closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bored Bored Bored

Ah. Presumably the jazz direction was a non-starter then. Shame.

Or not, as the forum may have lost you to a very different world indeed. Bored you may be of 'watch talk' but your writing is certainly interesting, and I enjoy your posts.

< ... I did write more but didn't want to turn this into a post 'about me'; your thread, your thoughts. >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I'm bored again. Too much time (BYOP™ - Bring Your Own Pun) spent on the forum and chasing/musing over watches. One seems to beget the other. Time to cut back on one, or go full Seffrican and cut both.
    Embarrassing though it is to admit this, I don't quite understand what that means

TBH, I think that boredom with anything is life's way of telling you to look around a bit more widely. As you know, I came back here quite recently. Think it was because I looked at the watch box I'd ignored for over a year and just thought something like "Huh. Wonder if there's anything new in the watch world. Maybe I should check in at TZ-UK." (And you know I wrote a post analysing how it looks from my refreshed perspective.) And that said, I can see where the boredom comes from. Right now, it's hard to even talk about watches because most of the chatter on here is about dealers taking over Shoe Corner - and all the personal vendettas that brings into play, a certain special interest group suffering extreme collective angst about Brexit-induced price rises, and a few individuals practising conspicuous displays of wealth that make most of the normal blokes and blokettes on here too intimidated to speak proudly of a new acquisition that cost a mere couple hundred quid.

It's a bit of a shame, really.

Actually on topic for Watch Talk: nice Citizen. My far more modest (yet still beloved) BM6400 says "Hi!"

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Ah. Presumably the jazz direction was a non-starter then. Shame.
    Shame indeed.

Jazz is niiiice.

In all seriousness, once you get into playing an instrument you will never be bored again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Chosen only because its what I'm wearing now. Must not overthink this. It's just a watch.
    Stick to your Landmasters. If you were told you could only wear one watch, you'd be OK with the Landmaster, eh?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Embarrassing though it is to admit this, I don't quite understand what that means

TBH, I think that boredom with anything is life's way of telling you to look around a bit more widely. As you know, I came back here quite recently. Think it was because I looked at the watch box I'd ignored for over a year and just thought something like "Huh. Wonder if there's anything new in the watch world. Maybe I should check in at TZ-UK." (And you know I wrote a post analysing how it looks from my refreshed perspective.) And that said, I can see where the boredom comes from. Right now, it's hard to even talk about watches because most of the chatter on here is about dealers taking over Shoe Corner - and all the personal vendettas that brings into play, a certain special interest group suffering extreme collective angst about Brexit-induced price rises, and a few individuals practising conspicuous displays of wealth that make most of the normal blokes and blokettes on here too intimidated to speak proudly of a new acquisition that cost a mere couple hundred quid.

It's a bit of a shame, really.

Actually on topic for Watch Talk: nice Citizen. My far more modest (yet still beloved) BM6400 says "Hi!"
    The Shoe Corner situation is definitely the worse thing, Crusty shoes should be banned forthwith.I've now discovered a phobia for viewing shoes, that in my 47 years I never realised I had.
    Rich boys boring me senseless about their Latest man jeweller is one thing but being made physically repulsed is too much!

I have just started yoga. Time will tell but I think this will be a long term pursuit.

A few things that appeal to me about it:

It is calming and as I get older I appreciate this.

It is a solid hour for thinking and mulling over the day, free from the world's distractions.

As someone who threw themselves into sports at a younger age, I have a myriad of injuries (3 ACL knee repairs for a start), yoga is very kind on the body and I find a lot of niggles clearing up.

Decades of sitting at a desk mean my hamstrings are tight. They are slowly unknotting.

There are some very attractive, very fit women in my class. And Lululemon make excellent leggings for these aforementioned young lasses.

Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    I have just started yoga. Time will tell but I think this will be a long term pursuit.

Are you sure?

It is a solid hour for thinking and mulling over the day, free from the world's distractions.
    Are you sure though?

There are some very attractive, very fit women in my class.
    Ah. I see.

