closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A real review of a fake

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    You say that, I'd worn my Pelagos into a small watch boutique in Cardiff when I was in the market for a Speedmaster. The sales guy was interested and asked about it. Let him hold it to get a feel and he asked if it was a fake, and I sh*t you not, "because its pretty light for a diver". Sufficed to say I didn't buy a watch from him that day!
    That's funny, a friend of mine was in a similar situation a few months back.
    We went to Ernest Jones to sort him out a Citizen beater for work, he just wanted a second opinion and some beers were payment (how could I say no?)
    Anyway, he takes off his Sub-Date, tries on the beater, in the meantime the sales a***hole asks to look at his Sub-Date.
    Her response was so cheeky yet subtle (we'd had a few by this time), "Hmm yes a lovely watch, I'm sure a real one is very expensive"
    He bought the beater and we'd gone on to the next beer shop, when we both clicked as to what she had said.
    We've never been back since and due to the nature of our jobs beaters are almost a weekly thing, so there go all the sales too.

You say that, I'd worn my Pelagos into a small watch boutique in Cardiff when I was in the market for a Speedmaster. The sales guy was interested and asked about it. Let him hold it to get a feel and he asked if it was a fake, and I sh*t you not, "because its pretty light for a diver". Sufficed to say I didn't buy a watch from him that day!
    Would that be the shop with the window full of Rolex with "aftermarket" improvements? Or the one further down the arcade with the joke prices?

I appreciate $615 is a lot for a fake, but looking at that review... Take my money!

Yes I know that makes me a bad person, but I can't afford a proper Rolex which is the main reason why I wear a Grovana Coral Reef which looks like a Rolex Sub Marina. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and at least it's not a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I appreciate $615 is a lot for a fake, but looking at that review... Take my money!
    You can't afford a 'Sub Marina' but you're desperate to blow $615 on a sh*t fake?

Are you some kind of retard? Probably not as the Grovana is a well made watch... so I really don't understand your comment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post

Yes I know that makes me a bad person, but I can't afford a proper Rolex which is the main reason why I wear a Grovana Coral Reef which looks like a Rolex Sub Marina. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and at least it's not a fake.
    My gabber is flasted.

Taken off the Tudor Heritage Ranger because I can't look at it any more knowing that it's just a wannabe watch. Put on a JLC instead. Am I OK now?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    You can't afford a 'Sub Marina' but you're desperate to blow $615 on a sh*t fake?

Are you some kind of retard? Probably not as the Grovana is a well made watch... so I really don't understand your comment.
    Marina? ah that takes me back.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iULyLwvV-A

Master

Wasn't familiar with Grovana so googled it, not as good feedback as I would have expected to be honest; http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/gro...00m-94266.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Wasn't familiar with Grovana so googled it, not as good feedback as I would have expected to be honest; http://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/gro...00m-94266.html
    Pretty sure Grovana made my Aramar Snowflake homage thing... They make Davosa watches (AFAIK) and are quite well respected normally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Do you really think that?

I bought my Tudor because I like it (yes, it's that simple!), I also like the fact that very few people will recognise my Tudor and no one will think it's fake either...
    Nope, I don’t think that at all hence the “J/K ;-)” I made this comment in jest in reference to thoughts of other people on this, and other forums e.g. “Which new watch for £2200”. Personally I am quite the fan of Tudor :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorex View Post
    So you've replaced a Rolex rip off, with a Rolex wannabe! Because EVERYBODY knows that you only buy a Tudor if you can’t afford a Rolex J/K ;-)
    Just to clarify by the way, you are kidding right? Internet spelling does need the implementation of the sarcastrophe. Because if you meant the above statement as verite then you have a little learning to do.

Late to the party and your edit. Sorry.

Absolute rubbish - seriously, read what you just wrote back to yourself!

If it says Rolex (or whatever brand) on the dial and it hasn't been made by them, it's fake. The whole fake-owner's whining of 'it's not a fake, it's a replica' is just the fakers trying to make it into some kind of grey area. There is no grey area. They are fake.

'Homages' may look very much like the real item but crucially do not carry the brand name. It's an important distinction. Many don't like homages either, but fundamentally no-one is trying to pass anything off as something it's not (IMHO). 'Reps', replicas, fakes exist for one purpose only - to deceive. Who you deceive, (yourself, others) varies, but their purpose remains. They exist to deceive.
    Spot on.

Plus, I do appreciate that we need to be aware of what dangers are out here and level of sophistication of fake watches, however I'm extremely uncomfortable that by including links to and discussing fakes on the open part of the forum we are inadvertently providing a advertising platform and generating traffic, and quite possibly revenue, to the criminals.

Eddie, is any chance you can move this thread to the BP?

This is an homage of a replica, but is not fake. honest. Should suit a couple of you on this thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fas View Post
    This is an homage of a replica, but is not fake. honest. Should suit a couple of you on this thread

Jesus....

It's sad that people feel the need to wear these fakes. They should look inside and decide why they really need to wear a watch that they cannot afford. That would be money well spent.
    Of course I'm sure a good number of these are bought to be sold as real to rip people off.

