closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing Best Daily Wear Tough Diver..

Journeyman

Question Help Choosing Best Daily Wear Tough Diver..

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but have been an avid watch collector for many years (since I was 11!) I own a whole lot of watches, ranging from the first casio i ever owned, through to my Rolex SD, Sub, Pan Luminor Sub PAM00024, Tag Aquaracer etc..

I have been looking into finding an EDC that must have the following requirements :

• Sapphire Glass
    • Water Resistant to at least 200m (300m preferable)
    • GTLS - Tritium luminescence - (Blue preferable but not essential, more for Cool factor!)
    • Swiss Movement
    • Decent Battery Life, or Automatic
    • Has to be TOUGH!

I have been searching around for sometime, and I own two luminox models already, so know that GTLS is the way to go.

The research I have done, leads to to three brands of watch for my budget (£400-£500 max) - The Nite Aqua/Nato (designed by the late Noah Fuller), the Marathon Medium Diver SAR, and the Luminox 3081 chrono (either the Blackout or standard white/black version).

I am totally torn between these watches so need help deciding or for someone to maybe mix things up and suggest another watch to the equation...

I already own Seiko Monster, a truly brilliant auto watch, bullet proof and has never let me down but I want something that I can wear anytime anywhere, in the office, out exploring at weekends, meeting clients (so has to go well enough with a shirt and suit...

I know this may have been asked many times before, but its something I really cant decide on.

the watch that I am leaning towards the most at present is either the Nite Aqua/Nato. I understand these are a bit of a Marmite watch, but I love the styling, plus the fact its a Noah Fuller design and he's designed some cool stuff makes it more appealing.

People say Nite have build issues - but a friend of mine has bought a Nato recently and the watch feels and looks like it cost £1000 not £330! its solid, weighty but just right, the materials used feel high quality and even the rubber dive strap is thick and good quality.

Anyway be good to hear your take on these, so feel free to chip in!

Thanks,

Simon.

Master
    Just a small point about the tritium colours. If you go for blue it won't stand out at night as much as the Green. Green is the brightest.
    Not that it matters too much as blue, green, orange whatever tritum you will still see at night.

Otherwise I can't help with the picking between makes, I have two Luminox. The older one was second had when I got it, worked fine for four maybe five years and died. Had to have a new movement fitted, cost £60 at an independent watch repair shop, maybe more than the watch was worth, but I like it so kept it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Just a small point about the tritium colours. If you go for blue it won't stand out at night as much as the Green. Green is the brightest.
    Not that it matters too much as blue, green, orange whatever tritum you will still see at night.

Otherwise I can't help with the picking between makes, I have two Luminox. The older one was second had when I got it, worked fine for four maybe five years and died. Had to have a new movement fitted, cost £60 at an independent watch repair shop, maybe more than the watch was worth, but I like it so kept it.
    Thanks for the Info.

I know the blue tritium isn't as bright as green, but it will be fine for the kind of use I require. I am not totally hooked on it being blue lumed - i like green/orange too as one of my luminox watches is the 3003 blue dial with green/orange GTLS. my other luminox is the a200 sentry blackout which has blue and orange which i have been impressed with so far.

I love Luminox watches, and the 3081 chrono looks awesome. I recently found out that it has celebrity endorsement now as its the "go to" watch for Bear Grylls.. so this is another tick in the comparison chart..

Master
    Here's my old girl,

Sits by my bed side at night, saves me turning on a light to fine the time.

Banned
    I'd go for the Nite, it has a T100 rated dial, so there will be more tritium in those glass vials.

Hello

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Marathon. I have 4 of them including an MSAR. (yes I am a fan boy and I am looking for a CSAR).

I own a Traser (code blue) and have looked / held some of the nite & luminox equivilents and in my opinon the build quality of a Marathon far exceeds the competition, in fact I don't think they are in the same league.