Craftsman

As someone who threw themselves into sports at a younger age, I have a myriad of injuries (3 ACL knee repairs for a start), yoga is very kind on the body and I find a lot of niggles clearing up.

Decades of sitting at a desk mean my hamstrings are tight. They are slowly unknotting.

There are some very attractive, very fit women in my class. And Lululemon make excellent leggings for these aforementioned young lasses.
    I love how a topic can deviate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman LMAO View Post
    I love how a topic can deviate.
    He wasn't deviating, he was getting to the point :)

Simon

If we are here to suggest alternatives, cars - no, gardening - no , there is something Japanese specific I have been mulling over to suggest for a while. A friend of mine ( he's a member on here actually ) went to Japan a few years ago and each day sent me photos of what I can only describe and looking like something a Seal might puke up as being too weird to eat , strange Japanese cuisine ( usually seafood ) that looked and sounded very odd indeed, not normal sushi, just plain bizarre stuff that you wouldn't recognise as food. I can't recall other specifics but I admired his constitution and 'give it a go' attitude. Maybe a project to find the oddest food available to you? Mind you, you probably don't have to go far.
    Last edited by JasonM; 1st November 2016 at 12:57.

I think that bouts of ennui are a normal feature of the ageing process

As on some level you realise that there are more days behind than in front your attention increasingly wanders

Master
    Start obsessing about the need to remove Arsene Wenger from Arsenal, let your anger and obsession build. Every day fill your life with it. You'll never be bored and will probably have 10 more years of it unless he pops his clogs. It will fill up your time believe me!

Master
    On a slightly more sensible note, why not really try getting into a film or book genre and effectively become expert over time. I found at one point when in a high pressure environment that I really got into Scifi books, whether it was the need for headspace who knows. Try getting to replace one waning interest with a new interest . You might then find the watches holds a nice space alongside.

Master
    Being in Tokyo does that give easy access to Snowboarding in winter and Mountain Biking in summer?

They give opportunities to develop skills, health benefits and the obvious opportunity for more kit, what's not to like.

Working with free divers has given me a fascinating insight into the power of yoga. It is easy to assume that a good free diver is simply someone who has good lungs and so can hold their breath the longest, but there is a lot more of the cerebral about the sport and those who are the best at it are all yoga practitioners.

It is something I want to explore further.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

After all kinds of injuries I now regularly do yoga. It's a type of yoga called 'Forest yoga' and it's very hard work-
    It's not a gentle affair, you leave the class drenched in sweat.

One of the big bonuses is the eye candy- always present are some very fit women in tight lycra👍

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    After all kinds of injuries I now regularly do yoga. It's a type of yoga called 'Forest yoga' and it's very hard work-
    It's not a gentle affair, you leave the class drenched in sweat.

One of the big bonuses is the eye candy- always present are some very fit women in tight lycra
    My wife complained when a man (TZer at the back?) started going to her yoga class.

Shamefully apprehending the TZ-UK disciples with this update to my tale of watch-related cross bearing. For, topically, TT has risen once more!

Well, barely, but at my age one takes comfort in rising once, let alone again.

Firstly, thanks to those who offered their advice. Some very good ideas and in fact, I have taken one of them up. Secondly, I still mainly wear that Citizen. I can't claim to have not bought anything, but the outgoings greatly outnumber the incoming. I sold nine this weekend, including one (a boxed Seiko SKX, for £35) to a random WIS I met in the street on the way to the watch trading place. He seemed pleased.

A Citizen or Landmaster is my usual daily choice, with a Monster making an appearance from time to time. Most others have gone - IWC, Grand Seikos, less grand Seikos, Hermes, Citizens and Casios all culled. I snapped this as I write this post:

As for the other thing, as suggested here, I've been learning guitar. I dusted off my very old acoustic and, as Neil mentioned, found some superb tutorials on Youtube. In true Bryan Adams style, I played until my fingers bled. Actually, I played until I shut my thumb in a safe door and suffered a haematoma. (WIS content: I was retrieving a watch).

