closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Porlex Coffee Grinder?

Porlex Coffee Grinder?

Hi all

Anyone got a porlex tall or mini manual coffee grinder?

Have recently moved from illy/lavazza to freshly roasted (tried redber so far, hasbean, rave, compass next), but am having to order pre-ground. Obvious next move is to grind my own, but don't want to splash a load of cash on an electric one like the iberital mc2 yet, plus kitchen space is limited anyway, hence looking for a manual grinder.

Have decided on the porlex, but undecided between the tall and the mini. Mini has the bonus of being smaller, fits inside my aeropress, which would be a bonus for occasional travel and if it eventually gets relegated to the caravan, plus has a rubber grip. Downside is that i'm not sure it will hold enough. I usually brew 2 full aeropress shots back to back, for me and the wife, so need approx 30-32g grinding. The tall can handle that much in one hit, but the mini apparently only holds 20g, but is that just the bean hopper? How much does the ground section hold, as i could top up with beans half way through?

Any thoughts from the coffee pros here?

Cheers

Brighty

Master
    Hi

Good little kit you have there. Aeropress and Porlex.

Porlex will be brill for the Aeropress and espresso, bit of elbow grease needed dependent on yield.

I have a Mazzer Major for espresso and a Preciso for everything else.

Best

Jon

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Porlex Coffee Grinder?

I have the tall Porlex Grinder and wish it has some rubber or indentations on the bottom canister as you can get hand ache when grinding for enough for a couple of cups. I now tend to place in on a rubber mat on the worktop.

Great bit of kit and makes a difference in my honest opinion.

Welcome to the dark side

B

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    I have the tall Porlex Grinder and wish it has some rubber or indentations on the bottom canister as you can get hand ache when grinding for enough for a couple of cups. I now tend to place in on a rubber mat on the worktop.

Great bit of kit and makes a difference in my honest opinion.

Welcome to the dark side

B
    Would a Porlex Rubber Sleeve (or two) help? Or else some self-amalgamating tape?

Journeyman
    Ive got one of these and it works great for my Aeropress. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rhinowares-R.../dp/B00M0NS8A4
    Holds 40g. I grind 36g of beans in around 3-4 mins. Grind consistency is fine for Aeropress but trust me, youll soon get sick of having to grind every time you want a brew. If you plan on getting an espresso machine then this or the porlex will not be suitable.
    Apparently a feldgrind is a pleasure to use and will be a massive upgrade in quality/speed/consistency and suitable for espresso. But for the price you may as well get a second hand Iberital MC2 and if you travel just grind the beans at home and take them in an small plastic airtight container. Thats what i do!

Master
    I use a Porlex and Aeropress. It makes a double measure in the Aeropress. So in effect a double expresso type measure