closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Sub date vs non-date, even now I'm not sure.

Rolex Sub date vs non-date, even now I'm not sure.

Like many others I pondered for a long time whether or not I wanted a date on my Sub. I decided not, because the non-date (14060m in my case) has the clean lines, classic appeal and hey, James Bond wore something similar.

But whilst I am a big fan of uncomplicated watches I sometimes look at the Sub and wish it did just a little bit more. I saw a chap with a date Sub in a coffee shop the other day and momentarily I was envious of the functionality of his watch. I realised that I would really quite like a date complication, but I don't want it on my current watch.

I obviously cannot own a date and non-date Sub, that would be silly, so is this a good enough reason to buy a GMT II?

Banned
    The wonderful SD fills the gap.

Craftsman
    Personally, I just don't like the cyclops.

So for me it would be the no-date sub, or, to have the date function with no cyclops, look for a SeaDweller!

Master
    Sea Dweller or Explorer II with a white dial.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKlaus View Post
    Sea Dweller or Explorer II with a white dial.
    The SD's a bit lumpier isn't it? The Explorer II is a consideration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Fatman View Post
    The SD's a bit lumpier isn't it? The Explorer II is a consideration.
    The SD is marginally taller than the sub, it's the DS that is larger all round.

Master
    TBH from 10 paces they all look the same - perhaps the reason why you like the look of whatever someone else is wearing - be it a date or non-date Sub or an SD. I've often done a double take to get identification right. I've even mistaken at first glance a GMTIIC for an SD, and I've had a WIS think I was wearing an SD when it was a 114060 (ceramic non-date), so let's get real any do the job, it's just we over analyse / indulge.

Been there myself many times - started with a GMT with black bezel, then a Sub ND, then a SD (or two!) and a Sub date - all owned at the same time, and then in the ceramic range a GMTII, Sub date, Sub non date and a Hulk all at the same time (whilst still having the original black GMT and a couple of SDs...) - now I ONLY HAVE ONE, the Hulk. Tempted to get another ceramic non-date, but frankly there is no need - at least 50% of the time the Hulk and even the non-date would look the same (honest, the Hulk often looks black).

So in summary - I can't really help, just acknowledge that it's a WIS disease....... LOL.

Journeyman
    The 14060 never got the SEL-bracelet.

Buy an old 14060 or a new 16610.

16610LV if you can.

Banned
    Go with the SD and you won't regret

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    The wonderful SD fills the gap.

^^^^^^^
    This, nice pic by the way.

Please nooooo!

- - - Updated - - -

Please nooooo!
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

For me it would always be the 16600 Sea-Dweller. But I do like the 14060's a lot - if I wanted a date and cyclops there is only one to fit the bill in the older models and that is the 16610LV with a black insert - I wear mine from time to time and it is the best Submariner I've ever had.

I like the idea of the Hulk though and once my mortgage is paid off, I am going to buy one.
    It's just a matter of time...

IMO it's hard to beat the Subc date LN as an all round, everyday, go with anything, fit for all watch. The anti-cyclops thing is OTT, and the new AR cyclops makes the date very legible. I appreciate the cleaner looks of the non date Sub, but habits of a lifetime mean I really need a date on a everyday wearer.

Grand Master
    The 14060 is the best looking Sub IMO, but it's let down by the bracelet. Why Rolex didn`t upgrade it to the same spec as the 16610 (SEL) I`ll never know. Worst thing about the 14060 bracelet is the way it doesn`t fit a small wrist well; getting the 6-side short enough is the problem. Difference between the two is the length of the link which joins the bracelet; it's shorter on the 16610 by approx 3mm and that makes all the difference in getting the watch to fit a small wrist properly. That's why my 14060 had to go, to be replaced by the more expensive and less appealing 16610 Sub date.

Paul

Craftsman
    Love my 114060 ND Ceramic - don't need the date complication and hate the Cyclops - job done.

Or an SD would do the job.

Trevor

Master
    It all depends if you require a date function.

If you do then it has to be a SD to avoid the cyclops unless you are over 50 and your eyes are going which mine are.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The 14060 is the best looking Sub IMO, but it's let down by the bracelet. Why Rolex didn`t upgrade it to the same spec as the 16610 (SEL) I`ll never know. Worst thing about the 14060 bracelet is the way it doesn`t fit a small wrist well; getting the 6-side short enough is the problem. Difference between the two is the length of the link which joins the bracelet; it's shorter on the 16610 by approx 3mm and that makes all the difference in getting the watch to fit a small wrist properly. That's why my 14060 had to go, to be replaced by the more expensive and less appealing 16610 Sub date.

Paul
    What is the SEL bracelet?

