closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The swiss start react to the rise of Daniel Wellington.

The swiss start react to the rise of Daniel Wellington.

Daniel who you might say? Well Daniel Wellington didn't exist five years ago and revenue hit a quarter of a billion a couple of years ago. They make very plain watches with cheap movements from china... and people under 30 cannot get enough of them.

So it's interesting to see today - that Tissot is attempting to knock-off their watches with a new cheap 'everyday' line aimed squarely at their customers:

http://uk.tissotshop.com/special-col...ig-gent-5.html

I wonder if we will see a few of the other swiss players launch some cheaper watches at the low-end to reach to this change in fashion.

"Daniel Wellington"? Who the **** is "Daniel Wellington"?

A manufacturer of watches who's trade-mark style is plain-faced watches, just like the Tissot example.

It was a coincidental meeting halfway around the world that sparked the idea for Daniel Wellington. On this trip, our founder Filip Tysander met an intriguing British gentleman with impeccable yet unpretentious style. The man had a particular fondness for wearing his vintage watches on old, weathered NATO straps. His name? Daniel Wellington.
    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Whoever this Wellington fellow is, we must find him and we must kill him!

On a more serious note, the cheap under 300$ to 500$ Tissot watches are s**t in my opinion. And I'm talking about the design here... Mostly... You can get something a lot better from the vintage era.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Daniel who you might say? Well Daniel Wellington didn't exist five years ago and revenue hit a quarter of a billion a couple of years ago. They make very plain watches with cheap movements from china... and people under 30 cannot get enough of them.

So it's interesting to see today - that Tissot is attempting to knock-off their watches with a new cheap 'everyday' line aimed squarely at their customers:

http://uk.tissotshop.com/special-col...ig-gent-5.html

I wonder if we will see a few of the other swiss players launch some cheaper watches at the low-end to reach to this change in fashion.
    There are a million (or so it feels like) dreamers who are starting watch-brands on kickstarter etc now, trying to emulate the Wellington idea... It's quite hilarious to see Tissot being so desperate that they do it too, and fail so miserably....

All those watches look like they're made for elderly or the vision-impaired... say what you want about DW but they found a design and image that appeals to young people. Oh and the price, of course.... And the quality isnt quite as crappy as you might expect, the case is solid, like a coin with a hole in the middle to fit the 0 jewel miyota... and no seconds hand so no trouble with people obsessing about timekeeping. Another thing Tissot completely overlooked...

Craftsman
    Daniel wellington is very popular over here in Australia. They marry dress watch looks with coloured NATOs. Not my thing thats for sure.

They're awful but it feeds people in to watch ownership and from there, they can develop taste. A bit like Dan Brown and literacy; dire but could start a habit that leads to better things.

Quote Originally Posted by camb66 View Post
    Daniel wellington is very popular over here in Australia. They marry dress watch looks with coloured NATOs. Not my thing thats for sure.
    Very much the thing at the moment with the younger person.

Looks like a Meistersinger with a couple of extra hands.

Fair play to DW, they appear to have nailed their market so hats off to them. I think it's pretty cool that classic designs and styles are making a comeback, Henry London is another brand that's pushing itself that way as well. I can't vouch for the quality or vfm however they've got some lookers in their lineup.

Journeyman
    Daniel Wellington watches may not be to everyone's taste, but there can be little doubt that they have filled a substantial niche in the market and, it must be fair to assume, are making a load of money for themselves.
    Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, it is hardly surprising that there are plenty of others trying to jump on the bandwagon. Whether it is wise for a brand like Tissot to try and scoop a share of this market is another question. Will heading in that direction damage their image, or is it a worthwhile risk? Only time will tell, but Isomehow doubt that many other Swiss brands will take a chance until they see how Tissot get on.

Craftsman
    Interesting that it's the Tissot brand moving into this area rather than one of the cheaper Swatch Group brands, I.e. Swatch, which was meant to be the brand for cheaper watches for younger people.

Ah, Daniel Wellington watches, I hadn't noticed much until very recently, but I was in Majorca and the younger guys are wearing them and others that style every where, noticed them far more here now I am looking also, classical style with a splash of colour, seems to work for a lot of youngsters.

Banned
    These watches are perfect for NATO lovers. Wearing a DW is lile wearing a sign that says: "I am a fool, please rip me off."

You should easily be able to get a similar watch for 10 pounds, or 3 for 20...

Hairdresser watches imho, taken over from the bill max (which I always liked) as seen in some hoxton boutiques back in the day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just open the Tissot link. Quite like that. Can't judge it quality wise but nice and simple yet balanced to my waking eye.

Font screams Meistersinger as mentioned and not sure about black hands but far from ugly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 1st October 2016 at 07:15.

