closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thomas Cook - should I?

Thomas Cook - should I?

We went with Thomas Cook this year & whilst the ATOL bonding was reassuring to a degree, I was stressed about the possibility of losing my holiday at the last minute, or getting stranded abroad if they went pop.

Since then their financial situation appears to have deteriorated further, but they are offering virtually the same holiday next year as the one I'm looking at booking for nearly £500 less. I'm inclined to save myself the anxiety & book with First Choice or Thompson, but £500 is not a trivial saving.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We went with Thomas Cook this year & whilst the ATOL bonding was reassuring to a degree, I was stressed about the possibility of losing my holiday at the last minute, or getting stranded abroad if they went pop.

Since then their financial situation appears to have deteriorated further, but they are offering virtually the same holiday next year as the one I'm looking at booking for nearly £500 less. I'm inclined to save myself the anxiety & book with First Choice or Thompson, but £500 is not a trivial saving.
    I don`t think you need to worry, they won`t go bust.

I had the misfortune to buy the shares a couple of years back for the dividend income..........not my best day's business. I`ve stopped fretting about it, I`ve simply written that money off.

Paul

Book away they are not going anywhere.

I work for TUI (Thomson/First Choice) and we still are keeping an eye on them. They will be discounting their Holidays heavily for 13 to regain lost market share.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post

I work for TUI (Thomson/First Choice) and we still are keeping an eye on them. They will be discounting their Holidays heavily for 13 to regain lost market share.

^^^ this - bargains to be had for 2013 ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Phibes View Post

Great info! - Cheers

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    ^^^ this - bargains to be had for 2013 ;-)
    I'll be wanting an holiday for 6 adults and 6 kids somewhere in the Med next year all inclusive, So when will these bargains be visible to Joe public?.Not looking for advice on where to go just re the huge savings...WHEN will I see the huge discounts?, 2012 or early 2013?.

Journeyman
    In most cases if you book you own flights and the same accommodation as a package deal it will cost about 200 pounds more. The up side is that package deals often have the worst flight times. Given what you pay for a holiday I would look at booking it yourself.

Ross

I always book myself, can't stand using holiday companies.

Master
    I always use an independent travel agent - Gaynor at jasminejadeholidays.com is excellent.

Rob

Grand Master
    PLEEEEEEEEZE.......Everyone book a holiday with Thomas Cook! That'll help restore their fortunes (hopefully).

I won`t disclose what I lost by my ill-fated decision to invest in the shares a couple of years back..........but I`ll need to fix a lot of watches to recoup my loss!

Travel companies are a poor investment, although I can`t understand why they're so unstable given the fact that the market is huge and the business is mature and well-understood.

Banned
    We went away this year 2 weeks Portugal 5 star hotel during the 6 weeks holiday, Thomas cook £900 more with the same holiday, we booked separate, no hassle good flight times, and taxi transfer. 4 or us total cost self catering £2400, as against £3200.00.

Craftsman
    Buy 500 Thomas Cook shares and you get 10% off after 6 months. Paul the share price is on the up (23p), though I may bought in at the opposite end to you...

Anyway a few years back I was in Havana not long after the Icelandic air quality grounding. The hot bar topic of conversation happened to be how the British holiday makers ATOL protection had kept funding the accommodation and new flights cost, while everyone else was maxing their credit cards out in extra costs... worth bearing in mind chaps.