Just recently I picked up an electric:

It's a Yamaha Pacifica 112VM, perhaps the Seiko SKX of electric guitars.

It was odd coming to guitars from watches. Had to recalibrate. For a while I was looking at nothing under £1000 - because surely that's barely "decent watch money"? Then, having played (with) a few dozen, I realised that cheap modern guitars are pretty good. The Yamaha is almost unfairly easy to play and sounds terrific. It cost less than the deployant buckle for my Omega.

I'm sure I could get into more expensive guitars (is it inevitable?) but there is the issue of space. Unlike watches, which demand little in that regard, guitars are harder to stash in a small cupboard.

As "small cupboard" adequately describes most Tokyo living spaces, mine included, this presents a pleasing natural barrier to foolish unbounded aquisition.

Anyway, there we have it. My fall and rise.

Thanks and Happy Easter all

Paul

Welcome back Paul! Always knew you'd be back

Interesting to hear so much has been culled! Still kept a few GS? Oh and I managed to buy a Landmaster. What a cracker

Bored Bored Bored

Shamefully apprehending the TZ-UK disciples with this update to my tale of watch-related cross bearing. For, topically, TT has risen once more!

Well, barely, but at my age one takes comfort in rising once, let alone again.

Paul
    Enjoyed this post and nice to see a Pacifica- you really can't go wrong with one of those. My first guitar was an Argos special, I swear the strings were an inch off the fretboard so when I bought a Pacifica it was heaven; they're so nice to play. I'd suggest updating the pickups and the amp initially, instead of upgrading the guitar, when the time comes.
    Last edited by Thom4711; 17th April 2017 at 11:45.

Glory be!

He is risen.

Time to write your own religion, TT.

Blog Entries
    Skx boxed for £35? Where you feeling ok ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Welcome back Paul! Always knew you'd be back

Interesting to hear so much has been culled! Still kept a few GS? Oh and I managed to buy a Landmaster. What a cracker
    Thank you, I'm sure I'll declare myself bored at a future date and resurrect (just can't shake this theme...) the thread again! Kept one quartz GS, and one Landmaster. The GS will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    My first guitar was an Argos special, I swear the strings were an inch off the fretboard so when I bought a Pacifica it was heaven; they're so nice to play. I'd suggest updating the pickups and the amp initially, instead of upgrading the guitar, when the time comes.
    Aha! My first guitar was a Marlin Sidewinder, with a neck and strings you could have used for archery practice. The Pacifica is barely comparable. It plays so easily. The pickups are the alnico type, supposedly better than than the "entry" Pacifica, but that's another rabbit hole I'll try to avoid for now!

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Glory be!

He is risen.
    I'll soon be releasing my own line of buns

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm feeling your pain TT, you need to take a deep breath, focus and buy more watches. It's the future.
    Last edited by geoffcotton; 17th April 2017 at 13:49.

As for the other thing, as suggested here, I've been learning guitar.

I started in earnest myself at the beginning of the year, practising daily and getting my head around the theory too. No matter what you learn there's always something a little (or a lot) harder lying in wait. As Neil said, you won't get bored learning to play an instrument!
    F.T.F.A.

Is there quartz vs mechanical snobbery in the world of guitars ?
    Acoustic vs Electric?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Is there quartz vs mechanical snobbery in the world of guitars ? Acoustic vs Electric?
    Neck-through versus bolt-on.

Well I can identify strongly with TT our OP having been through all the same obsessions and even lived in the same place.

Cars: Caterham Porsche etc.. was a strong theme until I lived in Japan and that put that to bed for many years.

Then a 30 year music and hifi obsession was seriously reignited in Tokyo. Too much access to vintage vinyl replay gear and just plain gear everywhere you look. I went a bit mental back there and reached a bit of a zenith but eventually got bored.

Then rediscovered photography with so much to take photo's of in Japan. And so much gear! That was a pretty big Nikon and Fuji sized hole to fall down. Then bored.

