closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UPDATE New car issues..... Thoughts please!!

Blog Entries
    They are fitted to all of them and it's an option to not have them when you order it, you can either delete the wings, or the wings and the boot. Most people tend to delete the wings as it looks rubbish!

Master
    Thanks for the info. I got mine with just 2k miles on the clock so I was unaware of the option. Very interesting cars though. I wish you all the best with yours.

Blog Entries
    No probs! Yeah they are epic! Really rather quick and I'm still running mine in! It's soooo quick through the gears and the speed it carries in between corners is immense. I've been lucky enough to own quite a lot of quick cars (TVRs Westfields etc) and am very impressed with the speed of this! Sounds great too!

I have the previous generation 130i, and love it, so I can only imagine what this one must be like with even more power. Sad about the dents, but it'll be sorted sooner or later, life's too short not to enjoy this lovely weather we've got at the moment. Vroom!

Blog Entries
    So it went back to BMW on Wednesday as the dent guy couldn't sort it... Looks like it will be having both front wings and doors sprayed... Less than ideal! Needless to say I will be checking it over with a fine tooth comb and getting it fully detailed ASAP to ensure it is up to scratch. I guess I need to check for overspray, check colour match etc?? Any ideas?

Banned
    Sorry, but completely unsatisfactory IMHO.

At worst I'd expect new panels from the factory (pre painted), but an after market repair, not a chance.

There's more expert opinions on here than I could ever give, but I can spot a painted panel at 100 yards. As a consumer, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't accept it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Sorry, but completely unsatisfactory IMHO.

At worst I'd expect new panels from the factory (pre painted), but an after market repair, not a chance.

There's more expert opinions on here than I could ever give, but I can spot a painted panel at 100 yards. As a consumer, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't accept it.
    My thought exactly.... Will see what happens when it comes back, if I'm not satisfied then I just won't accept it and I will keep the courtesy car until I'm happy.

Master
    Hi There

This isn't the best news in the world as you / the BMW dealer mentioned that the doors will be sprayed as well as the wings but what about the other panels that meet the wings which are -

• Bonnet
    • A-Pillar
    • Bumper

If I were you, I would be asking for a detailed breakdown as to how the repair will be undertaken and which panels will be sprayed to ensure a high quality of finish is achieved to ensure that the resprayed panels match those that they are next to and also to ensure that the finish matches the factory finish?

The white will be lacquered and with the best will in the world the repairer will no doubt (I hope) employ some very good re-sprayers and repairers however, even if they are able to blend the paint and 'lose' it as they get closer to the wing edges (towards the A-Pillar, bonnet and bumper) they then have to lacquer the entire wing in clear-coat.

Have a look at your car now in daylight and see if it is a silky smooth finish or whether it has a very slight dimple effect to it. Either way, the bodyshop will need to replicate that finish otherwise you will always be able to tell it has been repaired.

I really don't envy you and would ask the dealer to get the bodyshop manager to explain in both writing and verbally how they will achieve a factory finish and the process of ensuring it is to your satisfaction.

Regarding Burnseys point, unfortunately it isn't as straight forward as BMW supplying pre-painted panels (new wings) as they would need to be bonded and bolted to the car and there are generally very slight differences in the colour tint from one production run to the next. For instance, your particular car may have 4 or more different variants of the same colour, one may be slightly whiter, slightly redder, bluer, blacker, yellow etc etc. The number of variants may also vary from one paint producer to the next i.e. Glasurit paints, Sikkens, ICI & PPG to name but a few. They all have similar base tiniters but they will not have the exact same ratio of colours to arrive at the manufacturers colour code....... I'm getting in to the nitty gritty of it now.

Colour matching is a nightmare :-(

I know this doesn't help a great deal but you need to be aware of it and ask them these questions now, you're paying for an expensive car which they have messed up - they need to get it right (the repair).

