closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you could ask TF to homage any watch, what would it be and why?

Hybrid View

Smiths Astral Diver.

Such a cool watch and the timing seems right with Seiko and Tudor releasing smaller dive watches.

Last edited by Rocket Man; 2nd September 2023 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Smiths Astral Diver.

Such a cool watch and the timing seems right with Seiko and Tudor releasing smaller dive watches.

I have one of these and despite making good money these days, it really isn't a good watch.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I have one of these and despite making good money these days, it really isn't a good watch.

Eddie
    Interesting, why isn't it a good watch? The case looks similar to the 62MAS.

Although I have read that the original 62MAS wasn't a very good watch either!
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 3rd September 2023 at 12:29.

Eddie
    Built to look like that but with your specs it would be Eddie.

The hands never look right to me, far too small and skinny.

Craftsman

Eddie
    The movement is pretty decent/standard SmithS fare but so many period budget divers used this case, the operative word being 'budget'. For me as a pretty avid SmithS collector I have felt for many years that I can't justify the price that these fetch, given the quality of the case. They do have many fans though for sure. It would be interesting to see an aesthetically faithful 'Eddie' version with improvements. Mind you with the recent return of the PRS82 is another diver needed in the line up??

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Smiths Astral Diver.

I really do love these, would like to see a well built reissue

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Would love to see a good homage to this :

Master
    Thinking more about this, while the Torpilleur is certainly a strong candidate, the watch I'd most like to see hommaged is this one - the Heuer Bundeswehr. No date and full 43mm size - it just wouldn't work smaller than that.

Sinn did their own issued version of the Bundeswehr spec back in the day, and have reissued versions of it 'right' a couple of times (as in the Dark Star special edition from a few years ago), though mostly they've got it wrong with too many subdials in the wrong orientation, or coloured hands, or a date that unbalances everything. The simplicity of the original design wins out.

A cheapo version was made using a Chinese handwound movement a few years ago (the watch looks the part but isn't terribly well made or reliable) but I'd love to see this properly done with the two subdial Sellita movement (auto by preference, for convenience, though handwound is of course more original).

A close relative in design concept is the Zenith Chronometro Tipo CP2 (a generally faithful reissue of Zenith's Cairelli 1960s watch for the Italian airforce), which is more svelte and somehow smaller on the wrist than the Heuer/Sinn watches (despite its similar measured 43mm diameter) ... in may ways it's absolutely the perfect watch.

The smaller bezel gives a lovely sense of openness to the dial, and it's very slim thanks to the El Primero movement which adds to the sense of delicacy - Zenith's re-make is far less tool-watch than Heuer or Sinn's take, more dress-watch-with-toolwatch-design-cues, with its thin, polished case as opposed to brushed/blasted on the Heuer or Sinn. Wouldn't look right at all on a bund strap.

A quality homage based on either would work for me ...

Last edited by kk; 17th April 2024 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Thinking more about this, while the Torpilleur is certainly a strong candidate, the watch I'd most like to see hommaged is this one - the Heuer Bundeswehr. No date and full 43mm size - it just wouldn't work smaller than that.

Sinn did their own issued version of the Bundeswehr spec back in the day, and have reissued versions of it 'right' a couple of times (as in the Dark Star special edition from a few years ago), though mostly they've got it wrong with too many subdials in the wrong orientation, or coloured hands, or a date that unbalances everything. The simplicity of the original design wins out.

A cheapo version was made using a Chinese handwound movement a few years ago (the watch looks the part but isn't terribly well made or reliable) but I'd love to see this properly done with the two subdial Sellita movement (auto by preference, for convenience, though handwound is of course more original).

A close relative in design concept is the Zenith Chronometro Tipo CP2 (a generally faithful reissue of Zenith's Cairelli 1960s watch for the Italian airforce), which is more svelte and somehow smaller on the wrist than the Heuer/Sinn watches (despite its similar measured 43mm diameter) ... in may ways it's absolutely the perfect watch.

The smaller bezel gives a lovely sense of openness to the dial, and it's very slim thanks to the El Primero movement which adds to the sense of delicacy - Zenith's re-make is far less tool-watch than Heuer or Sinn's take, more dress-watch-with-toolwatch-design-cues, with its thin, polished case as opposed to brushed/blasted on the Heuer or Sinn. Wouldn't look right at all on a bund strap.

A quality homage based on either would work for me ...

The good people at Sinn heard you, introducing the Sinn 155S Bright Star LE. From the looks of it, they have addressed all the issues you mentioned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    The good people at Sinn heard you, introducing the Sinn 155S Bright Star LE. From the looks of it, they have addressed all the issues you mentioned.

Just checked it out. Was completely unaware. Thanks for letting me know.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban_Gent View Post
    I really do love these, would like to see a well built reissue

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
    I agree, it's a great looking skin diver, a well built modern reissue would be fantastic.....