Master
    I have to say that if I couldn't afford the watch that I wanted, I certainly wouldn't buy a fake or one that is styled after it.

I would find something I liked in the price range that I can afford. I have an expensive watch, but I also have a few quite different cheaper ones which I enjoy wearing regularly. It very much depends what mood I am in, a bit like clothes.

Maybe that's just me, but there are plenty of interesting affordable watches out there - don't seen then need for fakes apart from attempting to show off in a sad way.

The appropriate treatment for fake goods involves a lump hammer and brute force. I'll resist the temptation to say that the same goes for those who manufacture and peddle this shit, but anyone who can't or won't see that these people are no better than burglars, muggers or bank robbers seriously needs to go and get some moral compass recalibration.

I've just written something about this in my day job (academic) - Counterfeit watches are interesting in that they disprove a lot of what the counterfeit experts are saying about how to defeat counterfeit goods (what they call CAMs). The basic idea is that if you inform consumers how to spot counterfeit goods they are less likely to buy them. Nope - in actuality, when it comes to that knowledge, what actually seems to be happening is that the people buying them are actually driving up the quality because they are interacting with the sellers in such a way to indicate their knowledge. There is absolutely no point spending time educating such a consumer on counterfeit goods because they know exactly what they are getting...

Dead right but I don't think these fake experts you speak of are doing anything to stop fakes.

99% of these are fake.. https://www.gumtree.com/search?q=rol...istance=0.0001

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Dead right but I don't think these fake experts you speak of are doing anything to stop fakes.

Well it's funny I only really started looking at the area because of my interest in watches and soon started to think that none of the measures they described were actually effective in any way I could think of. Another suggestion they have is to educate the consumer about the ways in which they are produced - but again the fakers know, they just don't give a ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Well it's funny I only really started looking at the area because of my interest in watches and soon started to think that none of the measures they described were actually effective in any way I could think of. Another suggestion they have is to educate the consumer about the ways in which they are produced - but again the fakers know, they just don't give a ****.
    From a selfish point of view I would be fascinated to see where they come from. The chavs who buy them on holiday, and now it seems on Gumtree here in Britain, wouldn't care a jot, as you say. Gumtree should crack down on them, but then it wouldn't be free anymore and there would be no fake dross to hide the hidden gems that surface there from time to time.

Admittedly many of us over the course of time have either owned one ourselves or know someone who has one. I'm ashamed to say I once bought one in Turkey at the tender age of 21

From a selfish point of view I would be fascinated to see where they come from. The chavs who buy them on holiday, and now it seems on Gumtree here in Britain, wouldn't care a jot, as you say. Gumtree should crack down on them, but then it wouldn't be free anymore and there would be no fake dross to hide the hidden gems that surface there from time to time.

Admittedly many of us over the course of time have either owned one ourselves or know someone who has one. I'm ashamed to say I once bought one in Turkey at the tender age of 21
    I didn't look at people buying them on holiday so I couldn't say - I stuck to people buying ones in excess of £200 via forums and what they call "TDs" (trusted dealers). Bottom line they know what they are getting, how its made and so on. They even bang on about 'community spirit'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I didn't look at people buying them on holiday so I couldn't say - I stuck to people buying ones in excess of £200 via forums and what they call "TDs" (trusted dealers). Bottom line they know what they are getting, how its made and so on. They even bang on about 'community spirit'.
    Interesting topic to cover. I've only recently become aware of this community.

To pull the whole thing off convincingly I imagine you need one of these wepons in the driveway..

Master

To pull the whole thing off convincingly I imagine you need one of these wepons in the driveway..

At first glance, that looks like a Ferrari kids pedal car .. !! :)

Is it based on an MR2 or similar ?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Mcr View Post
    At first glance, that looks like a Ferrari kids pedal car .. !! :)

Is it based on an MR2 or similar ?
    Yes that's right. The latest and some say greatest incarnation of the ever popular Toyota MR2 with extra fibreglass, stickers, 1800cc's and 140 BHP. A Chinese ETA on your wrist and an ETA of 3 weeks time in your plastic Fezza.

Master
    Like the fabled MX5, you get a heck of a lot for your money. I have no issues with cheaper goods, just hate completely copied fakes.

Apropos watches, instead of a copy of a swiss watch, i would get a Seiko 5 and admire it for the legend that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I couldn't read all of that.

Makes me feel ill!

Mark
    Ditto, found that a disturbing read and it left me a little annoyed in truth, to me these are made with sole purpose of deceiving and likely to end up in the hands of unsuspecting buyers thinking its real

The more interesting viewpoint is that if you never took the back off, you'd never know. What is it that actually validates the premium to the purchaser?

Clearly it's circular, as without the one which left the Rolex factory, the fake wouldn't exist, but it raises questions about where the value is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    The more interesting viewpoint is that if you never took the back off, you'd never know. What is it that actually validates the premium to the purchaser?

Clearly it's circular, as without the one which left the Rolex factory, the fake wouldn't exist, but it raises questions about where the value is.
    Isn't that based on a supposition that purchasers are shallow and that value only comes from visual attributes ?

