closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Range Rover

Craftsman

New Range Rover

Interested to see what people here think of the new shape Range Rover...

Looking to swap our three-year old X5 and with the new X5 probably a year away, this seems to be be only (albeit expensive) alternative.

Would probably go with the 3 litre diesel Vogue SE.

Thoughts all welcome, I'm more than a little worried about the world's attitude to Range Rovers!

The one I bought new in 2003 was an utter disaster, but will be watching reports on the new one as if Jag have managed to pull their socks up maybe LR will have too.

Lovely looking thing for sure, but the prices OMG talk about big windows in the showrooms! I paid around £53k for a mid-level back in 2003, the base now starts off at what £72k. Yikes!!!

Given others experiences and the worry I would end up on first name terms with my dealership staff (recent Discovery thread) I would give it a wide birth!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

We have one on order for work. £98k V8
    I am a massive fan having had two Full Fats previously.
    Can't wait for April to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by jem0911 View Post
    We have one on order for work. £98k V8
    I am a massive fan having had two Full Fats previously.
    Can't wait for April to arrive.
    Serious Q - would you spend £98k of your own money on one (not via the firm).?

Master
    Just seen the pics, and I'm not keen at all. The old one looked better.... no doubt time will improve it for my eyes

Reliability would kill it for me, i work in the trade and very rarely hear any positives at all regarding Land Rover in any guise. Stick to what you know and wait for the new F15 X5, which should actually be launched in Q4 this year

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644916

The best looking 4x4 by far inside and out. I'm not in the market for such a vehicle but if I was that would be top of my list.

Master
    I absolutely love the RR and would (if you've got the money) definitely go for it over the X5 based on the interior alone. Have had two sports now over the last 6 years and they have been faultless (other than their thirst) and the driving experience unsurpassed to date. The others I tested, in comparison, whilst functional and efficient were like driving test tubes.....

I test drove a FFRR, RRS & X5 all in one day and all are vastly different. The RRS sits in a funny spot, as a drivers car, the X5 is excellent and totally blew me away. It felt like a much smaller almost sports car compared to a large 4x4. The FFRR was incredible, not as a drivers car, but it felt like a rolls royce, totally awesome. The RRS however had a harsh ride and felt cramped inside as well as having a lower quality interior.

If i were ordering new, I would look at a FFRR providing that it was under warranty.

Chris

Journeyman
    had a test drive in the new Full Size RR, dunno the spec but was priced at £110k,
    Awesome.
    I don't actually like cars being a biker born n bred, but for the first time in my life, I really really, no, really want one of those.
    I'll wait 3 years 'till the depreciation has kicked in then I'm going to get one (3 years old)
    I have been driving RRs's for the last 5 years and like them as cars.
    the more recent ones (mine is a year old) are actually harsher than the older ones.
    the new low profile tyres are horrible and give a crashy ride
    the new 8 speed box is awful compared to the old 6 speed one.
    it is brutal on the upchanges and laggy on the downchanges, the computer can't decide on gentle acceleration for ages then gives it "large" when you don't really want it.
    but,
    the interior is actually really nice, and the acoustic glass lets you speak normally to people at the legal limit.

The full size RR is class, fek the price tag, you only live once.
    one seriously nice way to pass the miles.
    and
    takes a tow bar !
    :-) handy for the glider :-)

Journeyman
    I'm not presonally into the 'Chealsea Tractor' type of car.

For me they appear to be too low to be proper offroaded, and not sporty enough to be fun on the road (especially with a diesel lump).

But if you are going from an X5, I'm sure it'll be a close enough change that it'll be fine. Either that or a Cayenne, GX, ML or Q7 I suppose, I'm sure they are all pretty comparable. I'm not sure if a RR will be screwed together as well as the BMW though.

Craftsman

New Range Rover

The new FFRR is in a different (higher) class to the X5 with the top specs now nudging Bentley territory. If you can stand the depreciation then go for it. I recently had one of the new ones for a weekend test drive and decided its a lovely thing but it attracted a bit too much attention for me. The new RRS is launched the end of this month and will be a closer rival to the X5

Going on past experiences, ive had two Range Rovers, and most of my chums have had them as well, and thinking about it not one of us has a Range Rover at the moment, though we all have less than funny stories to share down the pub regarding build quality, cost to run, depreciation ect, but if you have deep pockets and enjoy spending your spare time talking to the guys in the service dept, well go ahead.

