closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Quartz / Omega Meccaquartz / other HAQ

Craftsman

Grand Seiko Quartz / Omega Meccaquartz / other HAQ

I'd really like to add a good quartz piece to my collection sometime in the future; could be a chronograph, time only or anything in between.

Budget isn't yet decided, and I realise that there is a very diverse range.

Some questions:-
    Grand Seiko - are repairs and service available through any Seiko UK dealer?
    Omega Meccaquartz - how reliable/repairable/serviceable are these vintage models?
    Other high accuracy quartz - suggestions?

I have a Seiko Kinetic, but that technology isn't really suitable unless for a daily wearer - I already have one.

Hope to learn a lot from your replies.

NB: I am agnostic to the country of manufacture, so can I ask that this is not addressed in replies?
    Last edited by mostly_lurking; 10th January 2015 at 19:58.

An important (to me) consideration with quartz is will the second hand hit the markers?

I think that Citizen also do some good HAQ?

When I think Hi Accuracy Quartz I tend to think Breitling.

M.

I don't know about taking a Grand Seiko into any AD (wouldn't particularly want to leave it in the hands of H Samuel etc), but I recently bought a quartz GS that was missing a screw for one of the links. I rang seiko UK and they were really helpful - offering to supply one free of charge if I sent the watch off to them. I haven't bothered as yet because I have more than enough links/screws to get a decent fit but If they can supply parts I'm sure they could perform a battery change. It's worth noting that the GS 9F quartz movements have very long service intervals so in all probability you would only ever need a battery change. As an aside I can thoroughly recommend the Grand Seiko as an option.
    Tim

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy1911 View Post
    I don't know about taking a Grand Seiko into any AD (wouldn't particularly want to leave it in the hands of H Samuel etc), but I recently bought a quartz GS that was missing a screw for one of the links. I rang seiko UK and they were really helpful - offering to supply one free of charge if I sent the watch off to them. I haven't bothered as yet because I have more than enough links/screws to get a decent fit but If they can supply parts I'm sure they could perform a battery change. It's worth noting that the GS 9F quartz movements have very long service intervals so in all probability you would only ever need a battery change. As an aside I can thoroughly recommend the Grand Seiko as an option.
    Tim
    Cheers Paddy - the long service life and the sealed movement of the 9F are very, very tempting. I'd love to get one if funds allow in the future. Just wanted to be sure that repairs would be available through a UK dealer if something went wrong with it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    When I think Hi Accuracy Quartz I tend to think Breitling.

M.
    I've owned Breitling mechanicals in the past, and know their quartz models are pretty good. Not sure if they're my style any more, especially now most of their models have increased in size.

Master
    With the exception of the SBGV003/005 models, the rest of current and legacy Grand Seikos all fall within the 36-38 mm range (without crown, in case it wash't obvious) – is that likely to be too small?
    You'll certainly not pick one up in Belfast, nor elsewhere in the province – no-one with the brass hardware has stepped forward to do them, and given how conservative NI tends to be in general, that's unlikely to change for the next 5 years, at least, by my reckoning. So, you're going to have to buy online, and more likely from Japan.

A couple of models which might float your boat:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kaiul/item/21976/
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/t.../item/sbgx069/
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/k...2600008508751/ – Ltd Ed of the first link, with gold seconds hand and seconds track on chapter ring.
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a...0133233100002/
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a...item/10007092/
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a...item/10015210/

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=PJ S;3382221]With the exception of the SBGV003/005 models, the rest of current and legacy Grand Seikos all fall within the 36-38 mm range (without crown, in case it wash't obvious) – is that likely to be too small?

Not too small at all - in fact, ideal, as my other main watches are 41.5mm and 40mm, and I have one at around 35mm. Some days I prefer the feel of a smaller watch. Will have to check out your links when I get back from town!

I've been reading that older model, JDM Grand Seiko quartz watches were better finished than the current models that are being sold in Europe.

See post #48 in this thread for an explanation and some pics: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/the...-673069-5.html

Banned
    If it were me, I would not go past a SQ Breitling.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    If it were me, I would not go past a SQ Breitling.
    Interesting, how do the Breitling SQ movements compare to the Grand Seiko 9F?

I don't have any experience with Seiko GS quartz, but I have several Omega Megaquartz (not meccaquartz, mecaquartz is a mechanical chrono with quartz base mov't by IWC and JLC).

Great value for money, nice case and dial combinations (I really like my two Mariners!).

Quite strong and still working flawless after approx. 40 years.
    I had them serviced btw.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the link PJ, that one's really beautiful, and as near to perfect as I'm going to find as far as box-ticking is concerned; white/silver dial (most of my others have dark dials), 36mm (love this size), the day as a Japanese pictogram. Ok, the last one is a joke, but I don't think it would even be a deal breaker, more like a Microsoft "it's a feature, not a bug". A seriously nice piece.

Is there a way to tell whether it has a 9F movement?