Blog Entries
    I remember the days here when NATO was only reserved to mil watches and this crossover has steadily crept into mainstream - I blame Daniel Craig the barstool with his NATO infatuation . Now it's rainbow bloody NATOs from George ,zippy and bungle in Hiya Nappa.

Another death of the NATO for me 🤒

Master
    What I find interesting is the fresh emphasis on versions of the 'dress watch'. About time too, sports watches need a rival.
    I begun switching to 'dressier' designs , just because they look better. Simplicity slways has a market.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    These watches are perfect for NATO lovers.
    What specifically makes the DW range perfect for NATO lovers?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I must be missing something. Tissot were making 'dress' watches with thin, squared lugs and minimal bezel like that 50 years before Daniel Wellington came along - how are the Swiss reacting to what is a knock-off of old designs?

I used to wear a Smiths Astral on a NATO - perhaps I should ask Daniel Wellington to credit me with their inspiration?

Master
    People can enjoy what they like whether you agree with it or not :)

And hey, it was a pair of DW watches (obtained for about £30 each because clearly they have no resale value) which then pushed me into getting more interested in watches and moving onto more serious offerings.

Craftsman
    Fair point. Everybody starts their watch journeys in different places.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The founder, 31 year old Filip Tysander, bought the most expensive apartment ever in Stockholm. Not much compared with the big cities, but still around 9.5 million GBP. Anyway, he gets a great view and 24hr concierge services in the package.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    The founder, 31 year old Filip Tysander, bought the most expensive apartment ever in Stockholm. Not much compared with the big cities, but still around 9.5 million GBP. Anyway, he gets a great view and 24hr concierge services in the package.
    Clever man, selling 2 pound watches for 200. Not sure what the people who purchased the things were thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Clever man, selling 2 pound watches for 200. Not sure what the people who purchased the things were thinking.
    I'm just guessing here, but I imagine they were thinking something along the lines of "nice watch/I like that/it's affordable/I'll have one". Perhaps even "It baffles me why people pay thousands of pounds for a watch".

R

Quote Originally Posted by HectorHughMunro View Post
    They're awful but it feeds people in to watch ownership and from there, they can develop taste. A bit like Dan Brown and literacy; dire but could start a habit that leads to better things.
    Your point is very good, its easy to criticise peoples choices but a lot of us found our way to watch loving thrpugh brands we wouldnt consider again (like TAG for me).

Great tag name Saki.

I hate 'fad' watches, of which these Wellington dress style + nato most definitely are, but hey, if more people are buying and wearing watches then that isn't a bad thing.
    A small part of me dies every time I hear the modern mantra "what do I need a watch for when I can check my phone?"

Better than all those bloody Michael Kors I see everyone wearing.

The resurgence of film photography was mainly fueled by hipsters and their lomography. Same applies here.

I say, hats off DW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    The resurgence of film photography was mainly fueled by hipsters and their lomography.
    I did smile at this as I spend a lot of time trying to avoid underwater images appearing as lomographic: they all too frequently look that way when taken in green water.

R

Master
    I heard Daniel Wellington didn't protect the name in China, and now there are a lot of fakes floating around certain auction sites for less money. Of course, as they're all produced for low cost anyhow, there isn't much difference in quality either. That's what I heard so it could be rubbish of course.

Saying that though, Tissot really couldn't have done a worse job with these watches. They're awful!!!

My mother in law got me a DW replica for my birthday.
    Despite having no lume and being 40mm it's not bad.
    I bought it because I liked the strap, she told me.
    I love her.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I heard Daniel Wellington didn't protect the name in China, and now there are a lot of fakes floating around certain auction sites for less money. Of course, as they're all produced for low cost anyhow, there isn't much difference in quality either. That's what I heard so it could be rubbish of course.

Saying that though, Tissot really couldn't have done a worse job with these watches. They're awful!!!
    I noticed in Greece that the DW fakes retail for more than the rolex and omega fakes because they are more popular with the kids.

See also three other interesting examples:

- the rather nicely designed Uniform Wares, which has a new, Swiss Made line (still quartz)

- the more retro Farer watches, who started with quartz, but have just announced an automatic range

- and these people - DW for nought. The Free Watch Company...

(Larssen and Jennings also moved upmarket into an automatic / Swiss Made range, and Corniche are an example of a dress watch that's in the affordable space).

Thomas Reid
    Sung to the tune of "I feel pretty" from West Side Story.

I feel snooty.
    Oh, so snooty.
    I feel snooty and witty and bright!
    And I pity
    Any watchbuyer who isn't me tonight.
    Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    Best wishes,
    Bob
    I'd tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post

Best wishes,
    Bob
    My thoughts too!

I have to confess to being quite taken by the Canterbury Rose, its mainly the strap