Craftsman
    The new RRS to be 'revealed' on 26th March - www.newrangeroversport.com

I think it looks like the new FFRR and Evoque have been getting jiggy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post

Sorry I think that looks out of proportion, the area below the headlights simply looks 'too fat'.

In the looks department Land rover seem to have lost their way with their larger vehicles. They seem to be aimed exclusively at footballers wives rather than people who want a luxury 4x4 for reasons other than 'look what I've got'.
    Just my opinion although £72k seems an awful lot for a base model that no one will be buying.
    James

Personally i like that, it looks as though the Evoque has joined the gym.

We're looking to change our 911 and 520 Touring in for an SUV sometime soon, so I'm interested in the comments here.
    So far we've tried the MB M Class (wallowy to drive, not particularly impressed with the overall fit and finish) and the Cayenne (bloody lovely to drive, a little fussy inside but definitely in the lead at the moment). Trying a Disco and maybe an old RRS at the weekend. We'd originally ruled the FFRR out on the basis of price, but given how well speced they are anyway (to get a base Cayenne Diesel to a similar spec as the entry level FFRR would need £25k+ of extras) we might revisit.

The missus ruled out the X5 immediately as 'it's so boring to look at'. There's no come back on that one so we're not even going to try it!

It's slowly morphing into this:

Just get one of these ond be done with it.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

All the top end 4X4 I'd ever want, do want but can't have - yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Just get one of these ond be done with it.

Eddie
    Dang that's mental.

This one might just fit on the roads a little better being just a tad bigger than a RR silver shadow

Last edited by gray; 22nd March 2013 at 11:22.
    Gray

Craftsman
    I had my doubts about the new Range Rover looks but a few weeks ago i took our 2008 RR in for some warranty work and a couple of the new RR were in the car park. Alongside them were 62 plate but older shape RR and then my reservations quickly went.

The pictures do not do it justice and in person its a great looking car, interior is nothing other luxury, no other 4x4 could compete and i am sure its superb to drive, a huge step on from our 2008 car.

Ive been in and driven X5, Q7 and the RR Sport before buying a RR and have not regretted that decision once.

Downside is the cost of the new one, £100k+, ouch!

I've been in one of the new FFRR's and it is a revelation compared to the wallowy old heaps that I was used to. The new dynamic suspension feels terrific and inside is a very pleasant place to be. I sat in the back in the "executive" seats and watched telly as I was driven along. Great fun being able to adjust your own air con for each seat position, and even more fun sitting in the back and being able to adjust the FRONT passengers seat to give yourself more legroom!

The one I went in was a V8 diesel turbo jobby and by the heck, did it fly! the gearbox felt very smooth and swift to change up and down and some of the details were lovely.

Having disliked RR's since they first went up market, I was fully expecting to hate the new one, but I was wrong - I loved it, and if I had £107,000 then I'd have one.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Going on past experiences, ive had two Range Rovers, and most of my chums have had them as well, and thinking about it not one of us has a Range Rover at the moment, though we all have less than funny stories to share down the pub regarding build quality, cost to run, depreciation ect, but if you have deep pockets and enjoy spending your spare time talking to the guys in the service dept, well go ahead.
    That is what has always put me off. Their reputation for reliability, running costs and customer service is generally abysmal.

About ten years ago I bought the missus a Freelander - it was about 18months old, fully loaded, and was a total heap of s**t. It broke down constantly, always had minor issues going wrong, and the servicing costs were (I am reliably informed) more expensive than a Rolls Royce. Apparently they are the highest in the industry.

I very much doubt we'll ever have another Land Rover product.

As for 100k plus for a Range Rover - utterly mad in my opinion.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    I have run 4x4s for years including Land Rover and Range Rovers. The depreciation from new is too much for me to stomach these days. They are great cars when they are running well. With kids gone etc we no longer need the room so my wife and I each run a Freelander 2. I bought them privately just as they came out of warranty, I service them myself and any straight forward work. They have proved completely reliable. I also have a good independent LR garage about 40 mins away who are happy to provide support on anything. The dealers are generally very poor and Land Rover products can be very expensive to run but I think we have now arrived at a compromise where I am happy. My 4x4s get 'used' and I can say that the FL2 is a great car - streets ahead of the old FL1. All that said, with my own money, I would not buy a FFRR - old or new.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    All the top end 4X4 I'd ever want, do want but can't have - yet.

