closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Hybrid View

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I know it's cheating but has anyone tried a grill top oven yet? They were for sale at Costco and I was considering one. Basically, rather than using its own heat source, it sits on a BBQ, (or gas hob) and heats the stone that way.
    Not sure it is cheating but not sure anybody who has eaten one of my pizza's could tell the difference - very pleased with mine. Bought it as a trial oven to see if i could be bothered making dough etc with a plan to move to a 'proper' oven - i don't think i'll upgrade now!

Craftsman
    We had friends over last night to watch the football and made pizza to go with it. No pictures unfortunately but they went down a treat.

It was breezy last night and I think the gas struggled to keep the temperature up as a result due to the door being off the oven but they still cooked through albeit they took about 30 seconds longer.

The only slight downside was someone wanting an egg on theirs and being too vigorous when sliding the pizza off the peel which resulted in the egg ending up on the pizza stone!

Craftsman
    I found it really good Pitch. Really easy to work and very little spring back once shaped. The rim was nice and airy once cooked too. Like yourself I would like to try a sourdough base at some point so. I might have a crack at making a starter this week.

Master
    Knocked up a couple last night with the last of the weekends dough.

It still amazes me how the little unni oven works so well.

Anybody have a good gluten free recipe to share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally after nearly 2yrs of ownership I set this up and used it for the first time

Need to play around with the dough as was a bit sticky. The first one stuck to the paddle but second attempt just coated in flour and was ok.

Definite trial and error but pleased enough with my first ever go! Very tasty.

Master
    Some tips I've found with my mk 2 Unni.

I find that the unni peels are no good for loading the pizza but great for turning/removing, I got a wooden one from amazon and no more sticking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Love-Pas...den+pizza+peel

If you give the pizza a shake after adding a topping or two to keep it moving, that helps prevent the stick. a mix of polenta flour and 00 works well on the peel for me.

Not sure what version unni they started to ship a fire guard?

Its a L shaped piece of SS that between the pellet basket and stone that pushes the flames over the back edge of the pizza and prevents the back edge from cremating. If you don't have one you can buy some SS L angle in short lengths from Ebay and trim to size with a hack-saw in about five mins. (need to measure up size)

Think home made version of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2mm-Bru...item1a1e031dde

Loading the hopper, I brought a Kilnner jam funnel that fits the pellet tube and makes loading much easier.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilner-Stai...rds=jam+funnel

Keep the pellet hopper closed, if you don't the air draw is wrong and it plays up. I use the chimney cap on my jam funnel for this.

I let mine warm up for 20-30 mins on the top hopper setting and then lower to mid point when almost ready to cook.

For pellets I now buy Balcas Brites at £4 for 10 kg, not the unni ones at £18 for 10kg.
    I find no difference but leave people to do there own research on this re 'food grade' pellets vs boiler pellets.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 29th May 2018 at 08:55. Reason: Pellets

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Some tips I've found with my mk 2 Unni.

I find that the unni peels are no good for loading the pizza but great for turning/removing, I got a wooden one from amazon and no more sticking.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/We-Love-Pas...den+pizza+peel

If you give the pizza a shake after adding a topping or two to keep it moving, that helps prevent the stick. a mix of polenta flour and 00 works well on the peel for me.

Not sure what version unni they started to ship a fire guard?

Its a L shaped piece of SS that between the pellet basket and stone that pushes the flames over the back edge of the pizza and prevents the back edge from cremating. If you don't have one you can buy some SS L angle in short lengths from Ebay and trim to size with a hack-saw in about five mins. (need to measure up size)

Think home made version of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2mm-Bru...item1a1e031dde

Loading the hopper, I brought a Kilnner jam funnel that fits the pellet tube and makes loading much easier.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kilner-Stai...rds=jam+funnel

Keep the pellet hopper closed, if you don't the air draw is wrong and it plays up. I use the chimney cap on my jam funnel for this.

I let mine warm up for 20-30 mins on the top hopper setting and then lower to mid point when almost ready to cook.

