closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone6

64gb space grey for me too. For in-store collection on the 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    64gb space grey for me too. For in-store collection on the 19th.
    i never saw or got the option for inshore collection although i was using the app??

Banned
    What sort of tariffs are you guys going for?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    What sort of tariffs are you guys going for?
    I'm on 3

ultimate internet sim 200 1 month

200 mins
    5000 texts
    unlimited data

£12.90 a month

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554 View Post
    I'm on 3

ultimate internet sim 200 1 month

200 mins
    5000 texts
    unlimited data

£12.90 a month
    Thanks. So with the cost of the phone over 24 months thats £38.70/month. I'm interested in the costing as it appears to me to be about £20/month more for the equivalent deal on an HTC one m8. Individually that's not a huge deal but when you start running a bunch of these things over the family, the annual phone spend could buy a very nice watch!

Master
    Josh,
    I've just bought mine outright direct from Apple unlocked as I upgraded to a HTC M8 in April with O2 to interface with the mmi in the Audi and just can't get on with Android,had 3 iPhones in a row and just miss the functionality I'm accustomed to.

£15 p/m tesco mobile SIM only

600mins
    Unlimited texts
    2gb data

Works out cheaper than most of the equivalent pay monthly deals.

Quote Originally Posted by ADRIAN554 View Post
    i never saw or got the option for inshore collection although i was using the app??
    I'm not sure if you can 'Reserve & Pickup' via the app. I've had a look for the link and can't find it.

It is on the website though: http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/iphone/ (Click reserve now at the top of the page. This link might take you straight there).

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Anybody know how this works?? Can you name a time or date, I dont get back in the country until the Sat 20th
    This link should be what you're after: https://reserve-gb.apple.com/GB/en_G...e/availability

(I've got one reserved for the 19th).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    This link should be what you're after: https://reserve-gb.apple.com/GB/en_G...e/availability

(I've got one reserved for the 19th).

Cheers - only showed pickup for the 19th, dont arrive back until 20th!! I ended up refreshing the apple store page about 10000 times with success and got one sent one to my mates addy for the 19th!!

Master
    How can you guys decide which one to buy without actually seeing and feeling one?

I think you pre-orderers are brave!

I thought the 5.5" one would be way too big, and the 4.7" one the obvious choice, but the more I think about it (and the more I see other peoples larger phones) the more I wonder if the bigger one will be better...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    How can you guys decide which one to buy without actually seeing and feeling one?

I thought the 5.5" one would be way too big, and the 4.7" one the obvious choice, but the more I think about it (and the more I see other peoples larger phones) the more I wonder if the bigger one will be better...
    Well the templates doing the round helped since we know the dimensions and thickness!!!

Personally it was a case of the big one or stick with the 5S for me. Besides the way the preorder went if you have second thoughts I'm sure you will get your money back!!

I've also got a 5" Galaxy S thingy (to work on my Sonos network). I generally carry my 'phone in my pocket so I now know that the 6+ is going to be too big for me. And colourwise, I had a white 3GS and regretted it the day after I bought it so it was always going to be black/grey for me. And finally, 16gb is way too small and I don't think that I will fill up 128gb. So a 64gb, 4.7" in black/grey was the only option for me. Easy.

We had a quicky shufty at some comparable phablets and came to the conclusion that the 4.7" was better for our needs, 5"+ phones start to look massive (particularly once you put a case on them), especially if you're carrying them around in a pocket. Went for the 64GB - which is a pretty decent amount of storage as the "mid" option now.

I use an ipad mini at home anyway, and that's pretty much the perfect size for browsing IMO. If I didn't have one (or similar), then it would probably make more sense to have the 5.5" and accept the larger bulk.

Don't bother with contracts anymore. Sim-only £10 a month is all I need, as I get plenty of minutes and I'm in wifi most of the time - you're effectively just funding the phone through the high monthly payments anyway.

I'm as tempted by the iphone 6 as the next man (contract expires this month) but I've just done some sums. For the cost of a 64GB iphone 6 Plus on the cheapest O2 contract I could have an LG G3 on a 24 month contract plus a 32 GB Ipad Air and have enough leftover for a PRS-18Q (give or take). It had better have some serious wow factor if Apple expect to crow-bar their way into my wallet this year.

Martin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    I'm as tempted by the iphone 6 as the next man (contract expires this month) but I've just done some sums. For the cost of a 64GB iphone 6 Plus on the cheapest O2 contract I could have an LG G3 on a 24 month contract plus a 32 GB Ipad Air and have enough leftover for a PRS-18Q (give or take). It had better have some serious wow factor if Apple expect to crow-bar their way into my wallet this year.