Paul

p.s. My 6 month old Volvo XC60 bumpers are slightly different colours to the rest of the car to the extent that the front bumper is a slightly brighter red and the rear bumper has a slightly darker tint to it. It happens a lot especially with plastic panels unfortunately.

I bought a new XJ8 Jaguar in 1998 soon after the V8 engine was first avaialble.

I got great service from the dealer; when my car was late they loaned me a newly registered identical car to drive until my new car arrived.
    I ended up driving their 'demo' car for 2 months and gave it back with nearly 3,000 miles on the clock.

When I eventually collected my new car it was gleaming in the showroom. I drove it home and then to show a friend who said "well it's very nice, but have you seen the run in the paint?"

I couldn't beleive it! But fortunately the run was on the body colour grill which could be unbolted and a replacement supplied from the factory.

It just goes to show it is always worth spending a little time going around the car and checking for dings etc. before signing the paers and driving it away. It can happen.

Blog Entries
    So it came back today.... Needless to say it got rejected.., unfortunately they needed the demonstrator back so I'm stuck with it for now... Didn't sign the acceptance paperwork and had a long frank discussion with the lease company manager....

Master
    For the difference to show in a photo is shocking, I'm surprised they even bothered to show it to you.

What is the lease equivalent of rejecting the car (which you would have done by now if it was a purchase).

Paint matching IS possible, the chap I use is very good at it and certainly wouldn't send something like that out.

Blog Entries
    I basically told the lease company that I will be contacting the BMW dealer principal, the finance company for the actual lease and that I want a new car.

Blog Entries
    The guy who did the paintjob must be colour blind. A new car, new paint (not affected by sun or weather in general) with an 'easy' colour, with enough references from various companies how to formulate the correct shade of white...How difficult can it be! You're right not to accept this.

Menno

Master
    What is the wholesale price for this car, why are they causing so much stress. Order a new car and shift that one on as a demonstrator.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    What is the wholesale price for this car, why are they causing so much stress. Order a new car and shift that one on as a demonstrator.
    35k is list

Blog Entries
    Not sure really where I stand legally on this now... Any ideas? Not really keen to have to pay someone to help me reject it!

Master
    As per my post above, I knew this would be a nightmare :-(

I just don't get it, a blind man could see the colour difference between panels, never mind the current owner who specifically is looking for such things as colour difference between panels and the finish on the basis that so far the ownership experience has been beyond appalling and the incompetent fools at the dealership damaged the wings in the first place.

Why in the name of god did they even bother bringing it back to you? Why didn't the Bodyshop manager reject it the moment he saw the complete lack of colour match?? Why didn't the person who sprayed it look at it and think about mixing the right colour in the first place.................. the list goes on and on.

Words fail me.

I genuinely will be surprised if the BMW dealer / repairer will ever repair this to yours, or a blind mans, satisfaction and on that basis you should reject it now. This is just going to go on and on and on otherwise and you will never want to step foot in another BMW in your life. I hasten to add that BMW as a manufacturer are not at fault but the dealership representing them should be named and shamed.

Reject the car, tell them to come and pick it up within 48 hours and that you will require a suitable replacement whilst they source a new car that isn't damaged.

How many attempts do they want to try and get this right? and how much pain are you prepared to go through to allow them to TRY and get it right? What is this now, attempt No 2? I simply cannot believe they have released the car to you with it as it is, they just look like idiots. I've known a lot of bodyshop managers over the years and the majority just would not have let this out of the door. They'd sooner delay releasing your car, put you in another demo, get it rectified and then release it looking right!

Really pee's me off that you are being treated the way you are, regardless of what the lease company and dealer may think they have failed on two occasions to fix the car. The entire front end needs blending now they have completely cocked up the wings......... I'm lost for words and it isn't even my car.

Paul

Master
    What's the margin on new cars though, must be huge to pay for all those glossy dealerships 15k, 20k surely no more than 25k uk docks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    As per my post above, I knew this would be a nightmare :-(

I just don't get it, a blind man could see the colour difference between panels, never mind the current owner who specifically is looking for such things as colour difference between panels and the finish on the basis that so far the ownership experience has been beyond appalling and the incompetent fools at the dealership damaged the wings in the first place.