For pellets I now buy Balcas Brites at £4 for 10 kg, not the unni ones at £18 for 10kg.
    I find no difference but leave people to do there own research on this re 'food grade' pellets vs boiler pellets.
    Some good tips thanks
    I have the S3 hopper on mine but contemplating adding the gas
    Ill check mine for the flame guard
    too

Master
    Paul this thread, the uuni one last year and going round my mates house for proper homemade pizzas has meant i can’t resist any longer, so just ordered a uuni. If as I suspect we love it, we’ll get one built like yours next year.

Trial and error to come I’m guessing but I’ll take on all the great tips here.

Craftsman

Not the best photo but it’s the only one I took. I used the frozen dough today. It was nice enough but a lot more “bready” than using pitch’s recipe. I’d certainly keep a few boxes in the freezer for a short notice pizza but the home made dough was noticeably better.

Master

Forgot to take a photo of the first one until mostly consumed. Second one was left on a fraction too long.

Still playing with temperatures on the egg. First was 300C for 9 mins, second was 350C for about 7-8 mins & got sidetracked.

Whilst I can go much hotter, cooking blind is always a challenge so experimenting as I go rather than burn them. Might make up a batch of dough to just mess with timings & does learning up.

Egg ceramics were still warm to the touch the morning after!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone tried the BBQ top ovens?

Are they any good on a gas fired bbq,?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Anyone tried the BBQ top ovens?

Are they any good on a gas fired bbq,?
    i did have one prior to getting a Unni- was ok but I found it very hard to get it hot enough- I was using it on my Weber Q-

Master
    First use of the Uuni Pro last night (and first on gas)

Master

Last night’s effort on the egg. Slightly overcooked on top & under on the base. Still working on it.

My pizza stone is the Weber one & I have about 4” more to use if I buy a larger stone, and with a larger peel could get the base thinner for the same dough quantity.

Master
    Weather in North Devon was glorious today so came home from work early and fired up the uuni a couple of months earlier than expected. Pizzas were delicious as always.

Had some family come over and for dessert they had pizza with Nutella and bananas folded over like a calzone and sprinkled with some brown sugar. Same cooking time and tastes amazing. Have with ice cream or cream.

Journeyman

Pizza I had in Lourdes,France...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post

Pizza I had in Lourdes,France...
    Is that pineapple?????

Well finally sorted my ooni 3 today with gas fitting. Stupid say to do it as its heaving down with rain and I've had to set up on the garage floor. So been prepping in the kitchen and running out to the garage with a pizza on the peel.

Basically followed Pitches dough recipe this morning and made 3 160g balls. Took out the fridge about 2 hours before required.

First on was a compete disaster as I couldn't get it off the peel so most of the topping ended up on the stone! Onwards and upwards and on to the next which with a large amount of flour on the peel seemed to go OK.

I do apologise for the pineapple on the second one, the wife wanted it. The biggest problem I found was getting the pizza and topping onto the peel. I tried topping it while the base is on the peel but I guess you have work quick. Also getting a good shape.

Ha e to say pitches recipe is great a d I can't wait to have another crack at it

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Did you try semolina flour on the peel?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Did you try semolina flour on the peel?
    Unfortunately they didnt have any in tesco. I put some oo flour on it. Does semolia make a difference?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Unfortunately they didnt have any in tesco. I put some oo flour on it. Does semolia make a difference?

Yeh it’s helps it ‘roll off’ the peel
    I get our from a local Nepalese shop

Ideally you want something a bit coarser, like semolina.

Our Tesco has boxes of semolina in pudding/custard section but what's better is coarser semolina found in 'ethnic' grocers.

Master
    Apparently it also makes a difference if the peel is cold or not. I tend to have one issue per batch but a hot peel, so if you use it to turn the pizza for instance, helps the next one stick.
    I always thought a turning peel a bit unnecessary but I may be wrong.
    On the whole plenty of flour on the surface and on the peel and keep it moving in the transfer between surface and oven. This stops it sticking but also gets rid of some of the xs flour.

I use a wooden peel to launch and a steel turning peel during cooking to rotate.

