closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A whole load more Starwars films in the pipeline...

Master
    Have been watching episodes 1 & 2 again with my six-year-old who is a big fan (a bit young for the third one I think.) It's refreshing to see them again through his perspective without the cynicism and they get better and more enjoyable as a spectacle with repeated viewings. The wooden acting and convoluted political plot are still a problem of course. I am excited to see what they will do with the saga and look forward to seeing them with my son.

Craftsman
    Little bit from Lucas about why he sold to Disney. And it transpires that the majority of the money will go into his charities.

I don't think being under the Disney umbrella should in it's self be reason to make them "more" for kids. The Pirates of the Caribbean films (well the first 2 at least) were great films for adults and children alike. The output of Pixar has not faltered at all, and I think the Marvel releases have been top notch entertainment.

Star Wars is one of those funny ones where I think people greatly overreact. gunslinger, referring to the og as it now stand, said "...it was the horrendous "added" to version with Jabba in it etc, I dislike those the more than the prequels" which is something I have heard before. I can't see how anyone can say they are "horrendous". Sure, Greedo should never have shot first, but other than that there is nothing to me that makes them any worse, and plenty that makes them better, including the scene with Jabba (though it did look rough in the first version of the Special Editions). In total there are a few minutes extra, quite how they can spoil the other 6 hours I don't know.

Sure, I do wish the originals were released unaltered (but restored) but watching the og on blu ray, on a 106" screen, with a thunderous 5.1 system is simply amazing.
    I've bought them on so many different home formats over the years , but this is the best Star Wars has ever looked, or sounded by far.

The thing is what is considered acceptable amount of tinkering? You wouldn't want to see a direct transfer of the originals on BR as some of the artefacts of the blue screen process would be all to obvious. I remember thinking how bad the tie fighters looked banking into the death star trench on (I think it was) the releases of the special editions. The picture had been cleaned up and the contrast was great, but to the point you could see the grey blocky cut-outs where the different shots had been composited. It really jarred. Now I assume people would be happy cleaning that up digitally after the fact, just as they did with Raiders of the Lost Arc and the scene where Indy comes face to face with the cobra in the well of souls, so why not other effects he wasn't happy with it.

People have been altering their work for years, Constable was painting over his own canvas's moving things around, and adding extra strips to his paintings back in the 1800s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richimlong View Post
    I don't agree with this. Disney make some fantastic films
    Just to put my earlier comments in context, I did not say that Disney do not make some fantastic films. They do! I mean that genuinely. But I still think that what I said about Disney and SW is likely to be correct.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st November 2012 at 17:09.

My Dad took me to see Star Wars and the Empire Strikes Back, at the Saturday matinee at the Gaumont Cinema in Southampton. It was a-m-a-z-i-n-g although I cried when the Jawa's were killed as I thought they were cute.

Empire Strikes Back was just mindblowing, especially the Hoth scene. Imagine my excitement when we went to Cornwall on holiday to find Return of the Jedi was being shown.

Happy memories

Jar Jar Binks can kiss my Banthan sized Arse.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    there are 3 star wars films
    Very much agree.

THe 2nd batch are poor by comparison & I'd be very pleasantly susprise if the new ones are better.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

A whole load more Starwars films in the pipeline...

I must be in the minority as a 40 year-old in that I've never seen any Star Wars films, save for about 10 mins of one of them. Lots of spaceships and little bear things running around. All seemed a bit silly to me...

^^^ You've really missed out.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    I must be in the minority as a 40 year-old in that I've never seen any Star Wars films, save for about 10 mins of one of them. Lots of spaceships and little bear things running around. All seemed a bit silly to me...
    Aren't you curious about it?

I've seen the first three, the best ones and could not get too excited about them TBH.

I'm more about plot and acting than special effects.

I suppose if I had been ten years old when I first saw them (as probably many members here were) they would possibly have had a more profound effect upon me but I was an adult so I didn't experience that sense of childhood wonder.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have both signed and Harrison Ford has said he is interested if the script is right. Sounds like they are going for a pass the torch on to the next generation then continue with the Solo/Skywalker kids. I am having dinner with David Prowse next weekend and will ask him if he has heard anything of course he can't be in it with Vader dead and his spat with Lucas.

Craftsman
    Got a link for the Hamill/Fisher/Ford news? I read that Lucas had had talks with Hamill and Fisher, but not that anything had been signed.

I somehow doubt Lucas would have let Prowse in on the secret though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
    Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have both signed and Harrison Ford has said he is interested if the script is right. Sounds like they are going for a pass the torch on to the next generation then continue with the Solo/Skywalker kids. I am having dinner with David Prowse next weekend and will ask him if he has heard anything of course he can't be in it with Vader dead and his spat with Lucas.
    What was the spat about? Lucas having James Earl Jones dubbing over Prowse's dialogue?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    WtF....did you have a childhood ?

Quote Originally Posted by MrLion View Post
    What was the spat about? Lucas having James Earl Jones dubbing over Prowse's dialogue?

They have been having problems for years. The last big one was him not playing Vader in ROTS.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    it is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

there are 3 star wars films.. and that should be the end of it.

the rest are pure, unadulterated, filth.
    +1......I'm with Celia here

Quote Originally Posted by carvass View Post
    Aren't you curious about it?
    Not really. If you didn't watch a kids' film when you were a kid, you don't tend to want to watch it when you're an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    WtF....did you have a childhood ?
    All I needed was my Raleigh Chopper and a sense of adventure...

Master

Ron, is that you on the Dumbo ride?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Wish it was. Disney uses their own Vaders.

Suddenly i'm interested in this. JJ Abrams to direct.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21214040

Ooh Abrams is a good choice. Just hope that they keep Lucas well clear

Master
    Hope it's good

Master
    Perhaps they'll remaster the first films:

Then Star Wars fans can get used to Yoda with darker skin and more rounded ears.

Also Darth Vader with a yellow mouthpiece.

Mike.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miked10270 View Post
    Then Star Wars fans can get used to Yoda with darker skin and more rounded ears.

Also Darth Vader with a yellow mouthpiece.
    If you don't mind me asking, what is that a reference to?

it is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

there are 3 star wars films.. and that should be the end of it.

the rest are pure, unadulterated, filth.
    Summed up perfectly.

I started to type a ranty reply about how bad Ep 1-3 were but can't sum it up better....