closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which ipad mini for an 11 year old?

Which ipad mini for an 11 year old?

My daughter has asked for an ipad mini for Christmas and, as a Galaxy Tab man, I know nowt about them so would really appreciate your help please.

The mini 3 is out of my price range.

I can get some good deals on the mini 1 but not so much on the 2.

So, what are the key differences between the 1 and the 2? Is an 11 year old likely to have any disadvantages by having a 1?

Thanks folks.

David

I still have an ipad mini 1 that I use on a regular basis. Updated to ios8 last week then 8.1 yesterday and it's running great.

Would say a 1 for the price would be fine for an 11 year old. Whilst the retina versions are better on the smaller screen it's nothing to be overly bothered about. I watch a lot of movies on mine with no issue.

Master
    I have the same issue as you - I have to buy for my neices this Christmas.

I don't have one but here's where I am in my head at the moment.

iPad Mini 2 32gb
    iPad 3 doesn't seem worth it £80 extra for the touch-ID is the common consensus, screen, processor and RAM the same.
    Mini 2 is a little more but the processor is faster and the screen is retina - now that Mini 2 prices have been squeezed by the 3 I see this as a good upgrade.
    32gb because ios 8 will take up well over half of the space meaining that a couple of film and good games and a few albums will fill it. Think ios will fill about 8.5gb of 14gb (you never get 16gb).

27th November is Thanksgiving and Apple usually have discounts on (not much but maybe 10%)
    Keep an eye out here - www.hotukdeals.com - they are good at sniffing out deals.

The iPad mini 1 uses the same internal hardware as the iPad 2. It's really starting to show it's age now since it was first released in March 2011. The sweet spot at the moment is the iPad mini 2. It has the same internals as last years iPad Air with a retina display for £80 less than the near identical iPad mini 3 (which only has the TouchID sensor added).

Since you are buying for your daughter you should use the Apple Education store. The 16GB iPad mini 2 wif can be had for £229.20 and the 32GB for £267.70. I would go for the 32GB version. You can see all the education prices at http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/ipad/compare

Master
    Comparison

http://recombu.com/mobile/article/ap...i-3-comparison

The original iPad Mini is obviously dated now, with its unresponsive, low-res screen and creaky processor, and the fact that it’s only £40 cheaper than the iPad Mini 2 makes it tough to recommend even if you’re counting every penny. It’s fine if you just want something small and light to browse the web, flick through your photo collection and so on, but just four crisp tenners bags you a faster, more capable device with a beautifully sharp screen.
    The iPad Mini 2 also comes in a 32GB model, which would be our personal pick out of all of the iPad Mini variants. For £279 (Wi-Fi only) you get an excellent tablet with enough space for a sizeable collection of apps and media.
    Conversely, the iPad Mini 3 offers too little return for its £319 asking price. For a start, if you want a respectable amount of storage then you’ll immediately have to splash out £399 on the 64GB model - there’s no in-between 32GB option. And considering the only advantage you get is the TouchID scanner, that’s just a pointless waste of cash.

Master
    The Retina display was one of the big selling points for the Mini2. If you can get a good deal on the 2 that's what I'd be going for.

Master
    No apple or otherwise axe to grind but if she wants to store music or videos on it you might be better off with an android tablet with SD card expandable memory.

Whether she'll be happy with anything other than Apple...

As with all IT projects, sit down with the customer and determine what their requirements really are (I want an iPad isn't a requirement it's solution).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    No apple or otherwise axe to grind but if she wants to store music or videos on it you might be better off with an android tablet with SD card expandable memory.

Whether she'll be happy with anything other than Apple...

As with all IT projects, sit down with the customer and determine what their requirements really are (I want an iPad isn't a requirement it's solution).
    LOL. I spend every day of my working like understanding customer requirements and building solutions for them. But we're talking about kids here.

Master
    For an 11 year old a Hudl 2. Great HD screen and does virtually everything an iPad does at a fraction of the cost.
    My 13 year old has had a Hudl1 fir a year and just got a iPhone. He still uses the Hudl everyday.

i just got one of the mini 2 retina's (16gb) from the apple refurb store for £199 - you basically end up with a new machine +warantee , when in stock they go fast so you need to be quick.

Craftsman
    My 14 year old and 10 year old want ipad minis for christmas, they have used Apple and Android products that the missus and I have. The 14 year old has done the research (including extensive use of his Samsung phone and the missus ipad) plus loads on line and reckons the ipad mini 2 is the sweetspot as for him the processor makes a difference, he is happy with 16g as there are enough storage devices about to change whats on it.

So £239 at John Lewis with the 3 year guarantee....... x 2 :(
    Last edited by tintin; 19th November 2014 at 17:11. Reason: Spelling!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post

So £239 at John Lewis with the 3 year guarantee....... x 2 :(
    That's the one I'm pretty sure I want but I can't buy it until December so I'm worried they'll sell out

I've got my 8 year old daughter a32GB Ipad Air.................but I was lucky and got it on staff 20% discount day so it only cost me £270. Hopefully the wife can get her mini back then !!!

Currys currently have ipads with £20 off using there voucher code on there website. so i think the Ipad mini 2 16gb would be £219.

Quote Originally Posted by JTM View Post
    Currys currently have ipads with £20 off using there voucher code on there website. so i think the Ipad mini 2 16gb would be £219.
    I've just seen that tonight thanks but I can't buy it until December.

Blog Entries
    All great comments above. I can only add that it's far better to get the 32GB. The 16GB is too 'small' for lots of music + funny vids + movies...

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    All great comments above. I can only add that it's far better to get the 32GB. The 16GB is too 'small' for lots of music + funny vids + movies...

Menno
    I appreciate that Menno but I can't afford a 32gb for her in the mini2.