The lack of marketing and endorsement is a big plus in my book as well. Both my MSAR and JSAR are the watches that seem to get the most attention from non WIS as you don't see them in the wild at all.

Paried with a bracelet they are smart enough to be worn in the office, stuck on a nato they are super comfy and indestructible for weekend visits to cheese shops, national trust sites and other high risk activities. The MSAR has been around the world with me, up mountains, down caves, passed out on street corners and its still going strong, keeps good time and looks good.

Go with what you like as they all have their own merits, but I don't think you will be disappointed with a Marathon dive watch.

Enjoy!

John

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Hello

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Marathon. I have 4 of them including an MSAR. (yes I am a fan boy and I am looking for a CSAR).

I own a Traser (code blue) and have looked / held some of the nite & luminox equivilents and in my opinon the build quality of a Marathon far exceeds the competition, in fact I don't think they are in the same league.

The lack of marketing and endorsement is a big plus in my book as well. Both my MSAR and JSAR are the watches that seem to get the most attention from non WIS as you don't see them in the wild at all.

Paried with a bracelet they are smart enough to be worn in the office, stuck on a nato they are super comfy and indestructible for weekend visits to cheese shops, national trust sites and other high risk activities. The MSAR has been around the world with me, up mountains, down caves, passed out on street corners and its still going strong, keeps good time and looks good.

Go with what you like as they all have their own merits, but I don't think you will be disappointed with a Marathon dive watch.

Enjoy!

John
    Thanks John,

I really, really do like the Marathon Medium Dive.. it looks the most aesthetically pleasing on the eye, when compared to the dials of a luminox etc. I also like the look of the Nite Aqua mainly due to its white dial - it reminds me a bit of the Rolex explorer 2 with the orange hand.

Someone threw into the mix from my office the CWC Royal navy Divers watches.. as these also are issued to royal marine commandos, and SBS platoons today. Apparently these are bomb proof and last years - but alas No GTLS, so unsure about these.

Marathon is for sure on the list to choose between, and its getting stronger every day. - one thing what worries me is the fact I have heard that the marathon watches eat batteries? every 2-3 years compared with the Nite/Luminox of Ronda Swiss movements with 10+ year battery life...

can you confirm or deny the Marathons battery life situation?

thanks,

Simon.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I'd go for the Nite, it has a T100 rated dial, so there will be more tritium in those glass vials.
    Im not sure the model of Aqua has T100 tritium - i have emailed Sam at Nite customer services and Nite appear to have changed supplier of the cases for their Aqua and Nato ranges - due to the previous build quality issues.

they have been out of stock for the last 7 months.. but i have been promised it should be available once more soon.??? (Shame really as they seem really good).

Journeyman
    Here's my old girl,

Sits by my bed side at night, saves me turning on a light to fine the time.
    Nice Luminox!

I have the Blue dial 3003 Navy Seal and the Sentry a200 blackout.. i wear the blackout daily as it was cheap and takes a beating..

but this new choice i am faced with will become my daily wear until it either dies or stops working all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sread01 View Post
    Thanks John,

I really, really do like the Marathon Medium Dive.. it looks the most aesthetically pleasing on the eye, when compared to the dials of a luminox etc. I also like the look of the Nite Aqua mainly due to its white dial - it reminds me a bit of the Rolex explorer 2 with the orange hand.

Someone threw into the mix from my office the CWC Royal navy Divers watches.. as these also are issued to royal marine commandos, and SBS platoons today. Apparently these are bomb proof and last years - but alas No GTLS, so unsure about these.

