TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paying firms with cash

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    I have a painter.

A first-class old school painter.

He is VERY VERY good.

He can natter like an old woman, his views on this government are uncomplimentary and pretty much mirror mine, I care not and just keep feeding him strong English Breakfast tea. He has earned (via performance) his access to a caddy of decent tea as opposed to the general tradesman’s caddy.

I pay him in cash.

Tax and VAT are not discussed or ever mentioned.

I talk to him about paint and the state of the nation generally, not tax.

How much he pays in taxes is ALL of his personal business and NONE of mine.

IF he chooses not to pay all his taxes and does not contribute his correct share to the government, I have no knowledge or suspicion of that and I consider that it is not my job to pass any moral judgement upon him.

I care about the quality of his painting, not his tax affairs.

The government get their full share of taxes from me, they do not pay me to spend any of my time moralising about the tax affairs of my painter or anyone else for that matter.

I sleep well at night, I suspect my painter sleeps well too judging by his calm demeanour and painting skills.

I have a painter, a first-class old school painter who is choosy as he has more work available to him than you could shake a number of sticks at and he selectively does listed building work. I do not have a listed building but he cares not and I get his standard of workmanship at a perfectly fair price.

I am lucky to have a painter of this calibre, a painter whose identity I do not share for purely selfish reasons, he will slot me in to do a job where he can, he knows that if I say that I will pay him £X tomorrow, that will happen without fail and he can rely on me as I can rely on him.

If I had to choose between having a politician to dinner or my painter, I would choose my painter, he is knowledgeable and interesting and in my experience he does not lie.

I am fortunate to have a painter, a first-class old school painter and we understand each other.

Have a good day.
    I've a good painter too but it's not rocket science.
    There's a saying in the trades I believe
    "if you can piss you can paint"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Actually it IS rocket science and a definite art, as is the fine art of plastering! There is a significant difference between Rembrant and a squaddie on jankers slapping whitewash on a rock!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Actually it IS rocket science and a definite art, as is the fine art of plastering! There is a significant difference between Rembrant and a squaddie on jankers slapping whitewash on a rock!
    Was Rembrandt a decorator? Just wondering, because the local guy who did our decorating was excellent but I doubt his ability to recreate The Night Watch or Belshazzars's Feast.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Was Rembrandt a decorator? Just wondering, because the local guy who did our decorating was excellent but I doubt his ability to recreate The Night Watch or Belshazzars's Feast.
    Belshazzar’s feast does not hit the high notes for me, there is something I don’t like about a bloke with an earring and a crown atop a turban busily nicking the gold and silver!
    Dazzlingly well painted though, (this from a guy who misspelt Rembrandt!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ha brill. I love it when I get a job painting (as a carpenter)... Nice easy work.

Craftsman
    I am not looking to light a fire here, but as the son of a builder and knowing how hard my Dad struggled over the years. It would seem that many of you live in a bubble.
    A proportion of the posts come across a bit arrogant if I am honest.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is it. Back in the day on the council estate we were always working for cash in hand. Someone said not paying tax effects the ones that need it most. A lot of the people that needed it were getting off their back sides and doing cash in hand.

Bloke I worked for the other day said his sister claims everything she can. Gets £2900 pm for doing nothing and playing the system.

Tax well spent.

if you pay tradesman cash, how are MPs going to steal it and pay it to themselves like PPEmedpro.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Bloke I worked for the other day said his sister claims everything she can. Gets £2900 pm for doing nothing and playing the system.
    Benefits cap is £1835 pcm for a couple, or single parent with children. It is a much lower £1229 for a single adult.

A bit more if you live in London.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Benefits cap is £1835 pcm for a couple, or single parent with children. It is a much lower £1229 for a single adult.

What drives you to Google so many things just to post something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    What drives you to Google so many things just to post something?

To cut through the bullshit and urban myth.

