closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panerai, which one?????

Master

Panerai, which one?????

I am definately starting to like the Panerai in a big way, ( aren't we all ), but am not sure about which particular model, can someone point me in the direction of somewhere that i can view all the different models etc so as to try and narrow it down to just a couple to choose from.
    Alternatively have there been any threads on here relating to this subject.
    Thanx.

______

​Jim.

Master
    I would head on over to http://paneristi.com/ for a comprehensive listing. There are many many variations.

edit: beaten due to terrible internet connection!
    Last edited by Bonesey; 22nd October 2012 at 15:17.

Choose the shape you like: Sub, Luminor etc

Choose your movement; manual wind, automatic

Then complications: GMT, Date, 8 day

Then go for the cheapest black dial available with what you want. The variations are very small (not quite as bad as the vintage Rolex Subs but getting close).

Just my opinion but Panerai are a slippery slope of getting hung up on very small details.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Now's that's a lot to choose from, I had no idea there were soooooooooo many.

Think about it for a few months, look at some in shop windows, maybe try a couple on. Realise they're very expensive, mostly too big, and not even that nice, and then buy something else instead :-)

Well, that's what I'd do, but that's just me...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post

Then go for the cheapest black dial available with what you want. The variations are very small (not quite as bad as the vintage Rolex Subs but getting close).

Just my opinion but Panerai are a slippery slope of getting hung up on very small details.
    Good advice, will start my list.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    Think about it for a few months, look at some in shop windows, maybe try a couple on. Realise they're very expensive, mostly too big, and not even that nice, and then buy something else instead :-)

Well, that's what I'd do, but that's just me...
    I suppose you're right about trying some on, but that's not always possible unless you live near to a retailer that stocks a few, and you don't find these at your local jewellers.
    I don't mind the size so much, I prefer a chunky watch, I currently have a breitling navi world in the safe, and that's quite a size, but apart from not wearing it that often I'm actually finding it a bit busy, dial wise, so I quite like the idea of something a bit more plain, if that's what you would call a panerai.

If you can't try one on first, buy one second hand (SC here would be a good place to start looking), as that way you'll be able to shift it on if you don't like it without losing much. Buying new you will lose a shedload of cash if you decide you don't like it.

Master
    I got my first Panerai this year..... It's a 164.... Which as far as I can tell isn't one of the "in" models..... But to be honest I don't really care about that, and buy what I like....

So what can I tell you about the 164?? Well it's automatic, and its a certified chronometer, it has seconds at 9 and date at 3....the date bubble, is under the crystal, which I think is a neat feature....

The case itself is brushed on the sides, and the bezel is polished.... Good lume on the dial.... All in all I really like it.... Despite not being an in vogue, model... It's obviously a Panerai....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    If you can't try one on first, buy one second hand (SC here would be a good place to start looking), as that way you'll be able to shift it on if you don't like it without losing much. Buying new you will lose a shedload of cash if you decide you don't like it.
    I would be looking at buying second hand, never like the idea of losing a shed load on a new model.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I got my first Panerai this year..... It's a 164.... Which as far as I can tell isn't one of the "in" models..... But to be honest I don't really care about that, and buy what I like....

So what can I tell you about the 164?? Well it's automatic, and its a certified chronometer, it has seconds at 9 and date at 3....the date bubble, is under the crystal, which I think is a neat feature....

The case itself is brushed on the sides, and the bezel is polished.... Good lume on the dial.... All in all I really like it.... Despite not being an in vogue, model... It's obviously a Panerai....

Thanx for your thoughts, and by the way, i love your hairy cushions, lol.

There is a 177 for sale in the SC, personally I love it, the titanium case adds something different from the usual polished stainless. (Not that there is anything wrong with s/s)

That 177 on the SF is really sweet, the essence of Panerai, nothing fancy and does what it says on the tin (you'll appreciate the titanium as they are not so hefty)

on the other hand an 8 or 10 day with in-house movement and the 1950 case is to die for but way more $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I would be looking at buying second hand, never like the idea of losing a shed load on a new model.
    Buying second hand is the way to go to be honest. You can pick up a good deal and most of the sellers here tend to look after their watches.

As said in the earlier post, you need to decide how much you are going to spend, which model and most importantly of all, try them on. PAM tends to be pretty thick and I had to have new shirts made as I wore mine to work.