What is the SEL bracelet?
    SEL = Solid End Link (the link that connects to the case and contains the spring bar)

I believe all SS sport models after around 2000-2001 should have SEL, excpet the ND Sub which does not have up to now ??
    Last edited by clemenry; 17th December 2013 at 14:21.

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    SEL = Solid End Link (the link that connects to the case and contains the spring bar)

I believe all SS sport models after around 2000-2001 should have SEL, excpet the ND Sub which does not have up to now ??
    I think my 14060M has one. I stand to be corrected.

Grand Master
    I didn`t mind the end links, it was the size/length thing that put me off, and that's all down to the link which joins the clasp being different. Only an issue for a small wrist (6.75" for me). Just couldn`t get the 14060 to sit right, but the 11610 is fine.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I didn`t mind the end links, it was the size/length thing that put me off, and that's all down to the link which joins the clasp being different. Only an issue for a small wrist (6.75" for me). Just couldn`t get the 14060 to sit right, but the 11610 is fine.

Paul
    Agreed, mine (2006) was always just a bit too tight. SD on the other hand fits a dream.

I'm fairly sure the 14060M never got SELs but you can tell if yours has without removing the bracelet if you examine the underside of the end links: there are two little tabs that extend under the lugs for hollow end links. The SELs do not have these and just sit flush against the lugs.

Actually the thread must be named: "Submariner vs Submariner Date" (Sub non date doesn't exist)

Journeyman
    I wear my 14060 on a daily basis and let my Date go, it is just the better looking watch. But if you need a date and 16610 doesn't appeal to you then I suggest like others did the SD 16600. Very distinguished and the better Sub ;-)

is this a good enough reason to buy a GMT II?
    Absolutely yes!!! If u need a reason..;) Seriously, it is a good reason and u get two nice watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    I'm fairly sure the 14060M never got SELs but you can tell if yours has without removing the bracelet if you examine the underside of the end links: there are two little tabs that extend under the lugs for hollow end links. The SELs do not have these and just sit flush against the lugs.
    Then I don't have SELs. Do the SEL bracelets rattle less? It seems to me that the ratting is not from the end links, but the bracelet links further down. I don't like the rattle to be honest, but not much can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by xms67 View Post
    Absolutely yes!!! If u need a reason..;) Seriously, it is a good reason and u get two nice watches.

Thank you! It's only taken a page of replies, but at last someone has validated my purchase. It only takes one person in agreement, it's the law! The search will start in the new year.

I used to have a Sub, now have a Sub C Date

I like them both, I can't get my knickers in a twist about which is better as I really don't care, one has a date and Cyclops one doesn't. I like the clean lines of the Sub but I also think the Sub Date looks classic Rolex

If I could only have one I wouldn't care which, probably the date as most seem to go for the non date and I like to be different

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I used to have a Sub, now have a Sub C Date

I like them both, I can't get my knickers in a twist about which is better as I really don't care, one has a date and Cyclops one doesn't. I like the clean lines of the Sub but I also think the Sub Date looks classic Rolex

If I could only have one I wouldn't care which, probably the date as most seem to go for the non date and I like to be different
    Sadly any type of Sub doesn't render the wearer different. It appears to be the most common "nice" watch by a country mile. I am amazed at just how many of the things I see out and about.

Craftsman
    I bought a Sub ND for my son a couple of years ago, and from then on, having tried it myself, had to have a Sub date for myself. Missed a few but in the end Watchmad came up trumps and I've got the watch I wanted. A very nice 11610 from '99. To go back to the OP, I love the purity of the ND, but am surprised how often I refer to the date on my other watches, and would wear it less for that reason. So, I'd be very happy to have that as my only sports watch.

Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    I bought a Sub ND for my son a couple of years ago, and from then on, having tried it myself, had to have a Sub date for myself. Missed a few but in the end Watchmad came up trumps and I've got the watch I wanted. A very nice 11610 from '99. To go back to the OP, I love the purity of the ND, but am surprised how often I refer to the date on my other watches, and would wear it less for that reason. So, I'd be very happy to have that as my only sports watch.
    It's odd, I never looked at the date on my old watch (because it was too small to see), now I don't have a date I am always looking for one...

Proud owner of a 14060M here. Love that it's closer in style to the original and very much a traditional Rolex (basic, excellent timekeeping, rattling bracelet that is undoubtedly the most comfortable to wear bracelet I've ever experienced, etc.).

I do occasionally miss the date, but then I remember I own a cell phone that can give me the date and more. The watch is really for telling time at a glance and enjoying. And I have no doubt that I enjoy the Sub more than I would a Sub Date.

Banned
    I have both, in new and old guise.

The SubC with date is the most functional, having a date and the clasp offers guaranteed comfort.