If I had a pound for every time I heard/read that so and so is claiming ££££s in benefits every month, I'd be able to retire and stop claiming ££££s in benefits.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Is that including claiming for disabilities? She has kids. Also when did that cap come in? If you were claiming before that I'm sure you kept whatever you were claiming?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Is that including claiming for disabilities? She has kids. Also when did that cap come in? If you were claiming before that I'm sure you kept whatever you were claiming?
    https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/benefit-cap-amounts

Certainly no life of luxury

Sems like you are a little uneasy about tax money supporting a family with someone who has a disability.

I hope you don't have the misfortune to place demand on it.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 26th April 2024 at 21:07.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrs T-7 can piss....& I guess she can paint......but VERY, VERY badly. I almost let her paint the inside of some fitted wardrobes once. She cuts corners, anything to make the job easier, does no preparation, doesn't know the meaning of cutting in, always does half the job, no manual dexterity, no attention to detail, a total danger with a paintbrush. As a dentist myself, I always think that she'd make the world's worst dentist.....& I'd make the world's worst Human Resources Director. We all have our strengths & weaknesses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Mrs T-7 can piss....& I guess she can paint......but VERY, VERY badly. I almost let her paint the inside of some fitted wardrobes once. She cuts corners, anything to make the job easier, does no preparation, doesn't know the meaning of cutting in, always does half the job, no manual dexterity, no attention to detail, a total danger with a paintbrush. As a dentist myself, I always think that she'd make the world's worst dentist.....& I'd make the world's worst Human Resources Director. We all have our strengths & weaknesses.
    Haha my wife is similar, avoids the edges as too tricky & even the easy bits are butchered. Love the idea of her with a dental drill in a small space and soft flesh abundant! Not sure which decade she last painted in.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Haha my wife is similar, avoids the edges as too tricky & even the easy bits are butchered. Love the idea of her with a dental drill in a small space and soft flesh abundant! Not sure which decade she last painted in.

As a teacher of final year dental students....& my fairly recent experiences at the enamel face with one of them...that really resonates with me. But don't worry lads & lasses :-/

Master
    As a teacher of final year dental students....& my fairly recent experiences at the enamel face with one of them...that really resonates with me. But don't worry lads & lasses :-/
    Practice makes perfect
    For dentistry and painting
    Neither are rocket science tbh.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Practice makes perfect
    For dentistry and painting
    Neither are rocket science tbh.
    You know what?...that's one of my favourite phrases that I give on my feedback comments.

Problem is.....the emphasis now is on covering your back, risk assessing, warning patients that they might cock it up, heading off medico-legal problems at the pass.

If you do all that you spend a lot less time carrying out the practical clinical aspects of dentistry.

You can tick all the boxes to cover your back...or do a load of dentistry & gain lots of practical experience...but you can't do both.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hey, we might cock it up but at least we warned you that we might cock it up

This is the reality...when I qualified 40 years ago I left dental school having done about 150 fillings (one of my colleagues thought about 200). We were half decent dentists when we left dental school. Now they have to have done a minimum of 12 fillings. That's eff all....& after 5 years of study!

The downside is that we never did a risk assessment. Didn't have any 'tick boxing' to complete. Didn't get the patient to decide the best option. "you're the bloody dentist FFS' Many a time I'm crossing my fingers hoping that the clueless patient makes the correct choice....I wouldn't dare to override my landscape gardener....he's the damned expert in his field....albeit in a miniature scale to my own...but even so...

We wrote 3 lines max in the notes....we wrote the important stuff...not a load of 'stating the bleeding obvious' crap.

Things have got to change....
    Last edited by trident-7; 26th April 2024 at 22:27.

I wouldn't dare to override my landscape gardener....he's the damned expert in his field....albeit in a miniature scale to my own...but even so...
    You should have seen my face at the GP a few months back when she asked if I had a specific treatment in mind.

My answer was yes, whatever’s the most effective.

Master
    Enamel face tickled me there!

I’m half convinced my hygienist has only just been given the equipment for the first time that morning. Rolling staff it feels like, and my gums feel it for sure.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Enamel face tickled me there!

I’m half convinced my hygienist has only just been given the equipment for the first time that morning. Rolling staff it feels like, and my gums feel it for sure.

Pick a dental professional.....or anybody else in any walk of like for that matter....who looks like they're more than 12 years of age...