As for brand availability in NI, I'll not hold my breath afaik, the only mid-high end brands we have are Omega, Breitling, Tudor, Rolex, Cartier, Chopard and (big leap) Patek. I've probably missed out a couple, but the point is, it's a seriously limited range. Dublin is much better served. I wonder if there are any GS dealers down there? I don't think so though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I don't have any experience with Seiko GS quartz, but I have several Omega Megaquartz (not meccaquartz, mecaquartz is a mechanical chrono with quartz base mov't by IWC and JLC).

Great value for money, nice case and dial combinations (I really like my two Mariners!).

Quite strong and still working flawless after approx. 40 years.
    I had them serviced btw.
    Thanks for correcting me on the mecaquartz bit - I'd seen them referred to with both terms and plumped for the wrong one!

Good to know that they're strong runners. The seconds hand sweeps, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by mostly_lurking View Post
    Thanks for correcting me on the mecaquartz bit - I'd seen them referred to with both terms and plumped for the wrong one!

Good to know that they're strong runners. The seconds hand sweeps, doesn't it?
    Yes, it is a commonly made mistake, quite a difference though, a chrono or a normal movement.

The second hand of the running chrono on the mecaquartz sweeps.
    The omega Megaquartz (1310, 32 khz) is a modern quartz with a stepper engine, the second hand ticks.

If you are interested in an Omega quartz with sweep seconds, you'll need to find a beta 21 based one!
    They have hands that are driven by a system like the accutrons.

Parts however are hard to find and very, very, expensive...

Craftsman
    The omega Megaquartz (1310, 32 khz) is a modern quartz with a stepper engine, the second hand ticks.

If you are interested in an Omega quartz with sweep seconds, you'll need to find a beta 21 based one!
    They have hands that are driven by a system like the accutrons.
    I like the idea of a quartz that sweeps, but not at the expense of servicing or parts availability. A ticking quartz second hand isn't a deal breaker. I've seen some really nice megaquartz models on eBay recently; just unsure how reliable and repairable they would be as they're all (obviously) vintage models.

Master
    Is there a way to tell whether it has a 9F movement?
    SBGT035, if I'm not mistaken - 9F fitted, one of very few GS designed with day wheel.
    Should be dual language - English & Kanji.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Should be dual language - English & Kanji.
    OK! I forgot that my wee white Seiko 5 is dual language, so you're probably right there.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    SBGT035, if I'm not mistaken - 9F fitted...
    According to this NOS - 'no use one' - listing on ebay, the SBGT035 is indeed a 'caliver 9F83'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRAND-SEIK...item3a9dec0150

I like the idea of a quartz that sweeps, but not at the expense of servicing or parts availability. A ticking quartz second hand isn't a deal breaker. I've seen some really nice megaquartz models on eBay recently; just unsure how reliable and repairable they would be as they're all (obviously) vintage models.
    They are very robust.
    My family owned 2 from new until now: except for flat batteries they never stopped working.
    Parts can be found reasonably cheap on the internet, buy an ugly spare runner.
    Omega can repair them as well, but will charge you a horrible amount of money.

Any decent watchmaker should be able to service them.

They are equipped with full metal geartrain, 8 ruby jewels and are quite overengineered...

Craftsman
    They are very robust.
    My family owned 2 from new until now: except for flat batteries they never stopped working.

They are equipped with full metal geartrain, 8 ruby jewels and are quite overengineered...
    Great info and very reassuring, so I'll keep the Megaquartz on my radar. Thanks Bernard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Interesting, how do the Breitling SQ movements compare to the Grand Seiko 9F?

I've no idea how they compare, I just prefer the style and overall build quality of the Breitlings over what Seiko are offering.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    I've no idea how they compare, I just prefer the style and overall build quality of the Breitlings over what Seiko are offering.
    I'm on the other side. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    I'm on the other side. :)
    Thanks for coming out

Master
    I would be looking at one of the Seiko 9F movements because I think they probably offer the best value for money on a high end Quartz just to the level of finishing and the 50 year service interval thing. Or for a more toolish alternative I would have to be a Sinn UX, genuine awesome tech and the oil filled case is very cool to look at. I find the second hand bounce to be a bit charming compared to other boring Quartz jumps as well.

I do think I will always have a good Quartz in my collection, I have a Victorinox Inox at the moment and to be honest I think it is all the Quartz I will ever want/need

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Concerning cost of ownership and performance as far as the movement is concerned, there is no better choice than the 9F family.

It is way beyond COSC quartz spec accurate, virtually maintenance free, DIY battery replacement and serviceable (theoretically because it does not need any for decades) through the Seiko AD.

About the seconds hand: Well that is accurately on the dot.
    The mechanism is moved by a twin puls step and kept in check by an indicator/anti-backlash provision.
    It precisely and accurately strides from second to second, giving the impression of determination. I like it a lot. It has no equal and as such is one of THE selling points of the 9F generation imo.

at last!

a gs with lume!!!

definatively a must buy!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    a gs with lume!!!

definatively a must buy!
    There are two VERY much cheaper vintage versions which are very good too.