I had a PAM 104 which wasn't the cheapest model but it did the job, simple appearance with a date.

Grand Master
    Save yourself a bit of the journey and go with a 47mm historic or Ltd so consider 232, 372, 249 etc, all top end and will stand the test of time
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had no idea the were so many models. It's a bit overwhelming to be honest.

I can't get over the FS that although they historically accurate, a diving watch is pretty useless without a timing bezel.

Master
    This is getting harder and harder to choose a particular model, well at least i know what I'll be doing from now until xmas, and if i don't get it in my stocking I'll go out and buy it my bloody self.
    Whoops! are we allowed to mention that word this early.

That's good advice. I would however rephrase:

Pick a case (44mm for the Luminor, the Radiomir wears nice also in the smaller option)

Manual is the way to go with Panerai

Forget complications and small details, too much of a fuss. Stick with the historic and you can't go wrong. Titanium is also a nice choice as it makes the watch much wearable than the steel counterpart.

Master
    Never understood the appeal of Panerai to be honest.

Go with what you feel looks best, after all it is your watch, not a collective ownership!

Master

Amen to that!!

There are so many variants it can be confusing....it certainly was for me when i started looking at them....But a mate brought out their 233 a few times and i was smitten....took a few years til i got one but been with me a couple of years now and the only watch that makes me smile. Nothing comes close (IMHO!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    There are so many variants it can be confusing....it certainly was for me when i started looking at them....But a mate brought out their 233 a few times and i was smitten....took a few years til i got one but been with me a couple of years now and the only watch that makes me smile. Nothing comes close (IMHO!)

Oooh! that's nice, would love to see a few wrist shots if possible, just to see how big these wear.

The variations are very small (not quite as bad as the vintage Rolex Subs but getting close).

Very true IMO. With PAMs, they all look the same at first, but you get drawn into the fine details and then suddenly there's a huge range of them (and that's before you get into straps). You have to be a fan of the overall style though. (It certainly isn't as obsessive as the whole vintage Sub thing, which still slightly bemuses me).

Grand Master
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Nice, which particular model is that.
    What I like about it is that it says, "don't F*ck with me, coz I'm hard' but would also look good if you're all suited and booted.
    Does that make sense.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am definately starting to like the Panerai in a big way, ( aren't we all ), but am not sure about which particular model, can someone point me in the direction of somewhere that i can view all the different models etc so as to try and narrow it down to just a couple to choose from.
    Alternatively have there been any threads on here relating to this subject.
    Thanx.

Have you looked here? http://www.panerai.com/s_page.xpd?id...2&id_sezione=1

Craftsman
    Big fan of Panerai and own three. I agree that the choices can be overwhelming, but if you take a systematic approach it's pretty easy to narrow them down. There are three basic styles of watch case, the Radiomir, the Luminor and the Subs. Deciding which of the three you prefer will significantly narrow down your choices. Then decide if you want automatic or manual wind. Next decide what functions you want - i.e. date, second hand, power reserve indicator, GMT, chrono, etc. Then decide if you want steel, titanium, gold and brushed or polished case. By now you should have it down to a couple of models. If you have a preference for in-house vs. ETA movements, that will further narrow things down.

Also agree with the recommendation of trying to find a nice used one. There seems to be a very active used market for these watches and you can save a ton of money over buying new. I've bought all three of my watches used, although from www.paneristi.com rather than SC. Of course, I'm in the U.S. so it's just easier to deal with U.S. sellers.

Finally, once you get the watch your not really done. Now you can move on to straps. To me one of the neat things about PAM's is that strap changes are pretty easy and can really change the character of the watch - black croc makes it more formal, nice leather ammo goes great with jeans and t-shirt.

The only downside is that it can get addictive and Panerai seems to have a real talent for being able to come out with new designs twists on their iconic look.

Craftsman
    Oh, and 100thmonkey, that's probably my favorite model of the new watches they've come out with recently. Really looks great on the wrist.

Master

I've had until very recently the 312 (bottom pic) replaced by the 000 (top pic). Much prefer the less fussy face of the zero (no date or seconds) . It also has a slimmer case which sits better on the wrist than the 50s case of the 312.