Then watches. A chance intro to a watch collection was all I needed to kick off this particular obsession. TOO MUCH EASY ACCESS in Tokyo. When I visit (often) the easy access sends me into some kind of mental drug induced shopper.

First thing first. Sushi. Very important. Mustn't do shopping on an empty stomach and I'm usually desperate for the stuff (I won't eat it outside of Japan as life's too short for crap Sushi right?). Then hit Shinjuku. Hard. Yodobashi for the latest Seiko's, across the road to Map Camera and GMT and maybe around the corner to Lemon (Do I really still want 6x9?). Then meander off to Komehyo for a mega score via many places I forget the names of (probably also via Audio Union if I'm feeling nostalgic). Nakano Broadway next for some old Seiko hunting, Jack Road, Kamekichi, that headphone shop, another Sushi and Asahi top up before a mad dash off to Shibuya. Oh my, I love Shibuya for the happy memories of living there but mainly for Housekihiroba, basement of Bookoff, Recofan and Daikokuya. Finally a quick run around Tokyu Hands for some curiosities for wife and kids then back to hotel to store the swag before I have to get my game face on and do some work and meetings and stuff. The rest of the week being characterised by sneak peaks under the cuff at whatever floosie landed on there this time. And sore feet.

I'm convinced the root of your problem is Tokyo itself. It doesn't matter what the subject/hobby is. Tokyo is capable of catering for it in the greatest possible depth and is a city full of enormous rabbit holes to fall down.

I miss the place enormously but in some ways I am actually glad I don't live there anymore. Too much easy access!

I'll be in Nagoya Wed-Fri this week. 'Watch' this space...
    Last edited by fordy964; 17th April 2017 at 17:22.

I remember first reading this thread back in 2013 and thinking “Thank God it’s not just me then”. In some ways it helped temper my attitude towards watches and I’ll even admit to referring back to it once or twice since.

Boredom is both a moderating influence and safety valve, like a bungee cord it pulls me back if I’ve fallen too deep. It’s then, when I’ve had just about enough nonsense that I lock my watches away for a couple of weeks.

Tokyo sounds thrilling though. I would definitely need to pack a spare bungee cord for that trip.

Good to hear back from you Paul and thanks again for recommending the SBDW005 - its now my signature watch.

Good Post too fordy964.

Regards
    Peter

I bought my 4th lens for my Nikon yesterday- have my eye on a 5th and a new body.

Get obsessed with stuff - not I !

Master
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.' The watches/audio/guitars/whatever are the outward criteria, I would guess that the 'inner sensation' here is a kind of emptiness. It may just be part of the Human condition, as indeed, might be boredom.
    I doubt that any of it matters. A walk in the sun cures most things . Or a walk in the rain come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    [...]I'm convinced the root of your problem is Tokyo itself. It doesn't matter what the subject/hobby is. Tokyo is capable of catering for it in the greatest possible depth and is a city full of enormous rabbit holes to fall down.
    Had fun reading your post. Those places are all too familiar to me! I'd add Shibuya Kusumoto only for completeness, as I'm sure you know it. It is where most of my used watches get recycled. I live a few minutes walk away, which makes sating horological desires rather too easy. I've pondered before on the effect of scarcity.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    [...]thanks again for recommending the SBDW005 - its now my signature watch
    It is an excellent watch. I sold my Ohba limited edition one, but kept the SBDW005 which I had serviced last year. It will not be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.'
    A man's reach should exceed his grasp, as Browning sagely noted. But when everything is within easy reach...

Paul
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 17th April 2017 at 23:53.

The issue of space resonates with me, apartment living and a peripatetic life have significantly influenced what my interests have led me to accumulate. My enthusiasm for mechanical calculators, watches and sub-miniature cameras waxes and wanes but has yet to decline to the extent that I've felt the need to reduce any of the collections. I suspect that in a parallel universe my alternative self who made some different early lifestyle decisions has a number of steam locomotives in various states of disarray in the grounds of his estate.

