closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex GMTc BLNR / 116710LN (black)

Exclamation Rolex GMTc BLNR / 116710LN (black)

So are these EXACTLY the same watch, bar the bezel colour?

If so, the price differential on the used market (over £5k vs £4k) seems crazy and can't last long - especially once the blue is more readily available.

Banned
    You would think so but my AD is having trouble getting hold of them, as soon as they come in they're gone, I think it's one watch you have to see in the flesh. The BLNR after all was the first ceramic bi colour bezel Rolex produced and it took 5 years to perfect, the other later red black is on a WG GMT @ 16K explain that one so actually the BLNR is not in bad company really.

The GMT hand is Blue on the BLNR.
    Last edited by Fords; 14th May 2014 at 06:01.

Red face

So at the moment it's just a 'supply and demand' issue. That will turnaround in a few months.

I can wait! :) ...or alternatively save up for a Pepsi.

The RRP is also £450 more (£5950 against. £5600) so, like the LV/LN subs, it will probably always be more expensive than the black bezel version.

Master
    The lettering and GMT hand colour is different. The Bi-Coloured will always be at a premium to the standard black.

Red face

Perhaps in its first 2 years of production - after that, I very much doubt it.

I still remember all the fuss and furore surrounding the 'green glass!' Milgauss GV when it first came out. The green glass was then reputed to be amazingly hard to manufacture. I think Rolex resolved any issues pretty quickly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    The lettering and GMT hand colour is different. The Bi-Coloured will always be at a premium to the standard black.

Master
    but the msrp is higher on the blnr so it will always trade at a premium if they traded at the same price it would actually mean it is at a discount.

Red face

Once any manufacturing complexities of the two-tone bezel are ironed out, any difference in RRP will be purely down to marketing. It's not the same as the difference in RRP between, say, the Sub and Sub date. You're actually paying for a (albeit basic) complication in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    but the msrp is higher on the blnr so it will always trade at a premium if they traded at the same price it would actually mean it is at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Once any manufacturing complexities of the two-tone bezel are ironed out, any difference in RRP will be purely down to marketing. It's not the same as the difference in RRP between, say, the Sub and Sub date. You're actually paying for a (albeit basic) complication in that case.
    Manufacturing costs have nothing to do with RRP.

Journeyman
    My local AD has one in the window display for a couple of weeks. I was surprised it was still there last Saturday.
    Was wearing my GMT2c and the differences did not create any urges for me.

Cheers
    Pete aka ObiWan

Apparently it takes 40 hours to make the two tone ceramic bezel.

I was also told that new "Pepsi" ceramic bezel would have been a £2k premium on top of that hence the reason for them putting it exclusively on white gold.

No, but it is the same as the difference between the standard sub and the sub LV.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ObiWan View Post
    My local AD has one in the window display for a couple of weeks. I was surprised it was still there last Saturday.
    Was wearing my GMT2c and the differences did not create any urges for me.

Cheers
    Pete aka ObiWan

In Manchester there selling like hot cakes, when I have seen one in the window it's the only one that's been ticking.
    Last edited by Fords; 14th May 2014 at 13:10.

I prefer the BLNR over the all black GMT 2c which is why I'm happy to pay a premium on the price.
    I would buy the Sub date over the black GMTc and I think that is reflected in the second hand pricing on these models. The black/blue bezel is a point of difference and one I am willing to pay for.

Banned
    The BLNR lifts the GMT out of the " I have a sea dweller/sub" dilema. it's so striking and very different, if only the SD4000 had something extra about it.

Master
    Why did the new SD need something extra and such as???
    Last edited by watchmad; 14th May 2014 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    Apparently it takes 40 hours to make the two tone ceramic bezel.

I was also told that new "Pepsi" ceramic bezel would have been a £2k premium on top of that hence the reason for them putting it exclusively on white gold.
    I can accept that it may take 40 hours to make a ceramic bezel, 99% of which is sitting in a kiln but all this talk about the difficulties and extra costs(£2k is just absurd) is complete nonsense (ie marketing hype)!
    We've been making multi coloured ceramic products for thousands of years and in actual fact the black bezels are also multi coloured (well 2 anyway) because the markings are a different colour.

Master
    At the mid luxury market level any slight increase in innovation or complexity and thus exclusivity will have a disproportionately large increase in price. At the high luxury market level like PP this small increase can often be double the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I can accept that it may take 40 hours to make a ceramic bezel, 99% of which is sitting in a kiln but all this talk about the difficulties and extra costs(£2k is just absurd) is complete nonsense (ie marketing hype)!
    We've been making multi coloured ceramic products for thousands of years and in actual fact the black bezels are also multi coloured (well 2 anyway) because the markings are a different colour.
    Though the markings are engraved so don't really count. The whole selling point is that its one piece of ceramic material, I guess they could have quite easily made two differently coloured half bezels and stuck them together. I agree though £2k sounds mental but then so is £6k for a stainless steel watch :)

There was a really awesome video kicking about of the manufacturing process but I've lost it :(

Master
    That doesnt make sense mate....A difference in RRP is a difference in RRP. It will always be different. It will not be a "mean reverting" price. The BLNR will always be more expensive than the standard GMT.

The BLNR is nice but given the standard GMTc has been on SC for circa £3.7k and the BLNR for circa £5.6k I know which I'd choose. Actually in the end I went for neither and got a JLC :o)

I think the BLNR is lovely and I wouldn't even consider a black GMT as it is too similar to my SubC. However, I think the BLNR is only going one way price wise,probably stabilising a few hundred more than the black version.

