closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Car Insurance Shock!

I was speaking to a friend in Knoxville TN who is in his 80s last night and he had just renewed his car insurance which was $1800 for the year, I forget what car he has but its nothing special.

Master
    Last year had multi car with LV. Only cost was £400 for the wife’s 4 year old v40 (8000 miles) and my old 2009 SLK 280 (4000miles).
    This year they were looking for £580, nearly a 50% increase. So got 2 separate policies from Aviva and AA for £410. Never even bothered trying to phone LV to get them to negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    We’re back to the shopping around to get a reasonable renewal and sod any loyalty I think.
    Loyalty from or for a car insurance company? Not seen any sign of that for the best part of two decades.

I'd happily stay with the same company for life, but I've only ever accepted a renewal quote once. Every other time has been the usual yearly hike for no reason except greed.

Just signed off on a new policy for £40 cheaper than last year so it's not 100% price hikes everywhere.

Master
    With Hastings - car is a Volvo XC40, increased from £750 to £940, and OK with that as friends locally have had theirs doubled.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    With Hastings - car is a Volvo XC40, increased from £750 to £940, and OK with that as friends locally have had theirs doubled.
    Surely shop around though? I was expecting at least a 25% increase, but actually reduced it for whatever reason

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Surely shop around though? I was expecting at least a 25% increase, but actually reduced it for whatever reason
    Shopping around takes time, but so easy to give a comparison site such as Confused.com a whirl every year. And it takes 5 mins. That is my level of shopping around.

Plus you also get a chunk of cash back every year via Quidco or TopCashback making the savings even greater.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Shopping around takes time, but so easy to give a comparison site such as Confused.com a whirl every year. And it takes 5 mins. That is my level of shopping around.

Plus you also get a chunk of cash back every year via Quidco or TopCashback making the savings even greater.
    That’s all I do. All the details are already loaded in the account so just click go.

Always do it 20-26 days before renewal is due. It’s a tip from MSE and it works.

One more data point - 52 (nearly)-y-o, 2016 Mazda MX-5. Full NCB, no convictions.

Last year, with Ageas, £375 fully comp. This year, their renewal price was £537, an increase of 42%.

Five minutes on Go Compare, and I'm now with AVIVA and it cost me £283, still fully comp, a reduction of 25%.

To say that I'm pleased is an understatement - I was preparing to have my pants pulled down.

Mentioned earlier in the thread that my insurance for our Polo had gone down £10.00 with Aviva, but was apprehensive for the Abarth. Well that’s gone down too by £8.00 to £161.00. Not complaining and puts the motivation to sell it on hold for now.

Blog Entries
    Renewal from DL came in for wife's Audi TT Roadster; was £185 last year (max no claims, 5000pa mileage etc). This year it's £305 for the same.

Time to shop around.