closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bored Bored Bored

I know this isn’t the point of the thread but the term colourway makes me want to stab someone.

"Colourway" = +20% on the price

Stabbing's too good for 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I know this isn’t the point of the thread but the term colourway makes me want to stab someone.
    Agreed, it makes me cringe like when classic car dealers describe a green car with beige interior as 'green over tan' - pretentious as hell

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    But do you have that form factor in that colourway?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I'm bored again.

The original post is over 10 years old but the reasons remain. Maybe this time I really am done with the whole malarkey? I am wearing a DW5600 most days and genuinely wondering why I used to be so excited by watches. Even the Landmaster has been been sold on.

Could it be I am, like an aged Iberian ham, finally cured?
    You like Casios, maybe you could get into modding.

e.g. https://www.skxmod.com/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Right, as it seems to be some kind of ritual after being on this forum for a while, I too would like to inform you, in anticipation of your obvious eager interest, that I'm bored of watches. Not the forum. Watches.

You can almost fill in the rest from any of the previous posts on this. Buy watch, wear it, take pic, buy another, put one in the box, read about a different one, buy another, sell one, take more pics, buy strap, write watch-related nonsense, buy strap, sell watch, buy another, keep empty boxes and bubble wrap around "just in case", read watch-related nonsense. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Bored bored bored. "Basel" ? About as interested as I am in the latest photocopier models. It's not a hobby, it's a waste of time.

Paul
    Digits on a banking page are more boring

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    You like Casios, maybe you could get into modding.
    Thanks, yes I was into modding for a while many years back. Mainly SKXs with parts (dials/hands/crystals) from Dagaz. Eventually I managed to attain enough kit and sufficient incompetence to repair a few 70s watches too, as well as wrecking a few more.

The less said of my hydro-modding efforts, the better.

I think I haven't left much on the table as far as messing around with watches goes. Quartz, mechanical, ana-digi, digital, spring drive, solar, modern, vintage, rare, common, military, civilian, kinetic, cheap, not cheap. Round and round and round it goes. Probably why I like the DW5600 at the moment. It's unpretentious and unchanged, like the last 40 years never happened.

To be clear, I still like the forum. As even this ancient thread shows, the subject of watches is really only the tenter hook upon which we hang our colourful yarns, weaving a patchwork of community conversation. It'll be a shame if (when...) this goes too. If the forum really is shut to new entrants, I suppose that clock is ticking too.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 5th May 2024 at 16:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, yes I was into modding for a while many years back. Mainly SKXs with parts (dials/hands/crystals) from Dagaz. Eventually I managed to attain enough kit and sufficient incompetence to repair a few 70s watches too, as well as wrecking a few more.

The less said of my hydro-modding efforts, the better.

I think I haven't left much on the table as far as messing around with watches goes. Quartz, mechanical, ana-digi, digital, spring drive, solar, modern, vintage, rare, common, military, civilian, kinetic, cheap, not cheap. Round and round and round it goes. Probably why I like the DW5600 at the moment. It's unpretentious and unchanged, like the last 40 years never happened.
    Apologies - did not realised you had already been right down that rabbit hole. Respect that you dared to mess with a spring drive!

This thread is a bit pessimistic. Here are some thoughts from me:

1. If watches bore you, well maybe you have reached the end of the road with them? Interests come and go in our lives, it isn't something to mourn - find a new hobby and embrace it.

2. Personally, i find new watches utterly dull. Rolex, Patek, blah blah... mostly bought by boring people to make a quick profit, many i find ugly and ostentatious. I have found a love for neo-vintage pieces. There is a whole host of interesting Breguet, Blancpain, Ebel history that people are just stumbling upon now. Not saying this will interest you, but this is what interests me and when this current obsession ends, maybe that'll be it for me, or maybe it'll be a segue into a new watch obsessions, who knows.

3. I am relatively young (34) and although this hobby is a bit bizarre to my comtemporaries, the covid driven boom in watch prices has generated interest in watches for younger people, and not all of them just obsess about the latest daytona. I have many friends interested in unique pieces - check out watch brothers London - Ben Dunne is a buddy of mine, younger than me and the next generation of watch collectors and academics.

Lastly, the forum may be closed to new members, but there are plenty of forums that aren't. Just because TZ might be on the slide doesn't mean every watch forum is, and if we want to fight to keep this forum going for the next generation, maybe we need to raise the topic with Eddie and see what we can do to encourage new membership.

I can relate with the OP’s sentiment.

I’m also a bit bored.

I’ve got a few nice pieces, entry level offerings from mid tier Swiss brands like omega, IWC. A couple of higher end models from entry level Swiss like Longines and TAG. I don’t feel compelled to go higher up the luxury ladder and spend more money, yet I find the lower end stuff unexciting.

I’m a bit done with Seiko prospex, I wish there was something a bit higher end that wasn’t 44mm+. G-shocks are all the same, I’ve tried countless microbrands, none of them stick. I’ve worked out Damasko and Sinn aren’t for me. I’m over the retro look so Doxa and other cushion cases are out.

I don’t have a diver so I tried on a planet ocean and a Breitling superocean heritage, they both left me a bit cold.

I don’t know, it feels like I’m moping around looking for excitement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I can relate with the OP’s sentiment.

I’m also a bit bored.

I’ve got a few nice pieces, entry level offerings from mid tier Swiss brands like omega, IWC. A couple of higher end models from entry level Swiss like Longines and TAG. I don’t feel compelled to go higher up the luxury ladder and spend more money, yet I find the lower end stuff unexciting.

I’m a bit done with Seiko prospex, I wish there was something a bit higher end that wasn’t 44mm+. G-shocks are all the same, I’ve tried countless microbrands, none of them stick. I’ve worked out Damasko and Sinn aren’t for me. I’m over the retro look so Doxa and other cushion cases are out.

I don’t have a diver so I tried on a planet ocean and a Breitling superocean heritage, they both left me a bit cold.

I don’t know, it feels like I’m moping around looking for excitement
    Oh, how your remarks resonates for me.
    My only saving grace is this beauty that keeps my interest alive, recent incoming.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I'm not bored. Prices are dropping and that is a good thing. It means I can gradually afford more and more watches that I previously wanted but was priced out of. Nothing amazing like Rolex/PP/whatever -- just vintage Seikos!

It also seems to me that this is an opportunity to re-find that fascination with 'cheap' and simple watches. Certainly, Time Factors and burgeoning new Chinese brands are leading the way with this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Plus the old currant-bun is putting-in its very British 2-day shift in before it gets its head down for another fortnight...
    Yerwo?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yerwo?

Wo I mean is: 'tis a time to be doing Outsidey Things rather than insidey watchthings*

*Tho' I may not necessarily be practicing what I'm preaching....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Wo I mean is: 'tis a time to be doing Outsidey Things rather than insidey watchthings*

*Tho' I may not necessarily be practicing what I'm preaching....
    Ahhhhhhhhhh.......... thank you.

Yes, it brought me great pleasure to see honey bees, yes, actual honey bees, busily collecting nectar from some blue weeds in my front garden. I haven't seen honey bees for several years.