closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Owner of Dogass slags the PRS-68 on WUS

Craftsman
    Sounds like a great example of 'Over promise and under deliver'.
    For me unless there was something very specific about Jakes version that you like or must have then I'd be putting a order in with Eddie for the PRS68.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    The case issue has to do with Jake's insistence that fat Seiko spring bars be used on the watch. The manufacturer of the current case has told Jake that this is not possible with a SEL bracelet and gave him two choices: use smaller diameter spring bars and have the SEL bracelet or offer the watch with fat spring bars on rubber only. Evidently after thinking about this for the past month or two (Jake first announced this issue in May or June?), Jake has decided to take his business elsewhere. Presumably the new manufacturer will be able to deliver a case and bracelet that will accept fat spring bars. Regarding using the same case as the PRS-68, this will be impossible as the movements are different - Jake's use of the Seiko movement (SIII version of the 6R15 as found in the Sumo) precludes having both the date and the crown at 4 o'clock because of the physics of the watch case, symmetry and the movement itself. Finally, this step is being taken, as far as I can see, to ensure that the promised product is delivered (that is, with the bracelet) rather than representing a bait and switch.
    Technically I cannot get the issue with sel and fat bars as the strap seems to be right positionned between the lugs...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bricem13 View Post
    Technically I cannot get the issue with sel and fat bars as the strap seems to be right positionned between the lugs...
    Jake B posted this on WUS a day ago:-

URL: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/off...ml#post6695303
    Not too much to see or say...You've already seen and heard it all. It's simply that the cases were already made and could not be adapted to fit the end links for the bracelets. Simply put, I was screwed by my manufacturer...live and learn. But, that's not anyone's fault but my own, and I wasn't about to go back on my word....So, Im going to get extra movements from SII, put NH movements in the existing cases and sell them on straps at a much lower price, more along the lines of a customised SKX.. and start over to redesign for another case made by another manufacturer, with SEL/ bracelet and NE15 movement as originally promised/intended for the Typhoon. That's it, that's all. I had issues with my manufacturer, and I'm sucking it up and dealing with it myself. It's not the cheap or easy way to go, but so be it. A watch is just a watch....but a man's word is his word.
    Presumably, from this, the case manufacturer could make the cases but either could not make SELs to fit them or did not make the case to fit pre-existing SELs from some other manufacturer. Whoops.

WAW

Jim

I have been following this Jake B fiasco with interest, as it amuses me slightly. What a schamozzle of a do, i feel sorry for him, but more so the folks that have paid their deposits. This is what happens when you kick off a project only half cocked.

A testament to Eddie's aproach in my book.

Journeyman
    Let the watches speak !

Quote Originally Posted by clicker View Post
    Let the watches speak !
    Bottom line and end of story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clicker View Post
    Let the watches speak !
    I can only hear one of them....

Journeyman
    My understanding of the case/bracelet issue on the Typhoon (Dagaz 6105 homage) was, I thought, articulated clearly in one of my previous posts? However, the issue seems to be that the original case manufacturer is unable or unwilling to build the case/bracelet to accept Seiko spec'd "fat" springbars, which are 2.5mm in diameter and have 1mm end tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    My understanding of the case/bracelet issue on the Typhoon (Dagaz 6105 homage) was, I thought, articulated clearly in one of my previous posts? However, the issue seems to be that the original case manufacturer is unable or unwilling to build the case/bracelet to accept Seiko spec'd "fat" springbars, which are 2.5mm in diameter and have 1mm end tips.
    It was clear to me ;-). The 6105 could just about take the 2.5mm springbars with folded end links but not with solid end links. If you want the 2.5mm bars with SELs, it's likely you will have to make the lugs longer. I don't see the need for the fatter bars with SELs, the SEL will prevent the thinner bars from bending.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Ha! Thank you Eddie - you managed to sum up what I was trying to say in a sentence! That's exactly what I was trying to say and very clear, too.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    I can only hear one of them....
    LOLOLOLOL

Fat or thin springbars...seems like a whole lot of trouble over a trivial detail.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think this issue and some previous issues - such as the Dreadnought and Eddie's straps - can be understood with one simplifying assumption.

From what I have seen, the overwhelming majority of these 'New Microbrands' is primarily out to make money and are run accordingly.
    I don't think that is the case with Eddie. I think Eddie takes a very old fashioned pride in his watches and simply wants to make the best watches that he realistically can. He's not trying to make a living or pay his mortgage, I rather strongly suspect he's already done that, he's just got a rather large hobby, producing watches that make him proud as part of a company run to his taste with his ethical stance and without compromise. He's not trying to grow the company, because lord knows, he's had the opportunity and never shown any sign of trying to, he's just strolling along doing what he wants in the way he wants to just for the hell of it. Crucially, I'll bet a penny to a pound that Timefactors has never once been in the red.

