closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sales Corner

Craftsman

Sales Corner

I might be out of touch on this issue but can someone (only one correct answer needed) confirm the number of posts required before you can list on SC?

I have been rapidly posting over the last two years to hit the magic 250, as I thought you had to have 251?

You've blown it now Hatco.
    If you hadn't have coughed, you would have got clean away with being a speedposter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    I might be out of touch on this issue but can someone (only one correct answer needed) confirm the number of posts required before you can list on SC?

I have been rapidly posting over the last two years to hit the magic 250, as I thought you had to have 251?
    I'm not 100% sure myself, but perhaps there is some manual work to be done by Eddie before you can post.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun View Post
    180 days.
    The OP falls well outside that joining in JAN 2010

Craftsman
    t'is working now, thanks.

So what are you selling?
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Only a bag of u-boat straps and deployments that belong to a friend. I am a buyer not not a seller, unfortunately. I bought a 10 watch box this week and it will be nearly full, I have to either remove or update my signature!

Beginners mistake, never buy a watch box if you don't already have enough watches to fill it!
    "A man of little significance"

Sorry to hi jack the thread but also having problems with the SC.

I've got 51 posts and have been a member for over 180 days but I'm unable to see the SC, is there something I'm missing, like has it moved or anything else.....?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex247 View Post
    Sorry to hi jack the thread but also having problems with the SC.

I've got 51 posts and have been a member for over 180 days but I'm unable to see the SC, is there something I'm missing, like has it moved or anything else.....?

Thanks in advance
    Yes, see post #2 above!

I see the two posters with queries about SC had only just met the qualifying post count when they posted. The forum runs an update script every hour to update promotions, ranks and permissions so perhaps the script hadn't run when they posted?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Everything is working now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by howie77 View Post
    Yes, see post #2 above!
    Thanks for the answer but perhaps you missed something..........post #2 refers to listing on SC, I couldn't even see the SC but now I can. Thanks again Eddie!

Thanks for the answer but perhaps you missed something..........post #2 refers to listing on SC, I couldn't even see the SC but now I can. Thanks again Eddie!
    Er, quite right that was me missing that totally..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Beginners mistake, never buy a watch box if you don't already have enough watches to fill it!
    Not really a beginner! The purpose of the box is to hold all the watches I want to keep and clear out all the mush I have collected over the years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I see the two posters with queries about SC had only just met the qualifying post count when they posted. The forum runs an update script every hour to update promotions, ranks and permissions so perhaps the script hadn't run when they posted?

Eddie
    Cheers Eddie, it was more a query on my part and it will be some time before I put anything on SC. Although I am sure I did list some items and a car in the past.

Thanks

Mark

How do you find Sales Corner, does it just list on forums manually. I did see it for a few days during server switch over period which surprised me at time as was at 25 ish posts only :)

Craftsman
    Everything is working now. Thanks.
    I was reading the thread out of curiosity, but I wonder about my read access now. I rolled over fifty posts either yesterday or the day before, but Im not able to see SC and wonder now whether I should be able to?

Im also getting random access to the hotchpotch area, which is visible sometimes but not others. Ive done everyhting that I can thing of but clearing cache etc doesnt seem to have much effect.

Not only do you need 50 posts but you need to have been a member for 60 days before you can see Sales Corner. For posting it's 250 posts and 180 days.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The forum runs an update script every hour to update promotions, ranks

Eddie
    I presume you can still insta-glitch?

Craftsman
    Cheers Eddie. Im in no rush to post as Ive never sold anything, ever. Sixty days on buying meens at least two more paydays! :o)

When I cant see hotchpotch I am still able to view my posts there, and to see the whole subforum by using the tree when I do that, so its a glitch more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I presume you can still insta-glitch?
    Even more so than on the other forum.

Eddie

Smile

There's a sales forum on here??

John

Re: Sales Corner

Eddie,
    Thankyou for clearing that up.
    I was aware of post count and days to do for the posting on the forum.
    Just hadn't seen the days to do to see forum.

It changed with the forum upgrade.

I used to have access to sales corner but forgot to update in the upgrade ,so have to start all over again !!! Saved me some money though .

Oh. I thought you had to purchase 250 times from SC. No wonder my hobby has got out of control.

