closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 5:2 diet - what do you eat?

5:2 diet - what do you eat?

I'm having a go at the 5:2 diet, if you do or have done it please will you let me have some ideas for meals, i.e. what do you normally have for breakfast, or snacks if you get hungry? Hard boil some eggs and leave them in the fridge, that sort of thing. Do you tend to have your low calorie days on the same days every week?

A link to a good recipe site would be great but I'm interested to hear what works for you. Thanks!

Is this nill by mouth 2 days a week?

I thought you just starved 2 days and ate what you wanted the other 5?

I did it once for a while and it worked well. Not enough calories available for any snacks though. I found the best thing was to make the meals as big as possible which was usually 100g of chicken and a lot of salad or a lot of stir fry vegetables - dry fried. Couldn't do two days on the trot though! After the first few days it gets easy to do without feeling hungry.

I really struggled with it, and after two weeks changed the rules a bit; I didn't eat any carbs during the day (throughout the week, I mean), and then had a normal dinner. I did lose weight fairly steadily, and the added bonus was that I never felt like killing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Is this nill by mouth 2 days a week?

I thought you just starved 2 days and ate what you wanted the other 5?
    Essentially it is but you're limited to 500 or 600 calories per fasting day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Essentially it is but you're limited to 500 or 600 calories per fasting day.
    Ah. Gotcha :)

Sounds tough!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am currently doing this but with the opposite days, so I am 5 days 500-600 calories a day, with two 'cheat' days, where I eat sort of normally, eating kind of children's sized meals, it is not the first time I have down this, I lost 20 Kg last time and was very happy with the results.

I had to do it again after eating far too much on my cruise in August, and continuing my eating for around 6 weeks after, I put around 7 Kg back on. In the last week I have lost just under 2 Kg so on target for Christmas,

this type of diet has also been proven to be good for you in recent study's, forcing your body (through Ketosis) to start repairing DNA, rather than replicating. This can avoid a whole host of cancers.

it will take your body 3-4 day's to enter into Ketosis, eating only 500-600 calories a day, with virtually no carbs, so essentially a high protein diet.

once your body has experienced Ketosis, for a short period, it will take your body a few months to revert back to replicating DNA.

I also take the required vitamins during this period of dieting, to make sure I am not starving my body of any essentials. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    Last edited by soundood; 9th November 2014 at 22:10.

Craftsman
    Two things

According to a GP friend of mine, the two fasting days should not be consecutive ( I won't bore you with the reasons)

These people have the perfect 5-600 cal diet for these days www.lighterlife.com

Good luck with the diet

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Why starve yourself?
    Stop going to eat all those cakes with the office boy. Job done.

Master
    Soundood, what where you eating on the low calorie days? I have just been eating plain cooked chicken breast with avocado or salmon with salad...

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    I am currently doing this but with the opposite days, so I am 5 days 500-600 calories a day, with two 'cheat' days, where I eat sort of normally, eating kind of children's sized meals, it is not the first time I have down this, I lost 20 Kg last time and was very happy with the results.

I had to do it again after eating far too much on my cruise in August, and continuing my eating for around 6 weeks after, I put around 7 Kg back on. In the last week I have lost just under 2 Kg so on target for Christmas,

this type of diet has also been proven to be good for you in recent study's, forcing your body (through Ketosis) to start repairing DNA, rather than replicating. This can avoid a whole host of cancers.

it will take your body 3-4 day's to enter into Ketosis, eating only 500-600 calories a day, with virtually no carbs, so essentially a high protein diet.

once your body has experienced Ketosis, for a short period, it will take your body a few months to revert back to replicating DNA.

I also take the required vitamins during this period of dieting, to make sure I am not starving my body of any essentials. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
    Blimey, good luck with that. One question; is it much fun?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Soundood, what where you eating on the low calorie days? I have just been eating plain cooked chicken breast with avocado or salmon with salad...
    I have purchased the month pack from here, http://www.thenewyouplan.com/ exactly the same as lighter life mentioned earlier, but a lot cheaper, based in Ireland they supply the same products as lighter life without the massive mark up.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Blimey, good luck with that. One question; is it much fun?
    to be honest, life during the week is never 'fun', I have three kids that I get dressed/fed and then off to school, and my wife starts work at 7.30am, I then go to work and finish around 7pm, spend maybe a hour in the gym, come home and spend a little time with the missus and kids and go to bed, slipping the diet into this busy schedule is actually quite convenient, as I can just have my porridge/soups quickly and carry on.

then at the weekend I enjoy some nice foods, salads etc, maybe a nice steak.

I have purchased the month pack from here, http://www.thenewyouplan.com/ exactly the same as lighter life mentioned earlier, but a lot cheaper, based in Ireland they supply the same products as lighter life without the massive mark up.

to be honest, life during the week is never 'fun', I have three kids that I get dressed/fed and then off to school, and my wife starts work at 7.30am, I then go to work and finish around 7pm, spend maybe a hour in the gym, come home and spend a little time with the missus and kids and go to bed, slipping the diet into this busy schedule is actually quite convenient, as I can just have my porridge/soups quickly and carry on.

then at the weekend I enjoy some nice foods, salads etc, maybe a nice steak.
    Best of luck. Do you get to have a nice glass of wine with the steak or is booze verboten?

Craftsman

Well done and good luck!!!

I don't know your age, fitness, build etc.

But this can not work in the real world..,

Trust me.

I was 15 stone for years into adulthood and then for one reason or another went to 24 stone.

Spent 8 months on a hardcore diet as you describe and got back down to 15 stone.

