Thread: Mercedes SLK Experience

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Never buy a manual Mercedes would be my only advice

This ^^^^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    This ^^^^^
    This, without a shadow of a doubt, buying a manual Merc will be probably the worst decision you'll make.
    I had a brand new manual C200 manual hire car recently and it was shocking.

Master
    Well....I'm glad I asked is all I can say! This really is quite overwhelming and almost unanimous against the manual. I think we'll have to try them back to back. There's a place only 4 miles up the road where we looked at a manual and he had a similarly specced auto so I'll ask to take the Pepsi challenge at the weekend.

Reassuring that the gearbox seems to be the only complaint though. Thanks for the input chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As I said, not what you're looking for per say but as its only covered 7000 miles from new, I thought it might be worth a metion!
    Can you PM me some details Dave? She has her heart set on the later model but I have tried to point her at the earlier one as it would be a slightly cheaper way in to ownership, and I think they still look alright for their age. Would be a hard sell I think but worth a try.

Master
    I have a R170 SLK 320 auto and am very pleased especially with the engine combined with the auto gearbox. Rust can be a problem as well as the electric (seats and seat heater). Check the motor for oil loss due to aged seals (especially the valve cover gasket). Not a big problem but seems to be quite common and can (and should) be fixed easily.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post

Can you PM me some details Dave? She has her heart set on the later model but I have tried to point her at the earlier one as it would be a slightly cheaper way in to ownership, and I think they still look alright for their age. Would be a hard sell I think but worth a try.
    Will do mate. That said, he is ex motor trade and with 7K miles and being like new (heated garage), I doubt it will be too cheap as an entry ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    and being like new (heated garage), I doubt it will be too cheap as an entry ;)
    I did think that as I wrote it! Cheers though.