closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC XII or New Build Omega 300

Master

IWC XII or New Build Omega 300

Odd how I am torn between two watches of such different design and purpose. I had long wanted a IWC mark style watch, and finally settled on this Mark XII, in part because of the wonderful movement in this model.

Unfortunately though it does not get worn much.... Lately seeing pictures like this:

and I start to eye the mark XII as the source of the funds for a new build 300 -

I think my wife may be right, I may like finding and buying the watches more than owning them.

Which would you keep/get?

Personally, and as the owner of a new build SM300, that would get my vote. They are such a pleasing design in the metal, just retro enough, the right size and also very wearable with long or short sleeves. A lot of people comment on my SM300. The bracelet is easy to remove (I have an oyster) and they work really well on a black NATO as well.

The IWC is a lovely movement, true, but it's a little too ordinary in appearance for my tastes, and I don't like the arabic numerals on that dial. They seem like an afterthought.

Just to whet your appetite, here's a link to the original build thread for the watch which is now mine.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...My-SM300-Build
    Last edited by stuartforrest; 26th April 2014 at 16:57.

Any ideas on where to get a SM300 new build.......or is it do it yourself?

I would go for the Omega!

The Omega is my choice. I know the IWC has a good movement but the Omega has a little more wrist presence and the retro look I prefer.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    I think my wife may be right, I may like finding and buying the watches more than owning them.

Which would you keep/get?
    Neither – the IWC design is a dime-a-dozen, and the Omega is from a time that's had its day already.
    Your wife is wise – she's the only one worth keeping out that lot!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartforrest View Post
    Personally, and as the owner of a new build SM300, that would get my vote. They are such a pleasing design in the metal, just retro enough, the right size and also very wearable with long or short sleeves. A lot of people comment on my SM300. The bracelet is easy to remove (I have an oyster) and they work really well on a black NATO as well.

The IWC is a lovely movement, true, but it's a little too ordinary in appearance for my tastes, and I don't like the arabic numerals on that dial. They seem like an afterthought.

Just to whet your appetite, here's a link to the original build thread for the watch which is now mine.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...My-SM300-Build
    that is what I want to do, but without a date window. I added up the cost and it looks like about $2,000 (US) give or take, and strangely enough the case is cheaper on your side of the pond even with the crummy exchange rate. Time to start collecting parts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kakadu View Post
    Any ideas on where to get a SM300 new build.......or is it do it yourself?

I would go for the Omega!
    I am planning on collecting the parts, and take to a local watch guy to put together and pressure test.

Quote Originally Posted by jtbold View Post
    that is what I want to do, but without a date window. I added up the cost and it looks like about $2,000 (US) give or take, and strangely enough the case is cheaper on your side of the pond even with the crummy exchange rate. Time to start collecting parts

- - - Updated - - -
    There's no doubt that the part prices have gone up significantly since Muska built mine, I'm led to believe because Omega realised that people were building them up from new parts, and wanted to make it uneconomical to do so.

IIRC the hardest part he found to source, and the only bit on mine apart from the movement which isn't NOS, was the correct date wheel. Obviously that wouldn't be an issue for you, but I wanted a date dial version, and I think it's a very well accomplished date - no cyclops, well positioned on the dial.

I have to say thought that setting it is a PITA. There's a very small amount of movement on the crown pull between the time and date setting, and you pull/push to set the date. So I'm forever setting it one day past where it needs to be in trying to find the time set position.

The IWC's in a different league - you'd be nuts to do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    The IWC's in a different league - you'd be nuts to do it.

+1 Can't beat originality.