Journeyman
    Ahhhh so thats why I couldnt reply to a Sales Corner post, I have been an member since 2007 and bought and exchanged here before, but it seems the rules changed whilst I have been absent, and my meager 123 post wont surfice...feels like Ive been demoted and put in the naughty corner....Ive never been one to just post for the hell of it...but it seems thats the way to go just to raise my tally :(

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JFW View Post
    Oh. I thought you had to purchase 250 times from SC. No wonder my hobby has got out of control.
    Lol ! That's where I must be going wrong, too!

Not only do you need 50 posts but you need to have been a member for 60 days before you can see Sales Corner. For posting it's 250 posts and 180 days.

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Is this likely to remain the case permanently? I fully understand you had many good reasons for introducing these criteria - not least minimising headaches for you that were associated with SC.

The flip side of course does appear to be that far fewer interesting watches come up on SC now, as I guess turnover has slowed dramatically given that the newbies (a bit like the first time buyers that drive the housing market), can't get involved so much which is a little bit of a shame, at least to serial flippers like me.

Is there any room for a compromise - eg 30 posts, and/or 30 days?

This certainly isn't a critical post, just a question, and I guess it prevents me spending money when I shouldn't.

Best,
    TFB
    So clever my foot fell off.

Nobody has made a convincing case for relaxing the present arrangement.

Eddie

Eddie

How about trialling 30 posts and 30 days to view/buy, and 60 posts and 60 days to sell?

Would that not be sufficient to weed out the chancers and the speedposters etc? Sixty posts and two months would seem to me (and I could be entirely wrong here and defer to your experience) to be enough of a commitment to put off those who are only interested in selling, while being more attainable to the majority.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't want to see the return of the chancers who contribute nothing to the community but just speedpost to be able to list their nearly new Rolex, but given the vigilance of the community and the continual reinforcing of the expectations of the community by members, I think this might not present a significant problem.

To my mind the strength of TZ is the passion and commitment of the members and the very light touch moderation, coupled with a clearly understood code of conduct. It would be a shame if new blood was put off, as any community needs the excitement and energy of new members. The same old faces can just end up a bit stale and endlessly arguing... lol. Clearly SC is a major initial draw to TZ, but I think that most stay because of the discussion and debate. The few who really don't want to engage in this will be easily spotted.

Is that making any kind of case Eddie? Maybe a trial period?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    How about trialling 30 posts and 30 days to view/buy, and 60 posts and 60 days to sell?

Would that not be sufficient to weed out the chancers and the speedposters etc? Sixty posts and two months would seem to me (and I could be entirely wrong here and defer to your experience) to be enough of a commitment to put off those who are only interested in selling, while being more attainable to the majority.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't want to see the return of the chancers who contribute nothing to the community but just speedpost to be able to list their nearly new Rolex, but given the vigilance of the community and the continual reinforcing of the expectations of the community by members, I think this might not present a significant problem.

To my mind the strength of TZ is the passion and commitment of the members and the very light touch moderation, coupled with a clearly understood code of conduct. It would be a shame if new blood was put off, as any community needs the excitement and energy of new members. The same old faces can just end up a bit stale and endlessly arguing... lol. Clearly SC is a major initial draw to TZ, but I think that most stay because of the discussion and debate. The few who really don't want to engage in this will be easily spotted.

Is that making any kind of case Eddie? Maybe a trial period?

Not even close ;-).

Eddie

Not even close ;-).

Eddie
    Fair enough, I gave it a shot.

Maybe other members might have a more persuasive argument than I.

It would be nice to see some of the more interesting vintage watches coming up, as these seem to have dried up somewhat.

I fully appreciate you will have a much more informed perspective on this than I can possibly have, but would there be any mileage in an SC "lite" for newer members where no watch over say £500 could be posted, or trades only rather than sales?

Like the idea of a sc lite sounds more in my price range :p

Journeyman

Eddie
    Perhaps as a new member with nothing I want to sell, and no available funds to buy, (I recently nabbed one of the last PRS-17-Cs,) I can bring a deferent perspective to this?

From the sellers’ point of view, I can see that an attractive consequence of the current system is that they can gain an idea of who they are dealing with by viewing the buyers’ posts.

However, at the moment, new members that are keen to buy and sell are encouraged to post more than they otherwise might to reach the requirements.

