closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Size wise you can't go wrong with an R9 of some description. As Kerry said it's only going to go as fast as you ride it and you strike me as being reasonably level headed, better to end up with something that's going to fulfil all your riding needs for a few years as opposed to something that gets to feel too small too quickly.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/mo...ninetpure.html

In your position the pure would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    better to end up with something that's going to fulfil all your riding needs for a few years as opposed to something that gets to feel too small too quickly.
    While I can see the logic in that, it wouldn't necessarily bother me to buy a smaller bike and run it for a while. One, you can build confidence on something manageable without having to deal with the weight and power a larger bike. Two, small bikes are massive fun in their own right because it's often more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow and bigger/faster does not automatically equal more fun anyway; and three, by the time you've got used to and bored with a smaller bike you have a much better idea of what you want out of the next one, plus if you buy second hand you can sell it after a year or so without losing a great deal of money. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    While I can see the logic in that, it wouldn't necessarily bother me to buy a smaller bike and run it for a while. One, you can build confidence on something manageable without having to deal with the weight and power a larger bike. Two, small bikes are massive fun in their own right because it's often more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow and bigger/faster does not automatically equal more fun anyway; and three, by the time you've got used to and bored with a smaller bike you have a much better idea of what you want out of the next one, plus if you buy second hand you can sell it after a year or so without losing a great deal of money. YMMV.
    That's exactly how I'm thinking, to be honest. Also, I can't imagine for a moment that I'd ever want more that 700cc of engine. Bear in mind that I was assuming, when I made the decision to get into biking (although I did ride as a teen, to be fair), that I'd end up with something like a CB300R!

I wouldn't get hung up on cc

The MT07 is awesome, and a lot of fun. More fun (but a lot slower) than the MT09 imho.

I wouldn't discount the Ducati Scrambler. They were really cheap for a Ducati new, and some are a good buy now. The Husky Vitpilen was very uncomfortable for me.

Personally I'd like something quicker, but then I ride on unrestricted roads around the iom tt course quite a lot. In most other situations anything around 300cc plus is going to be as quick as a fairly expensive/sporty car fur acceleration.

For me the obvious choices are the MT or the Ducati Scrambler. The MT07 was just a crazy bargain new, around the same price as the CB500 new. Plus, it's very light compared to most other bikes in the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I wouldn't get hung up on cc

The MT07 is awesome, and a lot of fun. More fun (but a lot slower) than the MT09 imho.

I wouldn't discount the Ducati Scrambler. They were really cheap for a Ducati new, and some are a good buy now. The Husky Vitpilen was very uncomfortable for me.

Personally I'd like something quicker, but then I ride on unrestricted roads around the iom tt course quite a lot. In most other situations anything around 300cc plus is going to be as quick as a fairly expensive/sporty car fur acceleration.

For me the obvious choices are the MT or the Ducati Scrambler. The MT07 was just a crazy bargain new, around the same price as the CB500 new. Plus, it's very light compared to most other bikes in the class.
    That's weird, Scott - I was just looking at the Classic, which does appeal to me a lot.

it already been mentioned multiple times (for a reason :) ) , the street triple is the best in its class at that cc (both riding and finish ) the MT range of bikes have great engines but a cheap finish and usually a shite suspension set up - they also have the resale value of a half eaten packet of crisps , the triumphs hold there resale value very well.
    ...... i have its big brother the speed triple :)

I really appreciate all the input and advice, guys - thank you.

My list of potential test rides is looking like this, I think:

MT-07
    Vitpilen 701
    Scrambler Classic
    Street Triple R LRH

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I really appreciate all the input and advice, guys - thank you.

My list of potential test rides is looking like this, I think:

MT-07
    Vitpilen 701
    Scrambler Classic
    Street Triple R LRH

Not wishing to diss any bike that takes your interest but I passed my test in 2004 and bought a Yamaha XJ600 to go and learn how to ride post test, three years later I thought time to upgrade to a Street Triple, big mistake on my part, two hour rides became unbearable..... then I tried an Aprilia Shiver... wow like night and day, but you must try and get test rides for all options, uncool probably but at least you will know which one suits YOU best. ps There are old bikers and bold bikers but not many old bold bikers... (I modified that anecdote from our flying club manual)

Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    it already been mentioned multiple times (for a reason :) ) , the street triple is the best in its class at that cc (both riding and finish ) the MT range of bikes have great engines but a cheap finish and usually a shite suspension set up - they also have the resale value of a half eaten packet of crisps , the triumphs hold there resale value very well.
    ...... i have its big brother the speed triple :)
    The Triumph is at a different price/performance point. The MT suspension is lacking compared to a sports bike, but perfectly adequate for day to day use. If I was hammering one I'd have the suspension seen to, but I'd more than likely pick a different bike.

