closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Goodwood Revival 2013

Goodwood Revival 2013

Anyone going to the Revival this year?

It's an annual pilgrimage for my wife and me, and my father-in-law and his brother (and other assorted siblings and cousins). All of us are old car owners and among the many events we do this is the crown jewel (in my opinion, of course). This year we are entering my FIL's car into a race on Sunday. It's a 1956, special bodied, AC Ace Bristol which was raced in period in South America under the CADV (Venezuelan team from the 50's) banner, so we are going as a reenactment of the CADV team.

Anyhow, everyone loves photos, so here are photos of the Ace which will race, and of my Elan which will take us to the event.

Please post photos of your classics if you're taking them to Goodwood so I can hunt for them in the carpark!

I'll be there on the Friday, so I'll look out for the car - looks good, and anything with FIA papers making it eligible for Goodwood is worth proper money! Who's driving it?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

My FIL's friend, who helped rebuild the car, will race it. He's an accomplished historic racer and a much better driver than any of us.

That's a lovely car. Reminds me of an old 750 Monza. Have you driven it?

Not going to Revival this year but always interested to see pics and hear about it.

I haven't driven this one yet as it's still being prepared for the race. I've driven other Ace Bristols though and this one shouldn't be much different as it's largely standard aside from the body. It's a very vintage experience with the double declutching, steering you negotiate with rather than guide, brakes which need a lot of forward planning, etc. Massive fun though!

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Massive fun though!
    I can imagine it's quite an event every time it's driven. Wonderful.

Craftsman
    I will be there on Friday, left it too late to get a ticket for Saturday. Unfortunately no classic car.

Your Lotus is a year too late! The pre-66 parking is quite lax though, there are always new Morgans dotted around.

If all goes to plan and I get hold of tickets I'll be taking an XK120 on the Friday and Healey on the Sunday.

"A man of little significance"

Down for the whole weekend, but my cars will be tucked away in the garage at home whilst I'm in my gypsy wagon.

It's a fab event... can't believe how quickly the Saturday tickets sell out!

Good luck with your race.

MW

:-)

Foxy, it's been quite a few years since they changed the classic car park to all tax free cars (thankfully!).

I'm looking forward to seeing your Healey! I've loved it since I first saw you post a photo of it on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    Foxy, it's been quite a few years since they changed the classic car park to all tax free cars (thankfully!).

I'm looking forward to seeing your Healey! I've loved it since I first saw you post a photo of it on the forum.
    Ah, I've been to every Revival and for the last few years have been in the GRRC car park so am none the wiser! The GRRC parking is worth a wander round, some very nice cars in there too. You go out of the circuit at the last corner and cross the road into the car park, all the classics get put at the front.

That AC is a beauty; good luck in the races. And as for that Healey!! I wanted to buy a Healey 3000 for my father as a retirement gift some years ago as it was a car he'd loved in his younger days. However, as his garage was/is full of crap (and there wasn't a prayer of him clearing it) it was a non-starter.

Unfortunately, I don't own any vintage cars (that's a plan for my retirement) but as I have been for the last decade or so, I'll be there for the entire weekend. I spend a few hours in the car parks each year and always get an itchy cheque writing hand. I'm fortunate enough to be a GRRC member and a group of us go each year though this will be the last year as a blokes group as we feel it has become too busy. Next year I think it will be with my partner as, fortunately, she loves motor sport - her father was involved.

Both my wife and I love the Revival. I think it's one of those very rare things, a car event which women love just as much. My wife likes the cars, and especially the Elan, but she LOVES vintage fashion and hair, and the whole Best Dressed thing. She was a finalist last year, and has been planning her outfits since the last event.

Banned
    When is the GWR?, as in dates?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Your Lotus is a year too late! The pre-66 parking is quite lax though, there are always new Morgans dotted around.

[/B]
    Sod the Morgans!! There's seems to be a Vauxhall Chevette back there.

Front row about two thirds of the way along.

But yes, going on saturday in the Alfa and reeeeeeeaaaaallly looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    When is the GWR?, as in dates?
    13th to 15th Sept

I'll be there from Thursday afternoon through to Sunday

Went to the Festival of Speed this year for the first time and was absolutley blown away with how good it was. As soon as we got back i booked tickets for the revival. From what ive heard the FOS is not a patch on the Revival so really looking forward to an excellent event! Just need to sort out some suitable attire. Thinking Tweed 3 piece, any suggestions chaps??

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Sod the Morgans!! There's seems to be a Vauxhall Chevette back there.

Front row about two thirds of the way along.
    That's the GRRC parking, which is separate from the normal car park, they stick anything they feel interesting at the front!

Craftsman
    How much did you pay for a Saturday ticket? (On the black market they are sold at £160)

Really would like to go!

I always buy my tickets as soon as they are released as they sell out quickly these days.

The racing engine is being fitted to the Ace today. Sadly I am travelling to Singapore in the morning so I couldn't help.

My Elan has given me loads of issues the last month or so too. In the span of a week the distributor, fuel pump, one engine mount, alternator and the clutch all started to fail. Everything except for the clutch has been fixed, and that is being done while I'm away this week. After that I really need to have the car set up properly on a rolling road before Goodwood as it's currently tuned as a race car and difficult to drive unless you're flat out.