closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London Accomodation - your help required again

Master

London Accomodation - your help required again

Further to your help a couple of weeks ago, for my son staying in the city for interviews, my son has now secured employment in and around Moorgate.

He now needs house share accomodation presto pronto. He is hoping for £150pw absolute tops.

Would any of you have any specific recomendation for areas close, safe and affordable for him to take a look.

My knowledge only extends to 4star hotels I'm afraid and I've recommended islington and angel because I know them.

Any input would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance......................Brian

I have some friends living in and around there (I think - my London geography is not great!), both house share and I know one has a couple of rooms spare. Let me speak with them and come back to you. (They are both good lads, professionals, and would be a good safe bet for advice if nothing else)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Further to your help a couple of weeks ago, for my son staying in the city for interviews, my son has now secured employment in and around Moorgate.

He now needs house share accomodation presto pronto. He is hoping for £150pw absolute tops.

Would any of you have any specific recomendation for areas close, safe and affordable for him to take a look.

My knowledge only extends to 4star hotels I'm afraid and I've recommended islington and angel because I know them.

Any input would be really welcome.

Thanks in advance......................Brian
    £600 per month will be tight, I was paying that 9 years ago for a room with double bed and wardrobe. I'll admit I've been out of the game a while though. SE London is cheaper and you can get good trains to London Bridge/Farringdon. Islington I would guess for that money he'd get somewhere very small and a bit dodgy, Angel I'm guessing the same. Check out gum tree, easyroommate etc. It's a zoo down here, I don't envy your lad coming to London village in the current climate. Good luck!

£600 a month to rent a room? The insanity of the London property market never ever fails to amaze me.

Journeyman
    Zone 3 for £650 a month here.

Anyways spareroom.co.uk is pretty good to quickly get a room in an already shared house and they sometimes do speed flatmating events. One of my friends did a short term let through air bnb or something of that sort while she was flat hunting to help take the stress out.

Congrats and good luck to him!

Pm me your number I'll ring you tomorrow with an ideal thing

Master
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine was advertising for a roommate. It's 20 minutes from London bridge or about the same to bank on the DLR, £600 a month - http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...are_id=3506324

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    A friend of mine was advertising for a roommate. It's 20 minutes from London bridge or about the same to bank on the DLR, £600 a month - http://www.spareroom.co.uk/flatshare...are_id=3506324
    How things change, I paid the same 9 years ago...to live 10 min walk from Tower Bridge!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    How things change, I paid the same 9 years ago...to live 10 min walk from Tower Bridge!
    Shadwell?

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    Shadwell?
    I did live in Shadwell but for a short period and was paying £525 :o) my mate has a property business and gave me mates rates! £600 was in Wapping, much nicer, makes a big difference whether your north or south of The Highway!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaCat View Post
    Zone 3 for £650 a month here.

Anyways spareroom.co.uk is pretty good to quickly get a room in an already shared house and they sometimes do speed flatmating events. One of my friends did a short term let through air bnb or something of that sort while she was flat hunting to help take the stress out.

Congrats and good luck to him!

what is this "air brib" please ?

B

what is this "air brib" please ?

B
    https://www.airbnb.co.uk/

Also look on gumtree. Another good source for flat/house shares.

Master
    Thanks to you all for your inputs and thanks for the PMs, calls and texts.

His search has begun and with your inputs I am sure he will be wiser.

Thanks again

Brian

Craftsman
    When I moved to London years ago we used Loot to find our flatshare. Was something like £120/week for a room in Vauxhall.

Spareroom is the best and least dodgy out of the London accommodation sites I think. The lesser known moveflat is good too.

All the best to him. The flat hunt in London is an utter nightmare!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Spareroom is the best and least dodgy out of the London accommodation sites I think. The lesser known moveflat is good too.

All the best to him. The flat hunt in London is an utter nightmare!

Thanks again !!