^^^

While I adore the G-Klasse, I'm not sure I have enough capes and utility belts in my wardrobe to make the matte-black look work for me.

I'd still take that botched example over the new Range Rover, though. It seems like a vehicle that has no reason to live, but I probably lack sufficient appreciation for the "sporty" minivan thing.

Master
    Why anyone with children or one eye on our planets future would even consider this type of vehicle I really do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Crouchy View Post
    Sorry I think that looks out of proportion, the area below the headlights simply looks 'too fat'.

In the looks department Land rover seem to have lost their way with their larger vehicles. They seem to be aimed exclusively at footballers wives rather than people who want a luxury 4x4 for reasons other than 'look what I've got'.
    Just my opinion although £72k seems an awful lot for a base model that no one will be buying.
    James
    I couldn't disagree more.

Since Land Rovers appointment of Gerry McGovern they've found their way. Designing a modern 4x4 in today's market is possibly the toughest job in Vehicle design. You've got to get the right balance of Ruggedness, Luxury, Sportyness all in one car, which has to sit high and is generally based on a boxy chassis. Look at Porsche's first attempt with the Cayenne, that was an absolute dog, from one of the most respected design houses in the world. Then Audi's first Q7 was no looker, and those guys know how to design too.

Range Rover are soon to have 3 cars in their line up that (I believe) look fantastic, better than each of their rivals and all three cars share an common yet unmistakable look.

£72k is an awful lot of money for a base model anything, but there's not much 'base model' about a Range Rover Vogue, and if consumer's confidence in reliability is raised I expect the new RR will be more successful than the outgoing model.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Why anyone with children or one eye on our planets future would even consider this type of vehicle I really do not know.
    ROFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Because only wimps and Communists would be capable of even considering the possibility of a world without abundant and cheap fossil fuels. Don't let those damn geologists tell you any different.

Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

While I adore the G-Klasse, I'm not sure I have enough capes and utility belts in my wardrobe to make the matte-black look work for me.
    Think of it as an opportunity to update your wardrobe...

Plenty of space for the shopping bags too!

I never really understand why people don't just get a Transit and be done with it!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Blog Entries
    J D Power tells you all about RR build quality (in particular the electrics)

Porsche Cayenne or new BMW X5 ANY day ! - the best handling & reliable SUVs every time !

Banned
    Basically it's just a flash handbag with a wheel at each corner that tarts drive.

Cool

Good to read so many "opinions" here based on prejudice and no experience of the car in question....

The Range Rover is quite simply one of THE very ways to drive around at the moment. It is a superbly well made and engineered car that is easily the class of the field. LR (read Tata) have invested huge amounts to make sure this car is right from the off and in my own experience (in driving 2-3 examples and having sourced 5 so far for clients via my business) they have succeeded in every respect.

For what you actually get in return this is a "cheap" car....relative to some rubbish you can buy for the same amount or more.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    J D Power tells you all about RR build quality (in particular the electrics)

Porsche Cayenne or new BMW X5 ANY day ! - the best handling & reliable SUVs every time !
    It'll be interesting to see how the 4th Gen one does in a few years.
    If I remember correctly, one of the problems quoted with the 3rd Gen RR was that it was designed by BMW with 7-series parts, then then sold LR to Ford who during their ownership made various changes and add-ons to the electrics before flogging the company it to Tata who were left with a ridiculously complex electronics system with parts lifted from various companies and models it was never going to be reliable.
    Hopefully the new one is designed more as a whole so could prove to be a lot better.

As I alluded to above, if you spec a Cayenne Diesel to the same level as an entry level FFRR, it'll cost practically the same. The Cayenne will still be more fun to drive, but I'd wager the RR will be a more luxurious place to be. Horses for courses.

Very nice in my opinion if a. You have the money and b. need a proper all terrain vehicle. Bit of a waste to simply drive on the roads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Good to read so many "opinions" here based on prejudice and no experience of the car in question....

The Range Rover is quite simply one of THE very ways to drive around at the moment. It is a superbly well made and engineered car that is easily the class of the field. LR (read Tata) have invested huge amounts to make sure this car is right from the off and in my own experience (in driving 2-3 examples and having sourced 5 so far for clients via my business) they have succeeded in every respect.