Why in the name of god did they even bother bringing it back to you? Why didn't the Bodyshop manager reject it the moment he saw the complete lack of colour match?? Why didn't the person who sprayed it look at it and think about mixing the right colour in the first place.................. the list goes on and on.

Words fail me.

I genuinely will be surprised if the BMW dealer / repairer will ever repair this to yours, or a blind mans, satisfaction and on that basis you should reject it now. This is just going to go on and on and on otherwise and you will never want to step foot in another BMW in your life. I hasten to add that BMW as a manufacturer are not at fault but the dealership representing them should be named and shamed.

Reject the car, tell them to come and pick it up within 48 hours and that you will require a suitable replacement whilst they source a new car that isn't damaged.

How many attempts do they want to try and get this right? and how much pain are you prepared to go through to allow them to TRY and get it right? What is this now, attempt No 2? I simply cannot believe they have released the car to you with it as it is, they just look like idiots. I've known a lot of bodyshop managers over the years and the majority just would not have let this out of the door. They'd sooner delay releasing your car, put you in another demo, get it rectified and then release it looking right!

Really pee's me off that you are being treated the way you are, regardless of what the lease company and dealer may think they have failed on two occasions to fix the car. The entire front end needs blending now they have completely cocked up the wings......... I'm lost for words and it isn't even my car.

Paul
    Paul, many thanks for the long post, much appreciated. I knew it was going to be a nightmare and I'm entirely f***** off with the whole situation! I basically told the lease company that I don't want it. The fact that they sent it out in this condition makes me question if they could ever fix it properly. The lease company are being decidedly neutral at the moment which is starting to anger me.... I'm the bloody customer and do whatever to sort it out, I was absolutely fuming when I got this email.....

Hi Mike

I emailed ***** your message this morning – and he said unfortunately they would not be offering compensation, he advised that it’s costing them over a grand to fix the problem. I appreciate that’s not your fault as they obviously damaged the car in the first place. As your car will be fixed brand new again and you’re being kept mobile in the meantime they feel there is nothing to compensate for. Sorry about that Mike.

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't care if it's costing them 10 grand! It's my brand new car they damaged!

Craftsman
    "It's my brand new car they damaged"

It's not really your car though is it :-/ it's leased so you are only renting some one else car !

I bet it could have been pulled and polished out for £80 , wish I had seen it.

Paint was the last thing you ever wanted on this car, now it's a much bigger issue and mess.
    Last edited by Mrdemon; 25th March 2014 at 19:01.

Blog Entries
    "It's my brand new car they damaged"
    Let us -for argument's sake- assume that the OP hadn't said anything when he collected the car. I'm sure that -in that case- the lease company will have trouble accepting these dented wings when he returns the car in a few years time! I'm sure the lease company will send the OP a bill with the repair costs of 'damaging the car' or otherwise what's common in the UK.

Sure, the car is not paid out of his pocket, but he / his boss pays a lot of money each month for this rent. And, in return, the lease company expects that the OP, being the driver, is very careful with the car. And he currently is very careful with it.

Menno

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Let us -for argument's sake- assume that the OP hadn't said anything when he collected the car. I'm sure that -in that case- the lease company will have trouble accepting these dented wings when he returns the car in a few years time! I'm sure the lease company will send the OP a bill with the repair costs of 'damaging the car' or otherwise what's common in the UK.

Sure, the car is not paid out of his pocket, but he / his boss pays a lot of money each month for this rent. And, in return, the lease company expects that the OP, being the driver, is very careful with the car. And he currently is very careful with it.

Menno
    It's actually a private lease so I do!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    It's actually a private lease so I do!
    Even a better point! I'm only used to company (lease) cars and still I can understand your anger.

M.

(missplaced my glasses - have to use a larger font...)

I'm probably a bit late in coming to this thread but the way I see it is that the OP has a contract with the lease company and not the dealership.

