closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A CWC Diver question

A CWC Diver question

I’m coming round to the idea of getting one of these. I prefer quartz, and like the simpler RN no date version.

There seems to be 4 options

Matte, matte top, polished sides, polished (original spec) and the costly 83 reissue

I would be grateful for some views on what to go for. Tbh I’m not a fan of aged lume.

Cheers

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you like a lot of shiny, a bit of shiny or no shiny?

matte is my preference but the brushed top is nice too.

Can’t go wrong with any really

Is the matte brushed or blasted?

D

Blasted. Brushed rehaut though

Brushed on top and polished sides. Bezel is polished too. Brushed rehaut

All polished I can’t show as I’ve never had one.

Or pvd which I’m waiting on. Again.

Last edited by acg; 16th October 2022 at 22:27.

Excellent pictures, thank you!

D

My son bought two and kept one.
    He bought the ‘83 reissue and the pvd issue SBS day/date. As mentioned, the ‘83 carries a price premium and all depends if you like the reissue concept. The pseudo aged lume was not to his liking along with the fully polished case and so that went back and the SBS watch stayed and is worn regularly.

I've had the brushed top and all matte. They both went and I now have the '83, the '87 SBS and a polished RN.

Personally, out of the RN models, I prefer the polished case. It looks better when it's beaten up. The matte just looks scratched and damaged rather than well-used.

But this is only my opinion so counts for nothing towards your choice.

Craftsman
    I have the brushed top & polished sides version, neither of the finishes are overpowering which makes the watch look great imo, I guess it's down to personal preference in the end.....you won't be disappointed with any of the models.

Master
    Over the past few weeks Ive had the modern all matte version, the 1983 reissue and a proper 97 issued version.

The Matte version is cool, it has Green Lume with L on the dial. The 83 reissue is very well executed but if Im honest, I think the all polished case is just a bit too much for my tastes.

All three watches are really cool but ultimately the only one I've kept is the 97 issued version. The Tritium dial and hands do it for me and the rest of the watch is nicely beaten up. As far as I know it would have started life with polished sides and brushed tops.

Quartz is perfect for this watch if you ask me.

Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 17th October 2022 at 10:00.

Without wanting to confuse things further for you, there are also crystal options (mineral or sapphire) and bezel options (60 or 120 click).

I have a polished sides brushed top 120 click sapphire version of the RN no date, and one of the older 83 reissue versions with sapphire and 60 click bezel. I really like both of them and wear them on rotation. I'm still not entirely sold on the lume of the 83 as it feels as if it's trying a bit hard. Maybe if it was midway between where it is now and the standard green used on new watches. Minty with a hint of age... Still a lovely watch though.

My preference is for polished top matt sides, and I'd like to get hold on an issued one at some point in the future
    Last edited by twhp101; 17th October 2022 at 10:50.

I just bought the 83 model (from Slevin above) and really like it. Mostly I went for this one as I prefer the bezel design over the aluminium version. I think the polished case feels smaller than the matte finish, somehow - and I think the lume colour is nicely done, just off-white and glossy giving it a ‘new’ appearance which is just a little gentler on the eyes, a bit like nightshift mode on my monitor.

I’ve only previously had the SBS PVD model which I returned due to a mark on the dial but that felt quite big in comparison to the 83 which just seems to work as an overall package. I highly doubt I’ll stop at just one, though!!!

Slevin, you drive a Tesla? Makes sense you’d be fond of quartz watches!
    Last edited by ped; 18th October 2022 at 15:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I just bought the 83 model (from Slevin anice) and really like it. Mostly I went for this one as I prefer the bezel design over the aluminium version. I think the polished case feels smaller than the matte finish, somehow - and I think the lume colour is nicely done, just off-white and glossy giving it a ‘new’ appearance which is just a little gentler on the eyes, a bit like nightshift mode on my monitor.

I’ve only previously had the SBS PVD model which I returned due to a mark on the dial but that felt quite big in comparison to the 83 which just seems to work as an overall package. I highly doubt I’ll stop at just one, though!!!

Slevin, you drive a Tesla? Makes sense you’d be fond of quartz watches!

Glad you are enjoying the 83. As discussed, I was close to keeping it but ultimately went for the Issued 97 in the end.

Yes, I’ve had the Tesla (Long range Model 3) a few weeks now and I am enjoying it even more than I hoped I would. It’s basically just a computer on wheels. It works perfectly as a Family car..

I’ve got a 2019 Fiesta ST as a run around which is great fun too and a nice contrast!
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 18th October 2022 at 10:29.

