closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audio system advice required

Craftsman

Audio system advice required

Hi Gents,

I know there are a few audiophiles out there so I though I'd ask for some advice. It's been a long time since I had a decent dedicated audio system due to moving around a lot, last week I picked up my HHB circle 5 passive monitors that have been inb storage for about 8 years. Alongside my all in one Onkyo system the Onkyo is clearly a weak link.

It's been an eternity since I listened to any decent audio gear and I'd like some recommendations for an all in one system.

I only need a cd player, amp (maybe a tuner) and of course external inputs to hook up an mp3 player (3.5mm headphone jack and/or other connections?).
    Currently I've been looking for a used Linn Classik, though I have no idea if it will be any good with my monitors or whether there are any decent alternatives.

Recommendations would be appreciated!

The Arcam Solo Mini would be on my short list. Great sound quality for about £599.

Rod

Master
    Tried the Arcam solo mini then replaced it with a Naim Unitiqute with B+W CM8'S. absolutely gorgeous sound. No CD player though but just burn them all lossless onto a NAS.

Regards, Craig

Craftsman
    Thanks for the ideas!

Any ideas how these may compare to the Linn Classik ? I remember listening to one over ten years ago and I was very impressed at the time

Don't expect much difference, as competently-designed amplifiers and sources are indistinguishable in sound quality when operated within their limits. However, if the Onkyo lacks power and is struggling to drive the somewhat low-sensitivity monitors, you might notice an improvement with something that can push more current. Or you might not.

Master
    I can definitely tell the difference between "competently-designed amplifiers and sources " when they are "operated within their limits". I think you should take your speakers to a couple of Hi-Fi dealers and do some auditioning - it's the only way you will really know if you like something.

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Thanks for the ideas!

Any ideas how these may compare to the Linn Classik ? I remember listening to one over ten years ago and I was very impressed at the time
    The Linn Classic is more unconventional in it's setting up and operation, and the remote is more fiddly. Sound is ok but I'd rather have the Solo Mini for it's very natural sound delivery and top spec. DAB radio. I don't know your speakers so I wouldn't know what the combo is like.Try and find a dealer where you can take your speakers and listen.

Rod

Craftsman
    Thanks again for your advice

Rod, can you expand a little on the fiddly nature of the Linn? I'd be picking up a used one of those so a demo won't be the easiest thing to arrange prior to purchase I fear. I know sound quality is a very subjective thing - I never really enjoyed the Arcam sound of circa 10 years ago (think Arcam alpha 9), i found it too too warm/soft and a little lacking in detail. I have no idea whether I'm likely to get on with the solo mini as a result.
    As you say, trying it will be the only way I'll know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Rumpus View Post
    I can definitely tell the difference between "competently-designed amplifiers and sources " when they are "operated within their limits".
    I believe that you believe that you can hear a difference.

Whether that difference actually exists — as long as we're talking about mainstream solid-state designs, rather than patently ridiculous ones like single-ended triodes — is a separate matter entirely.

Thanks again for your advice

Rod, can you expand a little on the fiddly nature of the Linn? I'd be picking up a used one of those so a demo won't be the easiest thing to arrange prior to purchase I fear. I know sound quality is a very subjective thing - I never really enjoyed the Arcam sound of circa 10 years ago (think Arcam alpha 9), i found it too too warm/soft and a little lacking in detail. I have no idea whether I'm likely to get on with the solo mini as a result.
    As you say, trying it will be the only way I'll know.
    Probably more the sequencing of pressing buttons to operate it, especially on the remote. Once you've got used to it it's fine. The Solo Mini sound is much better than Arcam of old.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Arcam-...e-Audio_review

Rod

Marantz M-CR603?

Craftsman
    Forgive my ignorance here but would those two (the Linn and Arcam), potentially be suitable for my monitors?

The suggestion is for an amp rated between 50 to 200 watts, though I'm clearly not getting anywhere near the limit with respect to volume with these

Important bits from the HHB circle 5 passive spec (taken from http://www.hhb.co.uk/files/brochures/CIRCLE5UG.pdf)

Circle 5 Passive

Frequency Response . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 48Hz - 20kHz, +/- 3dB free space with very smooth off axis response.
    Sensitivity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 87 dB 1W/1m.
    Suggested Amplifier Power . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 50 - 200W.
    Impedance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 Ohms nominal.
    Power Handling (programme) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 120W.
    Crossover . . . . . . . . . . . Pro-grade components on double-sided fibreglass PCB, critically damped, 2.6kHz crossover.

