closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko Diver SKX007 - Musings

Seiko Diver SKX007 - Musings

Hello All,

Lately I have been swotting up on the Seiko divers and feel it prudent to give one a go :-)

I have narrowed it down to a SKX007 and am keen to canvass opinion to the best way forward on the following points if you might help:

1) Where to buy:

I have found Yorkshire Watches who offer the K model 007 variants at decent prices, and also Creation Watches in the US who offer both K and J models at seemingly very keen prices inc. postage to the UK. I have been wondering ....

Are the K and J watch heads the same with the exception of the J models having '21 jewels' on the dial?
    Are there any outlets / dealers in the UK offering good prices that I have missed?
    Does Creation have a good reputation and what realistic risk do I run for VAT and duty if I bought from them?

2) Straps and bracelets:

I understand one can procure the 007 with OEM rubber strap, 2 choices of oyster bracelet, or jubilee bracelet as below:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...watch-837.html
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-2744.html
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...007j4-836.html
    http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-2743.html

I noticed some reviews commented on the 'tinny' feel of the various OEM metal bracelets, so this lead me to read about the wjean 'super' oyster and jubilee bracelets available for Seiko divers.

Reading wjean's Ebay page it seems himself offers the following:

http://stores.ebay.com/Seiko150m-sho...=p4634.c0.m322

What are people's experiences and thoughts on the various super bracelets and do they feel and wear significantly better than the OEM items?

Assuming the super bracelets are indeed super I thought my best option would be to procure a 007 on rubber strap and purchase a wjean bracelet separately.

3) Is it normal to find this research immensely exciting?

4) Should I keep ignoring the MM300 that keeps calling me whenever I read threads and reviews?

Thank you,

Martyn :-)

Master
    Hi Martyn
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I can comment on creation watches. I have brought a Seiko diver from them and found the service to be excellent. Took just 3 days to arrive in the UK, with no taxes or duty to pay.
    As for the MM300, I to have had the same calling (obsession!) for the past year. I brought a Sumo, hoping this would suffice. As great as it is, it's not the MM! One day it will be mine.
    Cheers.
    Si.

I'm with you Bud!

Martyn,

Firstly yes it is natural to find this sort of stuff exciting. Right, from my experience I can tell you:

- The SKX007 is a cracking watch and the quality far exceeds its price point

- The K is made in Korea and the J in Japan

- The J is the more saught after but in reality there's no difference

- Get the one with the jubilee bracelet if you can as, despite having hollow end links, it's a lovely bracelet and they're quite difficult to come by seperately

- Buy a Will Jean Super Oyster as they're simple excellent - I had one on my 007 and I currently have one on my 1979 Seiko 6309 and it's fantastic

- I know Yorkshire watches are a little more expensive than Creation but Creation are a nightmare if you're unhappy and often I think they sell slight seconds

- Message Yorkshire Watches to tell them you're interested and ask them to check the bezel alignment against the chapter ring as this is where the quality control can sometimes be lacking

- If you found this to be the case with a Creation watch (as I did), they'll tell you it's an easy fix for a watch maker and that you will have to pay for it yourself

- Alternatively you could post a WTB ad for one on here

There, have I covered everything?

Good luck,

David

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    - The K is made in Korea and the J in Japan
    Not quite. 'K' just means 'outside Japan', and 'K' models are most likely to be made in Singapore or Malaysia.

But yes, there's no real difference. The components are the same, as are the robotic assembly lines.

Journeyman
    Agreed- buy it with the rattley Presidential and then immediately buy one of Will Jean's super oysters. The ONLY thing I don't like about the 007 is not having drilled lugs. Other than that I think you will find the casework is far beyond the price paid.

Looking back at m many watch purchases of the last 5 years I should've bought the 007' and worn the heck out of it until I bought the MM300. It isn't that the MM300 is that good (although it is an excellent watch) but rather the 007 is that good.

The 007 is a must have item and as an interesting alternative you could try one of the mods that are available which also somewhat scratches that MM300 itch does not cost a great deal more than a standard 007 and is a quite subtle upgrade. This one came from monsterwatches.nl and I changed the bezel insert out as I do not dive these days but use it often as a work/weekend watch.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by simonsev; 9th August 2012 at 03:47.

I debated myself for months before buying so yes it is normal. I went for rubber strap as I think that is how it is meant to be, it is a diver after all and secondly with bracelet it starts looking a lot like many other watches. I wanted a watch which added a new style to my collection.

That said super oyster looks great on the watch and the bracelets can be bought afterwards.