Martin
    I love a man who does his sums!!!

I guess that come December and my contract renewal Vodafone will be pushing me to have one of these... but I will do as I always do and take whatever Android device is free and from a manufacturer I have heard of and it will do me fine. I've never had a phone that didn't do what I needed or wanted, so all this excitement over the latest this or that rather leaves me cold...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I went for the 4.7 as I carry an iPad mini pretty much everywhere anyway. 128GB, don't think you can have too much storage. Should arrive in the post in 10 days. Hate shops.

Just order 4.7 16gb. Unfortunately I said I wouldn't, but I have a weak spot for tech.

Master
    Anyone else tried ios8 yet? Doesn't seem to be much difference to me. Certainly not up to the claims made by Apple. I do like the handoff feature though, especially being able to answer the phone on the iPad. Just a shame my 2011 iMac doesn't support it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im using iOS8. Small things I keep noticing but I think the biggest things are handoff / continuity and iCloud drive. Things you don't notice until you use multiple devices.

Is the new shortcut keyboard good or annoying? Im on the fence, find it distracting

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Is the new shortcut keyboard good or annoying? Im on the fence, find it distracting
    Hadn't noticed it to be honest.
    Now you've mentioned it, I'm finding it irritating.
    Last edited by Cynar; 13th September 2014 at 16:32.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Anyone else tried ios8 yet?
    How do you get it?

When I check for updates on my iPhone handset, it says I have the latest version (7.something) with no updates offered.

From what I can gather from the press, the iPhone 6+ seems to be the more popular model, now having a 1 month waiting list, whereas the 4.7" model is still available (though this may just be that there are less of the 6+ in production / available yet)

My iPhone5 is eligible for a free battery replacement, so I plan to go and sort that and look at the new phones in a couple of weeks time, but I think i'll go for the silver 4.7" with either 64 or 128GB.
    Last edited by ach5; 13th September 2014 at 17:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Hadn't noticed it to be honest.
    Now you've mentioned it, I'm finding it irritating.
    It's constant changing appears to iritate me too! Think I might disable it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    How do you get it?

When I check for updates on my iPhone handset, it says I have the latest version (7.something) with no updates offered.

From what I can gather from the press, the iPhone 6+ seems to be the more popular model, now having a 1 month waiting list, whereas the 4.7" model is still available (though this may just be that there are less of the 6+ in production / available yet)

My iPhone5 is eligible for a free battery replacement, so I plan to go and sort that and look at the new phones in a couple of weeks time, but I think i'll go for the silver 4.7" with either 64 or 128GB.
    Not officially out yet but the Gold Master (final beta) is out which is the same thing.

As for the iPhone 6 Plus - I think this is going to be something huge for Apple and we will see tons of them eventually. Looking forward to mine and will be intrigued to see if it sways me to ditch my iPad mini or not

Craftsman
    The missus ordered a 4.7" yesterday, she's a bit miffed as we're paying for the handset directly from apple and it won't arrive until 10days or so after launch! Anyway we'll purchase a plan (maybe even paygo if we see a decent one) suitable for her as opposed to being tied down to some contract for £50 a month for 2 years with a thousand times more voice/msg/data than she needs.

If it turns out to be a stunningly beautiful, incredibly well executed piece of tech, then i may sell my Samsung S4 and buy one... i like my s4, so it will have to be pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Anyway we'll purchase a plan (maybe even paygo if we see a decent one) suitable for her as opposed to being tied down to some contract for £50 a month for 2 years with a thousand times more voice/msg/data than she needs.
    Giffgaff could be the way to go here (see threads passim).

Master
    It took me about 3 years to buy my first iPhone as kept thinking "wait another 6 months for the *next* version to come out" - I eventually realised there will always be a *next* version, and I bought the 5... however, I suspect the iPhone6s will be Sapphire and possibly other updates... I am paralysed by update-itis!! I had been planning to buy the 6 for months, and now it's out I'm thinking about the 6s!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The best? The iPhone barely makes the top 10 according to Techradar. I have been following that list for years and I don't think the iPhone was ever on top of it.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...d-today-645440
    I don't believe a word of it - they make it quite clear that value for money is their criteria, so it's not a list of what's best, it's a list of features vs price, almost certainly made by android users. And how do you quantify ios vs android, for a user who may have other apple devices or who just prefers one ecosystem over the other? I don't believe these people have the faintest idea of how I would choose a phone, or would point me towards the best choice.