The zero is also closer to the the original Panerai models - minus the price tag of course;)

Bought my base 000 Pam couple of months ago and it has hardly been off my wrist,in fact I've had to force myself to wear something different on a couple of occasions just to give it a break.
    It is by far the most commented on watch I've ever owned and gets nothing but admiration from all who notice it,simplicity of design and as others have pointed out an ability to change the watches character with a simple strap change make this a definite keeper,in fact I'm now looking at trading my GMT2 for a Auto model of some description.

Great thread... Owners with pictures... Please keep the pictures coming! Its a great education!

Blog Entries
    Perhaps start looking into the base models. That is where panerai's dna truly lies. Additionally, depending on your budget you could take a look at the preV models.
    To be brutally honest, most pams are "fashion" pieces except for a couple preVs and rare exceptions...

What do you think?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I started with a 111 but didn't get on with the thickness:

Got a 210 which is a bit thinner and IMO wears better, not that I wear it much though :(

Craftsman

Panerai, which one?????

112. Manual wind. No logo. Sandwich dial. Display back. Pretty much the cheapest and nicest looking PAM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    328:

233:

Looking at this thread is making me want a Panerai! - I feel a trade of a 14060 coming on!!

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of Panerai again myself, and have posted a WTB for a 283.
    I know 40mm is unpopular but does any one have any opinions on the 283 ,good or bad ?
    Sorry for thread hi jack :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    I'm thinking of Panerai again myself, and have posted a WTB for a 283.
    I know 40mm is unpopular but does any one have any opinions on the 283 ,good or bad ?
    Sorry for thread hi jack :-)
    No need to apologies for hi jacking, it's what it's all about, bringing more discussion into the thread, and of course introducing another model into the mix.

My base..

Radiomir or Luminor?
    Manual or automatic?

Manuals are thinner cases. Luminors wear a little smaller than Rads but the 26mm strap makes it very stable and comfortable. I dithered over which to buy and in the end went for the Radiomir as the less common but more historic variant. I also prefer the crown on the Rad to the crownguard on the Luminor but I may be alone in that!

My Pam black seal Radiomir PAM380. The cheapest model in the range at about £2750 new but still with a chronometer rated movement and with a second hand at the 9 to boot.

I had this for sale recently but changed my mind. It was a cash raising exercise but actually my Panerai does feel a lot of watch for the money. I've got some nice chronometer rated Omegas old and new but as all Panerai owners already know PAM's have an X factor that is unknowable until it goes on the wrist. With jeans and a T shirt and some sunlight it rules.

(also for the other silly cinema thread, PAM's are great at the kids matinee for seeing how much longer you have to suffer until Top Cat ends! The.lume.just.works.)

I agree that plain and simple is best. Manual wind, no complications, sandwich dial with no logo, and a display back.

I had a 112 which was very nice but now have the 176. I love the colour of the titanium and it wears a bit better than the 112 because it is lighter.

Last edited by hhhh; 24th October 2012 at 13:49.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unwittingaccomplice View Post
    I also prefer the crown on the Rad to the crownguard on the Luminor but I may be alone in that!
    You are definitely not alone :)

What are the differences between a 176 & 177?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash7 View Post
    What are the differences between a 176 & 177?
    The 177 has a seconds sub-dial at 9 o'clock.
    Last edited by hhhh; 24th October 2012 at 14:38.

Master
    I agree with hhhh, the 176 would be a great choice! Sandwich dial, no date, no secondhand, handwound and the colour of this titanium version looks more like brushed steel. The lack of weight doesn't bother me at all, in fact, it's so much more comfortable than the 024 sub I previously owned.

Couple of pics of my 176...I love that sandwich dial!

Master
    I thought I preferred the sandwich dial, but having now had the 000 - painted is my preference.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neebsta View Post
    I thought I preferred the sandwich dial, but having now had the 000 - painted is my preference.
    This may be a stupid question, but when you say, "sandwich" dial, do you mean it's more than one layer, and the hour marks etc are cut outs to reveal what's underneath, or have i got this totally wrong.

This may be a stupid question, but when you say, "sandwich" dial, do you mean it's more than one layer, and the hour marks etc are cut outs to reveal what's underneath, or have i got this totally wrong.
    You got it in one.

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    The 177 has a seconds sub-dial at 9 o'clock.
    Many thanks