Marathon is for sure on the list to choose between, and its getting stronger every day. - one thing what worries me is the fact I have heard that the marathon watches eat batteries? every 2-3 years compared with the Nite/Luminox of Ronda Swiss movements with 10+ year battery life...

can you confirm or deny the Marathons battery life situation?

thanks,

Simon.
    I bought a 2009 contract TSAR (quartz) along with the auto MSAR brand new. I gave the TSAR to my old man and the the battery is still going strong, its never been changed. I would think 5 years is about right dependent on the quality of the battery used. My JSAR has the same movemment and the battery lasted 5 years

I also have a CWC Diver (auto 2012 contract). Great watch but they now use luminover as opposed to tritium and the lume is pants (the worst I have on a divers watch). Pre 2012 (I think) contracts had tritium lume and whilst this is good its not in the same league as the tritium tubes, you should also consider the half life aspect of the tritium, the older CWCs lume will have decreased in brightness a tad, over 15 years of age and they hardly glow at all.

On a side note, CWC are no longer issued to the british armed forces, the current divers watch is an citizen eco drive that is void of issue markings in anyway.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-Issue-Watches

Intresting thread on MWR (hope its ok to post a link mods)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st October 2014 at 11:49.

Journeyman
    I bought a 2009 contract TSAR (quartz) along with the auto MSAR brand new. I gave the TSAR to my old man and the the battery is still going strong, its never been changed. I would think 5 years is about right dependent on the quality of the battery used. My JSAR has the same movemment and the battery lasted 5 years

I also have a CWC Diver (auto 2012 contract). Great watch but they now use luminover as opposed to tritium and the lume is pants (the worst I have on a divers watch). Pre 2012 (I think) contracts had tritium lume and whilst this is good its not in the same league as the tritium tubes, you should also consider the half life aspect of the tritium, the older CWCs lume will have decreased in brightness a tad, over 15 years of age and they hardly glow at all.

On a side note, CWC are no longer issued to the british armed forces, the current divers watch is an citizen eco drive that is void of issue markings in anyway.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-Issue-Watches

Intresting thread on MWR (hope its ok to post a link mods)
    Very Interesting - the review on the Citizen Divers is that its a bullet proof divers - solar powered high torque quartz movement - rugged case, and the luminova on the hands also has a good review. Word I have read is that some models have sapphire laminate glass, proving tough as.

I might just add this watch to the discussion list of watches...

Very Interesting - the review on the Citizen Divers is that its a bullet proof divers - solar powered high torque quartz movement - rugged case, and the luminova on the hands also has a good review. Word I have read is that some models have sapphire laminate glass, proving tough as.

I might just add this watch to the discussion list of watches...
    It's also cheap as chips in comparision to all of the watches you have suggested. I have never owned one though so can't comment on quality.
    What ever you choose, enjoy it.

Journeyman

Cool

It's also cheap as chips in comparision to all of the watches you have suggested. I have never owned one though so can't comment on quality.
    What ever you choose, enjoy it.
    Indeed - I have found these on sale for £110 on places like amazon etc.

I am a fan of the looks of the watch - and to be honest really just want a edc watch that i can beat around, but still look nice enough to wear for work etc.

If its good enough for UK Army divers etc it must be good enough for my purposes.

may end up saving a few quid to!

But the question is - is it Sad to buy a grey Nato strap to wear it with? ;-)

[QUOTE
    But the question is - is it Sad to buy a grey Nato strap to wear it with? ;-)[/QUOTE]

No its the law! It has to be done.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE
    But the question is - is it Sad to buy a grey Nato strap to wear it with? ;-)
    No its the law! It has to be done.[/QUOTE]

Being the Law Abiding Citizen (no punn intended) ill purchased the nato strap and wear it with pride..

however - being 100% accurate in my choosing - does the nato strap on the NSN lists have stainless steel buckles or the black pvd type?

OK Simon, I'll chip in. Have owned Luminox and Marathon and Traser and in my humble opinion they are waaay overpriced for what you get. The quartz movements are sloppy and cheap feeling and the GTLS are underwhelming - something which can only get worse with time. I have a GTLS keyring fob which is nuclear, but those on the above watches was pretty disappointing. The Luminox and Traser in particular felt like plastic <£50 watches. None of the seconds hands hit the markers (unlike say, CWC or Seiko). The Marathon had nice build quality but on the ETA F06 movement the second hand would not stay put on the minute marker when pushing in the crown no matter how gently. Hugely frustrating (though this may not bother you). Had the same problem with the Citizen diver, too.