A solution may be to retain the current time limits but reduce the post count. Maybe: 30 posts in 60 days and: 130 posts in 180 days. This way there is no pressure to post every day. Anyone speed posting just before the time limit can be given a wide berth.

If it’s technically possible, another thing that may help would be to allow all new members to view SC but restrict their ability to PM or view profiles for the first 60 days.

John
    Last edited by Imbrex; 14th January 2013 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbrex View Post
    Perhaps as a new member with nothing I want to sell, and no available funds to buy, (I recently nabbed one of the last PRS-17-Cs,) I can bring a deferent perspective to this?

From the sellers’ point of view, I can see that an attractive consequence of the current system is that they can gain an idea of who they are dealing with by viewing the buyers’ posts.

However, at the moment, new members that are keen to buy and sell are encouraged to post more than they otherwise might to reach the requirements.

A solution may be to retain the current time limits but reduce the post count. Maybe: 30 posts in 60 days and: 130 posts in 180 days. This way there is no pressure to post every day. Anyone speed posting just before the time limit can be given a wide berth.

If it’s technically possible, another thing that may help would be to allow all new members to view SC but restrict their ability to PM or view profiles for the first 60 days.

John
    That sounds reasonable to me - however I don't make the decisions.

Other may have some other ideas or suggestions as well.

I get the feeling Eddie is open to a decent case being put forward, even if I haven't yet managed it!

Banned
    You shouldn't join because you are keen to buy and sell, rather look on it as a bonus that you earn by being here and contributing. I think it is OK as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    You shouldn't join because you are keen to buy and sell, rather look on it as a bonus that you earn by being here and contributing. I think it is OK as it is.
    I tend to agree, but there is no doubt that for new watch enthusiasts the opportunity to begin collecting really fuels the interest.

I suggested earlier an "SC Lite" so newer members cannot get access to the full SC, but can swap and trade, or maybe even buy, lower value watches.

I always prefer swapping to selling anyhow, and for those new to the hobby I think this would really appeal.

Banned
    There are other places where one can buy or even sell watches. Unbelievable I know

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
    I agree with this, but I don’t see how it can be avoided. The allure of forbidden fruit will be too strong for some.

I have learnt a lot from reading this forum over the last few years, but I took little interest in SC when it was visible. As a Timefactors customer I was more interested in following the progress of new models and I became a member when I thought I had something to contribute to this. But I can see that for others the chance to buy and sell is an attraction.

Again, I would advocate a sub-£500 forum, with the emphasis on fun and swapping rather than selling. I think this could be a real draw.

Radu&Bogdan F
    Quote Originally Posted by Imbrex View Post
    I agree with this, but I don’t see how it can be avoided. The allure of forbidden fruit will be too strong for some.

I have learnt a lot from reading this forum over the last few years, but I took little interest in SC when it was visible. As a Timefactors customer I was more interested in following the progress of new models and I became a member when I thought I had something to contribute to this. But I can see that for others the chance to buy and sell is an attraction.
    i have to make about 20 more posts to get into the sales corner. And i can't wait. . . :)

Quote Originally Posted by Radu&Bogdan F View Post
    i have to make about 20 more posts to get into the sales corner. And i can't wait. . . :)
    Waiting for the glitch, more like ..........

Seikoman87
    i want Sales Corner now !

Craftsman
    Think its around another 3 weeks till I can access SC..looking around other watch forums (for the heads up on deals)its about 4 months too late for that Ollech mirage III I am looking for!!

Master
    Think I have now passed the magic 50 posts but can not figure out what happens now or where SC is?

Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    Think I have now passed the magic 50 posts but can not figure out what happens now or where SC is?
    You'll be able to see it when Eddie next updates the sight. Next day or do probably.

Craftsman
    One thing occurs. Just as there are quiet types in real life, on the internet some people are more reserved than others. So they (we?) probably post far less often than average. Doesn't mean we don't get a lot of enjoyment from being forum members. It just means that we can be lengthily excluded from sections which are post-number dependent. It's not a criticism, just a comment.

And being this my post number 250, I'm now authorized to post on SC...

Frankly, after buying 4 watches and a car in SC this year, I'm not that thrilled about the idea!
    Last edited by carvass; 23rd November 2013 at 15:18. Reason: typo