The 5513 is sublime to look at, comfortable beyond belief, but I do miss the date.

Craftsman
    Have been pondering the same and in daily use think I would miss the date too much but do prefer the look of the regular sub. As others have said I am starting to think the SD might be the best choice.

Journeyman
    Also the most expensive choice ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Also the most expensive choice ;-)
    SD cheaper than a SubC, at least for now.
    It's just a matter of time...

I vote for both!!!!! But if it has to be one or the other, I'd go 114060 or 14060m

Master
    I have been lucky enough to have owned
    14060M
    16610LV

On the basis that I need the date and hate the cyclops, I keep going back to the SD 16600. The new ceramic models are fantastically well made and I am contemplating getting a 116610 and having a replacement crystal fitted without the cyclops. I did this done before with my LV. The only problem is, 'knowing' this is not how Rolex designed, it affects my OCD !

Quote Originally Posted by mwurliinkomeg View Post
    Love my 114060 ND Ceramic - don't need the date complication and hate the Cyclops - job done.

Or an SD would do the job.

Trevor
    Agreed - 114060 or SD if you miss the date.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean in Canuckistan View Post
    Proud owner of a 14060M here. Love that it's closer in style to the original and very much a traditional Rolex (basic, excellent timekeeping, rattling bracelet that is undoubtedly the most comfortable to wear bracelet I've ever experienced, etc.).

I do occasionally miss the date, but then I remember I own a cell phone that can give me the date and more. The watch is really for telling time at a glance and enjoying. And I have no doubt that I enjoy the Sub more than I would a Sub Date.
    Said it before and you may laugh , but check the date once off your phone, and remember it all day. Easier said than done!. But if you want to exercise the grey matter there was never a better brain exercise than owning a Submariner.

The problem I always had with this was changing my voicemail - I used to record a new greeting every morning starting with the date, which my phone was able to supply but not my sub. The challenge was that my phone was inevitably stuck to my ear when I needed to know the date. You'd think I would have learned to check the date beforehand.....

Master
    I have always preferred a date, and was on the verge of buying a SD a couple of weeks ago having lusted after one for months.
    At the same time, I tried on a SubC ND and was blown away by the sharpness of the watch as a whole and the bracelet compared with the SD. Also the symmetry which a lot of people talk about.
    4 days later I had a delivery to door of a mint SubC ND after putting a WTB on here - I am still surprised by how quickly I changed my mind away from the SD and my need for a date.

I originally went into the shop to buy the non date Sub, but after trying them both, left with the ceramic date model.

I do still like the symmetry of the non date when I see them.

I would try to find a GMT/Fat lady... a lot of Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Plus View Post
    The problem I always had with this was changing my voicemail - I used to record a new greeting every morning starting with the date, which my phone was able to supply but not my sub. The challenge was that my phone was inevitably stuck to my ear when I needed to know the date. You'd think I would have learned to check the date beforehand.....
    If the Sub stopped you recording a daily greeting that is about the biggest plus for not having a date on your watch.

The daily voicemail greeting is, in my experience, the mark of someone trying to appear on the ball when he or she is in fact useless and deeply corporate.

I cannot recall the last time I heard a daily voicemail greeting by anyone vaguely competent. I am aware that some organisations encourage daily voicemail greetings and again this is a pretty good indicator that the outfit is going to be steeped in perfunctory process and above all else a pain in the arse to deal with.

Then there's the diction that appears compulsory when recording a daily greeting. For a bloke this is a spoken style slightly faster than usual, with a slick tone and perhaps a hint of unctuousness. It is almost certain that he will listen back to the greeting and believe that he sounds important, serious, a go-getter and so "on it".

So, the demise of the daily voicemail greeting; Badger Plus thank you for answering the perennial question "date or no date" there is and probably always has been only one answer.

Does the SubC no date have the glide lock clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I have always preferred a date, and was on the verge of buying a SD a couple of weeks ago having lusted after one for months.
    At the same time, I tried on a SubC ND and was blown away by the sharpness of the watch as a whole and the bracelet compared with the SD. Also the symmetry which a lot of people talk about.
    4 days later I had a delivery to door of a mint SubC ND after putting a WTB on here - I am still surprised by how quickly I changed my mind away from the SD and my need for a date.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Yup it sure does!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Yes so really easy to get the bracelet to the perfect fit

Craftsman
    Sub non-date in any form for me. The cleaner looking non chronometer dial version is nice a precise.

Seadweller has a higher profile on the wrist and did not sit right on mine.

The cyclops takes from the look of this tool watch. But to be honest the closest these get to their original design purchase for most folk is the bath or swimming pool

Blog Entries
    As a few have said already...