All inputs welcome

B

Not forgotten, B - Just waiting for my Chum to reply - hopefully this weekend if not this evening. (He is notoriously elusive!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Not forgotten, B - Just waiting for my Chum to reply - hopefully this weekend if not this evening. (He is notoriously elusive!)
    Much appreciated !!

Brian

Master
    I would recommend Hoxton/Haggerston area, if he's happy to flat share he could get a decent place for around 650, with a 15 minute walk to work.

It's also only 5 minutes from Shoreditch which is great for bars/restaurants etc.

Just be prepared to pay way more than you think for way less than you imagine. And he's still got to get to work!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uwtc View Post
    I would recommend Hoxton/Haggerston area, if he's happy to flat share he could get a decent place for around 650, with a 15 minute walk to work.

It's also only 5 minutes from Shoreditch which is great for bars/restaurants etc.

I know he hasn't looked in that area - Thanks for the input.

B

Blog Entries
    I know he hasn't looked in that area - Thanks for the input.

B
    Hoxton is a really cool area... Used to go to the bass clef there when I was a London dweller.... Quite hippy chic if he's into that kind of thing

Many happy memories of nights out!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Hoxton is a really cool area... Used to go to the bass clef there when I was a London dweller.... Quite hippy chic if he's into that kind of thing

Many happy memories of nights out!!!
    i used to go to the blue note ,had some good nights there
    nice area hoxton but also has some dodgy estates around there so be careful when choosing what part if hes interested in staying there

Master
    Practically everywhere in London has dodgy estates nearby. It's one of the things that differentiates it, mostly to its benefit, from Paris. Even if the food, climate, transport and aesthetics are worse.

Anyway, Hoxton is so full of bearded, lumberjack-shirted, pulled pork eating hipsters working on the 6th dot.com start-up that it's as safe as houses. The only people you're likely to spot who aren't hipsters are foreign students paying £35,000 per week for a room in a new build place.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger View Post
    Practically everywhere in London has dodgy estates nearby. It's one of the things that differentiates it, mostly to its benefit, from Paris. Even if the food, climate, transport and aesthetics are worse.

Anyway, Hoxton is so full of bearded, lumberjack-shirted, pulled pork eating hipsters working on the 6th dot.com start-up that it's as safe as houses. The only people you're likely to spot who aren't hipsters are foreign students paying £35,000 per week for a room in a new build place.
    yes of course but staying near to one or in the middle of one can be quite different,,flat sharing on the area towards shoreditch will be better than being in the middle of de beauvoir just down the road
    ha ha the bearded lumberjack shirt wearers how true

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.st View Post
    yes of course but staying near to one or in the middle of one can be quite different,,flat sharing on the area towards shoreditch will be better than being in the middle of de beauvoir just down the road
    ha ha the bearded lumberjack shirt wearers how true

So is de beauvoir a bit rough then ?

B

Craftsman
    So is de beauvoir a bit rough then ?

B
    it borders islington but is just in hackney so along with one or two other estates around there got its share of less desirables thrown in years back,bit of a centre for drug dealers and prostitution back then,re generation programmes cleaned the area up a lot and the influx of ''the in crowd'' has seen it change a lot ,but still better places to stay more towards,shoreditch ,old street,angel,highbury
    as said most city areas have places that are less desirable so best to have a few weekends down there having a look around before taking the plunge

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.st View Post
    it borders islington but is just in hackney so along with one or two other estates around there got its share of less desirables thrown in years back,bit of a centre for drug dealers and prostitution back then,re generation programmes cleaned the area up a lot and the influx of ''the in crowd'' has seen it change a lot ,but still better places to stay more towards,shoreditch ,old street,angel,highbury
    as said most city areas have places that are less desirable so best to have a few weekends down there having a look around before taking the plunge

Thanks for this - Have passed this on to my son.
    Brian

Craftsman
    Thanks for this - Have passed this on to my son.
    Brian
    no worries mate good luck with it