A tip i picked up from somewhere and which I use is to just lift the edge of the dough and blow under the pizza just before launch. Helps un-stick it and it glides right off. Adding too much flour or semolina can burn when cooking so the blowing under it works well (although gets some funny looks )

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'll try to hunt the semolina flour out for next time. One thing I will do though is make bigger dough balls. I made two at 160g and they weren't big enough. I'll try 180g next time as I think that'll be the max size for the oven. How do people transfer the pizza onto the peel? With or without topping on? I found the base too thin to pick up with the topping on so it just stretched out throwing all the cheese etc into the middle. I'm scared of the base sticking to the peel while putting the topping on but I guess the semolina flour will be better at preventing sticking than the oo flour

Master
    I'll try to hunt the semolina flour out for next time. One thing I will do though is make bigger dough balls. I made two at 160g and they weren't big enough. I'll try 180g next time as I think that'll be the max size for the oven. How do people transfer the pizza onto the peel? With or without topping on? I found the base too thin to pick up with the topping on so it just stretched out throwing all the cheese etc into the middle. I'm scared of the base sticking to the peel while putting the topping on but I guess the semolina flour will be better at preventing sticking than the oo flour
    I use 220-230g balls but hand stretch to get a good crust.
    Get a wooden peel for launching the pizza and use the metal to turn.
    Build on the wooden peel and give a shake after adding sauce and cheese and again as adding toppings to keep it mobile do it again just before launching, makes sure you don’t just launch the topping into the oven.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    my local Homebase had a couple of bargain Pro's- £350
    Wish that'd come up on the google search I did when I got my 3, I'd have definitely got one at that price.

I use 220-230g balls but hand stretch to get a good crust.
    Get a wooden peel for launching the pizza and use the metal to turn.
    Build on the wooden peel and give a shake after adding sauce and cheese and again as adding toppings to keep it mobile do it again just before launching, makes sure you don’t just launch the topping into the oven.
    Thank you for the tips, off to amazon now for wood peels.

Master
    Wish that'd come up on the google search I did when I got my 3, I'd have definitely got one at that price.

Thank you for the tips, off to amazon now for wood peels.
    I made my peels from some 6mm ply

Master
    For the Ooni owners here, do you notice a flavour from the wood pellets?

I’m tempted by the convenience of the Koda gas oven, but a couple of friends who don’t own either were indicating I’d be losing flavour, which I’m unsure of.

If not the Koda then I’d be looking at the 3, bit the smaller size of the gas Koda (no chimney etc) really appeals. I already have 2 gas bottles for the Weber weekday grill, so not an issue with always having them available.

Feels like the gas vs charcoal bbq opinions all over again.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    For the Ooni owners here, do you notice a flavour from the wood pellets?

I’m tempted by the convenience of the Koda gas oven, but a couple of friends who don’t own either were indicating I’d be losing flavour, which I’m unsure of.

If not the Koda then I’d be looking at the 3, bit the smaller size of the gas Koda (no chimney etc) really appeals. I already have 2 gas bottles for the Weber weekday grill, so not an issue with always having them available.

Feels like the gas vs charcoal bbq opinions all over again.

Cheers

When I was reading up on it all and decided on the Ooni 3 all the reviews I saw indicated there was discernible taste difference between gas or wood pellets. I went gas.

Master
    I have an ooni 2 and it’s a pain to keep a consistent temperature with pellets. I nearly bought the gas conversion but my wife persuaded me to have another go with pellets. I got a couple of great pizzas but I also got a couple that just wouldn’t cook ( temp was obviously too low)

I’m going to give it another go tonight!

Master
    Equally could throw a smoker box or some wood near the burner as you do with a gas bbq when you want some smoke.

More I read about the pellets, seems to be hit & miss. I’ve got many cooking devices that can do that. Ideally want repeatable simplicity.

Master

I cheated this time and used a fire lighter, it definitely helped. For some reason the pellets expanded and got stuck after the second pizza.