He should therefore have dealt only with the lease company and refused to accept the sub standard vehicle. It would then have been up to them to provide you with a vehicle acceptable to the OP under the terms of the agreement.

As the OP now has and is using the car, he will be deemed to have accepted the vehicle and therefore probably now can't reject the vehicle (although probably worth checking with someone who knows better).

He should still only deal with the lease company and possibly withhold any further payments until he receives the vehicle to which he is entitled under the terms of the lease.

Master
    Just looking about and will update with more links but looks like you need to start writing letters to the finance company and the supplying dealer -

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...for-2-5-months

Master
    some good pointers here -

http://www.wragge.com/published_articles_8212.asp

Paul

What's the margin on new cars though, must be huge to pay for all those glossy dealerships 15k, 20k surely no more than 25k uk docks.
    You would be horribly surprised. I once had a good customer who genuinely discussed how he could invest £5m and we could open a prestige dealership together. When I explained the margin models and the likely return on asset it took one look at his (albeit actively and very well self-managed) bank account to put him off....

OP - it's a lease and private or not, ownership lies with the finance company. Focus your attention on the finance company who will then focus their attention on the retailer. I'd doubt greatly that they (as in either party) would replace the car over this, however frustrating this may be.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Dream on. Dealer margin is around 10-14% before discount......

Master
    Sorry a bit OT but blimey, the manufacturers are pulling todgers in that case, even with R&D I bet they make more than 15%.

Any of my painters could have matched that colour, no problem.

Blending, although sometimes necessary, is often used as a way out/easy option for poor painters who can't be bothered/don't know how to properly colour match. The type you find in large/supermarket 'bonus' scheme approved bodyshops.

My guys would have mixed the paint to the formula then produced some spray out cards (colour test) and tint as/where required. Yes, white is difficult, but it's not impossible, and it's a darn sight easier when it's brand new, not 3, 4, 5 years old.

Why would you want to blend the whole front end of the vehicle? You'll end up with half the car being the 'wrong' colour!?

Now, in my opinion, you run the risk of a poor/lazy painter 'chasing it out' and painting both sides of the vehicle.

People get hung up on manufacturer approval, but a local premium German dealership send all their work to me, and not their approved shop.

The dealership should've dealt with it before you collected the car. If dealt with properly, you'd be none the wiser that the wings had been painted. It really isn't that common for 'new' cars to have some form of paint work before the customer collects. We see 8-10 a month.

Anyway, hopefully it will soon be rectified to your satisfaction OP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddw78 View Post
    Any of my painters could have matched that colour, no problem.

Blending, although sometimes necessary, is often used as a way out/easy option for poor painters who can't be bothered/don't know how to properly colour match. The type you find in large/supermarket 'bonus' scheme approved bodyshops.

My guys would have mixed the paint to the formula then produced some spray out cards (colour test) and tint as/where required. Yes, white is difficult, but it's not impossible, and it's a darn sight easier when it's brand new, not 3, 4, 5 years old.

Why would you want to blend the whole front end of the vehicle? You'll end up with half the car being the 'wrong' colour!?

Now, in my opinion, you run the risk of a poor/lazy painter 'chasing it out' and painting both sides of the vehicle.

People get hung up on manufacturer approval, but a local premium German dealership send all their work to me, and not their approved shop.

The dealership should've dealt with it before you collected the car. If dealt with properly, you'd be none the wiser that the wings had been painted. It really isn't that common for 'new' cars to have some form of paint work before the customer collects. We see 8-10 a month.

Anyway, hopefully it will soon be rectified to your satisfaction OP.
    How many painters do test cards though, and, how many have got the first clue about tinting? One thing is for sure, the repairer that did the above repair didn't or hasn't!

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Dream on. Dealer margin is around 10-14% before discount......
    Interesting. There always seem to be so many heavily discounted (25-35%) more expensive (50k+) cars out there. I guess the money is made on the volume of basic 116d etc.