closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming Qysterquartz

Craftsman

Incoming Qysterquartz

I've been after one of these for a while but finding a good one proved hard. The majority for sale are worn and overpolished with their sharp and bevelled case edges long gone. For some some reason very few have box and papers. I tracked down a nice unpolished example and it arrived a couple of weeks ago. I was very happy to have one of the rarer modern Rolexs, something you don't see every day...

I was travelling on a bus last Saturday and for some reason a glint of steel and gold caught my eye from the person sitting across the aisle. I looked over and noticed the squarish shape of the watch. You can probably guess what's coming next, yes it was an Qysterquartz. Of course I couldn't resist commenting to my fellow passenger and we ended up comparing and discussing the watches. He had owned his for thirty five years and I had owned mine for two days.

PS I've just noticed that I spelt Oysterquartz wrong in the title of this thread. It's really annoying me but I can't change it!

Last edited by andymac66; 28th April 2014 at 12:56.

Blog Entries
    Lovely. Congratulations. :-)

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha
    Super!

I have a 1988 silver dial with bloc links

I have worn it for weeks now
    What year is yours?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley View Post
    Super!

I have a 1988 silver dial with bloc links

I have worn it for weeks now
    What year is yours?
    It's a 1987 watch, though it's been worn very sparingly. I was told it has only been worn around twelve times but I'm not sure I believe that!

I'm attracted to the 17000 as well, it looks a bit more sporty and has the Everest heritage. However the 17014 has the OQ jubilee bracelet which I prefer.

Master
    Very nice indeed,good catch.

Absolutely love these - smashing photos too :)

Journeyman
    The black dial adds a touch of sportiness to it and I like the rectangular links in the bracelet, they really suit the case. I believe OQ's with a fluted bezel are slightly less common than those with a smooth bezel. The design is very much of its time with the square-cut, angular case.

I was surprised to recently discover that these were still shown in Rolex's catalogues up to 2003 - I always thought they went out of production in the 80's.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bat View Post
    The black dial adds a touch of sportiness to it and I like the rectangular links in the bracelet, they really suit the case. I believe OQ's with a fluted bezel are slightly less common than those with a smooth bezel. The design is very much of its time with the square-cut, angular case.

I was surprised to recently discover that these were still shown in Rolex's catalogues up to 2003 - I always thought they went out of production in the 80's.
    Yes the black face gives it a sporty feel. I'm not a huge fan of the fluted bezel but it is an iconic Rolex feature. I think the watch would look great with a black face, smooth bezel and the OQ jubilee bracelet but they were never made that way.

There are plenty of fluted bezel bicolour OQs around, in fact they seem to be the majority of what's available, but they don't appeal to me. They look even worse than the SS versions after they've been dinged, scraped and polished to nothing.
    Last edited by andymac66; 7th October 2013 at 00:08.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Absolutely love these - smashing photos too :)
    Thanks a lot! I'm pretty pleased with the photos as well, especially the first few which were taken with a new macro lens. The photos in the car are just Q & Ds with a mobile phone. They're not as arty but they give a good idea what the watch looks like.

Great to see another Oysterquartz in Edinburgh!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zodiac View Post
    Great to see another Oysterquartz in Edinburgh!
    They seem to be quite popular here. I see you have one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    They seem to be quite popular here. I see you have one as well.
    Yep I went for 70's gold!

Craftsman
    Yep I went for 70's gold!
    Mahogany dial?

Quote Originally Posted by andymac66 View Post
    Mahogany dial?
    Yes that's the one! I have to bury it when I'm sleeping as the tick is too loud!

Craftsman
    Yes that's the one! I have to bury it when I'm sleeping as the tick is too loud!
    Not everyone's cup of tea. I have to admit the WG DD and even the YG version are quite nice with a white dial. I've been slightly tempted by those.

Yes, the tick is loud! I was also worried that it would keep me awake but since it's kept about two meters away from my bed, thankfully I don't notice it.

Craftsman
    Looks perfect on your wrist. Congrats!

Master
    That's great, I don't think I've ever see that style with a bracelet in that condition, well done and enjoy the watch.

Very sharp indeed, well done! Reminds me I need to wear my 17000 this week ;-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    Looks perfect on your wrist. Congrats!
    Thanks! I like the size. It felt a little small for the first hour or so but now it feels just perfect. I'm moving away from big heavy watches these days, I like a watch to feel comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    That's great, I don't think I've ever see that style with a bracelet in that condition, well done and enjoy the watch.
    Yes, there seems to be far fewer of the SS OQ jubilee bracelet watches around. There are plenty of TT jubilees and SS oyster bracelet versions of the watch but very few in good condition.