I recall some sexy 007 pix from the web

I like mine with sapphire

Craftsman

Seiko 007

Hi Martyn

I have just gone through the same situation as you, Purchased a 007 from SC & was very pleased.
    As I already had a 031 on a solid oyster I was streight on the bay to Wjeans & picked up a
    super Jubilee with SEL. This mod really finishes this watch I am very pleased with the look
    & can thoughly recommend it. One snag - now I want to complete the set looking for a Black monster.

Good luck

I purchased an SKX007 for my Dad and I have to say it worth every penny. I would suggest to go for the Oyster, as the Jubilee bracelet seems to be week a bit.
    www.chronograph.com is also a reliable source with prices including worldwide shipping. I have very good experience with them.
    Otherwise if you considering the MM300, go for it, whenever you can. For me it is simply a financial question, since the Marinemaster is playing in a complete different league (league of Omega PO for example).
    All I can say, it is truly a great watch. Don't believe to every stupid critics in reviews .

Master
    I used to own a 007 and for me it IS the best pound for pound watch you can buy. I think I bought mine for a little over £120 with a super oyster bracelet and the perfect beater.
    It's perfectly normal to go above and beyond researching and asking questions when you're about to buy a watch

I've always fancied one, I might see of herself might get me one for Christmas.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Got mine on now... ditto what everyone else has said about the WJ SO II bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    That's just made my day!

North Londoner, exiled in Leicestershire...
    Agree with pretty much all said so far - but the OP also asked about Import Duty. If HMRC get hold of your watch sent from outside the EU, you'll be paying an extra 20% on top of the purchase price to get your watch 'released' by Customs, as well as a handling fee (anything from £7 - £30+).

Worth bearing in mind...

Mike

jimmyblade
    Quote Originally Posted by simonsev View Post
    The 007 is a must have item and as an interesting alternative you could try one of the mods that are available which also somewhat scratches that MM300 itch does not cost a great deal more than a standard 007 and is a quite subtle upgrade. This one came from monsterwatches.nl and I changed the bezel insert out as I do not dive these days but use it often as a work/weekend watch.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wow, cool mod.

Good Afternoon All,

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I just ordered the following from Yorkshire Watches and will have it tomorrow:

http://www.yorkshirewatches.co.uk/pr...007K2_SKX007K2

I am very excited :-)

Now to decide what variant of the wjean super oyster to purchase !

I am (hopefully) parking the MM300 idea so I can enjoy the 007 for a while, I was talking to a chap about a trade on one against my YM 16622 (I fancy a change) but it has not worked out.

Will report back with feedback when the Seiko arrives.

Thanks again for the help, TZ is great.

Cheers,

Martyn.

Journeyman
    Like those pics (some especially!)
    I have a skx007 and can honestly say that it is a great watch. Bought mine second hand so I'm massively impressed with the value for money that it can represent.
    One thing I would say though is that I now have a mark on the back of my hand from where the crown guard bashes into my skin. Initially I thought the 4 o'clock position of the crown would be the solution to this problem, but it seems to be worse than the standard position.... maybe I just have freakishly mal-proportioned hands?

Blog Entries
    This one started life as a SKX too. I had it modded by Rob (Monsterwatches.eu):

• Oyster bracelet - the type that tapers to 18mm
    • SKX171 dial
    • Hands from the (blue) Ti Samurai (with an added red dot on the second hand)
    • Black day and date wheels
    • Sapphire crystal.

When modding the watch (having it modded), it's important to use original Seiko dials and hands: these are far superior when it comes to lumen quality! I've used my modded SKX during my holiday. I found out that you're able to read the time even after 7 hours in the dark!

Menno

The 007 is quite possibly the best mechanical watch out there for sheer value for money and built quality Martyn. As stated, Creation or Yorkshire Watches sell them along with a few ebay sellers etc. I am unsure on the tax and duty issues with Creation.

You cannot beat a Super Oyster bracelet.

Regarding the difference between the J and K models........there is nothing in it. I have owned both 007 models and they are identical as far as build quality is concerned. I do prefer the dial on the J model.

The SBDX001 is in a different league and I have owned a few since their first production year of 2000. The SBDX001 is around £2K new now so it really depends on what you want to do, financially.

For all round value, you really cannot beat an SKX007.

Here is my SKX clan

SKXA35 on Yobokies Hammer, 7002 on standard Jubilee, SKX009 on Yobokies Oyster (non SEL), modded SKX007 on WJean Super Oyster (non). You can't go wrong with the Oyster they are great quality and just lifts the watch.