If so, everything in life would be shoddy tat inside an elaborate looking wrapper.

People buy genuine Rolex ( and other high end watches ) for the engineering and the smaller, less tangible, values that result in a design that has been slowly improved over several decades.

I have a Rolex as well as many other cheaper watches - I wear the Rolex because its a precision piece made of the best materials and that's enough for me; I really, honestly, don't know or care if other people spot that its a Rolex. As far as taking the back off, that doesn't bother me because I know its genuine because I sourced it from a Rolex AD.

Jesus....
    Wept?
    Last edited by bagman; 31st October 2015 at 18:52.

I put fakes and homages in the same basket.

Fakes are fakes. Homages are fakes where the smug creativity-challenged designer convinces himself he has found an ethical "loophole".

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Fakes are fakes. Homages are fakes where the smug creativity-challenged designer convinces himself he has found an ethical "loophole".
    I agree.

Fakes, replicas, homages, all just fakes under a different name, but same objective - for the purchaser to get a watch that looks like his dream watch without the cost. That fact that it has another brand name in the dial doesn't separate it from the other fakes, in my opinion.

What, all homages?

How do you feel specifically about the ones made by the owner of this forum and sold via the link above you right now?

Chinese "innovation"

Good job we're not commercially exposing ourselves as a nation.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Chinese "innovation"

Good job we're not commercially exposing ourselves as a nation.
    Nice bit of Simpson's style humor

Like the fabled MX5, you get a heck of a lot for your money. I have no issues with cheaper goods, just hate completely copied fakes.

Apropos watches, instead of a copy of a swiss watch, i would get a Seiko 5 and admire it for the legend that it is.
    I'm the same, I can get driving pleasure from anything, especially small lightweight stuff. Love the MX5 and the Seiko 5 for what they are.

A fake Seiko 5, now there's a thing.

People buy genuine Rolex ( and other high end watches ) for the engineering and the smaller, less tangible, values that result in a design that has been slowly improved over several decades.
    Playing devil's advocate, but it wasn't so long ago that the internals of a Rolex had much in common with an Eastern Bloc sausage mincer.

Master
    A Rolex fake is the easiest to spot...I can literally tell you whether its a fake or not with absolute certainty, with my eyes closed!

Just hold the watch to your ear, shake it around, if you can hear a bearing whirring then its not an original 3035, 3135 etc... Rolex movement. Smooth silence? Then its a good one...

Rolex movements are among the only movements still produced today not having a rotor ball bearing.

It was in jest, not serious. I'm happy enough with my Grovana as a sensible homage to a Rolex I cannot yet afford.

Journeyman

Haha. That's not fooling anyone!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    A Rolex fake is the easiest to spot...I can literally tell you whether its a fake or not with absolute certainty, with my eyes closed!

Just hold the watch to your ear, shake it around, if you can hear a bearing whirring then its not an original 3035, 3135 etc... Rolex movement. Smooth silence? Then its a good one...

Rolex movements are among the only movements still produced today not having a rotor ball bearing.
    You cant hear any bearing noise, but you can definitely hear the rotor ( or something ) swinging about if you do this - its like an air movement swooshing noise - but its not a bearing noise.

Craftsman
    You cant hear any bearing noise, but you can definitely hear the rotor ( or something ) swinging about if you do this - its like an air movement swooshing noise - but its not a bearing noise.
    My Submariner has this whoosh noise you mention but I can hear absolutely nothing from my Datejust. Curious

Craftsman
    Yeah its scary how real they look. If you look at his thread you will see how far some others have come http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-us-your-Rilex how will Rolex owners ever know the difference?

Master
    As much as it will pi** off a lot of people here, and I may or may not agree, the postsr has a valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    What, all homages?

How do you feel specifically about the ones made by the owner of this forum and sold via the link above you right now?

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    As much as it will pi** off a lot of people here, and I may or may not agree, the postsr has a valid point.
    My only point was that the fella who said "Homages are fakes where the smug creativity-challenged designer convinces himself he has found an ethical loophole" should probably consider winding his neck in.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    I agree.
    Fakes, replicas, homages, all just fakes under a different name, but same objective - for the purchaser to get a watch that looks like his dream watch without the cost. That fact that it has another brand name in the dial doesn't separate it from the other fakes, in my opinion.
    Several of Eddies watches are homages, are they fake as well?
    He designed them as well, so I guess we know how you feel about your host.
    Last edited by Dr.Brian; 4th November 2015 at 06:22.

Journeyman
    Large Divers watches are trendy at the moment especially gold on ladies. Think some celebs were spotted wearing them so this has probably fuelled the fake Rolex market.

Doesn't surprise me one bit!

When I was in the market for a Speedy I went into a typical high street jewelers and tried it on - I am used to my Sub and although it wears large for a 40mm I thought the Speedy seemed smaller than 42mm initially, as we know 2mm usually makes a pretty big difference in watches. I said 'It wears almost the same size as my 40mm' and the salesman says 'Well yeah, you would need a microscope to see the difference between 42mm and 40mm.
    Last edited by Evad3; 4th November 2015 at 11:01.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    oooooooh!

I'll agree with that