However, the desire to experience the wider world has not abated at any point. It's a never ending obsession that can never be fully achieved and base location can only facilitate. There's always a different culture, community, history, language, geography, climate, fauna or flora to discover and appreciate. And despite best laid plans, my reach often exceeds my grasp.

Had fun reading your post. Those places are all too familiar to me! I'd add Shibuya Kusumoto only for completeness, as I'm sure you know it. It is where most of my used watches get recycled. I live a few minutes walk away, which makes sating horological desires rather too easy.
    I don't know that one at all, and never heard mention of it before. I didn't frequent that side of Shibuya so much as we lived behind Bunkamura. I'll be hitting that place up next trip for sure! Their watches looks to be very well priced and appear to move quite quickly so it's one of those places where you never know what you are going to find on the day. The most exciting kind.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A philosopher once remarked that ' inner sensations stand in need of outward criteria.' The watches/audio/guitars/whatever are the outward criteria, I would guess that the 'inner sensation' here is a kind of emptiness. It may just be part of the Human condition, as indeed, might be boredom.
    I doubt that any of it matters. A walk in the sun cures most things . Or a walk in the rain come to that.
    You don't consider your watches as 'proper' friends then?

The Komehyo online store does turn up some interesting Seiko and Citizen stuff, though even with the help of Google Translate I have found the ordering process to be impenetrable.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 18th April 2017 at 09:29.

Unless you're actively repairing, modding, or building watches I can't see it as a hobby.

If you're just buying stuff, that's not really a hobby, it's an expensive distraction. Sure it's nice to research, read and talk about purchases, we all do that. I do that with bike and photography stuff too, but the hobby part is being out and about, cycling or taking pictures, not the purchase of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Unless you're actively repairing, modding, or building watches I can't see it as a hobby.

If you're just buying stuff, that's not really a hobby, it's an expensive distraction. Sure it's nice to research, read and talk about purchases, we all do that. I do that with bike and photography stuff too, but the hobby part is being out and about, cycling or taking pictures, not the purchase of gear.
    Not sure I agree with you. Clearly in cycling you buy a bike to ride. It is all part if the hobby. Some guys prefer the buying of bikes over the riding them. Other people the other way around...

With watches we buy them to wear them and look at them or sometimes just to put away. Lots of people will prefer the buying to the wearing. Other people will simply enjoy wearing them and buy when possible.

I think it is possible to call this a hobby.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

'Hobby' : Oxford dictionaries, definition 1 :- 'An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.' Seems about right to me!

Even stamp collecting is regarded as a hobby!

I'm sure I'll declare myself bored at a future date and resurrect the thread again!
    I'm bored again.

The original post is over 10 years old but the reasons remain. Maybe this time I really am done with the whole malarkey? I am wearing a DW5600 most days and genuinely wondering why I used to be so excited by watches. Even the Landmaster has been been sold on.

Could it be I am, like an aged Iberian ham, finally cured?

I guess that can happen with any hobby. A break from it can lead to greater appreciation upon return in my experience. At least that’s how it was for me with fishing - I used to practice several days a week to enter two matches a week. Winning was great but losing became a serious pain in the but, and in the end I just gave it up. I was taking it too seriously and getting no pleasure out of it. Got talked into taking a friends son to learn how to fish and, excuse the pun, was hooked again; though now I only fish for the pleasure of being out there, catching is an ancillary and for me matches are no more.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t consider my interest in watches to be a hobby, I’d have to start taking them apart and servicing and modifying them for that. It’s an interest.

Hobbies are things you actually do … which for me is sailing, cycling, table tennis and walking. With skiing a holiday hobby.

Master
    I'm bored again.

The original post is over 10 years old but the reasons remain. Maybe this time I really am done with the whole malarkey? I am wearing a DW5600 most days and genuinely wondering why I used to be so excited by watches. Even the Landmaster has been been sold on.

Could it be I am, like an aged Iberian ham, finally cured?
    I was bored with most of my watches, so I bought an Invicta! (See thread elsewhere). You may be cured, but I probably still need treatment!

