closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: some old photos of the Morgan car factory

some old photos of the Morgan car factory

Some of you may know that in a previous life I used to earn a crust as a photographer for the newspapers / magazines, and I've recently started going through my old boxes of negatives. I came across some shots of the Morgan car factory I took many years ago (can't remember exactly when, but probably around 1991). These were shot for a Scandinavian magazine, but I retained all rights hence the reason I still have them. I thought some of you car nuts might be interested to see them?

Brilliant... History in action... I bet the club would love these, especially the owner of the R reg example if its still around......

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Brilliant... History in action... I bet the club would love these, especially the owner of the R reg example if its still around......
    Looks like it is. DVLA says MOT 'til May and taxed 'til September.
    First registered in August 1997 which suggests the photos may be slightly later than the OP thought?

Craftsman
    My husband has asked me to tell you he really appreciated seeing these (he loves the Morgan) so Thank You

Master
    Superb pictures

Superb, thanks for sharing those, thats when cars were built not only by hand, but built to last.

Master
    Really great pictures and you are very privileged indeed to have been there

Quote Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
    Looks like it is. DVLA says MOT 'til May and taxed 'til September.
    First registered in August 1997 which suggests the photos may be slightly later than the OP thought?
    Its his age bless him.....

Master
    Great pics, it does look rather older than 97 but as the only new cars are both R plates 97 would be right.

Its his age bless him.....
    Probably, Jason.

I'm surprised it was as late as 1997, but it obviously was.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could find out who owns the R reg car now? I guess data protection would make it impossible, but I know if I owned the car now I'd like to see that photo

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    ...I came across some shots of the Morgan car factory I took many years ago (can't remember exactly when, but probably around 1991)...

Such beautiful machines, truly crafted by hand - thanks for sharing the pictures.

I wonder how much has actually changed at the factory; whether the modus operandi of production is pretty similar to that shown in your pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    Probably, Jason.

I'm surprised it was as late as 1997, but it obviously was.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could find out who owns the R reg car now? I guess data protection would make it impossible, but I know if I owned the car now I'd like to see that photo
    Maybe the Morgan owners club? I bet there is a forum too..

Most morgans are still on the road
    they just keep getting rebuilt if anything sinister happens to them - as long as you can find a piece of wood with a chassis plate on it you can send it back to morgan and they'll fill in the gaps

I'm sharing these with a mate who ordered a +8 in 1994 - he still has it ... he uses it all year round every year

I was at the factory last year for a Pistonheads Sunday Service, it looks exactly the same now as it does in your photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I was at the factory last year for a Pistonheads Sunday Service, it looks exactly the same now as it does in your photos.
    I bet the factory / owners would be interested in the photos too....

Wonderful pictures. That would be around the time Sir John Harvey Jones was their "Troubleshooter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble...28TV_series%29

I bet the factory / owners would be interested in the photos too....
    Some photos taken at the Pistonheads visit last year

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...l+13&mid=22569

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Most morgans are still on the road
    they just keep getting rebuilt if anything sinister happens to them - as long as you can find a piece of wood with a chassis plate on it you can send it back to morgan and they'll fill in the gaps

I'm sharing these with a mate who ordered a +8 in 1994 - he still has it ... he uses it all year round every year
    I use my '94 Plus 8 all year round too :)

Yet to visit the factory but I don't think much has changed there even though their tech has moved on with the Aero cars.

My car has a galvanised steel chassis, 80 day Cuprinol pressure treated wood frame and a full aluminium body. It should outlast me comfortably :)

I visited there once for a whole week in 1979/80ish. I was an apprentice at an automotive component supplier and we had a problem with the axle we supplied to them. Wheels sometimes fell off, and Morgan didn't think this was a good idea. I was the helper to the QA engineer sent there to check all axles onsite. I remember in one shop, the Forman was about 80. He sat in a chair all day his head lolled back as he slept, with a single bar fire keeping his feet warm. Everything was Victorian, and the photos above don't show a lot changed.

Great photos , thanks for sharing, really capture the hand made production well!

Craftsman

Morgan factory visit

Many thanks for posting.

There have been significant strides in the manufacturing process as witnessed a couple of years ago.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the plus4 I have.