Craftsman
    I prefer the black bezel version despite the cost mainly due to the green 24 hour - it's a really nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    The BLNR is nice but given the standard GMTc has been on SC for circa £3.7k and the BLNR for circa £5.6k I know which I'd choose. Actually in the end I went for neither and got a JLC :o)
    The oldest BLNR is about 12 months old whilst the black has been around since 2010 so you're not necessarily comparing like with like.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Why did the new SD need something extra and such as???

TBH when I handled one last week I was unimpressed, though I have the potential to drop £7K on it I didn't, why, because a vintage one has more appeal to me.

People are talking/moaning about paying a premium for the BLNR over the GMT black but the premiums in the bezel and on the dial, what premium had the SD got, this is possibly Rolex and Veblen entwined for the first time.

Basically it's the same cheese and tomato pizza as before, but with an extra ceramic tomato.
    Last edited by Fords; 17th May 2014 at 06:32.

Personally, I find the BLNR a bit garish and contrived. I'd buy the LN over it every time, but could have wept when I saw Rolex's intentions for the Pepsi. Damn shame, that.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 17th May 2014 at 07:21.

Grand Master
    Hopefully we are just leaving Hype & Fuss phase with the BLNR and it will just be another steel sports with a price to match, as a line in the sand I think the following is a rough market value buts its only my opinion!

Its not rocket science with Rolex Steel sports just take 20% - 25% off what they cost new (depending on popularity league) and thats what they are worth less any marks or missing bits and bobs!
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 17th May 2014 at 07:22.
    RIAC

The oldest BLNR is about 12 months old whilst the black has been around since 2010 so you're not necessarily comparing like with like.
    Why not? They're the same watch, I could service the 2010 watch and have effectively a new watch for £4.2k ish. Still people are free to make they're own choice, I maintain which one I'd buy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Why not? They're the same watch, I could service the 2010 watch and have effectively a new watch for £4.2k ish. Still people are free to make they're own choice, I maintain which one I'd buy.
    They are practically the same watch as are the 116610 LN and LV but the fact is one has a higher RRP than the other and will therefore always sell at a slight premium like for like.

There's also currently a supposed rarity value for the BLNR although my local AD has had at least two in stock since they first became available. There's always one in the window and usually one in their inside display.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Personally, I find the BLNR a bit garish and contrived. I'd buy the LN over it every time, but could have wept when I saw Rolex's intentions for the Pepsi. Damn shame, that.

I would agree but rather than dismiss it with a few carefully chosen words, I would hazard a guess that is no more garish to most than any other bicoloured GMT and certainly not bright and showy, Rolex designed it to look exactly black blue a process that took many years to perfect, like a faded bezel which takes many years to perfect, or 10mins with a wire brush and bleach.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I would agree but rather than dismiss it with a few carefully chosen words, I would hazard a guess that is no more garish to most than any other bicoloured GMT and certainly not bright and showy, Rolex designed it to look exactly black blue a process that took many years to perfect, like a faded bezel which takes many years to perfect, or 10mins with a wire brush and bleach.
    I saw one on a recent business trip to Las Vegas and I must confess I did rather like it (sorry!) - not too brash at all. I'd actually rather have one of these versus a Pepsi or plain bezel GMT. The bloke at the Rolex dealer inside the Wynn (which claims to hold the largest stock of any Rolex AD in the world) casually mentioned that he'd sold 30 in the last 3 months - as you do - and could not get enough of them.

SGR

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron View Post
    There was a really awesome video kicking about of the manufacturing process but I've lost it :(
    This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbH16yT_sLg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I saw one on a recent business trip to Las Vegas and I must confess I did rather like it (sorry!) - not too brash at all. I'd actually rather have one of these versus a Pepsi or plain bezel GMT. The bloke at the Rolex dealer inside the Wynn (which claims to hold the largest stock of any Rolex AD in the world) casually mentioned that he'd sold 30 in the last 3 months - as you do - and could not get enough of them.

SGR
    +1

Thats why I bought one of the first out.

I love mine, bought it last year and paid a few hundred under list. At the time it was red hot property and to some extent still is.

Do I care values will fall? Not a jot, by all means wait and hope for a deal in the future but I sold my LN for the BLNR and do not regret it for a moment.

The he reason I don't care is that I am unlikely ever to sell it. I don't think there will be a pressing financial need and the only Rolex I have sold in 4 years since buying my first is the 116710 LN and even then only to replace like for like with the BLNR.

They are real watches and to my eyes have greatly more appeal than the LN.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Almost, there was a very similar video for the BLNR. The bezel numbers are platinum on those rather than gold. Thanks for that though

Master
    On future values, there are LN's out there that were purchased new for c.£3,800 when they were first released and all the various prices along the way to whatever rrp is now, thus more people willing to sell them lower. I think it will be quite some time before you see BLNR values sitting at the same level as LNs.

Craftsman
    They are practically the same watch as are the 116610 LN and LV but the fact is one has a higher RRP than the other and will therefore always sell at a slight premium like for like.

There's also currently a supposed rarity value for the BLNR although my local AD has had at least two in stock since they first became available. There's always one in the window and usually one in their inside display.
    Hi Dave ,what AD would that be if you don't mind me asking.

Tony

Master
    Eh ?? I saw my first Black GMT C in 2007

maseman