Was happy with my achievements and spent the next two years steadily increasing in girth back to 20 stone plus, all the time thinking no problem it's easy to follow the plan and lose it again...,

It isn't !

Some good suggestins, thank you. Keep 'em coming!

A lot of information here:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ittent+fasting

I have done it for close to 2 years but struggle with it now and don't really lose anything. In fact my loss mainly happened in the first 3 months.

Will be getting Christmas out of the way and doing something else I think just to freshen up. I have eaten healthily for a good period but the last 2 months I've got back into bad ways and need to reign it in.

Craftsman
    I have been doing this on and off for around a year and my approach is to eat a cheese sandwhich, some veg: tomatoes / pickled onions and a piece of fruit (banana or apple) for lunch and that's it, until the next day. As it seems too much of a faf to count calories and spread this all out over 3 meals. I'm also not too obsessive about counting the calories. If i feel hungry in the evening then its probably about right.

It takes a while to get used to feeling hungry, but you never feel hungry in the morning when you wake for some reason. I also try to get in the two fasting days early in the week: Mon and Wed. Then you can look forward to the rest of the week... I once did a fast day on a Friday and that was miserable!

I find it is an easy diet to dip in and out of, depending on the circumstances... I don't bother if on holiday, or at xmas. And find the rules easy to stick to.

At the end of the day, its just reducing the amount of calories you eat over a whole week.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Why starve yourself?
    Stop going to eat all those cakes with the office boy. Job done.
    Don't know about the office boy, not my style, but otherwise, life has to be lived. We're all going to die anyway, so more cakes and more pies. Enjoy.

Yes, I calorie count and have a go sometimes at the 5:2 (not consecutive days, I'm not into pain), and have lost 6Kg over a year. Slowly does it.

Craftsman
    I started the 5:2 in June of this year. I have a bowl of porridge for breakfast (unsweetened with semi-skimmed milk), apple for lunch and another bowl of porridge early evening. Also cut out all the cake, chocolate, buscuits etc from my diet and have managed to get from 107.2Kg to 79.0Kg. Once my weight was down to the high 80s I also started doing a bit of running every other day. I started at around 2km but now easily manage a 13km run in an hour.

I've had to stop the diet as I was losing too much and my calorie and protein intake was insufficient with all the running. The weight has continued to decline albeit at a much lower rate.

I found it easiest to cut the carbs (mainly bread) whilst increasing protein (fish, chicken and protein supplements). Whilst you will feel hungry, it's manageable and you get used to it within a couple of weeks and feel much better.

The downside is having to buy new clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowie View Post
    I started the 5:2 in June of this year. I have a bowl of porridge for breakfast (unsweetened with semi-skimmed milk), apple for lunch and another bowl of porridge early evening. Also cut out all the cake, chocolate, buscuits etc from my diet and have managed to get from 107.2Kg to 79.0Kg. Once my weight was down to the high 80s I also started doing a bit of running every other day. I started at around 2km but now easily manage a 13km run in an hour.

I've had to stop the diet as I was losing too much and my calorie and protein intake was insufficient with all the running. The weight has continued to decline albeit at a much lower rate.

I found it easiest to cut the carbs (mainly bread) whilst increasing protein (fish, chicken and protein supplements). Whilst you will feel hungry, it's manageable and you get used to it within a couple of weeks and feel much better.

The downside is having to buy new clothes.
    Thanks for this. I already have smaller clothes from before I was married and started drinking to compensate. The idea is if I lose weight I don't have to buy any new clothes but will fit back into my old ones!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Don't know about the office boy, not my style, but otherwise, life has to be lived. We're all going to die anyway, so more cakes and more pies. Enjoy.

Yes, I calorie count and have a go sometimes at the 5:2 (not consecutive days, I'm not into pain), and have lost 6Kg over a year. Slowly does it.
    Having lost 4st in a year I'm enjoying slim fit shirts, a flat stomach, being able to run a few miles and being able to ride a bike a hundred miles more than eating excessively

Master
    If you remember this phrase, the rest is easy.

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels ;-)

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If you remember this phrase, the rest is easy.

Nothing tastes as good as a pork pie ;-)

Recently re-started this, mostly the wife's idea be honest, but an example for yesterday was scrambled eggs on one bit of toast, some soup for lunch and some stir fry chicken, small amount of noodles and a decent amount of veg.

Soup for lunch is the biggest change but this time of year its not to bad, it gets a bit boring and any kind of training on the fasting days is a pain in the arse as its pretty counter productive, but for a few months it really can help shift some flab, its not a long term diet in my eyes.

IF your willing to put the time in it doesnt have to be that bad, but it takes a decent amount of planning for the meals not to become ultra boring. Drink more water throughout the day couple of pints more should fill you up and its not bad for you despite what fish do in it.

Wife and I did it for a while to shed a few kg. We bought a book from Amazon that had a load of 5:2 recipes. I would skip breakfast and then have a lunch of half a tub of Glorious soup (you can pick them up from most supermarkets) and then my wife would have made something around 450 calories for tea from the book. The Glorious soups and other brands typically have 110-140 calories per half a pot so are a good choice and easy to pick up.

I found the diet good and if I put on a few kg over a holiday or similar, I would drop back onto it for a week or two. However to keep the weight off, you need to eat healthy the rest of the time or go 5:2 long term.

We've been doing it for 18 months now, good weight loss last year and this year we've moved onto 6:1 from a health perspective and that has kept the weight down

I don't bother with breakfast ands them an Apple and Miso soup for lunch and then often fish, veg and brown rice for dinner

Doing just the one day now on a Monday is very easy after the normal little extra over the weekend :-)