closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The guitar I enjoy playing most these days is this old Kinkade

The guitars I have been playing in the last few years are on my You Tube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/moondogg...?feature=guide

Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    Wow, some lovely guitars on here given its a watch forum.

Here are my 2:

1. Jay Black designed classic player Mexican Strat with texas specials in Aztec Gold

2. Stock 2011 Baja Tele in BSB

Attachment 1000

Great to see the gordon smith guitars on here, that was my main axe for a long time when i was young
    Both very nice.

Those CP's are supposed to be excellent

What's the Baja like, shape of neck etc?

I fancy one of those myself.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Twelve strings can be fun. I still have this one somewhere If I can find it I will post a photo.
    Meanwhile this is when I last played it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJOG...2&feature=plcp

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Both very nice.

Those CP's are supposed to be excellent

What's the Baja like, shape of neck etc?

I fancy one of those myself.
    Hi neil

The classic player is great - its actually a fender special run designed by jay that then became the classic player when it proved popular. No idea, how collectible this makes it, as i have only seen a a couple for sale. The tex specials have a very real fender tone, great neck tone for blues.

Its only my playing that lets the guitar down!

The baja is my go-to guitar, absolutely my favourite fender that i have owned ( i have been throuh a few!,). Neck is thick and not to glossy, great for thumping out some rock and roll chords, or a bit of country pickin.

The s1 switch means you have the classic tele twang but also some nice out of phase humbuckerish noises and a thicker tone if needed. Through a blues junior you can rally get that classic rock crunch. Would love to hear it through a marshall, will do that when i am next at the guitar store.

Finish is great and the BSB is lovely, mine has a nice grain coming through so overall, given the price point i think they really are great value.

Here's my current collection, minus the black Tele which I got rid of..

Gretsch 6120
    Gretsch Corvette
    Fender Baja Telecaster
    Danelectro U2
    Danelectro 'Dano 63'

The Danos I use mostly in my beat band The Pacifics (link in sig), the rest I used when I used to be on tour a lot with various bands. Not doing that so much any more so they don't get quite as much use as they used to!

The one I play most at the moment would be the Baja Telecaster. Love it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nickwray View Post

Here's my current collection, minus the black Tele which I got rid of..

Gretsch 6120
    Gretsch Corvette
    Fender Baja Telecaster
    Danelectro U2
    Danelectro 'Dano 63'

The Danos I use mostly in my beat band The Pacifics (link in sig), the rest I used when I used to be on tour a lot with various bands. Not doing that so much any more so they don't get quite as much use as they used to!

The one I play most at the moment would be the Baja Telecaster. Love it.
    Nice collection Nick, see my sentimentsnabove re the baja - totally agree they are great guitars even at a higher price point

Yeah, I'd have to agree with everything you said there Roy. Except the S1 switch, I didn't like that too much so I got rid of it.
    The four way pickup selector is brilliant though, with it switched all the way to the left the neck and bridge at full whack sound unbelievable!

Hi neil

The classic player is great - its actually a fender special run designed by jay that then became the classic player when it proved popular. No idea, how collectible this makes it, as i have only seen a a couple for sale. The tex specials have a very real fender tone, great neck tone for blues.

Its only my playing that lets the guitar down!

The baja is my go-to guitar, absolutely my favourite fender that i have owned ( i have been throuh a few!,). Neck is thick and not to glossy, great for thumping out some rock and roll chords, or a bit of country pickin.

The s1 switch means you have the classic tele twang but also some nice out of phase humbuckerish noises and a thicker tone if needed. Through a blues junior you can rally get that classic rock crunch. Would love to hear it through a marshall, will do that when i am next at the guitar store.

Finish is great and the BSB is lovely, mine has a nice grain coming through so overall, given the price point i think they really are great value.
    Cheers Roy, great info.

Have seen nothing but good remarks about the Baja's (and they look gorgeous) so I doubt I'd go far wrong.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Cheers Roy, great info.

Have seen nothing but good remarks about the Baja's (and they look gorgeous) so I doubt I'd go far wrong.
    Yeah, i played 3-4 before i picked mine and none were duds. Unlike some other guitar manufacturers where 2 guitars from the same line can feel so different.......

