closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heart rate monitors - any recommendations?

Craftsman

Heart rate monitors - any recommendations?

Having just returned a Polar Heart rate monitor, I'm after a simple HRM to replace it. Only 2 requirements:
    1. It is reliable i.e. does not lose connection
    2. The display shows me my heart rate and the current time simultaneously

You'd think this would a simple enough requirement but I'm struggling to find one that does this without breaking the bank! I don't need GPS or any other fancy features... Happy to have them as long as they don't make the price prohibitive!

Any suggestions?

Craftsman
    When I used to run I always used a cheap Polar. From memory when you raise the watch part up to the strap it would cycle between HR, Time, stopwatch etc.

A mate gave me one at the start and I didn't know this for a couple of years and wished I had a way of knowing how long I'd run without stopping it. Once I found that out it was grand.

Don't use one now as I swim instead of running, bad knees!

I just started wearing a fitbit thing to count my steps each day, it's a basic cheap one and I'm looking for something better but it's good at what it does.

I'm rambling, but soon FitBit are launching a wrist strap thing that counts steps plus other bits and shows heart rate without the need for a chest strap.

Have a quick google I think it will be worth holding on for, as long as price isn't stupid.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Having just returned a Polar Heart rate monitor, I'm after a simple HRM to replace it. Only 2 requirements:
    1. It is reliable i.e. does not lose connection
    2. The display shows me my heart rate and the current time simultaneously

You'd think this would a simple enough requirement but I'm struggling to find one that does this without breaking the bank! I don't need GPS or any other fancy features... Happy to have them as long as they don't make the price prohibitive!

Any suggestions?
    I've been using the Beurer PM25 for about a year now with no major dramas.

The display is plain and simple displaying time and HR, battery can be changed easily, roughly about £35. Comes with its own HR belt and works on an analogue system so is not prone to interference.

Got mine from Amazon.

I have one of these http://eu.wahoofitness.com/devices/w...e-strap-1.html that connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth.
    Works fine for me since I always carries my phone.

I have (and have had) loads of Suunto stuff. The Movescount online service is not great, but the devices are. Also totally reliable over a rather large number of training hours and events.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll explore!

I have a Mio Link heart rate wrist band, which works with my Concept 2 rower (ANT+). Reliable and much more comfortable than a chest strap.

I've used HR monitors for the last 15 years running & cycling. I've had top end Polars during that time but I love Garmins.

I've an old Forerunner 305 that I love, bit dated now but the large screen is great.

Can be picked up quite cheaply 2nd hand, and some have hardly been used.

Give the chest strap a good clean :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hako View Post
    I have (and have had) loads of Suunto stuff. The Movescount online service is not great, but the devices are. Also totally reliable over a rather large number of training hours and events.
    This

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I just started wearing a fitbit thing to count my steps each day, it's a basic cheap one and I'm looking for something better but it's good at what it does.

I'm rambling, but soon FitBit are launching a wrist strap thing that counts steps plus other bits and shows heart rate without the need for a chest strap.

Have a quick google I think it will be worth holding on for, as long as price isn't stupid.
    I bought the FitBit One in December 2013 when I started walking to work instead of taking the car - I've shed over a stone since then. It does work as an incentiviser, at least it does for me. No good for anyone who cycles, swims or other non-step activities though.
    Last edited by mostly_lurking; 17th January 2015 at 20:47.

Master
    Friend got a Fitbit for Christmas and although a bit gimmicky I thought it was very good for the money and gave some really useful info and he was very pleased with it.