For what you actually get in return this is a "cheap" car....relative to some rubbish you can buy for the same amount or more.
    RR have a longer driver seat track so small tarts can reach the peddles.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmillard View Post
    Very nice in my opinion if a. You have the money and b. need a proper all terrain vehicle. Bit of a waste to simply drive on the roads.
    Not on the tyres fitted from new, a small grass verge or a large curb to climb possibly.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    RR have a longer driver seat track so small tarts can reach the peddles.

You really need to get out more....

New Range Rover

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post

Completely agree with this. I've had a few Full Fat Ranges over the years, and I've just traded the wife's Sport in for a new shape one, ex demo at a nice price.😄Never had an issue with them in my years, might be luck, but this new one is in a different league to my old ones. I'm now number one hubby for a while.😃

Everything feels quality and the drive is superb. If anyone is thinking of one, or something similar, grab a test drive of the Rangey, sure you won't be disappointed.

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by mattmillard View Post

To be fair it (the new FFRR) is magnificent on the roads.....

My uncle just chopped his 05 FFRR, owned since new, in for a Q7. He thought the new one was far too much money and couldn't justify the price. Likes the Q7 but says it's just not the same

Master
    You buy a RRFF for what .....not for excellent fuel economy...not because you expect to be able to run it on a shoe string....and certainly not for the benefit of anyone else!

Best experience you can have on four wheels in any weather and any environment in my opinion.

Too many folk quote the bad experiences even though they have not and most likely will not ever own one. If its absolute class you are looking for then dig as deep as you can and go for it.

New Range Rover

Having watched it on top gear i would buy one ahead of an S class or seven series. It has the luxury to match almost anything with the off road ability to better almost anything.

Unfortunately they are way out of my price range!

Ok, to qualify my perspective....

I researched the luxury 4x4 market for about 4 months at the back end of last year with a view to buying one. I had no real prejudice except it was not going to be Japanese. I visited AD's and asked millions of Q's and drove the RR, X5, Q5, Q7, X6, Lexus, and did try a Land Cruiser. Bewildering specifications across this lot. The internet can be less than useless if you try and search - for every 'yes' there are equal 'no's' which drifts each way depending where you look.

I chatted with mates who had bought and run similar vehicles - there is nothing better than a friend with some experience. This was most interesting to say the least. At the end of this process I made my decision.

There is a massive difference when you are spunking your own money on a big price tag car as opposed to a lease where you hand it back or one that is a company car. This puts you in a very, very different position IMO.

Bottom line is I could not, and would not risk the thick end of £40k on a RR - I'll leave that for those who have more confidence than me.

As for them being the best fun on four wheels - I beg to differ......................

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Ok, to qualify my perspective....

I researched the luxury 4x4 market for about 4 months at the back end of last year with a view to buying one. I had no real prejudice except it was not going to be Japanese. I visited AD's and asked millions of Q's and drove the RR, X5, Q5, Q7, X6, Lexus, and did try a Land Cruiser. Bewildering specifications across this lot. The internet can be less than useless if you try and search - for every 'yes' there are equal 'no's' which drifts each way depending where you look.

I chatted with mates who had bought and run similar vehicles - there is nothing better than a friend with some experience. This was most interesting to say the least. At the end of this process I made my decision.

There is a massive difference when you are spunking your own money on a big price tag car as opposed to a lease where you hand it back or one that is a company car. This puts you in a very, very different position IMO.

Bottom line is I could not, and would not risk the thick end of £40k on a RR - I'll leave that for those who have more confidence than me.

As for them being the best fun on four wheels - I beg to differ......................
    We are all welcome to an opinion Chris so no concerns there .....but having owned (with my own cash) many very very nice vehicles but no "super cars" ...mine stands as stated.

Cheers

Steve

Be interesting to revisit this topic in, oh, three years...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    We are all welcome to an opinion Chris so no concerns there .....but having owned (with my own cash) many very very nice vehicles but no "super cars" ...mine stands as stated.

Cheers

Steve
    Indeed mate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Be interesting to revisit this topic in, oh, three years...
    Aye.........

Think it's looks really nice, the smaller disel engine is not a smart choice I have been told a little under powered and will not be that desirable 2nd hand so you will be looking at £100k for a decent one. Think I would wait two years and get one for half that maybe less with 20k on the clock.

Best 4x4 Lamborghini LM002 it's mad and the nuts and their new one looks interesting too, his market space is going to get busy in the next few years

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Serious Q - would you spend £98k of your own money on one (not via the firm).?
    No but I would buy one second hand. I personally couldn't buy a " brand new" car.