closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erebus Ascent (Jody JOMW brand)

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Erebus though?

Force of darkness, married to his sister, progenitor of death, misery, envy and retribution and the offspring of Chaos.

All a bit Greeks do Jeremy Kyle but even if that's your thing, I just don't like the name of the brand on the watch.

The watch itself is okay and you can tell he's spent time on it to get the details right, but they could do with some discipline. More choices of dials and bracelets also means less focus and crucially for a new entrant, weaker brand identity. There are endless anonymous Chinese offerings in that space. I wish him well nonetheless.
    Agreed on all points

Wasn't a huge fan of the name either when I first heard it, all sounded a little generic and LOTR: Dark Lord Erebus of the Northern Realms, or perhaps his horse. But give it a couple of years to embed in the general consciousness and it'll seem fine.

When you consider case thickness, shortness of lug-to-lug, even lug width, bracelet taper, quick release spring bars, on-the-fly adjustment, saphire glass and lume quality, I can't think of a standard gripe he hasn't addressed. It's clearly an enthusiast's watch and I suspect, as an enthusiast, he couldn't resist producing that variety of dials, possibly at the slight expense of profit even. Great for the consumer, though. That said, a similar approach has worked for Zelos and I suspect he very much has their business model in mind, albeit his two offerigs to date don't have the clear design identity of Zelos.

Behind the nice-guy image, I suspect he's a guy who's pretty driven having found his niche / passion in life. Neither watch quite does it for me but I hope he does well, and would bet he will.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Agreed on all points

Wasn't a huge fan of the name either when I first heard it, all sounded a little generic and LOTR: Dark Lord Erebus of the Northern Realms, or perhaps his horse. But give it a couple of years to embed in the general consciousness and it'll seem fine.
    I only recently learned of the full etymology, I first heard of Erebus as one of the Antarctic mountains near Scott’s hut, along with Terror named after the lost ships from an earlier expedition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity I bought an unused Origin from a UK Ebay seller. Its been said already that its about the details and overall these impress on this watch. The fit and finish cant be criticised, the bezel is just right, perfect alignment and solid feel. Nice big crown and dial is clear with very good lume. The bracelet feels premium and the on the fly clasp adjustment works well. On my 7 and a qtr inch wrist it sits very well and wears nicely. Whats not to like is that movement, I dont like cheap Seiko movements and would have preferred a Miyota or even China ETA clone - as expected this one arrived with the usual positional variation but had reasonable beat error and responded well to a minor adjustment, now running about +5 secs/day (was about -10 secs when it arrived) it could likely be better but thats good enough for me. Its worth the sub £300 that I paid and is much better than the usual stuff in this price range - with a better movement it would be a top contender below £500 IMO. I forgot to mention that it ships with a two watch travel case, like Eddie does (or did), its well made and finished and unlike most watch boxes can actually be used.
    Keith

Starting a new watch brand with some fairly safe designs seems like a good idea. Not everyone is Studio Underdog after all. I think this latest offering is pretty good. Perhaps Erebus will spread its wings with more unique offerings in the future?