Sorry to be so negative - just trying to be objective. Of course YMMV.

The best <£200 diver I've bought by far has been the Seiko Solar SNE107. Seconds hand hits all the markers bang on, nice solid feeling movement and only loses 1s/month.

Anyway, good luck with the search!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    OK Simon, I'll chip in. Have owned Luminox and Marathon and Traser and in my humble opinion they are waaay overpriced for what you get. The quartz movements are sloppy and cheap feeling and the GTLS are underwhelming - something which can only get worse with time. I have a GTLS keyring fob which is nuclear, but those on the above watches was pretty disappointing. The Luminox and Traser in particular felt like plastic <£50 watches. None of the seconds hands hit the markers (unlike say, CWC or Seiko). The Marathon had nice build quality but on the ETA F06 movement the second hand would not stay put on the minute marker when pushing in the crown no matter how gently. Hugely frustrating (though this may not bother you). Had the same problem with the Citizen diver, too.

Sorry to be so negative - just trying to be objective. Of course YMMV.

The best <£200 diver I've bought by far has been the Seiko Solar SNE107. Seconds hand hits all the markers bang on, nice solid feeling movement and only loses 1s/month.

Anyway, good luck with the search!
    Hi Geralt,

This is the exact reason why I posted this thread on the forum. I want to hear the good, bad, ugly and S**t that these models have, and at the end of the day, I am looking for the best EDC tough watch that is going to be reliable, dependable practical but still looks good.

I will check out the Seiko model you mentioned, as my old Seiko Monster in black that I have has been a truly awesome piece of kit!

just need a little honesty and a few recommendations from those who have "been there, bought that" and wished they had got something better!

Cheers,

Simon.

Master
    Why don't you save yourself the cash and wear one of the watches from your collection?

Just a thought!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Why don't you save yourself the cash and wear one of the watches from your collection?

Just a thought!
    LOL!

Very true - someone once described watch collecting as an "Illness" - that obsession and compulsion to buy another watch. Its not really an illness, more an interest in collecting beautiful and peculiar time pieces.

I genuinely do have a need for a watch that I can wear daily - i wear my expensive watches on occasions, but really need something to wear daily, as my previous daily beaters just haven't lasted the test of time. - (ironic considering they are watches that tell the time..)

I even thought that if I couldn't find a nice analogue tough watch, I would swap to a digital like a g-shock Rangeman or something..

anyone have any background or can chip in with regards to these?

Thanks for all your help and time,

Simon.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Wear your SD, it will take abuse.

Master
    Hi all,
    • Sapphire Glass
    • Water Resistant to at least 200m (300m preferable)
    • GTLS - Tritium luminescence - (Blue preferable but not essential, more for Cool factor!)
    • Swiss Movement
    • Decent Battery Life, or Automatic
    • Has to be TOUGH!

Simon.
    G -Shock , Seiko etc won't have the Tritium ?

Journeyman
    G -Shock , Seiko etc won't have the Tritium ?
    Indeed!

I may have to expand the Lume front - as long as the watch has decent lume what ever its source it could be considered.

Master
    Buy the Marathon SAR on SC. It'll do everything you need and more. They're fantastic pieces.

Master
    You already own it...

Pointless thread..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    You already own it...

Pointless thread..
    and 'it' being what exactly?

Marathon tsar 36mm is defiantly winning this for me currently.

you cant get away from how many positive reviews people have for them.

yes they are pricey but it sits within budget so currently my number 1 choice.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    Buy the Marathon SAR on SC. It'll do everything you need and more. They're fantastic pieces.
    being in the UK - does anyone know where best to buy a marathon?