I was after BSB or desert sand, but would have changed the pickguard on desert sand to black. The burst is not really my thing although it looks good in the flesh - the bsb is so tied to the history of the tele that it won in the end!

Journeyman
    Custom made Explorer with Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio. Some dusty details... :) It looks like the guitar is solid black but it's a little transpared smoke like and you can see some wooden grain in center of the body...

USA made Hammer Studio with Seymour Duncans.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by opop View Post
    Custom made Explorer with Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio. Some dusty details... :) It looks like the guitar is solid black but it's a little transpared smoke like and you can see some wooden grain in center of the body...

Dude, your Explorer looks ready to RAWK! What amp are you blasting that bad boy through?

That looks jolly! Any reason for it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Dude, your Explorer looks ready to RAWK! What amp are you blasting that bad boy through?
    Well I'm not active player at the moment (not in a band right now) so I only have transistor 80W Rath-Amp combo at the moment and some Boss and Marshall distortion pedals I use for the heavier stuff. Rath-Amp is really bargain killer for the clean sound but the distortion is only for rock n roll, so I use pedals for the metal. I have used some tube Peaveys, Line6 and Marshall also in the past...

Journeyman
    That looks jolly! Any reason for it?
    The quitar is one of the three of series signature models of my old gothic rock/metal band so I thought that some "expression" could be suitable for the guitar. :) So our basist and other guitarist have a bass and Flying V build in a same colour sheme like my Explorer. There are also some more background for the "Misery" text because I liked very much of old Metallica when I was younger and I thought that James Hetfield had awesome white Explorer in the early days... and my first favourite song from Metallica's Black Album was "My Friend Of Misery" so it's also a little tribute for the old Metallica and James which were one of my great favourites back in the days...

The quitar is one of the three of series signature models of my old gothic rock/metal band so I thought that some "expression" could be suitable for the guitar. :) So our basist and other guitarist have a bass and Flying V build in a same colour sheme like my Explorer. There are also some more background for the "Misery" text because I liked very much of old Metallica when I was younger and I thought that James Hetfield had awesome white Explorer in the early days... and my first favourite song from Metallica's Black Album was "My Friend Of Misery" so it's also a little tribute for the old Metallica and James which were one of my great favourites back in the days...
    Ah right, thanks for the explanation.

I know you Scandanavian blokes are often very fond of your metal music.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Well I'm not active player at the moment (not in a band right now) so I only have transistor 80W Rath-Amp combo at the moment and some Boss and Marshall distortion pedals I use for the heavier stuff. Rath-Amp is really bargain killer for the clean sound but the distortion is only for rock n roll, so I use pedals for the metal. I have used some tube Peaveys, Line6 and Marshall also in the past...
    Have never tried a Rath-Amp, but rock n roll is my thing so might have to check one out - can find out much about them in the UK though. Is it tube or solid state?

Journeyman
    Have never tried a Rath-Amp, but rock n roll is my thing so might have to check one out - can find out much about them in the UK though. Is it tube or solid state?
    Yes it's a solid state and it's affordable German brand I guess. I don't know if they make them anymore. I don't know if the dirty channel is very good but I like very much the clean tone of my combo. Rath-Amp Retro 80 was the official name I guess. It's like this but mine is beige and I have removed the cheesy logo away.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the pic, looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by shrewster View Post
    Love the Strat Rob, any background on year etc?
    Cheers, Unfortunately it's not a 50's original. It's a Classic Series 50's Strat from 2005.
    It's a great guitar to play and looks pretty cool too. I love it.

That's very nice. love the colours!

Here's my custom quote 58 vos; oh i've put up a cheap good quality amp on SC if anyones looking for one!

Craftsman
    Hey ghosty

Alas I cant see SC, is it against all forum rules for you to tell me what the amp is, and whether it is tube?!

Regards

Roy

Hey ghosty

Alas I cant see SC, is it against all forum rules for you to tell me what the amp is, and whether it is tube?!

Regards

Roy
    It's an Engl Gigmaster 15 watt all tube head ....

PM Mike (Ghosty) if interested, he's a good bloke.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    Here's my custom quote 58 vos; oh i've put up a cheap good quality amp on SC if anyones looking for one!