So when someone with an overdraft to feed, less experience, contacts, skill, sense and reputation tries to emulate Eddie and make a living out of it, they must find the fact he produces the watches that he does at the price that he does impossible to understand. It must be enormously frustrating to hold one of Eddie's astonishingly well made watches next to a watch you have developed that is one step up from a Chinese fake. It must be even worse to hold it next to something which may compete on quality, but that you can't possibly sell for less that double the price of Eddie's to break even.

Is it any surprise then, that as the problems and debts mount, that the owner of a struggling microbrand might feel a sense of frustration with Timefactors and a sense that Eddie must somehow be cheating. Obviously, the most obvious way of cheating is having a watch made lock stock and barrel in China. This, I think, is the source of all these slightly odd attacks.

However, there is a much simpler explanation. Eddie's business model, like Eddie, is the sort of thing that made UK manufacture the envy of the world back when Eddie was learning his trade. From every experience of the chap I have had, he cares infinitely more about getting it right than he does about profit. He's not trying to make money, if he does, I'm sure that is a bonus, but I feel certain that he'd rather be proud of a run of watches than a little better off. The same goes for his straps: I'd challenge anyone to buy a strap as good as one of Eddie's screw on aviator straps for double the price. I simply don't think it can be done.

Personally, one of the reasons that I have half a dozen of Eddie's watches and every intention of getting more is that, quite apart from the excellence, these are watches that reek of pride in the achievement and I really like the way that feels on my wrist.
    Last edited by M4tt; 1st September 2013 at 12:09.

^^^^^^
    can't find any fault with that, M4tt

You're entirely correct. There is a big difference between starting a business with the goal of supporting yourself and growing the company and running the company as a hobby. You don't need much profit, if any for a hobby.
    Most people's hobbies are pure money losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
    You're entirely correct. There is a big difference between starting a business with the goal of supporting yourself and growing the company and running the company as a hobby. You don't need much profit, if any for a hobby.
    Most people's hobbies are pure money losers.
    Well I still have bills to pay but money isn't the motivator. I could have accepted offers for the "Smiths" trademark and also the forum if it was all about money.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    ^^^^ M4tt, I think you make an amazingly eloquent and effective advocacy for and defence of Eddie and Timefactors, even given that our host's character and conduct of his business, as well as the quality and value reflected in his products, lend easily toward your doing so.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the way Eddie does business and I like the way he runs his forum. I don't agree with him about politics, but he's a man it's easy to respect. I especially like his watches, and I try to support the things I like.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Personally, one of the reasons that I have half a dozen of Eddie's watches and every intention of getting more is that, quite apart from the excellence, these are watches that reek of pride in the achievement and I really like the way that feels on my wrist.
    Thanks for that post.

I genuinely didn't know why I kept reaching for my PRS-3 (and now PRS-25) when I have more expensive and 'desirable' watches I could be wearing instead But the feeling I get when I put on one of Eddie's watches I can't but feel the same pride when it's on the wrist.

This is the reason I'm 'into' watches, this 'personal' connection.

Thanks Matt.

Tris

Spot on post by M4tt, sums up my thoughts about Eddies business model and the chasing wannabes far better than I could.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It was clear to me ;-). The 6105 could just about take the 2.5mm springbars with folded end links but not with solid end links. If you want the 2.5mm bars with SELs, it's likely you will have to make the lugs longer. I don't see the need for the fatter bars with SELs, the SEL will prevent the thinner bars from bending.

Eddie
    Exactly. This is why the aftermarket SELs made for the Seiko 7S26-0020 (SKX007 and similar) that use the "fat" Seiko spring bars protrude past the lugs.

I, too, don't see the need for the "fat" bars, particularly with SELs.

Best wishes,
    Myles

I'd have thought it would have been a lot simpler for Jake to produce a standard sized springbar at 1.8mm with ends of 1.1mm (to fit a 1.2mm fat bar case hole) than to remanufacture a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I'd have thought it would have been a lot simpler for Jake to produce a standard sized springbar at 1.8mm with ends of 1.1mm (to fit a 1.2mm fat bar case hole) than to remanufacture a case.
    Some people don't see the obvious and simple solution.