I won't be getting a 6 though - I'd rather have an out of contract 5S and very low bills. The 6 does nothing more that I need, it's about as incremental an update as I've ever seen.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 13th September 2014 at 20:57.

The missus ordered a 4.7" yesterday, she's a bit miffed as we're paying for the handset directly from apple and it won't arrive until 10days or so after launch! Anyway we'll purchase a plan (maybe even paygo if we see a decent one) suitable for her as opposed to being tied down to some contract for £50 a month for 2 years with a thousand times more voice/msg/data than she needs.

If it turns out to be a stunningly beautiful, incredibly well executed piece of tech, then i may sell my Samsung S4 and buy one... i like my s4, so it will have to be pretty sweet!
    Shakes his head in utter disbelief, I'll never get this kind of tribal must have desperation, its only a phone, and by its specs not a very special one,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Shakes his head in utter disbelief, I'll never get this kind of tribal must have desperation, its only a phone, and by its specs not a very special one,,,,,,,,,,,enjoy.
    What tribal desperation are you referring to?

What tribal desperation are you referring to?
    I actually said tribal must have desperation, I would hate any mistakes

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I actually said tribal must have desperation, I would hate any mistakes
    Its a thread about the iphone6, missus has an old phone. Missus would like a new phone. Missus has ordered the iphone 6.

Its nothing to do with tribal 'must have' desperation. Thanks for your contribution though.

After a discussion as to why O2 have the phone priced a mere £100 more than apple sell it for I suspect I won't be upgrading ...... Certainly not with O2 anyhoo.
    In all seriousness though is there anything the 6 does that the 5s does not?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
    After a discussion as to why O2 have the phone priced a mere £100 more than apple sell it for I suspect I won't be upgrading ...... Certainly not with O2 anyhoo.
    Supposedly a cardless payment system that I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing in the UK during the lifetime of the device. Given that I agree with Steve Jobs that a phone should actually fit in your hand, this update leaves me pretty cold. I feel like I only just got the 5S and there's nothing here to make me fork out for an upgrade. As mentioned previously, upgrading every two or three cycles makes a lot more sense.

I ditch iphone a few months ago now I have bought a samsung s5 mini great phone 4.5 screen is a cracking size as good spec half price to iphone 6. I paid £330 sim free. Also tested water resistant too But for the android lovers check the spec differnce and price difference.

http://www.versusos.com/apple-iphone...ni-comparison/

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Supposedly a cardless payment system that I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing in the UK during the lifetime of the device.
    I disagree. I think (hope!) that we will see NFC in the UK within 6 months. And it's slightly more secure than other contactless payments - it runs off the thumbprint ID system.

Otherwise, it's like most iPhone evolutions - bit bigger (a lot bigger in the case of the 6+), bit faster, higher res screen, better camera etc.
    Last edited by Bravo73; 13th September 2014 at 22:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    I disagree. I think (hope!) that we will see NFC in the UK within 6 months. And it's slightly more secure than other contactless payments - it runs off the thumbprint ID system.

Otherwise, it's like most iPhone evolutions - bit bigger (a lot bigger in the case of the 6+), bit faster, higher res screen, better camera etc.
    I hope you're right, it's a good idea in principle but since we will still have to carry our cards too for a long time it won't be motivating me to upgrade. I agree that we seem to have passed the point where upgrades were revolutions - the last really good gimmick was the finger print sensor. Upgrading the camera is always welcome, panoramas are fun and slo-mo is impressive, but I've just got to the point where I'll be investing in a proper point and shoot camera again so all my snaps don't look so iPhone-ish - bring back narrow depth of field! I'd rather put the money towards a Lumix LX100, to be announced on Monday. I'm sure the 6 will be a great phone on its own terms, but as an update it seems to be for people who really care about a bigger screen. iPad covers that for me.

Apple Pay in the UK is looking like 2015:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...europe-1264993
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...r-9729972.html

I'm upgrading from a 4S so the 6 will be a step up across the board.

Best network choices please

Given the very few iPhones I see in people's hands I reckon NFC will only really happen in the wealthier areas, at least for quite some time. And of course those few iPhones need to have the thumb readers. Central London only then?

Best network choices please
    That depends on where you live, surely?

If you are after 4G, Tesco Mobile (O2), O2 and 3 seem to be the cheapest. But, once again, that really depends on what coverage is like where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    And of course those few iPhones need to have the thumb readers.
    Apple Pay is iPhone 6/+ only. (And Apple Watch, when it comes out).