Either should be fine as long as your not playing them to 'party levels' The 87db sensitivity means they aren't a difficult load to drive and they are ported so that helps. Don't get bogged down with power ratings, to double the power of 10 watts per channel, you need a hundred watts per channel - it's a logarithmic change and has no bearing on volume hardly.

Rod
    Last edited by Rod; 26th March 2013 at 21:28.

Apprentice
    Another vote for Arcam or Naim. Only an audition will tell you which you prefer. Usual story. Take a few of your favourite CDs and give them a whirl in a blind test if possible. I try not to analyse too much, and just decide which sounds better to me. We've all got different tastes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

Whether that difference actually exists — as long as we're talking about mainstream solid-state designs, rather than patently ridiculous ones like single-ended triodes — is a separate matter entirely.
    I suggest that you pop round to a Hi-Fi dealer and listen to, say, a Naim amplifier compared to an Arcam one, both solid state, both competent designs - the difference in presentation is not subtle. I'd be 100% certain that I could pick each one out in double-blind listening tests.

Craftsman
    A more general question regarding hifi gear these days, has the basics for good quality audio systems moved on significantly since the Linn classik? I keep citing that as it's the last decent audio system I took the time out to listen to. Are there any other significant features that these newer players have?

As you can tell I haven't kept up to date with audio systems of the last ten years and it sounds like those few systems are those that have begun to embrace the (later) digital formats. Can anybody point me toward a good guide/resource to get an understanding of the features those newer players offer?

ive just upgraded my system from an old cyrus 3i amp (which is still regarded half decent ) to a rega brio -r amp playing flac files thru a squezebox>bereford bushmaster DAC , the difference between the old and new amp sound quality wise is like night and day to me , it was a toss up between the rega or a used naim 5i and the rega came at the right price.

the av forums are probably the best source of info >

http://www.avforums.com/forums/

A more general question regarding hifi gear these days, has the basics for good quality audio systems moved on significantly since the Linn classik? I keep citing that as it's the last decent audio system I took the time out to listen to. Are there any other significant features that these newer players have?

As you can tell I haven't kept up to date with audio systems of the last ten years and it sounds like those few systems are those that have begun to embrace the (later) digital formats. Can anybody point me toward a good guide/resource to get an understanding of the features those newer players offer?
    A few years ago I installed about 30 Linn Classics in a guys stately home as it was one of the better integrated systems out there so I have a lot of experience with them. Things haven't moved on much in terms of sound quality but have moved on to gel with new technology such as internet radio, wifi, Apple integration etc.
    I have been involved with HiFi since the late 70's up to the present date, and for a fact I have yet to hear a combination system as good as a Solo. The best resource are your own ears TBH along with a good independent hifi dealer who may let you borrow some kit or is prepared to come to your home, which is better. Your room acoustics will have some bearing on the sound too.

Rod

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Marantz M-CR603?
    Above is a good option. I had an Arcam Solo and changed to one of these ( no particular reason apart from my kids playing around with the Arcam and I thought its a bit expensive to have close to small fingers!) and the Marantz is a great alternative

Cheers

John

Craftsman
    Thanks for all the advice gents! I'm going to do a little digging on the avforum and have a chat with a local retailer to see what they have available.
    I'm not sure how much of that additional functionality offered by these newer systems I would use to be honest.

Journeyman
    One affordable option could be Cambridge Audio One+, the CD player and DAB Receiver. Only one small box and should be decent sound altought it has only 25 watts for 8 ohms. BUT still I would recommend to go with separate gear so that you would need to buy cd-player, amp and maybe that tuner too separately. Ofcourse they need more space and would cost more but they are usually better quality and better sounding pieces than one box solutions. But if you want to go Linn or Arcam way they are good quality products and their one box solutions are rather good too.

If you are willing to pay little bit more you could check out what Creek Audio has to offer. Their Evolution 2 series have crisp, slightly bright sound which sounds very rhythmic and forward going. I had myself the old Evolution 1 series amp and cd-player and they rocked hard but then I upgraded to the bigger Creek Evolution 5350 amp and needed even brighter sound so I bought a Yamaha CD-S2000 player and I had a combination made nearly in heaven, just the right sound with my little dark sounding speakers. Creek have now an new entry level amp Evolution 50A on the markets and it even has a tuner in it, so that amp and Evolution 2 cd-player could be killer combination if you like a little bit brighter sound.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

You should check out your preferences, we are not living in 1980s anymore when people BELIEVED that there is no differencies between different audio gear except speakers. There are hundreds of different audio manufacturers and they use different parts in their gear and you still BELIEVE that they all sound the same? I have to disagree with you massively. And I have owned nine different solid state amps... and tested and listened many more at my home with other gear like speakers, DACs, cd-players, cables...

