closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cat saves young boy from vicious dog attack.

Cat saves young boy from vicious dog attack.

For our resident cat lovers ................
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAvq7h8EaJs

wow great to see that but the response from the mother and the neighbour is shameful, I'm a dog lover more than cat lover but if that was my dog it would be put to sleep straight away, not quarantined to see if the dog had rabies.

The boy's mother, Erica Triantafilo, wrote on Facebook: "We aren't upset with our neighbors, we're just thankful our son wasn't injured more.

"Thank you to everyone, our cat is my hero!"

She told KGET-TV that her neighbours voluntarily quarantined their dog after the attack.

Master
    Incredible. Just makes you wonder what was going through the mind of the cat.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Should put the bastard mutt down, would have easily killed that child had they both been alone.

Master
    The dog was a pussy ???? meowww! in all seriousness that could of been very very nasty for the young boy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Incredible. Just makes you wonder what was going through the mind of the cat.
    I really dont like that flea ridden bas**rd, maybe????? the cat must have recognised danger to its owner and it was a good bloody job, that thing needs putting down.

Shocking to think of what could have happened, bravo that cat!

Craftsman
    Kill the dog! Simple!

Brilliant from the cat though

The cat probably saved the lives of both the dog and the child there. It (the dog) should be put down though, the boy's mother should insist on it for everyone's safety.

Banned
    what the hell was the mother thinking when she runs back leaving the kid alone just after the moggie did its thing, what if the dog came in for a second go? bizarre.

Well done, cat! That dog should be put down though or given to better owners, not safe to have it running around.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    what the hell was the mother thinking when she runs back leaving the kid alone just after the moggie did its thing, what if the dog came in for a second go? bizarre.
    I assume she was looking for the dog.

Journeyman
    Amazing cat! The whole scene was recorded on what seems a lot of cameras in such a small area..

Craftsman
    Bizarre, that you can make conclusions without being there?

"The boy's mother, Erica Triantafilo, was outside at the time. She said the dog was still hanging around and she tried to chase it away and it bit her as well.

The boy was taken to the hospital and received 10 stitches. He is now home recovering."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deryckb View Post
    Bizarre, that you can make conclusions without being there?

"The boy's mother, Erica Triantafilo, was outside at the time. She said the dog was still hanging around and she tried to chase it away and it bit her as well.

The boy was taken to the hospital and received 10 stitches. He is now home recovering."
    are you going to limit your conversations strictly to situations in which you are a direct eye witness? what a stupid point to take, we all do it all the time. I saw the clip on the news dog scoots off bottom left, mother runs to kid then back in opposite direction. that struck me as odd is all.

I assumed she was going to get some bandages, first aid or whatever.

Looks odd but obviously she's had a shock (they were quite nasty wounds) and with hindsight didn't make the best decision.

Looked to me as if the kid and dog have History... and I bet the cat hates the kid only marginally less than he hates the dog ;)

Journeyman
    Kill the cat and the dog - both are dangerous to kids and other animals.

Master
    The cat seems to remember that they are just a cat and then seems to hides under the truck/car.

Took marks for it to think its a dog, well done cat.

In reply to the many "why wasn't the dog killed" queries: http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/14/cat-sa...-attack-video/ : "We're told the dog was picked up Tuesday by animal control -- in an extremely aggressive state -- and a decision has been made to euthanize the animal."

-Eric-

Master
    are you going to limit your conversations strictly to situations in which you are a direct eye witness? what a stupid point to take, we all do it all the time. I saw the clip on the news dog scoots off bottom left, mother runs to kid then back in opposite direction. that struck me as odd is all.
    I agree with you. As a parent your first instinct is to pick up the child to prevent it from any further danger, get way from an attacking animal, and to comfort the child from what is a traumatic situation

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    The cat seems to remember that they are just a cat and then seems to hides under the truck/car.

Took marks for it to think its a dog, well done cat.
    I don't think the cat hides...it returns to the kid. The video shows it back on the other side of the car.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    In reply to the many "why wasn't the dog killed" queries: http://www.tmz.com/2014/05/14/cat-sa...-attack-video/ : "We're told the dog was picked up Tuesday by animal control -- in an extremely aggressive state -- and a decision has been made to euthanize the animal."

