Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
Quick question if I may, was/ is the reported high insurance cost for EV's a real thing or a bit of a scare story...More general observation, Insurance seems to have gone through the roof in GB cf other nations...
Well, a couple of months ago my wife hit a pheasant on a country road whilst driving our Cupra Born. Initially I didn’t spot any damage, but on closer inspection the lower grille had popped in slightly (looked like it would pop back if a could get to it tbh) and the sensor behind the black plastic square in the middle of the grille had fallen off and was dangling by a wire - with a message ‘front collision sensor impaired’ on the dash. Ultimately I was told the sensor (which obviously didn’t do its job well enough to save the pheasant!) would need replacing and/or recalibrating - and the recalibration alone was over £500 (!). The car was at the garage for about 5 days and we had a loan car in the meantime. Anyhow, as I was renewing the insurance this week on our other car I rang the insurance company to ask for the cost of the repair, if it was a fault claim etc. total cost was just over £1000. In the current scheme of things I don’t think that’s too bad?
To add, I also had a puncture a week ago in the same car, lots of sucking of teeth over having to wait for a new tyre from Kwik Fit (it was a run flat which apparently they can’t repair) - the wait was precisely 1 day! So in my experience that’s 2 myths busted!