closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Graphic art tablet thingies. Any users available for advice ?

Graphic art tablet thingies. Any users available for advice ?

How do chaps

Looking for info and advice on the graphic tablet things that have the screen on the tablet so you don't have to constantly look at the PC. Sorry, not very detailed description as to what exactly what I'm looking for but if to you do graphic based stuff I'm sure you will know what I'm blathering on about

My daughter does a lot of PC based graphic stuff, mainly as a hobby in the past until now. She is starting a concept artist course at College soon and will be looking for a decent upgrade to the wackom bamboo she has been using.

I've done a little research but to be honest I'm out of my depth with this stuff. I realise they are expensive but probably looking for something mid range. I can't ask her directly as its going to be a birthday gift and don't want to spoil the surprise. Be nice to get a users perspective if we have any here ?

Cheers all

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    I can't ask her directly as its going to be a birthday gift and don't want to spoil the surprise.
    I realise it's probably not what you're looking for but the best answer is to let her start her course and see what kit they use. It's really advantageous to get used to one platform and use it consistently. The college may even get educational discounts or hook her up with their supplier.

I know nothing beats opening a big box on a birthday, but having done similar it's waaaaay better to take your time and get it right than make guesses or go with someone else's preferred kit that may be poles apart from her day-to-day solution. Get her a small pressie and a voucher saying "one graphics tablet" :)

I used to use a Wacom but only as an enthusiastic amateur rather than a pro.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I realise it's probably not what you're looking for but the best answer is to let her start her course and see what kit they use.
    You can probably give the college a yell and ask them before she starts the course hopefully?

I use one for my work quite a lot and have tried a few different models. For professional application one company, Wacom, has had the monopoly on graphics tablets for nearly 20 years and no one has challenged them yet, which is frustrating as it keeps the prices ridiculously high. Their products are really good though.

The tablets you are after are called Wacom Cintiq, and the choice really comes down to the screen size and whether you also want touch sensitivity (so you can also use your fingers along with the usual pen). The sizes are 13, 22 and 24 inches screens. I really like the smallest one as you can move it around, put it in your lap, and put it away when not in use. It's also the only option if you need to travel with it, take it to classes, etc.. The larger sizes are not easily movable and are used as a static drawing tablet/monitor on the desk in front of you, but are a much better choice if you're using it as the only display.

I use the 13in one, but in combination with two other monitors in front of me, so I can move the artwork from the tablet back to the monitor, etc., but a lot of people I know prefer the large tablet as it gives you a lot more workspace and reduces the need for a second monitor. So it comes down to preference. The price difference is big as well, but I wouldn't go for the 13" tablet for cost reasons alone, I'd consider the purpose, the workspace, and whether she's likely to use a second monitor or not.

The touch sensitivity is mostly a gimmick IMO, but many people like the ability to not have to use the pen to move stuff around, open files, etc. I've always been happy with just the pen or the mouse.

The last option is Wacom's new product, which is an all in one Cintiq Companion, a computer tablet running Windows. I wouldn't recommend it as the tablet part of it will far outlast the computer in terms of usefulness. I've had my tablet about 6 years now, but have replaced the computer systems three times already.

And finally, there are now a couple of companies in China who are producing tablets to challenge Wacom, at much lower prices, and the reports have been fairly positive. I have no experience so can't offer an unbiased perspective, but the aftercare and support are still questionable, so until there is a proper support network I wouldn't seriously consider them.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I've been doing this a very long time, but am bound to have forgotten a bunch of stuff to mention.

Regards,
    Adi

How about an iPad with a graphics tablet app and a stylus gadget to replicate a pen or brush?

Much cheaper, much more flexible, and much less likely to be a five minute wonder, never to be used again.

If you're looking for software, Autodesk (who I work for) offer educational licenses for all their applications. SketchBook Pro 2015 and 3DS Max might be of use to a budding graphic designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meinessex View Post
    How about an iPad with a graphics tablet app and a stylus gadget to replicate a pen or brush?

Much cheaper, much more flexible, and much less likely to be a five minute wonder, never to be used again.

This is certainly a viable option to try out drawing on a screen, etc., but it's not a good representation of what these tools can do, at least not yet (I can't wait until it is!). The pressure sensitivity/progression, as well as the angle sensitivity (angle of pen to tablet), are the main difference between something like an iPad and a proper graphics tablet.
    Last edited by adigra; 4th July 2014 at 13:54.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    This is certainly a viable option to try out drawing on a screen, etc., but it's not a good representation of what these tools can do, at least not yet (I can't wait until it is!). The pressure sensitivity/progression, as well as the angle sensitivity (angle of pen to tablet), are the main difference between something like an iPad and a proper graphics tablet.
    I would agree, a pressure sensitive stylus is a must, however I believe they are now available for the iPad.