-Eric-
    Good. Pathetic dog owners raising their dogs wrong.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    I agree with you. As a parent your first instinct is to pick up the child to prevent it from any further danger, get way from an attacking animal, and to comfort the child from what is a traumatic situation
    Not mine, on seeing the kid was ok (you know what I mean, not needing urgent medical attention) I would have had a look around the vehicle to see if the dog was in the immediate are, and then killed the f**king thing.
    I'm not an aggressive person.......until it comes to my kids. The red mist would have descended and I would have destroyed that animal by any means possible. Sorry if this offends, it's simply the way I am regarding my immediate family.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    I don't, my reaction would be to keep myself between the dog a child if there was a chance of a repeat attack.

*added of course this is with time to think about what my first reaction would be.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Not mine, on seeing the kid was ok (you know what I mean, not needing urgent medical attention) I would have had a look around the vehicle to see if the dog was in the immediate are, and then killed the f**king thing.
    I'm not an aggressive person.......until it comes to my kids. The red mist would have descended and I would have destroyed that animal by any means possible. Sorry if this offends, it's simply the way I am regarding my immediate family.
    Your primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of your child not to indulge your bloodlust or engage with the threat. I have no idea what the woman actually did or why she did it (and pass no judgment other than the points being raised by way of conversation here) but leaving the child alone is a pretty basic failure.

Quote from: Roger Triantafilo

Question: Why did the mom run away?

Answer: After checking his wounds she made sure the dog did not return for a second attempt. The owners were there also and she was bit by the dog as she tried to pin him in his yard. The owners did get control of the dog and secured him in which she immediately returned to attending to our son. I did not include that video because it was not so much about the dog but about the cats actions.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Odd, very odd.

That is what I thought.
    Seems she sees the shadow (of the cat) coming back and runs off...
    The kid is left to his own devices, struggle up (with serious risc of extra injury depending on the damage) and run too.

That is apart from the rather small kid on an instable bike at the side of the road.

Bad parenting, both of the kid and the dog, score by far the ´highest´ marks here.
    The only heroe is the cat.

As to the dog. It is, without doubt, unacceptable but... we do not know the history. That too may have bad parenting (from either or both) as cause.

Btw twó cameras switched on. What is the history thére??

Odd.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Quote from: Roger Triantafilo

Question: Why did the mom run away?

Answer: After checking his wounds she made sure the dog did not return for a second attempt. The owners were there also and she was bit by the dog as she tried to pin him in his yard. The owners did get control of the dog and secured him in which she immediately returned to attending to our son. I did not include that video because it was not so much about the dog but about the cats actions.
    Checking his wounds in 1.5 seconds. Thorough job. Then try engage with the dog? Genius. You'd be a lot of use if it ripped out your femoral artery and bled to death while the dog had the kid for dessert.

fortunately the cat had sufficient intelligence for the lot of them.

I love the cat, but is it a set - up? they're filming the dog on the far side of the car from the boy, and they keep filming it as it goes behind the car and in for the attack. How on earth is that explained? There are 2 cameras at least. The one filming the dog and another on the boy?!

Master

Cat saves young boy from vicious dog attack.

Your primary responsibility is to ensure the safety of your child not to indulge your bloodlust or engage with the threat. I have no idea what the woman actually did or why she did it (and pass no judgment other than the points being raised by way of conversation here) but leaving the child alone is a pretty basic failure.
    Oh please, get off your self righteous high horse. If the dog is dead, my child is safe. Not rocket science is it. If the dog wasn't in the immediate vicinity, I would have gone back to my child. Furthermore, I stated QUITE CLEARLY if my child did not need immediate medical attention. Had the kid been in a bad way, then yes, obviously the child's treatment is the first priority.

Checking his wounds in 1.5 seconds. Thorough job. Then try engage with the dog? Genius. You'd be a lot of use if it ripped out your femoral artery and bled to death while the dog had the kid for dessert.

fortunately the cat had sufficient intelligence for the lot of them.
    Checking his wounds in 1.5 seconds. Thorough job.
    Obviously she hasn't reached your level of ability. But the kid did manage to get up and run, so perhaps she wasn't too far off in her judgment?