Craftsman

Rgee

Tell me how do you find that Hammer from Harold, been looking at one for my 007 ??

Thanks

Nigel w

Lumpy

I don't know if he still does but Rob at monsterwatches.nl used to sell SKX007's and great lumpy bracelets with solid end links and a genuine seiko branded clasp.
    I am not affiliated with him but was very happy with my purchase with him, he also has a good rep on the dutch horlogeforum.nl.
    According to his site he has had some IT issues so might not reply for the moment

http://www.monsterwatches.eu/eu/inde...ts/steel/lumpy

Blog Entries
    I'd go for the skx171 that is cutrrently posted in the sales section and buy a bezel from yobokies or 10watches.com That's what I did :) , but I got the watch from creationwatches
    I don't care for the skx007/009 lume dots without the metal edges.

Here is my weekly beater:
    skx171
    skx007 bezel
    ebay bezel insert
    original seiko samurai hour and second hand
    super oyster bracelet with seiko clasp
    Last edited by yonsson; 19th June 2013 at 06:40.

Master
    If you live in the UK then get one from eBay.

I live in blighty and I recently bought the SKX007J from creation watches and the WJean super oyster II via ebay. The watch arrived late last week and i'm still waiting for the Wjean oyster to arrive.

One word of warning about creation watches. The watch arrived within days of ordering (great) but i changed the delivery address with fedex to my work address. I got an email days later from creation watches asking me for 10$ more because fedex charged them additional money for this change of address. I rang fedex with the intension of giving them a piece of my mind but they assured me that they never charged more for the change of address. I emailed creation watches back explaining this but they then sent me a invoice showing the charge. I rang fedex again and they catorgorically stated that they never charged additional money for the change. I don't know who to believe but it all looks abot suspicious.

To make matters worse the watch hour and minute minute hands do not align to the hour in fact at 6 ‘o’clock its some 8 minutes off and at 11 its bang on and at 12 its 2 minutes out. Odd.. I emailed creation watches about this and fedex response and i havent heard a response. Since this I read somewhere that creation watches often sell seconds. I alitte bit miffed :(

Still excited about recieving the oyster soon though it looks a great combo.

Good luck

Craftsman
    If you want something a little different look out for a black bullet skxa53. Very much like a 007/009 but bullets not dots. I like I cos it is not following the pack. I did not intend go for this but it popped up on SC when I was looking for a 007/009!

007 is a great watch. Fantastic value, got one on the jubilee bracelet which was a bit flimsy so switched to a thick leather strap. Was going to get a super oyster but have other sports watches with a bracelet and really like the look on leather so never got round to buying one.

Enjoy the watch!

Had "a few" SKX's in my time

The A53 is probably the nicest IMHO, but they are no longer made / hard to find.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Great choice OP.

I'll just echo the comments proclaiming the SKX007/9 being almost freakish value for money. Also the superness of the WJ super oyster.

As a small aside I confidently predict that you're destined to have an MM300 within a year or two - but the SKX will complement it perfectly as a beater.

Good Morning All,

Thank you for all the comments and pictures, it been a learning experience for me.

I am loving the 007 and now understand the comments regards the quality and finish being way above the sticker price point, I cannot stop looking at it! The feel and finish of the case, freak lume, and hands / dial are wonderful. I really like the stock jubilee bracelet and find it very comfortable, I am speaking with Mr. Jean and will have a super oyster ordered today :-)

I am presently resisting on the MM300 but know at some point it will probably happen.

Andy - the A53 looks great, when did they make that model?

Have a good weekend all :-)

Journeyman
    Hi got anskx 009 wear it every day at work love it to bits.

It's a great watch especially in the light of its price point. Mine gets most use as a travel watch for soiftar the more potentially "interesting" destinations my work takes me. It is just about smart enough to wear with a suit. It's seen service in Maputo, Lusaka and Kiev so far this year and will be coming with me to Santiago tomorrow. Mine's on a maratec which I think makes it a little more low key.

Craftsman
    I wonder if you could let me know how you get on with this? I'm thinking about getting an OM from creation and this doesn't bode well. :(
    Thanks
    Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by sts1976 View Post
    I live in blighty and I recently bought the SKX007J from creation watches and the WJean super oyster II via ebay. The watch arrived late last week and i'm still waiting for the Wjean oyster to arrive.

One word of warning about creation watches. The watch arrived within days of ordering (great) but i changed the delivery address with fedex to my work address. I got an email days later from creation watches asking me for 10$ more because fedex charged them additional money for this change of address. I rang fedex with the intension of giving them a piece of my mind but they assured me that they never charged more for the change of address. I emailed creation watches back explaining this but they then sent me a invoice showing the charge. I rang fedex again and they catorgorically stated that they never charged additional money for the change. I don't know who to believe but it all looks abot suspicious.

