closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thor Heyerdahls 100th birthday today - Kontiki time!

Thor Heyerdahls 100th birthday today - Kontiki time!

Well, if he'd still be alive, that is.

I know that there are quite a few Kontikis on the forum, for some reason they always make me smile whenever a photo pops up ...

I got this one at a local auction site a couple of months ago. Quite cheap for obvious reasons.

Although the movement looked to be in a pretty good condition, the watch was beyond my skills and I didn't have the necessary tools. Got help from Christian Dannemann and I'm happy with the results!

OK, I'm not a photographer! And a proper photo would also reveal all the scratches and dings. The insert is of course a new generic one, finding an original will probably take the rest of my life.

My guess is that it dates from the early sixties, mainly since the crown does not screw down. I've read somewhere that the early ones did not have that function, and there's no traces of it ever being present. I've been in contact with Eterna but haven't heard from them yet ...

Anything regarding date would be much appreciated, and I'd be very happy to see yours!

From one of the first (yours) to one of the last Kontiki's to use this case

Mine is from the 90s, I think.

Love this watch, but I have to say the design of the hands on your (earliest) design of Super is very lovely.

Dave

Happy Birthday Thor! Always wanted one - never in the right place, look like wonderful
    simple divers watches. Both look very nice.

David

Master
    Blog Entries
    That original version is lovely, the handset and painted dial

Back in the 1970s we had a board game based on the Kontiki expedition, no instructions mind so we made them up. Great fun. It sparked my interest in sailing and other water activities.

^^^^ Out of curiosity I checked the bay, and yep, three of them up for sale!

I remember his book about the Ra Expedition, I think I read it a dozen times when I grew up. Still got it somewhere ...

Here is my IDF

Craftsman
    I adore Mr Sweets late Kontiki diver. Miss the only Kontiki I ever had a 1958 that I PX'd with Eddie when he was still selling pre owned watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bork View Post
    My guess is that it dates from the early sixties, mainly since the crown does not screw down. I've read somewhere that the early ones did not have that function, and there's no traces of it ever being present. I've been in contact with Eterna but haven't heard from them yet ...

Anything regarding date would be much appreciated, and I'd be very happy to see yours!
    Mine is from 1959 (or so I was told when I bought it) and also has a non-screw down crown. The later 60s Super Kontiki does have this feature though. Got to ask - where did you get that bezel insert?

Terrible old picture of my Kontikis below. I actually have another one now :D

They need a Norwegian flag strap, one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-White-...item27e4863b23

http://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/nato-w...blue-FL75.html

http://shop.tidssonen.no/products/tidssonen-nato

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...Cannete-2.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-T7B962...-/251584873716

Take yer pick!

Edit: my mother is Norwegian and it's traditional to have the "flag" design on your ski straps, so it's a short hop to making it onto a watch strap.
    Last edited by Rev-O; 6th October 2014 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Mine is from 1959 (or so I was told when I bought it) and also has a non-screw down crown. The later 60s Super Kontiki does have this feature though. Got to ask - where did you get that bezel insert?
    I do hope I get a reply from Eterna, though I've read they don't keep records of the vintage stuff. I'd really like to know production date, I've always "known" they entered production in the late fifties. The Eterna website says -62 though ...

Regarding the insert, me and Christian (watchguy.co.uk) talked about whether to try and replicate an original or spice it up with a splash of colour. I'm glad we settled on this one, looks good IMO. I believe he gets most of his stuff from cousins but I'll e-mail him and get back to you.

Lovely bunch you've got! And sweets & Flashharry; beautiful!

edit: well, I'll guess a norwegian nato would be appropriate! On the other side the cross country skiing season is starting and it might be a sensitive issue ;-)
    Last edited by bork; 6th October 2014 at 17:37.

Here's mine.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Fantastic. If you ever feel like moving that on, please give me a shout!

Craftsman
    Perfect, similar to but in better condition than the one I Px'd with you many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Here's mine.

Eddie

From one of the first (yours) to one of the last Kontiki's to use this case

Mine is from the 90s, I think.

Love this watch, but I have to say the design of the hands on your (earliest) design of Super is very lovely.

Dave
    This looks like baronet crown envy. Same hands, same markers apart from 6 and 9, same insert apart from colour... Pretty watch undoubtedly but has lost its originality in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This looks like baronet crown envy. Same hands, same markers apart from 6 and 9, same insert apart from colour... Pretty watch undoubtedly but has lost its originality in my eyes.
    Oh, I don't know. Do you mean the Heuer 1000s, equipped with the bayonet locking crown? It's a bit nicer than them, with proper WG applied markers, domed crystal with undermount cyclops etc etc.

The reason I sought that one out is that it uses the original "Super" case design, as per the OP's above.

Here is the arrival thread I did.

And sorry Lampoc, it's not going anywhere.

Dave

Eddie, your Kontiki case design is another classic - the original design perhaps? Love the finishing between the lugs, and the sweep of the chamfer round the outside - lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Got to ask - where did you get that bezel insert?
    Emailed Christian; "a genereric Rolex insert, turned down on the lathe" ...

And sorry Lampoc, it's not going anywhere.
    Shame - I really needed a 6th Kontiki :(

Happy 100th Birthday Thor! Here's my Eterna Trio:

Cheers!
    Mark

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashharry View Post
    Here is my IDF

That one does it for me :)