Beautiful Mike.

What's the difference between the '58 and '59?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    It's an Engl Gigmaster 15 watt all tube head ....

PM Mike (Ghosty) if interested, he's a good bloke.
    Thanks Neil.

I am after a combo - probably for the best anyway as I am not supposed to be buying more gear at the moment!

Journeyman
    Beautiful Mike.

What's the difference between the '58 and '59?
    Hi Neil,
    58 has a thicker neck profile and is usually a plain top finish - that's what makes Mike's particularly special, its got a lovely flame like a 59!

Quote Originally Posted by shrewster View Post
    Hi Neil,
    58 has a thicker neck profile and is usually a plain top finish - that's what makes Mike's particularly special, its got a lovely flame like a 59!
    Thanks, I did wonder, especially as they vary a bit in price.

Mike would have a good 'un, he gets first pickings.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

cheers for the praise neil!

the thing with a custom quote is the custom shop do some one offs, this is one of them, it was in a list i got from them and took a chance!

this would have been north of £4.5k if i'd have bought it over the counter!

If anyone wants to buy a good solid custom shop cheap, then look at a 57 darkback or a 58. They aint cheap but compaired to 59's they are and they have the same sound!

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Twelve strings can be fun. I still have this one somewhere If I can find it I will post a photo.
    Meanwhile this is when I last played it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEJOG...2&feature=plcp

That's a lovely twelve stringer Tim and a beautiful composition

Here's my only twelve stringer, an old Epi at top left..

Cheers, John

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    That's a lovely twelve stringer Tim and a beautiful composition

Here's my only twelve stringer, an old Epi at top left..

Cheers, John

Thanks

Nice selection on your wall there. Nice to see those Epiphones. What is that semi to the right ?

And what's that mad looking semi to the left John....Italian?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My lovely wife bought me an electric guitar yesterday. It's for my birthday in a few weeks time, so then I will be able to join this thread. First guitar for me, so just bought Bert Weedons book so I can learn to actually play the thing

Craftsman
    Hi loquacious

Welcome the guitar!!

It can be frustrating at times, but if you stick with it, its so rewarding to be able to make your own music. The bert weedon book is great, and may have taught more guitarists than any other.

Another site i would recommend is justinguitar.com. The site is free, there is a well laid out beginners course plus plenty of lessons in all areas once you have the basics down. It has great advice onnwhat to practice and how to organise your practice.

Best of luck!

Regards

Roy
    Last edited by therooster; 16th September 2012 at 12:06. Reason: Missing word!

Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    My lovely wife bought me an electric guitar yesterday. It's for my birthday in a few weeks time, so then I will be able to join this thread. First guitar for me, so just bought Bert Weedons book so I can learn to actually play the thing
    Good man. What guitar did you get?

You might also find www.justinguitar.com helpful for learning.

Quote Originally Posted by java View Post
    Thanks

Nice selection on your wall there. Nice to see those Epiphones. What is that semi to the right ?
    Hi Tim

The guitar at the right side is a 1960 Hofner President, it had a Framus passive pickup fitted somewhere back in it's history..

And what's that mad looking semi to the left John....Italian?
    Hi Neil

The one on the left is a Japanese buily Commodore from 1970 with the top E string missing!!

A more recent addition that is probably as old as the Hofner is this one piece guitar, it has a strange smaller plug on the skinny coax, Burns Tri-Sonic pickups and a Rangemaster wammy bar!!!

It also came in an old Selmer hardcase, the whole lot for £25!!!!!! (at the bootsale!!)..

The chap I bought it from works at a local private dumpit site and often has a huuuge stall of all the crap that comes from the dump but does bring the occasional gem like this Marshall DSL401 40watt combo- for £25 (seems to be his fave figure!!)..

It needs two valves (tubes to our US cousins), I ordered two equivilant Ruskie replacements, all the blurb said they were a direct replacement but the damned things wouldn't go through the opening in the steel case as the glass bulb was slightly too fat!!

The two on the left are shot (#3 & 4)..

Cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post

Another one here wants to know what you got.

BTW Here's your first lesson via a punk fanzine in around 1977...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Hi Neil

The one on the left is a Japanese buily Commodore from 1970 with the top E string missing!!