Craftsman
    Well I finally got to demo an Arcam solo mini and the Solo neo with my HHB circle 5 monitors in a listening room. I was quite impressed with the sound as it gives a fair bit more detail than my current system.
    I do have one gripe though.... the main 'modern' bit of functionality I desire is the ability to play my portable music player (mp3/flac etc) through my audio system with a decent quality sound.

According to my hifi store, the Arcam kit won't do that without a DAC which is not a route I want to go down as it defeats the purpose of a one box solution.

If I go back to the Linn Classik, it lists the two digital inputs (RCA & optical) - can anyone tell me if these are suited to decoding the digital output from an mp3/flac/aac player?
    Specs.....
    Linn classik music lists digital inputs as :
    1 x coaxial RCA, 1 x optical TOSLINK

Can any of you learned folk help me out here? I'm flicking through the pages of Whathifi and this specific issue doesn't seem to be covered - unless I'm completely missing the point? There's lots about streaming and internet radio but i miss what appears to be a fairly simple feature (at least to me).

Are we talking about the same Linn Classik? I've just looked at the back of mine and I can't see any digital inputs - analogue all the way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigster View Post
    Are we talking about the same Linn Classik? I've just looked at the back of mine and I can't see any digital inputs - analogue all the way.
    http://www.cleverhome.com.au/user/Li...ser-Manual.pdf

This manual seems to suggest there are two optical inputs, it's dated 2008 so maybe yours in an earlier revision? or I guess it could have been an option?

According to my hifi store, the Arcam kit won't do that without a DAC which is not a route I want to go down as it defeats the purpose of a one box solution.
    What player have you to do this? I dem ours regularly with customers phones and MP3 players using the front socket input.You don't need a DAC for this.There is also a USB input too.

Rod

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    What player have you to do this? I dem ours regularly with customers phones and MP3 players using the front socket input.You don't need a DAC for this.There is also a USB input too.

Rod

Currently I have a Sansa Clip Plus (am happy to upgrade to something with an optical out if needed).

I'm just repeating what the guy in the store told me with respect to the Arcam solo mini & neo, from what you describe it should just be able to browse through my Sansa/phone/HDD as if its a hard disk.
    Just to add, are we talking about the 3.5mm in, USB in, or other IN on the front panel?

I'm getting you a virtual beer for all the advice by the way!

Currently I have a Sansa Clip Plus (am happy to upgrade to something with an optical out if needed).

I'm just repeating what the guy in the store told me with respect to the Arcam solo mini & neo, from what you describe it should just be able to browse through my Sansa/phone/HDD as if its a hard disk.
    Just to add, are we talking about the 3.5mm in, USB in, or other IN on the front panel?

I'm getting you a virtual beer for all the advice by the way!
    If your device has an output, example, headphone out, or line out, usually 3.5 mm, then it plugs into the front input on the Solo. You can also use the USB input if music is stored on one.
    Mines a pint of Black Sheep!

Rod

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    If your device has an output, example, headphone out, or line out, usually 3.5 mm, then it plugs into the front input on the Solo. You can also use the USB input if music is stored on one.
    Mines a pint of Black Sheep!

Rod
    I assumed that the 3.5mm connection method (I use 3.5mm to phono currently with my Onkyo) would be a relatively lo-fi solution and not really giving decent sound quality (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For the USB input, can it read a HDD/mp3 player filesystem and then just play the 'data' files over that connection?
    I guess what I want to achieve is that the (expensive) bit of hi-fi kit does the decoding (assuming it has a much better DAC stage) and passes the audio signal inside the unit to the amp. I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking the mp3/flac/aac player will pass the data on via optical/RCA/USB to the hifi kit.

I hope this is not too unclear!!

I think I may need the black sheep to decipher my own requirements here...

More money, I know, but can't you use the Arcam iPod dock with the Solo? Assuming you're prepared to move to Apple...
    That way, the output is taken before the ipod's headphone amp and you're letting the Solo do the work of amplifying (what should be) a cleaner signal.

I assumed that the 3.5mm connection method (I use 3.5mm to phono currently with my Onkyo) would be a relatively lo-fi solution and not really giving decent sound quality (please correct me if I'm wrong).

