closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bremont watches - are they worth the price.

Master
    Real easy answer:

A) If you are buying based on money buy the cheaper of the two

B) If you are buying based on looks, appeal or just the aesthetics buy the one which YOU prefer most because in reality only YOU really know what YOU like

Journeyman
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the comments they have made. For the most part they have been insightful and helpful.

But I think we may have moved off topic, and I fear this may be because I have not expressed myself clearly. What I wanted to know was if the extra outlay for the Bremont was worth it when the Damasko appeared to be a very similar watch. My question was never about the value of the watch. If all I wanted was value for money I'd wear my G-Shock all the time, instead of just when I'm at work. For the comments here it seems that the extra outlay would be worth it as Bermont have certified movements whereas Damasko don't (although I think they used to use DIN certified movements, I may be wrong on this) and the case construction and hardening appears to be of higher quality on the Bremont. I am a little put off by one of bylandie's posts which says there is a 40% markup by authorised dealers. This seems excessive but then again I don't know what the markup on watches like Omega and Rolex are so I can't really comment.

But again thanks for the comments (and feel free to add more) but I think I'll take the Damasko off the list and see what other day-date watches I can find.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bydandie View Post

why has the Omega Aqua Terra risen in price by £895 in three years?
    It now has a bespoke manufacture movement rather than a modified ETA which goes some way to explain the reason.

Hello

DA46 on SC, try it, if your not keen, flip it and get a Bremont.

Banned

Bremont watches - are they worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    It now has a bespoke manufacture movement rather than a modified ETA which goes some way to explain the reason.
    I'm talking about the price increase on the AT 8500 ;)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wycni8 View Post
    First off, I'd like to thank everyone for the comments they have made. For the most part they have been insightful and helpful.

But I think we may have moved off topic, and I fear this may be because I have not expressed myself clearly. What I wanted to know was if the extra outlay for the Bremont was worth it when the Damasko appeared to be a very similar watch. My question was never about the value of the watch. If all I wanted was value for money I'd wear my G-Shock all the time, instead of just when I'm at work. For the comments here it seems that the extra outlay would be worth it as Bermont have certified movements whereas Damasko don't (although I think they used to use DIN certified movements, I may be wrong on this) and the case construction and hardening appears to be of higher quality on the Bremont. I am a little put off by one of bylandie's posts which says there is a 40% markup by authorised dealers. This seems excessive but then again I don't know what the markup on watches like Omega and Rolex are so I can't really comment.

But again thanks for the comments (and feel free to add more) but I think I'll take the Damasko off the list and see what other day-date watches I can find.
    The 40% is standard for any AD, I don't know this is the markup for Bremont. Regarding DIN, Damaskos were never certified to anything, although they are regulated.

Sorry these statements aren't exactly correct; I'm pretty sure that Sinn and Bremont use a kloisterising technique which bombards the surface of the case with carbon and hardens the case. Beadblasting doesn't do this, and also needs refinishing. The major difference between the normal hardened finishes of Sinn and Damasko is that they look dull, although the more expensive tegimented Sinn case have the same satinised finish of Bremont cases.

The movement holder, whilst not unique, was implemented primarily for the resistance to vibrations and sudden shock encountered in the tests conducted by Martin Baker. Bremont did find that all movements display less impact from impact when fully wound, regardless of the anti-shock mount.
    I think you'll find that the Kolsterising and Tegiment treatments are the same with different names and they only harden the top few microns so that the substrate is still normal hardness. This means that although the surface is very scratch resistant, a hard knock can still result in a "ding" which cannot be removed. This is also sometime called the "eggshell effect" because it has a hard shell and softer inner. The Damasko ice-hardening treatment hardens the entire case and does not "ding".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I think you'll find that the Kolsterising and Tegiment treatments are the same with different names and they only harden the top few microns so that the substrate is still normal hardness. This means that although the surface is very scratch resistant, a hard knock can still result in a "ding" which cannot be removed. This is also sometime called the "eggshell effect" because it has a hard shell and softer inner. The Damasko ice-hardening treatment hardens the entire case and does not "ding".

Eddie
    That's what I said, wasn't it?

That's what I said, wasn't it?
    Well if it was, that's not what I understood ;-).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned

Well if it was, that's not what I understood ;-).

Eddie
    Fair enough! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout View Post
    If the OP is having an ejection seat firing on him on the way to work (in the above mentioned helicopter*), I doubt that he would have to worry about anything at all ... ever! ;-)

*That being said, there are actually helicopter ejection seats. Just not in the type of chopper mentioned above.
    I assumed that the OP was travelling to work in a Kamov Ka-50; hence I suggested the Damasko as the watch to get.