Then try engage with the dog? Genius.
    Several others on here have suggested this course of action.

You'd be a lot of use if it ripped out your femoral artery and bled to death while the dog had the kid for dessert.
    An unlikely scenario as the dog has just been seen off by a cat.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th May 2014 at 18:32. Reason: insert - course of action

Quote Originally Posted by pandaballs View Post
    Kill the cat and the dog - both are dangerous to kids and other animals.

Can you please explain why the cat needs to die as well? How many children/adults do you know who have been savaged by a domestic cat?

To suggest they should be treated the same is frankly odd.

The cat did good.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    some people need to get a life. None of you were there and don't know what happened so analysing something in detail is pointless, generates arguments and turns a thread into a keyboard war to the detriment of the forum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Oh please, get off your self righteous high horse. If the dog is dead, my child is safe. Not rocket science is it. If the dog wasn't in the immediate vicinity, I would have gone back to my child. Furthermore, I stated QUITE CLEARLY if my child did not need immediate medical attention. Had the kid been in a bad way, then yes, obviously the child's treatment is the first priority.
    Calm down dear its only the internet.

Have you you ever tried killing a dog thats trying to attack you barehanded? It's not as easy as you might think. Like it or not animals are faster than you are and as I said, it just takes one bite to the groin to incapacitate you and then the child is in serious danger.

so perhaps dismount your superhero horse and think about what might actually be sensible.

Odd how even an amazing(?) video about the surprise action of a cat turns into a keyboard war on here!

Banned
    Checking his wounds in 1.5 seconds. Thorough job.
    Obviously she hasn't reached your level of ability. But the kid did manage to get up and run, so perhaps she wasn't too far off in her judgment?

- Walking away isn't necessarily evidence of being ok. A friend of mine walked away from a knife fight and died in hospital that night. If she lacks ability wouldn't logic dictate more time spent not less?

Then try engage with the dog? Genius.
    Several others on here have suggested this course of action.
    - then they are wrong. Numbers does not equal being correct. 40% of Americans believe Genesis is literal.

You'd be a lot of use if it ripped out your femoral artery and bled to death while the dog had the kid for dessert.
    An unlikely scenario as the dog has just been seen off by a cat.
    - the dog apparently bit the mother, so evidence disagrees. The cat surprised the dog who acted instinctively and got away from a fast moving unknown threat.

If she lacks ability wouldn't logic dictate more time spent not less?
    No, a lack of ability would mean that getting help would be better.

then they are wrong.
    Just because you say so? I think otherwise.

the dog apparently bit the mother
    Did it? I thought it bit the neighbour...and posted a quote to that effect.

Ninja cat.

Banned
    If she lacks ability wouldn't logic dictate more time spent not less?
    No, a lack of ability would mean that getting help would be better.

Getting help by chasing the dog? Right.

then they are wrong.
    Just because you say so? I think otherwise.

because I've explained why. You are just arguing for the sake of it.

the dog apparently bit the mother
    Did it? I thought it bit the neighbour...and posted a quote to that effect.

that makes all the difference. The point is that the dog was still in attack mode.
    anyways, you are clearly an expert on close protection so I shall leave you to share your expertise with the uninitiated. What do those of us who have actually taken home a pay check doing the stuff know anyway. I'm now out of this conversation.

On the whole I dislike cats. This one's great though!

Master
    Great from the cat. My guess is that the child and the cat grew up together. We have 6 cats at present, 5 of which are from the same family clan (same mother/grandmother) and all have lived in and around our home all their life. They are very protective concerning everyone they consider to be part of their extended family, and like many mammals they are especially protective of youngsters, even those of other (mammal) species, with the exception of mice of course... ;-). It was a female cat, that explains some of it. Stronger protective instincts.
    One sees that the cat positioned itself for a second time between the child and the dog, doing a much better job than the mother. And it is also clear that a cat can beat a dog.

Journeyman
    Dog lover in general but new found respect to the moggy in this case. Followed up on the story and surprised to learn the dog was only 8 months old ( lab chow mix )