Ahhar, Wacom do the pressure sensitive pen for the IPad.
    might this be a better option I wonder, pen and IPad ?

http://www.wacom.com/en/gb/creative/...reative-stylus

I downloaded and app called ProCreate which is way to complex for me but what other graphics options/apps are worth a look at and how do they compare to the Wacom or any other software ?

@adi, I will definitely have a look at the Cintiq.
    Thanks to all for the great advice.
    Last edited by gasgasbones; 4th July 2014 at 17:54.

It's not the pressure sensitivity of the pen that's the issue, it's the tablet itself. For fun, or for field sketching, I am sure the iPad is good, but I'd equate this to the difference between taking a photo with a phone and one with a DSLR.

But, having said that, equipment doesn't make an artist, and if it's a passing interest for a bit of fun, getting a Cintiq is a colossal waste of money. They do resell fairly easily though. But you have to decide whether this is something that will be used and useful or not.

Anyhow, for fear of seeming self serving, I don't do a lot of purely digital work any more, but these older images were done using only a Cintiq and Photoshop (one was the design for Iron Monger from Iron Man 1, and the other is a keyframe for the Avengers movies).

/\

End of thread right there :)

In my opinion you can post as much of your work as you like, whenever you like :)

Amazing stuff Adi. I'm going to buy here the Cintiq 13.

She does some nice stuff at the moment, obviously still developing her art but I'm hoping and trying my best to encourage her as much as I can. I think she lacks a little confidence but hopefully the college course, a decent tablet and plenty of encouragement she will develop her skills nicely.

And and yep, please post some more of your work !

Thanks guys!

Another thing I should mention is that Wacoms are a norm in all of the workplaces all over the world. A couple of universities I've lectured at had tablets in their classrooms, which is a good way to try them out. Back when I was in college, at the dawn of the digital arts, my school had tablets, the early Wacoms, which is how I learned. Then my first job (at Nintendo) had them, and then I could afford to buy my own. When they came out with the screen ones, I resisted because of the cost, but after I tried it I realised just how much more natural it was to draw directly on the screen.

These days I use the tablet and computer almost daily for sketching and layouts, but I draw and paint the finished work traditionally in acrylic. If you are interested and have a bit of time to kill, there's lots of work on my website. Be warned though, it's all superheroes. http://adigranov.net/

P.S. Although it may sound like I am promoting Wacom heavily, I really wish there were alternatives. I am not sure why, but they have completely cornered the market and no one else has ever made a viable alternative for the pro market.

Craftsman
    I'm a little late to this thread but agree with using Wacom.

I've used them in various sizes for 20+ years. They work great instead of a mouse for general use too.

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I wondered if the Cintiq 13 is still the current favourite in this range?
    My daughter is at Uni and wants to upgrade from her Wacom Intuos to a graphics tablet with a screen, does anyone have an alternative suggestion to the Cintiq that they've had first hand experience of?
    Or is the Cintiq still the best option? Either way, it's going to cost me!

My other reason behind the thread bump was to highlight Adi's excellent artwork. There's a couple on page 1 and the link to his site is in post #13. Utterly fantastic work.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvetsnow View Post
    Apologies for the thread resurrection but I wondered if the Cintiq 13 is still the current favourite in this range?
    My daughter is at Uni and wants to upgrade from her Wacom Intuos to a graphics tablet with a screen, does anyone have an alternative suggestion to the Cintiq that they've had first hand experience of?
    Or is the Cintiq still the best option? Either way, it's going to cost me!

My other reason behind the thread bump was to highlight Adi's excellent artwork. There's a couple on page 1 and the link to his site is in post #13. Utterly fantastic work.
    Does she really need it? I use a Wacom tablet nearly every day for retouching and can't see the advantages of a cintiq (especially at the price) it's easy to say 'I want' if somebody else is paying!

Despite my moans, I'm sure it's need more than a want! She draws really quite detailed anime characters and the main advantage of the Cintiq is that you draw directly on to the screen/picture. This improves the connection to the piece and therefore looks more natural. (Or so I'm told!)

Master
    My daughter is doing a similar course and had this issue exactly, she tried an ipad pro and pencil but didn't get on with it that well, in the end she bought a microsoft surface pro, keyboard and stylus (the latest versions) which have better update rates, more levels of pressure sensitivity and can track pen angle for shading. Not cheap but with student discount were reasonable. Not having a separate tablet makes it far more portable for a student. Wacom do something similar but it's not as portable and has some disadvantages as a pc / laptop which the surface doesn't.