The Triumphs had cheap fixtures and fittings imo, and I'm not sure that's changed- at £2-£6k more new I'd expect them to be a lot better. As per a used crisp packet - what's the current resale on an MT07 that sold on launch for just £4,999 new then? I think they've held their value very well, and better than most Triumphs. Nothing against the Triumph, and the newer 765cc was a great engine, but...

Blog Entries
    If any of you have a ride out around the Sw, Bristol, Wiltshire etc, give me a shout and I’ll pop over on my trusty steed.
    Last edited by Frankie169; 8th August 2018 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    The Triumph is at a different price/performance point. The MT suspension is lacking compared to a sports bike, but perfectly adequate for day to day use. If I was hammering one I'd have the suspension seen to, but I'd more than likely pick a different bike.

The Triumphs had cheap fixtures and fittings imo, and I'm not sure that's changed- at £2-£6k more new I'd expect them to be a lot better. As per a used crisp packet - what's the current resale on an MT07 that sold on launch for just £4,999 new then? I think they've held their value very well, and better than most Triumphs. Nothing against the Triumph, and the newer 765cc was a great engine, but...
    the mt is a decent bike, however the triumph does everything better from the off (better suspension, better brakes and handling) - i guess it depends if you want a bike thats good from the off or one you want to modify yourself - as you say the mt is good enough for everyday use .
    ive ridden the MT07 and 09 - the finish was worse than the triumph by a long way (as you say thou the prices is different as well and it should be) - the 07 didnt look bad but was a pretty boring ride , the 09 had a great engine but it showed where they had spent the money as the finish was not up to much and the suspension was terrible - its no good having a great engine if you cant put it down on the road.
    ... i guess its like watches - buy what you like the look of then keep it or trade it in when you have had enough of it :)

Anybody need anything from Infinity?

I have a £66.00 voucher / credit note that I'm unlikely to use before it expires 4th March.

Would let it go for £50.00
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Anybody need anything from Infinity?

I have a £66.00 voucher / credit note that I'm unlikely to use before it expires 4th March.

Would let it go for £50.00
    If still available I’ll take it Andy... I can put it towards a new open face helmet to complete the Bobber look😱😱

A couple of highlights vids from the 2 days at Snetterton this week if you're interested.

These include footage of several of my mates on 1000's going past me at least once and lots of examples of other 1000's pulling away from me on the little old 750 as well as the very annoying guy on the H2R who couldn't ride round corners, but was fast once upright & in a straight line.
    The 29.06 vid includes me out braking myself into turn 1 & the 30.06 vid includes my grass tracking after BSB rider Ryan Vickers overtook me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLat4ZZyx8c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHjOaQiZpc

Slicks in the rain are always a bit interesting but there just wasn't enough rain to justify the faff of putting on the wets.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Well Andy there is certainly more passing than being passed on the video. Looks like you had a great day. Some nice lines on the corners too, apart the track limits excursion on the 29th video. :) Its interesting the lad wearing the B&W leather who passed you towards the end of the video looks very agile moving around the bike. Many of the other riders seemed locked in one position when cornering and were slower.

Steve

Racefit Growler X & belly pan fitted.

Looks much better IMO & sounds pretty damn good too.

That's all the mods done for the foreseeable.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Racefit Growler X & belly pan fitted.

Looks incredible.

Had a brief test ride on this on Sunday morning at the Moto Legends breakfast meet.

Quite impressive with the 85KW engine. Circa 200 mile range & in "Canyon" mode with max engine braking it actually had 1 mile more range left after my short ride. As expected the instant acceleration was very good, if a bit surreal with no accompanying noise. For those doing mainly town riding an eBike has to be a good option. Always in "the right gear" and easy to ride slowly & smoothly.

The Zero's are still too expensive though IMHO. The bike I rode was just under £22k RRP.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Had a brief test ride on this on Sunday morning at the Moto Legends breakfast meet.

Quite impressive with the 85KW engine. Circa 200 mile range & in "Canyon" mode with max engine braking it actually had 1 mile more range left after my short ride. As expected the instant acceleration was very good, if a bit surreal with no accompanying noise. For those doing mainly town riding an eBike has to be a good option. Always in "the right gear" and easy to ride slowly & smoothly.

The Zero's are still too expensive though IMHO. The bike I rode was just under £22k RRP.
    My son usually organises these events for ML, he missed this one due to being out touring in the Pyrenees.

More bike related stuff

I’ve not tried the Zero but did test a Harley Livewire last year. If it wasn’t for the £30k price tag, I’d have one in my garage; it had enough range for my usual Sunday morning blast and the 1066 cafe where we stop for a brew and a sandwich now has two rapid charging points.

When they’re not so pricy, I can definitely see myself owning one.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 4th July 2022 at 17:03.

As someone who does a lot of riding in town, that would scare the pants off me (in respect of both cars and pedestrians not knowing you were coming, but the latter in particular).