closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mercedes SLK Experience

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries
    In the age old tradition of mentioning something that you haven't asked for;

I serviced my ex business partners car today. It's an SLK 320 auto, but the older R170. He has finally agreed to sell it as his wife never uses it. As I said, not what you're looking for per say but as its only covered 7000 miles from new, I thought it might be worth a metion!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also, as mentioned above, Merc manuals are poo. Buy an auto.

I have an R171, albeit the 55.. :) It's stupidly over-powered for normal use, I'd imagine the 200 is perfectly adequate for keeping up with the traffic. With regards to a manual, they aren't popular but at least it's got a normal handbrake as opposed to the stupid foot-operated parking brake that many Mercedes are afflicted with, so no dramas on that front. Also, unpopular = cheaper, generally.

Do make sure that the roof operates properly - they can be big money to fix. Apart from that, I'm not aware of any specific issues - make sure it's been looked after and you shouldn't go far wrong.

Cheers,

Plug

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Do make sure that the roof operates properly - they can be big money to fix. ...
    Check out the Wheeler Dealers episode on diagnosis and cheap fix if it doesn't - it's not difficult to resolve roof problems

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    - it's not difficult to resolve roof problems
    Not if you're called Ed China.........he makes everything look easy I saw that episode and I was mighty impressed!

As for the car, auto seems the way to go if you're looking at Mercedes. As an auto convert I`d never go back to manual for an everyday car.

Paul

Master
    Looking at the picture i think i can just make out that yours has the airscarf. It's the one thing i cannot understand has not made it into other cars as my friend has one of these and it really makes a difference on the cooler days.

Nearly bought one of these a few years back but ended up with MX5 as wifey wanted something smaller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Looking at the picture i think i can just make out that yours has the airscarf. It's the one thing i cannot understand has not made it into other cars as my friend has one of these and it really makes a difference on the cooler days.
    Yep, it does have Airscarf. It has pretty much everything in fact - very well specced. Not my favourite wheel design, but not worth skipping the car for.

Airscarf itself is a registered trademark of Mercedes, however Peugeot has "Airwave" in some models and Audi have "head level heating" (how very German) in the A5 cab. I only know all this because I asked myself the same question and found an article on the German Wikipedia!