For the USB input, can it read a HDD/mp3 player filesystem and then just play the 'data' files over that connection?
    I guess what I want to achieve is that the (expensive) bit of hi-fi kit does the decoding (assuming it has a much better DAC stage) and passes the audio signal inside the unit to the amp. I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking the mp3/flac/aac player will pass the data on via optical/RCA/USB to the hifi kit.

I hope this is not too unclear!!

I think I may need the black sheep to decipher my own requirements here...
    My (and everybody else's) Marantz M-CR 603 has a USB input which reads hard drives/usb sticks/ipods and mp3 players.....it reads my iRiver HP120 as a hard drive and so does the decoding for all of those.....I assume it does the same for an ipod...ie it extracts the data rather than an audio signal. It also has a 3.5mm input if you just want to amplify the signal from things that don't connect either by usb or optical/RCA.

Craftsman
    My (and everybody else's) Marantz M-CR 603 has a USB input which reads hard drives/usb sticks/ipods and mp3 players.....it reads my iRiver HP120 as a hard drive and so does the decoding for all of those.....I assume it does the same for an ipod...ie it extracts the data rather than an audio signal. It also has a 3.5mm input if you just want to amplify the signal from things that don't connect either by usb or optical/RCA.
    In that case can your player *(Marantz in this case), play anything you throw at via the data connection? ==> what I'm trying to figure out is whether the hifi kit 'only' supports specific formats &/or bitrates - I guess by virtue of a codec or decoder that's in the hifi SW.
    Apologies if this is off track, I'm assuming there is something on the hifi for filesystem support (to read the external device) and then another stage that does to digi to analogue bit (with a given spec of decoder).

In that case can your player *(Marantz in this case), play anything you throw at via the data connection? ==> what I'm trying to figure out is whether the hifi kit 'only' supports specific formats &/or bitrates - I guess by virtue of a codec or decoder that's in the hifi SW.
    Apologies if this is off track, I'm assuming there is something on the hifi for filesystem support (to read the external device) and then another stage that does to digi to analogue bit (with a given spec of decoder).

The Marantz will play, off a hdd/stick/ipod WMA (48-192), MP3 (32-320), WAV, AAC (16-320) and FLAC......AAC has to be unprotected which would indicate that it is doing the decoding, not the iPod.....that said, protected WMA can be played off certain, undefined, mp3 players. If you are using a CDR it will only play MP3 and WMA.

Yes there is filesystem support on the Marantz....and the one 'problem' with it is that it takes about 4 minutes to read the contents regardless of the capacity (unless you always have it in standby as opposed to switched off at the wall)....which it can do in the background if you are listening to a cd or radio
    Last edited by Rob; 15th May 2013 at 19:11.

Craftsman
    The Marantz will play, off a hdd/stick/ipod WMA (48-192), MP3 (32-320), WAV, AAC (16-320) and FLAC......AAC has to be unprotected which would indicate that it is doing the decoding, not the iPod.....that said, protected WMA can be played off certain, undefined, mp3 players. If you are using a CDR it will only play MP3 and WMA.

Yes there is filesystem support on the Marantz....and the one 'problem' with it is that it takes about 4 minutes to read the contents regardless of the capacity (unless you always have it in standby as opposed to switched off at the wall)....which it can do in the background if you are listening to a cd or radio
    Great ! Thanks for the info, enlightening to say the least.

It seems this info isn't easily available for 'all' players (or I'm not searching for the correct term).
    I'll try and lookup what support is offered on the Linn & Arcam. I have to admit I'm really confused as to whats available that fulfils my requirements

You need to see if the chosen potential manufacturer allows you to download the manual/user guide from their website so you can see exactly what it can do and what the limitations are for features you have specific interests in....I know Marantz and Denon have their manuals available as PDFs.

Craftsman
    thread update:

Well after several months of searching, reading and (trying) to inform myself of the Hifi landscape...... One of the initial responses may well have hit the nail on the head.....
    I'm now looking at the Naim Uniti or a UnitiQute - I just need to decide whether I need a cd player or not.

Can you offer any advice on the differences?

It looks as though an ex demo UnitiQute will set me back 750 gbp, likewise an ex demo Uniti would be around 1350 gbp

I have a new Ipod classic on the way which should get my digital input to the Naim...
    Any further advice on the setup would be appreciated!

I'm hoping I can demo the Naim kit somewhere locally in the Netherlands