To make matters worse the watch hour and minute minute hands do not align to the hour in fact at 6 ‘o’clock its some 8 minutes off and at 11 its bang on and at 12 its 2 minutes out. Odd.. I emailed creation watches about this and fedex response and i havent heard a response. Since this I read somewhere that creation watches often sell seconds. I alitte bit miffed :(

Still excited about recieving the oyster soon though it looks a great combo.

Good luck

Great watch for the money. Here's my modded one with a Wjean mesh. Not tried the oyster, but the mesh is good quality.

IMG_0441 by DrBox, on Flickr

IMG_0442 by DrBox, on Flickr

I have shopped from Creationwatches a couple of times in the past. No problems at all.

My last purchase was the Seiko SKX007J3 with oyster bracelet. Personally I prefer the J versions from the K, although many people say that they are the exact same watch and the only difference is the dial.

Regarding the bracelet, it has a 22mm clasp and hollow end links. Personally I prefer the bracelet I purchased from monsterwatches in the past, which had 18mm clasp and solid end links.

Quote Originally Posted by joe1978 View Post
    I wonder if you could let me know how you get on with this? I'm thinking about getting an OM from creation and this doesn't bode well. :(
    Thanks
    Joe
    Still no response from creation watches which is disappointing.

Here is a picture of the skx007j with the hour hand spot on 6 and the minute hand trailing by at least seven minutes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344772659.954557.jpg

The next picture shows the minute hand spot on 12noon and the hour hand just past 6.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344772670.342817.jpg

I know it's not the end of the world given its great price but I'm a little bit gutted. Looks great on a black NATO though.

I went through the same dilemma when buying the 007 last week regards UK vs international purchase route.

It struck me that the chance of a faulty watch + potential duty charges on an international purchase, albeit a small risk, was sufficient for me to pay a little more and go with a UK based outlet. If you have a problem it should be easier and quicker to sort the situation with a UK based company.

Great to see there is so much love for the 007 and 009 :-)

Here is a picture of the skx007j with the hour hand spot on 6 and the minute hand trailing by at least seven minutes.

The next picture shows the minute hand spot on 12noon and the hour hand just past 6.

I know it's not the end of the world given its great price but I'm a little bit gutted. Looks great on a black NATO though.
    I think i would pi$$ anyone off.... What time does it change date?

Banned
    i like mine and have it on a NATO its like the ford cortina of watches.
    its easy to forget just how good these seiko divers are.

Banned
    and dont Fanny about [as inspector grim would say] leave it as it is.

It is a great watch. Jus received two straps from Eddie for it :-)
    Attachment 601

Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    Great watch for the money. Here's my modded one with a Wjean mesh. Not tried the oyster, but the mesh is good quality.

IMG_0441 by DrBox, on Flickr

IMG_0442 by DrBox, on Flickr
    I want mine to be like that, and I want it NOW.
    Pray tell me how this might happen. The hands are perfect, the dial lovely and the mesh, oohhhh, Nurse, pass me the Kleenex.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I want mine to be like that, and I want it NOW.
    Pray tell me how this might happen. The hands are perfect, the dial lovely and the mesh, oohhhh, Nurse, pass me the Kleenex.
    I got the watch head from yobokies; there're almost infinite combinations of dials, hands etc to choose from.

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t208/yobokies/Mods/

Mesh from wjean (eBay).

The challenge is deciding with all that choice...

Banned
    ruins a good watch imho

it looks like a ebay,parts bin, blinged up special and the mesh just looks wrong

just my view of course.

I got mine from Monsterwatches for Christmas a couple of years ago - It was called the Xmas model so I went for it and although I know some people think it's a bit bright and gaudy I quite like is as it goes with anything I wear.

Craftsman
    That would really annoy me too! Hope you get it sorted.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post

Nice watch in nice hands!

Quote Originally Posted by fotopetar View Post
    Nice watch in nice hands!
    I've been studying those pictures for the last ten minutes - where's the watch ??

Update - after 4 months with the 007 I am very, very happy :)

Is worn as a daily in rotation and is a great watch.

I like the jingle jangle Seiko jubilee bracelet, is so comfortable. Removing links during fitment was very exciting ..... my first experience with split pin links :)

Procured an Oyster bracelet from W Jean but not fitted it as yet, maybe over Christmas.

Hark and hail to all 007 lovers out there :)