closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Master

Home office reno and desk set-up

Ok so the light when in use was disappointing, the bar itself was in my mind too close to the screen, as a result scattered light poorly onto it.

Ordered a Quintis last night from Amazon which arrived pre 9am and have to say I’m very happy. It sits like the BenQ raised from the screen, but with a flexible mount allowing my daft monitor to work.

Webcam sits just above it sturdy enough without the need for an extra bracket.

Just need to decide on rear lighting of any. Toying with this for either behind the monitor, or along the rear edge of the desk facing the wall, but don’t think in that position it will throw much light out to the wall given how close the desk is.

https://amzn.eu/d/elk4rdz

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Ok so the light when in use was disappointing, the bar itself was in my mind too close to the screen, as a result scattered light poorly onto it.

Ordered a Quintis last night from Amazon which arrived pre 9am and have to say I’m very happy. It sits like the BenQ raised from the screen, but with a flexible mount allowing my daft monitor to work.

Webcam sits just above it sturdy enough without the need for an extra bracket.

Just need to decide on rear lighting of any. Toying with this for either behind the monitor, or along the rear edge of the desk facing the wall, but don’t think in that position it will throw much light out to the wall given how close the desk is.

https://amzn.eu/d/elk4rdz
    That looks good, Matt. Have a look at the Govee lighting for behind the monitor (and/or for the rear edge of the desk).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is my set up, not very designer or modern but functional.

^^^ Functional is key.

Not managed to paint the wall yet, but the Audioengine A2+ Wireless speakers have now been added and they sound and look great. Picked them up as-new from eBay for £140 delivered!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Functional is key.

Not managed to paint the wall yet, but the Audioengine A2+ Wireless speakers have now been added and they sound and look great. Picked them up as-new from eBay for £140 delivered!

That looks like a very sharp set-up!

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That looks like a very sharp set-up!
    Thanks! I'm nearly there, I think.

Master
    ^^^ Functional is key.

^^^ Functional is key.

Bloody hell what a bargain mate! They just running off the Mac headphone socket, or an amp (sorry if I missed this!) EDIT - just seen the are wireless :D

Did look at the govee rear lights that sort of sit below the monitor and point upwards but worried with all the cables I will cast some shadows. I really do want a 6500k light behind it though as know what it does to colours and blacks.

Did get interesting feedback of not looking engaged on teams, as was making looking at their video, which with the increased height of my camera made it look me look like was staring down at something else vs being present.

Also learned that with a light like this it seems to increase reflection in my glasses for those that are watching me on cam. Which means that if I’m flicking across screens and actually not paying attention it is more visible. Bugger.

Oh and thank god that top tv is now central, that makes the world of difference & I bet you’re not twitching as much now lol. Really glad you started this as made me challenge what I had / needed to tweak.

I also now have 2 LEGO cars to sell as it’s not going to work how I thought and need another race track. But was so much fun building them and a good break from a screen.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 25th April 2024 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Bloody hell what a bargain mate! They just running off the Mac headphone socket, or an amp (sorry if I missed this!)

Did look at the govee rear lights that sort of sit below the monitor and point upwards but worried with all the cables I will cast some shadows. I really do want a 6500k light behind it though as know what it does to colours and blacks.

Did get interesting feedback of not looking engaged on teams, as was making looking at their video, which with the increased height of my camera made it look me look like was staring down at something else vs being present.

Also learned that with a light like this it seems to increase reflection in my glasses for those that are watching me on cam. Which means that if I’m flicking across screens and actually not paying attention it is more visible. Bugger.

Oh and thank god that top tv is now central, that makes the world of difference & I bet you’re not twitching as much now lol. Really glad you started this as made me challenge what I had / needed to tweak.

I also now have 2 LEGO cars to sell as it’s not going to work how I thought and need another race track. But was so much fun building them and a good break from a screen.
    I bought the wireless version, Matt, so they're connected via Bluetooth (and they're powered - 60w peak - so don't need an amp). Theoretically I could play them in another room (if I wanted to, that is).

I know what you mean about the webcam position. Mine's a bit too high as well, but it seems to be the least bad of the options (e.g. I could go with my display camera - it's about 2.5" lower - but isn't anywhere near the image quality).

Master
    I bought the wireless version, Matt, so they're connected via Bluetooth (and they're powered - 60w peak - so don't need an amp). Theoretically I could play them in another room (if I wanted to, that is).

I know what you mean about the webcam position. Mine's a bit too high as well, but it seems to be the least bad of the options (e.g. I could go with my display camera - it's about 2.5" lower - but isn't anywhere near the image quality).
    I found moving 'my' image on the screen up to the top of the monitor via moving the teams window helped my visual engagement, tried putting the camera on the monitor under the light bar, but it just looked awful for me as was off centre.

I do wonder if the perfect camera set up exists for both viewers, sharers and lightning desires!

Do the speaker stay on vs any power saving function that drives me up the wall when my soundbar turns off? Thinking maybe having them as an option for my bedroom tv as hate the speakers on a 32" tv quality wise.

^^^ Functional is key.

They look great! Do try some stands to raise them closer to ear level, I found it makes a huge difference to clarity and imaging and removes any muddiness from reflections on the desk.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    They look great! Do try some stands to raise them closer to ear level, I found it makes a huge difference to clarity and imaging and removes any muddiness from reflections on the desk.

I've actually got them on the Audioengine angled rubber stands, so they're pointing straight at my ears (and buffered from the desk).

Anyway, shelving now up (standing against the wall behind me) so just the painting to go! Annoying that I couldn't decorate at the outset due to my health/condition, but so be it.

Last edited by learningtofly; 28th April 2024 at 10:02.

I've actually got them on the Audioengine angled rubber stands, so they're pointing straight at my ears (and buffered from the desk).

Anyway, shelving now up (on the wall behind me) so just the painting to go!

Nice. That's what I had originally, but then lifting them up on a riser still made a surprising difference. And my speakers have control to attenuate the frequency affected by the desk reflections!

Master

Anyway, shelving now up (standing against the wall behind me) so just the painting to go! Annoying that I couldn't decorate at the outset due to my health/condition, but so be it.

Shelves/ racks look great! What are they?
    I’m thinking of building some shelving to store the numerous guitar amps I seem to have accumulated!