That pizza looks mouth watering , I like a bit more less crispy pepperami on mine though
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post

I cheated this time and used a fire lighter, it definitely helped. For some reason the pellets expanded and got stuck after the second pizza.
    Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Pizzas for tea tonight

Pizzas by Joe Feather, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Just eaten some pizza and i always say the same thing why? i have eaten this stuff all over the world and quite honestly i must say why didn’t i make a sandwich.
    But to those that enjoy it well just enjoy it
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Just eaten some pizza and i always say the same thing why? i have eaten this stuff all over the world and quite honestly i must say why didn’t i make a sandwich.
    But to those that enjoy it well just enjoy it
    For years I never touched pizza and when I did it was like glorified cheese on toast.

Then I went to Naples.......... converted.

Use the best available ingredients and cook it right and a GOOD pizza takes some beating.

I started this thread because of my love of the grub and it delights to see where it has gone.
    Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    [
    Parma ham only goes on the pizza after it has left the oven. Never bake it.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    I have a Uuni 2 and was struggling as some pizzas cooked quickly and were great but others not so much. I bought a thermometer from ebay that I fitted to the door and now everything cooks great as I can see when the temp has dropped.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I have a Uuni 2 and was struggling as some pizzas cooked quickly and were great but others not so much. I bought a thermometer from ebay that I fitted to the door and now everything cooks great as I can see when the temp has dropped.
    I may try this with mine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Parma ham only goes on the pizza after it has left the oven. Never bake it.
    Raffe have you christened it yet?

For those who have out grown there oonis and rocboxs could this be the next step?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Barbecues-S...over/p/181430#
    josep has one of those: -

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    josep has one of those: -
    Mine is basically the same, but a slightly larger version.

Gets up to temperature in about an hour (about the same time that you can knock up a quick batch of dough), and retains heat quite well for slower cooking, although not half as good as stone ovens or Kamado grills etc for that.

This is where I got mine a few years ago. Warning - this site may lose you a lot of money!

https://www.creativeoutdoorliving.co.uk/

After a quick trip to our local Swedish furniture store, I set up the oven on the kitchen balcony (next to the Weber).

I had not prepared a dough, so had to make do with a single piece which I still had in the freezer. After the required 30 minute heat-up phase the oven was 450 degrees according to my new infrared thermometer.

(Photo shows earlier measurement).

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you my first Ooni pizza:

Not the best pizza I ever had, but a good and promising start. It tasted delicious and had about perfect texture and consistency.

Just prepared a dough according to the Ooni recipe, it needs only one to two hours of proving so I know already what's up for supper.

Thanks again to Lewie for his assistance, when will you come over for pizza and beers?

Master

Just prepared a dough according to the Ooni recipe, it needs only one to two hours of proving so I know already what's up for supper.

Thanks again to Lewie for his assistance, when will you come over for pizza and beers?
    Raffe, you’ll have better results with the pizzapp app, allows you to modify the recipe for cold proving times and hydration levels.

Try 60% hydration, 24-48 cold prove, 4h room temp prove(1 hour warm up, knock back and 3h as balls) 2.5-3% salt 2.5% fat olive oil.

~230g ball makes a good 10” base.

Raffe, you’ll have better results with the pizzapp app, allows you to modify the recipe for cold proving times and hydration levels.

Try 60% hydration, 24-48 cold prove, 4h room temp prove(1 hour warm up, knock back and 3h as balls) 2.5-3% salt 2.5% fat olive oil.

~230g ball makes a good 10” base.
    I had a quick look at the pizzapp. Are the proving times for cold proving or warm (room temp) proving on it?

Master
    Both.

In settings you can turn “CT” proving on or off. RT=room temp, CT=cold temp.

Both.

In settings you can turn “CT” proving on or off. RT=room temp, CT=cold temp.
    Ah, thank you

I have done dough according to pizza app already, I chose the Ooni recipe today as it's quicker.

Master
    I have done dough according to pizza app already, I chose the Ooni recipe today as it's quicker.
    No worries

I find the PizzApp more reliable as it allows you to tune the ratios for the amaout of time you have for proving.

That said your results still look good.