closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Something a little different. A freshly caught Yellow Snapper

Something a little different. A freshly caught Yellow Snapper

Continuing my campaign to get more discussion going about more unusual watches here is a review of a recent 'catch'.

I received this vintage G Shock Fisherman some time ago. However, it needed a battery change when it arrived and I have just got round to putting a new one in.

So here are some pictures and a review.

The watch is NOS and is the DW-8600YJ-9T. I got this for a great price as well. Just shows you need to keep an eye out for bargains and they will come along eventually.

[

Titanium, which is where the 'Rust Resist' label comes from.

The watch is in a really sunny and bright yellow with black detailing which makes a good combination imo.

The strap is made of rather firm resin and this combined with the unusual double buckle design makes it quite tricky to put on and remove. I think it would have been better with just and ordinary buckle as I am not sure why it needs this extra protection against accidental opening compared to other Gs.

The words FISHERMAN and RUST RESIST are moulded in to the top of the straps.

It is fairly well featured around its outdoorsman/.fisherman theme.

It has a permanent graphical display of temperature which is displayed in Centigrade with no option to switch. This is quite a good use of the famous G Shock 'eye', much better than just flashing with the seconds.

If you prefer, in timekeeping mode it will display the temperature on the main display instead of the date as well as the graphical display of the temperature

It has a Moon phase display and you can check the information out for any date past or present.

Also it has Sunset and Sunrise times which again can be checked by date. I think this complication is quite useful.

The watch makes its calculations from difference to GMT and longitude and latitude data you input.

It has a tide graph. The data for this has to be input by giving the lunitidal interval with no option to just set it by inputting the high tide information which is less convenient than some new tide watches.

It also has the usual daily alarm and hourly signal. The alarm is for a full 20 seconds and is very loud. It also has a 24 hour stop watch with the usual split times function.

It has the Auto EL feature with a rather cool mermaid graphic.

So a rather cool Master of G, especially in this colour combo. The graphical temperature eye is especially cool and I can't think of another G Shock that has this feature.

A wrist shot to finish off.

Mitch

Blog Entries

That's very unusual

never seen that before.
    Great pics as well.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

What a nice review, excellent shots of a very nice looking G Shock.

Classic model, Mitch - you did well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    never seen that before.
    Great pics as well.

Daddel.
    +1

Not a G-Shock I've come across before either and although I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea I actually quite like it - even though it seems to wear quite big, but then what G doesn't I suppose. I particularly like the mermaid detail on the Ti case back, nice!

Blog Entries
    That's very nice, even in that colour scheme. Those features do seem genuinely useful for many people.

I see the module is a 4629 1629 so I'll have a look for other watches based on that.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 16th August 2012 at 14:02. Reason: Corrected module ref

What is this, Watch Talk ?

Very interesting and I'm not even interested in G shocks. If that makes sense.

Great post.

Paul

Thanks for the nice presentation

Quote Originally Posted by BigTel View Post
    What a nice review, excellent shots of a very nice looking G Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    never seen that before.
    Great pics as well.

Daddel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    What is this, Watch Talk ?

Very interesting and I'm not even interested in G shocks. If that makes sense.

Great post.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Thanks for the nice presentation

Cheers!

I think it adds interest to the forum to discuss more unusual watches. Even if you normally think you wouldn't have one given to you, reading about them in a little more depth may cause someone to reconsider.

I always think that if something is well designed around its main functional purpose and stays true to that purpose, then the aesthetics seem to grow on me and you can see style and beauty that did not strike on casual viewing.

Mitch

Master
    Nice review Mitch, same for me not seen that G before.

Speaking of G does anyone know any shops in London that have the new raf gshocks.

What a cool model!!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Nice review Mitch, same for me not seen that G before.

Speaking of G does anyone know any shops in London that have the new raf gshocks.
    Available on ebay I believe

OP that's a fine review of the functions of the watch. Really interesting what they've managed to pack into it.

Master
    I'd love one of these amongst my G-Shock collection... really nice find! This model was the precursor to the Gulfman series that's now available