I have seen Chronoworld.com sell them, and ship to UK - but when placing an order the shipping inst explained that clearly.

anyone in the uk have marathon if so where did you purchase yours?

thanks,

Simon.

Master
    HH stock some - http://www.heinnie.com/watches/watches/f/brand/marathon

Based in Wales, very good customer service.

being in the UK - does anyone know where best to buy a marathon?

I have seen Chronoworld.com sell them, and ship to UK - but when placing an order the shipping inst explained that clearly.

anyone in the uk have marathon if so where did you purchase yours?

thanks,

Simon.
    Page and cooper now sell them (remember to add on VAT) I acquired the majority of mine before they were available to the general public and have only used P&C for straps.

Dealing with Marathon Direct is painless as well.

There is an ebay seller who can ship from holland as well. I think samdan00 was their user name.

Journeyman
    HH stock some - http://www.heinnie.com/watches/watches/f/brand/marathon

Based in Wales, very good customer service.
    These guys are the cheapest in the UK at £387 inc postage.

Page and cooper were £427 ex vat...

Marathon direct were £306 plus shipping and taxes so worked out the same as heinnie.

Looking good!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Wear your SD, it will take abuse.
    It does and I'm too scared to bash about a £12k sd!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    That I love. Is it a used model?

Journeyman
    Had word from Nite customer services..

They have no clue when their stocks will be available, so they are trying to Palm off 2007 stock in the form of old Alpha and mx20 series watches, which look identical to the new Aqua and nato ones.

But they are calling these old watches limited edition, but as they are old, they are 6-7years towards their Gtls half life!!

And at even more than their current line of stock, at £400 I think they can forget it!

Master
    I don't have access to the sales area yet, do you have a TZ discount code for some shops like HH?

Journeyman
    I don't have access to the sales area yet, do you have a TZ discount code for some shops like HH?
    I don't have access either...

No I don't have any discount codes.. I wish I did!

The prices I quoted were obtained from browsing their sites.. HH defo the cheapest by far...

How about one if these

http://www.certina.com/collection/me...-diver-3-hands

Best quality and value dive watch IMHO. Check your inbox for a PM

I've got one of these puppies ...

Sorry about the stolen pic but it's upstairs and I CBA to do a wristie..... It's a monster but one of my favourites...

Master
    That I love. Is it a used model?
    First one is and a private seller, but the rest are all new and from ADs/trade resellers.
    PM is UK reseller's offer to match one of the prices.
    Last edited by PJ S; 22nd October 2014 at 01:43.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius View Post
    I've got one of these puppies ...

Sorry about the stolen pic but it's upstairs and I CBA to do a wristie..... It's a monster but one of my favourites...
    They are a beast..

bit too expensive for what I am after though...

The colour work chrono is one of the watches i had my eye on.

Journeyman
    Something that was bought up yesterday on this thread, about the UK MOD issuing Citizen eco drive watches to their divers..

It turns out these watches went end of issue on 2012, and were replaced by the new CWC matt quartz diver with new type of luminova on the hands - (it was the lume on these watches that lost them the contract in the first place..)

I found this info on this very forum - with cross referencing to the Mwr forum.

as lovely as the Citizen is - it did reach all requirements except for storage - as it need light to stay powered up, whilst these are in storage for months at a
    time before operational deployment - they would be issued with flat or nearly dead batteries and not hold the correct time. this is why the MOD stopped using them.

just thought i would mention this, as i like both the eco drive, and the new CWC.

According to the link I posted yesterday from MWR. (all credit must go to the lads over there for tracking this info down) CWC lost the contract to supply the MOD in 2003.
    It was thought that CWC may have supplied a small number of divers for testing in 2012 due to the issues you mention (needing light) but this may be a red herring to keep CWC supplying watches to joe public.

- - - Updated - - -

According to the link I posted yesterday from MWR. (all credit must go to the lads over there for tracking this info down) CWC lost the contract to supply the MOD in 2003.
    It was thought that CWC may have supplied a small number of divers for testing in 2012 due to the issues you mention (needing light) but this may be a red herring to keep CWC supplying watches to joe public.