Master
    I think the 83 is the pick of the lot, looks wise. The bezel is especially nice. For me the only detractor was the glossy nature of the lume.

I eventually moved mine on because I wanted something a little cheaper as it was mainly used as a sport and holiday watch. I ended up missing it and now have another CWC inbound, the matte top, polished side version.

Master
    I've had the SBS (twice) but ultimately didn't like the day/date combo and it did wear a bit smaller than the more regular finishes. I have tried the '83, but felt while the bezel looked great the colour of the lume was a bit overdone for my tastes. I have since acquired a brushed top, polished sides version without date and it's on the wrist right now. The size is just great, it's a perfect holiday watch as alternative to something like a G-Shock and there's nothing I'd change on it really. I've even contemplated a 1980 auto with the c3 lume but for the money the quartz ticks a lot of boxes.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by frp422 View Post

That seems the best compromise, although I see it’s currently out of stock.

D

I've owned the matt blasted version, of the steel cases I think brushed top polished edges is the pick of the bunch. I live the '83 but still like the brushed case best.

I own an SBS currently (had it a few years now) and do very much like the black case for this watch.

I didnt realise there were so many different case finishes. I’m quite enjoying researching and learning about these watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I think the 83 is the pick of the lot, looks wise. The bezel is especially nice. For me the only detractor was the glossy nature of the lume.

I eventually moved mine on because I wanted something a little cheaper as it was mainly used as a sport and holiday watch. I ended up missing it and now have another CWC inbound, the matte top, polished side version.
    I agree that the 83 is excellent - but you know this - and I thank you for moving it on to me!

I'm now lusting after an 80 reissue auto..................

Apprentice
    I've owned 4 CWC divers and kind of preferred the matte finish. Once I saw the 80s Reissue, I had to have it. I really like the dial layout and the larger minute hand. Getting used to the polished case.
    A bit pricey though.

Love the super simple logo on that one and the fat boy reissue

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I've owned 4 CWC divers and kind of preferred the matte finish. Once I saw the 80s Reissue, I had to have it. I really like the dial layout and the larger minute hand. Getting used to the polished case.
    A bit pricey though.

Looks really good

I currently have three but have owned several others. Great size that wears very well. I never wear the SBS, I bought it, tried it on and then never wore it. It's a nice watch with sapphire and the 120 click bezel but the black doesn't agree with me I guess. I wear the other two regularly, especially the matte blasted one. Eventually I'll go down to one and the matte quartz watch with the Luminova T dial (only made in 2012) will likely be the one I keep. It's a fine grab and go option.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I currently have three but have owned several others. Great size that wears very well. I never wear the SBS, I bought it, tried it on and then never wore it. It's a nice watch with sapphire and the 120 click bezel but the black doesn't agree with me I guess. I wear the other two regularly, especially the matte blasted one. Eventually I'll go down to one and the matte quartz watch with the Luminova T dial (only made in 2012) will likely be the one I keep. It's a fine grab and go option.

2013 aswell, I had one.

Master

I see the pics now. Doh ! Thanks
    Last edited by Slevin Kelevra; 20th October 2022 at 11:39.

I never wear the SBS, I bought it, tried it on and then never wore it. It's a nice watch with sapphire and the 120 click bezel but the black doesn't agree with me I guess.
    I don't have an SBS, but I have a Zeno dialled PRS-3 (same/similar case) and when it first arrived I wasn't sure about it. First PVD watch for me, and was a little disappointed. I found though that strap choice really made a difference. I tried a few options, then wore it with a black/khaki bond for a while. Recently I tried it with a Phoenix bond and I think it really just works. Has changed my view on the black case which I really like now. Maybe you already tried this, but thought I'd share as it's a nice watch you have sitting there!
    Last edited by twhp101; 20th October 2022 at 10:10.

By coincidence, my son and I took a trip to Silvermans yesterday with a view to look at the G10 styles and the divers.
    As mentioned previously, my son already has an SBS current issue watch with the PVD finish but it was great to see the complete available range and extras not seen often were brought out from the back for us to drool over.
    My favourite case finish was the matt blasted version. I often wear a G10 so know the robust finish well. The brothers who run the watch area which is quite small are most enthusiastic and very keen to chat.

As an aside, we looked at the G22.
    G10 style with an automatic movement. It was interesting to hear that they were not satisfied with the standard Selita movement accuracy and so they have had these watches fine tuned to be
    within + - 3 seconds per day. Very good for £479.00

The idea is to keep this one

Master
    My latest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    As an aside, we looked at the G22.
    G10 style with an automatic movement. It was interesting to hear that they were not satisfied with the standard Selita movement accuracy and so they have had these watches fine tuned to be
    within + - 3 seconds per day. Very good for £479.00
    I was really tempted by one of these (CWC G22) on SC recently but I'm really hoping that they might release one with an improved WR rating.
    I've just had a look at the CWC site and I see that the current price is showing as £499! Must be the effect of the current rate of inflation ................