Bored Bored Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don’t consider my interest in watches to be a hobby, I’d have to start taking them apart and servicing and modifying them for that. It’s an interest.

Hobbies are things you actually do … which for me is sailing, cycling, table tennis and walking. With skiing a holiday hobby.
    Kind of agree with this, don’t see that just buying watches (and often as an investment), handbags, coats or anything else is really a hobby.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Kind of agree with this, don’t see that just buying watches (and often as an investment), handbags, coats or anything else is really a hobby.
    Same here....for myself its running, martial arts, playing the guitar etc. all I would class as hobbies.

Master
    There may be an economic cycle at work here, combined with a trend cycle. It’s a bad time to sell, and an even worse time to buy. It’s not a great year for brands to innovate either, unless they’re catering for the super rich. Vintage watches are starting to just look like old watches again, instead of interesting and original style statements. Due to the insane proliferation of glossy online watch sites, we’ve seen them all now. They were interesting in the first place because they came from decades that were looking forwards, not backwards. Most new watches look like weird cartoons of these old watches. I rarely feel that rush of blood when a new model comes out, reminding me why I liked watches in the first place, the last one being the GS hand wound white birch at W&W, the only watch of interest this year. However it doesn’t feel like a particularly sensible use of £10k. Selling three very nice watches to buy one simply doesn’t add up. There’s no other grail I’m lusting after, and the only obvious choice would be too expensive to wear out without being in fear for your life. I’ve no regrets as everything I’ve bought over the years has been beautiful and turned out to be a relative bargain, you could even argue that certain watches were free if bought at the right moment, a completely guilt free indulgence. But there’s nothing that fits that description now. If one of my friends spent a small fortune on a current luxury watch from a boutique, I’d probably think they’d gone mad.

Things may change as they inevitably do with economic boom and bust cycles, when there’s money in pockets and the value of collections is rising, things can look very different. But it’s not clear if the new energy will be in watches, or something else. I don’t consider this a hobby, more of an interest, a pastime, or perhaps a particularly deep retail therapy rabbit hole. Whatever it is, it functions better when prices are rising, presenting opportunities to consolidate, and buy something new and fascinating. Clearly those aren’t the conditions right now, it seems a better time to enjoy what you have, than chase after the next expensive dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    [some excellent points]...
    it seems a better time to enjoy what you have, than chase after the next expensive dream.
    Indeed. I do wonder if the "cycle" though will repeat. It would need some new enthusiastic fans, ones not solely interested in the Instatokfacetube investment angle, to get aboard to replace us old, tired and bored "collectors" or hobbyists or whatever we are. There was a generation who enjoyed asset inflation, low interest rates, decent jobs (in suits!) and relative peace, enough conditions to fan the flames. I am not sure I see it lasting beyond the very niche interest level in the future.

Blog Entries
    We (need) ones solely interested in the Instatokfacetube investment angle, to get aboard to replace us old, tired and bored "collectors" or hobbyists or whatever we are..
    FTFY

Sadly onboarding is closed here at the moment so this forum will slowly die off like a withering apple tree until only a stump remains.

gosh I feel happy today !
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th May 2024 at 12:47.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Lots of watch companies seem to think there's a pandemic lockdown still underway with its spike in demand for their goods, and are continuing to elevate their prices accordingly.

At the same time, few of them seem to think they need to innovate or add value to their products - some seem to think their price rises are a good time to offer a bit less by shifting their budget offerings up to a higher price band...

Add to that most of the mainstream watch media are obsessed with a handful of the most predictable 'prestige' brands - you know, the ones that just move the slider bar on the dial colour setting once a year and then spend seven-figures advertising the "Exciting New Colourway!" to the squealing adulation of the Faithful...

Meanwhile used prices are dropping no matter how hard vested interests insist they are not, locking those who have budget limits / self-control into a corner.

Plus the old currant-bun is putting-in its very British 2-day shift in before it gets its head down for another fortnight...

Seems the right time to be a bit bored with watches.