Journeyman
    Found myself looking at some date changes. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKbn38lItE

While the GS has the superfast 1/2000 of a second change the Citizen Chronomaster has a perfectly smooove and satifying flip. Like them both.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Found myself looking at some date changes. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXKbn38lItE

While the GS has the superfast 1/2000 of a second change the Citizen Chronomaster has a perfectly smooove and satifying flip. Like them both.
    The Citizen wins it for me on that front, as it changes exactly at midnight. If a watch is going to change either side I actually want it to have a slow change, so I can know it hasn't happened yet. Saying that, I can't ever remember I time I have been bothered about what the date is around midnight, I am either asleep or out enjoying myself.

Personally I really like the look of at anti-magnetic GS, esp. as it has no date. Would be very interested to hear of any ownership experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Personally I really like the look of at anti-magnetic GS, esp. as it has no date. Would be very interested to hear of any ownership experiences.
    i have owned one for over a year now, no issues and if the case design was to your liking i would not hesitate to recommend purchase. beautifully finished case work, a dial that in real life far exceeds what you see in the pictures (something seiko are really bad at is dial photos) the movement is deadly accurate and the second hand hits every marker (set using time.is and reset at DST and looked like just under +1sec so roughly just under +2spy). the bracelet and clasp are lovely and miles away from the usual bashing comments from those who will not buy to find out for themselves. i tried to take a slow mo video to show the double tick but i failed, there is one on youtube somewhere.

mine below, as nice as any other watch i have owned if you like the styling obviously

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    i have owned one for over a year now, no issues and if the case design was to your liking i would not hesitate to recommend purchase. beautifully finished case work, a dial that in real life far exceeds what you see in the pictures (something seiko are really bad at is dial photos) the movement is deadly accurate and the second hand hits every marker (set using time.is and reset at DST and looked like just under +1sec so roughly just under +2spy). the bracelet and clasp are lovely and miles away from the usual bashing comments from those who will not buy to find out for themselves. i tried to take a slow mo video to show the double tick but i failed, there is one on youtube somewhere.

mine below, as nice as any other watch i have owned if you like the styling obviously
    Thanks for the feedback - great to hear.

Super picture as well.

Blog Entries
    I bet your local GS dealer can service your GS HAQ, at least mine does. If not, they'll just turn it over to the SEIKO UK service center, who services both HAQ, springdrive and mechanical GS models.

And no it's not true that the old GS HAQ models have a higher finish than the new, it's the opposite. Older GS models seem to have all polished hands and indexes, while the new models have brushed tops and polished sides to everything on the dial, making them reflect light better than the old models. There are however some really nice style bracelets that are now out of production. The best imho is the current 5-link bracelet l.

I currently have one GS HAQ, but have owned several, and they never let me down when it came to quality.

Blog Entries
    Just to add:
    The SBGT models are still in production and is more elaborate than the SBGX059/061/063. SBGT are mostly used as a base when GS releases special editions with special dials and specially selected Quartz crystals (+-5spy). Then there are the recently launched SBGV line (007/009/011), these are also more elaborate than the SBGX059/061/063. There are also master shop edition models that are available through order.

Here are two examples:
    SBGT033, limited edition

SBGX083, master shop edition:

Note that this has nothing to do with new vs old, it's different lines of products.

Craftsman
    I'd really like to add a good quartz piece to my collection sometime in the future
    Happened much quicker than I thought!

I've bought a GS, 9F from another guy on here - it's on its way via RMSD! Can't wait till 1pm tomorrow (for some reason, Special Delivery here is nearly always within 10 minutes of 1pm).

Will upload photos when it arrives!

Frank

Blog Entries
    Happened much quicker than I thought!

I've bought a GS, 9F from another guy on here - it's on its way via RMSD! Can't wait till 1pm tomorrow (for some reason, Special Delivery here is nearly always within 10 minutes of 1pm).

Will upload photos when it arrives!

Frank
    Yay! Congrats! In the meantime, here is a video I recorded that shows the two step movement of the seconds hand.

http://instagram.com/p/xgfyUIIEWo/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post
    Yay! Congrats! In the meantime, here is a video I recorded that shows the two step movement of the seconds hand.

http://instagram.com/p/xgfyUIIEWo/
    Ta for the link yonsson!

The GS arrived this morning; really pleased to see the seconds hand hitting the markers dead centre, and the watch is a stunner. I'll be posting some pics up later!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    About the seconds hand: Well that is accurately on the dot.
    The mechanism is moved by a twin puls step and kept in check by an indicator/anti-backlash provision.
    It precisely and accurately strides from second to second, giving the impression of determination. I like it a lot. It has no equal and as such is one of THE selling points of the 9F generation imo.
    Well, mine arrived this morning, the SBGT019, and it's just as you say - the seconds hand lands on the dot without any tremor. The watch itself is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    You promised us pics! :)