closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Servicing abroad - import duty on return?

Servicing abroad - import duty on return?

Hi All

If I send some watches to a friend in Australia who will service them for me, will I be liable to import duty when they are returned?

I know it's a risk when BUYING a watch abroad and the post can be intercepted and charges applied, but if it's a watch returning from a service?

What say ye?
    Last edited by Rev-O; 29th August 2014 at 11:47.

There is a HMRC form available that I think declares your watches as a temporary export and exempt from duty upon re-import ... I dont know what the forms called exactly , sorry...
    https://www.gov.uk/temporary-exporta...ort-procedures
    Last edited by JasonM; 29th August 2014 at 08:15. Reason: found it..

Master
    A pal was visiting relatives in Switzerland and left his Seadweller with Rolex in Switzerland (think it was actually Geneva but not certain) to be serviced. He had hell's own job to get it through duty free when it was returned. Customs intercepted it and demanded duty and VAT. He had to send off the original receipt from the UK dealer stating the serial number and the original recept from Rolex for the service charges before they would accept the situation and let it through.

Moral to the story.. Talk to Customs first, get the right forms and fill them in properly. Then you will be OK.

Rob

If you are exporting a watch for repair, you need to get a C1055 form from HMRC before you send the watch away.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/c1055.pdf

Note: you can't use the linked PDF.

Have a read of: Import reliefs on previously exported goods...it looks complicated! And I'd ask your Australian friend what he is doing to avoid import duties and what, if anything, you need to do to help him accomplish that.

PS Can you keep us updated on what you find out and how you get on, please?

PPS Shouldn't your title read 'Servicing..."?
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th August 2014 at 10:33.

Thanks PB -- thread title now changed from "Serving Abroad" (my days of that are over!) to "Servicing Abroad"

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Thanks PB -- thread title now changed from "Serving Abroad" (my days of that are over!) to "Servicing Abroad"
    I was just about to give advice on how to slip through Brize Norton customs unnoticed....

Apprentice
    Importing to Australia will have duties for anything over A$1000 - make sure you declare under & note "for repair" on all the psperwork

Quote Originally Posted by shauno View Post
    Importing to Australia will have duties for anything over A$1000 - make sure you declare under & note "for repair" on all the psperwork
    Bloody hell -- they get you both ways!

Maybe the thing to do is wrap it up in brightly coloured paper and include a birthday card :-)

Then write "present" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Bloody hell -- they get you both ways!

Maybe the thing to do is wrap it up in brightly coloured paper and include a birthday card :-)

Then write "present" on it.
    Nope...won't work. See: duty or GST on a gift.

Edit: I suggest you and your friend have a read of: Temporary importations.
    Last edited by PickleB; 29th August 2014 at 12:38.

Normally VAT (and the usual "processing fees") is due upon return on the value of the work (+shipping) per formed during the service...

Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    Normally VAT (and the usual "processing fees") is due upon return on the value of the work (+shipping) per formed during the service...
    VAT "on the value of the work" -- i.e. not on the value of the watches?