Master
    How do you get it?

When I check for updates on my iPhone handset, it says I have the latest version (7.something) with no updates.
    It's easy enough. Just google for the Gold Master for your device and download it. Connect your device to your computer, then in iTunes hold the shift (windows) or option (Mac) key down while you click on check for updates. A file browser will appear and you point it to the file you downloaded.
    Last edited by Cynar; 14th September 2014 at 09:27.

Anyone heard anything about Virgin? I'm a tv/phone/broadband customer and hear that there'll be preferential rates available, but can't seem to find any info on when they're likely to be available and what the offerings will be. Don't know whether to keep hanging on or just go with someone else. Currently on a sim only Virgin plan with a knackered 4S, so keen to move on asap.

Master
    Sorry if this has come up before on the thread (I did have a look), but is anyone else thinking that the 6 is actually too big? I don't mean the 6+, which is positively obese, I mean even just the 6.

Using the photo below, I resized it on my iPad to show the actual size, using a 5S as a guide. Yes, it's great that the screen goes almost edge to edge, and I guess it's only a bit taller, but it makes a surprising amount difference to the size when you see it. I found myself looking at the footprint and thinking that it would be noticeably more cumbersome in a trouser pocket. Apple seem to have caved in to the bigger is better philosophy of Samsung and others, following the market instead of leading it. I kind of agree with Steve Jobs' philosophy that there's a right size for a phone, and bigger is not necessarily better. No doubt once you actually own one you will be raving about the great screen, but for the moment I feel that the 5S being smaller is actually a selling point for me.

If they could reduce the size of the home button, and camera and speaker parts at the top and bottom, and fit the 6 screen into the 5S size, that would be a better phone, in my opinion.

Last edited by Itsguy; 14th September 2014 at 12:32.

Master
    I upgraded from a 5 to an a HTC M8 a few months ago and love the larger size which is much better for reading and sending e-mails and text messages.
    Size is just OK for either a suit or shirt pocket but wouldn't want to go any bigger than the 4.7.

Sorry if this has come up before on the thread (I did have a look), but is anyone else thinking that the 6 is actually too big? I don't mean the 6+, which is positively obese, I mean even just the 6.
    I think it will all depend on how you use your phone. The 5" format is actually a pretty good compromise between giving you a useful screen area whilst maintaining pocketability in jeans etc. I must confesss that, now my eyesight is weakening a little, the regular 5S's screen is a bit of a strain to use for some web browsing. The eyesight issue is also why I'm not bothered by the current battle of screen resolutions - I can't focus close enough to notice the higher PPI's of some of the new UHD screens.

The 6 maintains a good thickness profile, so will still be a comfortable size. I think apple could have made it slighly bigger on the 6 i.e. 5" and got a little bit more screen area in fact, but then the 6+ would have had to have been even larger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I think it will all depend on how you use your phone. The 5" format is actually a pretty good compromise between giving you a useful screen area whilst maintaining pocketability in jeans etc. I must confesss that, now my eyesight is weakening a little, the regular 5S's screen is a bit of a strain to use for some web browsing. The eyesight issue is also why I'm not bothered by the current battle of screen resolutions - I can't focus close enough to notice the higher PPI's of some of the new UHD screens.

The 6 maintains a good thickness profile, so will still be a comfortable size. I think apple could have made it slighly bigger on the 6 i.e. 5" and got a little bit more screen area in fact, but then the 6+ would have had to have been even larger.
    Well having just checked, I can tell you that the 5S just fits nicely in the trouser pocket of a pair of Acne jeans. The 6 is actually going to stick out of the top of the pocket a little bit, and possibly dig in when you sit and lean forward. A bigger screen is fine, but for me a bigger phone is not an improvement.

I'm waiting for the 7 ;-)

Well having just checked, I can tell you that the 5S just fits nicely in the trouser pocket of a pair of Acne jeans. The 6 is actually going to stick out of the top of the pocket a little bit, and possibly dig in when you sit and lean forward. A bigger screen is fine, but for me a bigger phone is not an improvement.

I'm waiting for the 7 ;-)
    Got a case and screen protector through for my 6 4.7", so I've now got a pretty good idea of the size. It's not a bad size in terms of pocketability - it's not that much larger than the 5s, partly due to the narrower bezel, and it's getting towards the limits of one-handed usage for normal sized hands. I think the 5.5" would definitely have been too much for what I need a phone for, but the 4.7" is usefully larger than the 5S without being too big. Roll on Friday!