Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
That's rather one-sided, why are you choosing what you should get.
Choosing what I should get? I am not sure what you mean but my point was simply if I walk into a shop and purchase say a watch, chap goes in the back and returns with said watch and I hand over my cash that's what I expect to get. What I don't expect is a salesperson telling me what he is going to do to my watch before I can have it and making it clear I will not be getting it unless he does so. If a salesperson offers to resize the bracelet (often they do) or remove the stickers (again, had that before) I as a customer can say yes or no. Maybe I want to take it home, most bracelets I remove anyway and switch to a leather strap. My Omega Speedmaster bracelet is still with its stickers on because I have never used it, I changed it to a leather strap because most bracelets I find uncomfortable but hey, that's my choice to make not the salesperson.

There are a few issues here, firstly Rolex, Patek etc DO have to sell watches or they will simply go out of business, that people will happily be treated like children for a watch the price of a used car (Rolex) or a new Ford or Vauxhall (Patek) is testament to how said companies have convinced some people that they are being done a favor to hand over several thousand pounds of their own money for a watch. Imagine going into a Vauxhall dealership and someone telling you what to do with your car before you drive off with it.

The second point is I find much of this hard to believe, I am sure there are a few crack pot dealers out there but I find it hard to believe companies like Patek and Rolex mug off their customers like this with the thousands of watches they sell all over the world if they did the internet would be awash with similar complaints. More likely there are one or two dealers, one or two "serial flippers" (dealers) and the odd person who is happy to be led a sorry dance. I would be amazed if Patek boutiques or Rolex dealers around the world treat their customers like that.