Thanks for the info on the Commodore John, looks a nice thing.

That white one is a mystery but lovely old Selmer case.

What with that and that Marshall valve amp @ £25 that bloke down the dump is worth cultivating!

Great finds.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=johnbaz;2436527]Hi Tim

The guitar at the right side is a 1960 Hofner President, it had a Framus passive pickup fitted somewhere back in it's history..

The Hofner president was the first guitar I ever owned, that was in 1961. :-)

[QUOTE=java;2436894]
    Hi Tim

The Hofner president was the first guitar I ever owned, that was in 1961. :-)

Hi Tim

We had a rep call to give us a quote for new windows fitted, he happened to be a player and regularly played before 3,000 people, he was at our house for over four hours, around two of those were playing my guitars!!

Gawd he was good too!!!

He had a very nice old twin register chrongraph on his wrist that he wanted to swap for the Hofner, I declined the swap as I like the old President and I feel sure I wouldn't be able to pick another up for the same as I paid for this one (£30 at the local bootsale!!)..

Cheers, John

Master
    Well I only have the one guitar unlike some of the impressive collections in here, I bought it new in 1986 and still use it although I'm ashamed of how long it is since I played. Here is a pic of the headstock which I still love. Kudos to anyone who can ID it.

It's an Alvarez and I claim my 10 pounds.

Master
    correct - I think for full kudos more detail would be required - no money was offered!

When I was in my late teens a mate of mine had a band but he didn't have a bass player so he tried to teach me. We started with 'Sunshine of Your Love' and he lent me a lovely bright red 'look a like' Precision bass and I started to try and learn it.
    Then he found a bass player who had his own bass who joined the band and I bought the red bass for £25 which was a lot of money in 1970 and tried but playing on your own with no amp or speaker was difficult. It got sold a couple of years later...

Then last year I saw one of these....

I thought I would be able to have another go and I have discovered my fingers are not as supple as they once were.

I do quite fancy one of these

but I am going to have to wait until I move across the pond as they are a lot cheaper over there.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGS View Post
    correct - I think for full kudos more detail would be required - no money was offered!

I think the full name would be Alvarez Yairi (hence the stylised AY on the headstock), I read that they are very impressive instruments too

Cheers, John

Johnbaz, check Watford valves for some EL84's those ore the output valves, or take your amp to be revolved, yu can't bias it yourself and they aren't plug and play.

Btw the sockets are in a c shape so yu have to manovure the valve around until it plugs in, also hold them with a cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    Johnbaz, check Watford valves for some EL84's those ore the output valves, or take your amp to be revolved, yu can't bias it yourself and they aren't plug and play.

Btw the sockets are in a c shape so yu have to manovure the valve around until it plugs in, also hold them with a cloth.

Thanks Ghostie

I'll heed your advice and just take it in to the techie who is about ten minutes from me

John

Here's a pic of my latest acquisition following on from a couple of acoustics:

An Epiphone LP Standard; nothing too fancy as it's my first electric but I just love the tone this heavy lump has!

Hi all

I just acquired a nice geetar/amp combo (actually the amp is a combo so that should read Geetar/ combo combo )

I swapped my lovely old BSA Goldstar (Air rifle and not bike!) for this Vintage AV6 and Line6 150watt combo..

I goes well with the other Vintage that I have!!

At 150 output, I think it's a bit of overkill for playing in the house but it does turn down!! It has all manner of presets and effects and sounds bleddy lovely!!!

I just have to practice more now

John

That AV6 is a good looking guitar.
    I thought those were P90's but they're actually stacked humbuckers aren't they? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    That AV6 is a good looking guitar.
    I thought those were P90's but they're actually stacked humbuckers aren't they? Cool.
    Apparently they are (stacked humbuckers), the tones that the amp can produce are amazing and the guitar is just so 'playable'!!

Apparently the original owner bought the guitar and hated it, said it was hard to play, the chap that bought it from him had a professional setup and made it a gazillion times better!!

Some of the reviews mentioned thatthe setup from the factory was atrocious!!

Cheers, John

Master
    I think I have a Hohner Countryman. Is that a good guitar to start playing on?