One of the joys (for a geek like me) is the large number of variants out there
    That said the original (brushed top, polished sides) is my preferred version.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st October 2022 at 16:38.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Blasted. Brushed rehaut though

Brushed on top and polished sides. Bezel is polished too. Brushed rehaut
    Did that sell?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Yep it did
    Thank you, not surprised!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I'll cast my vote for the brushed and polished version! One other difference between the models is the movement. I think only some have the precidrive movements, if that is a consideration.

Also, I just purchased a clip on leather strap from Vario. I'd say it's a little overpriced for the quality of the leather, but I suppose you are also paying for the clip on functionality. I like the look, especially for winter. It almost looks like rubber (I wish someone would offer a clip on rubber strap - I guess that's very niche though!).

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tic.tock.doc; 23rd October 2022 at 17:32.

Craftsman
    This chap might be able to make you one - he does rubber straps to order.

https://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    This chap might be able to make you one - he does rubber straps to order.

https://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com
    Thanks, I've seen some forum posts singing yellowdog's praises. Looks like they're all NATO straps, not sure he does any clip on style ones though. Maybe I'll reach out to him and see if he'd be interested in manufacturing one...

EDIT: Have dropped him a message. Will update here when I get a reply.

EDIT 2: Alex replied already. He had no plans to develop clip on straps as he's very busy with NATO orders.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tic.tock.doc; 23rd October 2022 at 18:58.

Beautiful watches. The mark is new for me. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've been wearing my latest for the last few days. Overall, very happy. I think the brushed top, polished side is a great combination. There are only two things I'd change. I'd prefer the minute hand to be wider like the 83. It looks better and while the lume is good, it means it is less legible at night, particularly for my ageing eye. I would also prefer sapphire over mineral. The mineral glass seems to be a finger print magnet, but on the plus side may have less distortion. Other than that I really like it and I think it is my preferred version.

Craftsman
    CWC are pretty helpful when it comes to making modifications to their watches. They offered to swap my mineral crystal for a sapphire when mine was in for a service. I actually declined as I’m happy with the mineral, scratches and all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    CWC are pretty helpful when it comes to making modifications to their watches. They offered to swap my mineral crystal for a sapphire when mine was in for a service. I actually declined as I’m happy with the mineral, scratches and all.

Good point. I've read about a few other custom builds. Maybe something to consider in the future.

So CWC emailed to say the polished sides, brushed top RN300 was back in stock, and, I’ve ordered it,

Such poor impulse control

Dave

I’ve worn this since it arrived a few weeks ago. It just works - ideal size, feels lovely and so far dead on accurate to the second.

Is there a megathread somewhere where I can waste time looking at other CWC RNs? Search is limited to four letters or more!

Cheers

I’ve worn this since it arrived a few weeks ago. It just works - ideal size, feels lovely and so far dead on accurate to the second.

Is there a megathread somewhere where I can waste time looking at other CWC RNs? Search is limited to four letters or more!

Cheers

This site covers all things CWC.

https://cwcaddict.com/rn-diver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    This site covers all things CWC.

https://cwcaddict.com/rn-diver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks, yes I have read that through, all very interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of a 'show us your' type forum thread, only because there's a similar one on WUS for the longines Legend Diver which is always a source of inspiration for straps and general LLD chat.

Thanks, yes I have read that through, all very interesting. I was thinking more along the lines of a 'show us your' type forum thread, only because there's a similar one on WUS for the longines Legend Diver which is always a source of inspiration for straps and general LLD chat.
    I have bored many a person (assuming the threads are read) In the BMW section. There are quite a few CWC threads there

I wish I'd never let this one go...

No harm in starting one, sounds a good idea to me

Cheers
    Old thread so some of the photos no longer display but it’s a classic: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...yal-Navy-diver

Incidentally, if you Google ‘cwc diver tz-uk’, you’ll find plenty of old threads on the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I wish I'd never let this one go...

Was this the one you tried to get from Mario for ages? Oven baked bezel if I remember right?

Does look lovely

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    Was this the one you tried to get from Mario for ages? Oven baked bezel if I remember right?

Does look lovely
    Correct. All that effort only to let it go thereafter (with the subsequent remorse that entailed).