While the MB2 is an amazing watch, it's far better suited to non-Russian Military Attack Helicopters, in my very humble opinion. In much the same way, I'd only ever wear a Vostok while taking the Ekranoplan (although I might make an exception and pop on the Bremont if Hubert Bigend offered me a ride).

The Ecurie Ecosse

Yes! I've got one.
    See this

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.

Eddie

Eddie is correct with the above. The process only hardens a few mircons deep, and is very resistant to scratching{very}, though if you drop the watch its likely to dent the underlying softer case, which means its difficult to remove the dent. However, it means that the case retains some flexability with a hardened coating rather than the Damasko treatment which it has been argued, makes the case more prone to cracking if a sufficient blow is applied, because its hardened right through.

Bremonts anti reflective coating is without doubt the best i've ever experienced, far better than both Sinn,IWC and Damasko in my opinion, it should also be noted that the Bremont case hardening is to 2000 Vickers, and Sinn is only 1200 by comparison. Bremonts anti reflective is also very close to 2000 Vickers which is as hard as the Sapphire itself, but like a sapphire it can be scratched is your really unlucky, but its far more resistant than my U1 is by comparison.

In my own experience both Sinn and Damasko make really good products, but both suffer in my opinion from customer service issues, and whilst Bremont are new to the game they offer excellent customer service. Its also easier to find a watch to actually try on with Bremont because the have dealer with showrooms here in the UK. They are easily contactable by all the regular lines of communication and respond quickly to any issues you have........this is not my experience with Sinn or Damasko.

The quality of all three is excellent, but personal preference on design and looks are important to each individual. For me Bremont scores higher in all aspects, so thats where my money has gone. I currently own 4 of them and i'm not disappointed with any of them. As a comparison........my Sinn U1 has scratches on the casing which being bead blasted stand out more. The anti reflective coating is scratched so badly i think i'm going to polish it off. The lume is really poor on both markers and hands, and if i'm honest it really hasnt had the abuse my Supermarine has. On a plus its better depth rated than my Supermarine, but am i really ever going to need that ?.......unlikely.

As i said personel preferences will ultimately rule your brain and therefore your wallet........either that or a cheeky bargin !

Buy the watch you like the look of best.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Buy the watch you like the look of best.
    That's what I would too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Eddie is correct with the above. The process only hardens a few mircons deep, and is very resistant to scratching{very}, though if you drop the watch its likely to dent the underlying softer case, which means its difficult to remove the dent. However, it means that the case retains some flexability with a hardened coating rather than the Damasko treatment which it has been argued, makes the case more prone to cracking if a sufficient blow is applied, because its hardened right through.

Bremonts anti reflective coating is without doubt the best i've ever experienced, far better than both Sinn,IWC and Damasko in my opinion, it should also be noted that the Bremont case hardening is to 2000 Vickers, and Sinn is only 1200 by comparison. Bremonts anti reflective is also very close to 2000 Vickers which is as hard as the Sapphire itself, but like a sapphire it can be scratched is your really unlucky, but its far more resistant than my U1 is by comparison.

In my own experience both Sinn and Damasko make really good products, but both suffer in my opinion from customer service issues, and whilst Bremont are new to the game they offer excellent customer service. Its also easier to find a watch to actually try on with Bremont because the have dealer with showrooms here in the UK. They are easily contactable by all the regular lines of communication and respond quickly to any issues you have........this is not my experience with Sinn or Damasko.

The quality of all three is excellent, but personal preference on design and looks are important to each individual. For me Bremont scores higher in all aspects, so thats where my money has gone. I currently own 4 of them and i'm not disappointed with any of them. As a comparison........my Sinn U1 has scratches on the casing which being bead blasted stand out more. The anti reflective coating is scratched so badly i think i'm going to polish it off. The lume is really poor on both markers and hands, and if i'm honest it really hasnt had the abuse my Supermarine has. On a plus its better depth rated than my Supermarine, but am i really ever going to need that ?.......unlikely.

As i said personel preferences will ultimately rule your brain and therefore your wallet........either that or a cheeky bargin !
    Thanks very much for your reply. From your comments it seems that paying the extra for the Bremont would be worth it, what with the better case and customer service. Its always useful to hear from someone who has experienced both watches.

So all I need now is a gun, a well stocked bank and a sleepy guard ;-) Any ideas on that one?