Eddie

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Some people don't see the obvious and simple solution.

Eddie
    Or are using what seems like a reasonable explanation to cover up a deeper issue...

This shows the difficulty fitting a bracelet and probably a lot of straps.

Eddie

?
    Bezel looks too fat. Could take a couple of mm off right there, which would give more him room for springbars.
    Also, poor choice of font size for the lettering, so he's forced into a lower case m and no space before "RESIST"
    And whats going on with the crown guard?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats View Post
    ?
    Bezel looks too fat. Could take a couple of mm off right there, which would give more him room for springbars.
    Also, poor choice of font size for the lettering, so he's forced into a lower case m and no space before "RESIST"
    And whats going on with the crown guard?
    The lower case "m" is correct -- that is the internationally recognized symbol for meter/metre. "Resist" is just bad design.

The design's not very good, granted. The original looks much better.

Quote Originally Posted by alljay View Post
    The lower case "m" is correct -- that is the internationally recognized symbol for meter/metre. "Resist" is just bad design.
    I understand that bit- I have an engineering background. Fuller is trying to directly replicate the original 6105 dial which has WATER 150M RESIST, all capitalised, but with a less clumsy layout:

(stolen pic)

Edit, beaten by Cannop

Master
    I've always had one problem with Eddie's business practice - his continued insistence on releasing the models I covet on a schedule inverse to my income - prs-82 out in September - bonus in October.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    I've always had one problem with Eddie's business practice - his continued insistence on releasing the models I covet on a schedule inverse to my income - prs-82 out in September - bonus in October.
    Or the 'feast or famine' approach a.k.a. buses: nothing for ages then along come three... ;-)

E
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    You could always apply for credit with him - course, as you have no collateral he'll have to break your legs up front...

That pic of Eddie's, if it is the pukka finished 10watch/Dagaz product, looks horrid - even leaving out the dial wording, the bezel, lugs and crown guards look...wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    when I put on one of Eddie's watches I can't but feel the same pride when it's on the wrist
    Aiiiii... wristpride innit .
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    You could always apply for credit with him - course, as you have no collateral he'll have to break your legs up front...

That pic of Eddie's, if it is the pukka finished 10watch/Dagaz product, looks horrid - even leaving out the dial wording, the bezel, lugs and crown guards look...wrong.
    Steroids ?

Stop jokking but let's wait for customer pictures, I believe here a kind of panoramic lens was used which may impairs the proportion but sure the original design/prpotions are not respected.

This dial is the classic one. Not my taste but surely some guys will like it.

Eddie
    Right, I'm going to say it. That looks like a right piece of shit.

^^^^^Hmmm too unlike a the 6105 to be an homage and not a nice enough design for an original. To my eyes it sits in a bad place between two alternatives and suffers because of it. The bezel insert seems strange too - it's either too deep or the numerals are too small or possibly both.

It may of course be nicer in the metal but I wouldn't venture £500 on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim: View Post
    I agree with the hippy

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Aiiiii... wristpride innit .
    Is that like gay pride for onanists?

As for the dial, I'd have gone to any length not to have it read as mresist; it's that sort of minor fuck up that would drive me nuts in days, it's right up there with misspelling something - once you have noticed it, it would be an unscratchable itch. .
    Last edited by M4tt; 2nd September 2013 at 23:29.

I agree with the hippy
    Thanks fatty

one seriously ugly MF

Dogass? Dog's dinner, more like.

It looks like one of those dodgy kit cars from the 70's. All the individual elements are there but when it's put together none of them seem to match .

It looks like one of those dodgy kit cars from the 70's. All the individual elements are there but when it's put together none of them seem to match .

And so on. I know some of them aren't 70's, I was just on a roll...

Master
    Looks to me like it was designed by someone only one day into using cad cam software.

How interesting to finally see the alternative homage piece. The clunky details make it totally different to the PRS68 and if I had been in line for the Dogarse piece, I think I might have bailed out to join the PRS68 club. There is something very wrong with the bezel width, the date position, the crown guard/crown relationship, the text styling, the different lume colour in the hands and markers, the tiny logo. If I hadn't been party to the debate here, I would have thought I was looking at the franken build of an amateur.

Is it just the camera angle or are the proportions of the crown/guard not quite right?
    Not a fan of the dial - not as well executed at the Smiths IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Is it just the camera angle?
    No.

:)

It would be good to see a side-by-side shot of both watches together.

In the BP.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    It would be good to see a side-by-side shot of both watches together.

In the BP.
    We need someone to buy one.

Eddie