closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Frankfurt commuting advice

Master

Frankfurt commuting advice

Hi guys,

I'm going to a small conference in 2 weeks time and not sure how the local transport works... Can I buy a day/week ticket and use the S bahn, U bahn etc (including the airport journey)? Where from and how?

I will need to get from the airport to the city centre and then to Bockenheim where my hotel is....and then from there to the Max Planck institute

I'm a bit worried as it seems to be a rather large city to be there 'on my own'.
    Any info will be greatly appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Mike

Craftsman
    Make sure you get the correct Frankfurt, many years ago AE travel managed to book me flights to/from Frankfurt am Main but a Hotel in Frankfurt am Oder :-(

On topic, my preference was to get a hotel close enough to walk then use a taxi to/from the airport (the client was paying).

Master
    Some years ago I was there regularly and always used Taxi's when getting from the airport to the hotel and moving around the city. I found it tiring and stressful enough on my initial visits without worrying about catching the right train. Just ease yourself in gently for the first couple of days till you get your bearings then enjoy!

Master
    ,,,first couple of days...I'm only staying for a couple of days :) (Mon evening- Wednesday)

Checked the routes, now just need to know what ticket will get me unlimited travel within the city (including the trip to the airport)- I shouldn't be in a hurry (I can always get a taxi in case I get completely lost)

Google 'Frankfurt Travel Card'

Booked a hotel in Frankfurt once , then my flight, to Frankfurt Haan... Expensive lesson in geography ..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by NJHawkins View Post
    Make sure you get the correct Frankfurt, many years ago AE travel managed to book me flights to/from Frankfurt am Main but a Hotel in Frankfurt am Oder :-(
    I once had a flat battery in Frankfurt Oder - thankfully the engine sparked on the 5th or 6th turn and we got out. What an unmitigated sh;thole.

It was actually at the end of a day-trip with some visitors to the Seelow Heights (the last stop of the Red Army on the way to Berlin in 1945) which is well worth a look.

I've never actually been to the other Frankfurt - other than the airport which is only slightly less abysmal than Heathrow.

Master
    Got to the airport...my flight was not on the notice board...

Got to the massive queue...Lufthansa is starting 36hrs strike... that was one short stressful trip...on my way home

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    Got to the airport...my flight was not on the notice board...

Got to the massive queue...Lufthansa is starting 36hrs strike... that was one short stressful trip...on my way home
    Ouch. Luftwaffe in general is having a LOT of problems with strikes. It sucks. ;(

M

Quote Originally Posted by morgandk View Post
    Ouch. Luftwaffe in general is having a LOT of problems with strikes. It sucks. ;(

M
    I don't think they like it when you call it that. Funny how sensitive some people can be.