Journeyman

- - - Updated - - -

Gotcha.. So they may well be still using the Citizen - as I have seen two separate FOI requests responses from the MOD floating around online, both of which state that the current (as of 2013/12) issued dive watch for MOD is the Citizen BN0000-04H eco drive.

and rightly so, this red herring may be so that CWC do not fade out of existence as they made their bulk of money on selling "Issued" or current Issue MOD watches. that was always there claim to fame.

I still like the Citizen Eco Drive model mentioned - I have asked a old friend from school days who is still a royal marine commando to find out more about this... he personally wears a Suunto Core all black, as do most of his section, but these are personal purchases and not issued kit.

We all know that in 2012 Seal team 6 acquired these Suunto Core all black watches, as have other forces all over the world.

I will post any info received on here as soon as I get some.

-------------------------------------

UPDATE!

my long time friend in the marines has confirmed that a select few sections in his troop have been given the Citizen BN0000-04H dive watch as their go to issue watch.

he has also confirmed that both SBS and two sections of SAS (30 members in total) have been given them also.

There is a page floating around online that gives the breakdown of who is issued what and ive been forwarded the info via email..

"The new watch is Citizen Eco drive analogue.

NSN is 0883-99-852-5953 Watch, divers. (note change from 6645)

Number issued is 750.

SF Medical Support units get 14 (SBS) and 14 (SAS)

RN SF Diving Units SDU1 and 2 recieve 30 each.

SBS get 90

MW vessels get 6 each.

RN EOD get 15/20 per unit.

It is to be used on its (provided) expanding black rubber strap.

The watch has matt steel case, black dial and bezel insert and will be engraved. (MOD nomenclature on caseback)

No fixed bars sadly

Important Note "It is not personal issue but PLR issue to individuals by units"
    Last edited by Sread01; 22nd October 2014 at 14:31.

Journeyman
    I vote for the citizen Royal Marines BJ9140-01E

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post

That is a lovely watch - but it's expensive for what it is.. It's based on the BM6400 00E
    which is no where near £300 asking price for this..

I also feel £400 for the steel braclet version a rip off... £100 for a steel bracelet?

Journeyman
    That is a lovely watch - but it's expensive for what it is.. It's based on the BM6400 00E

I also feel £400 for the steel braclet version a rip off... £100 for a steel bracelet?
    As much as I like the idea of these, I have to agree they are too expensive.

My vote is with any of the Marathon watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnefko View Post

The guy asks for a diver in the thread title
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

It titanium. Still not worth the rrp

It may not have tritium, but what about the the PRS 18-Q ?

I am slightly amazed it hasn't been mentioned here.

Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    The guy asks for a diver in the thread title
    Yup..

I did specify tritium too. But..

Having spoken to my mate in the RMC, who has one of these Citizen Eco drive bn0000-04h models he has told me that for my use and what I am after, it would suit my needs perfectly as it's tough as nails.

But.. The lume worries me. Does anyone else on here have one that can comment on the lume?

If I don't quite like it, it's defo the Marathon TSAR 36mm for me!

I just can't ignore the citizens all round toughness, as if it's good enough for UK SF and the likes, it's bound to be good enough for me.

I had the earlier "Ray Mears" version before the Marines was sploshed all over the dial.
    Tough as old boots. Really
    The Duratect titanium was almost unmarkable, I succeeded in putting one small mark on it in three years.
    And the lume was awesome too.

How the newer version fares, I am less sure.

But it always disappointed me that Citizen never offered a bezelled version of this watch in the same material, other than the much larger Mission Antarctica and 4x4 LEs

D

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    It may not have tritium, but what about the the PRS 18-Q ?

I am slightly amazed it hasn't been mentioned here.

Dave

Any pics of the PRS 18-Q?