closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tudor didn't return my keeper -RESULT!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I'd have thought that was implied, and my advice was for if they didn't play nice.
    I should have thought so, "need" however implies an imperative. Given the nature of the initial request one can never be too careful in spelling it out clearly.

Master
    The "need" was in speaking directly with Tudor as opposed to the dealer, so that he can get the matter resolved to his satisfaction.
    The AD is unlikely to fund a new strap, even at his cost, and even if it was purchased by the original owner, from their store.
    Last edited by PJ S; 13th January 2015 at 12:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    What state was the main part of the strap in when the keeper broke?

Tudor should sort it. Either by returning your keeper or providing you with a replacement strap.

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Tudor should sort it. Either by returning your keeper or providing you with a replacement strap.
    Wouldn't that be lovely. But how much time and effort would you be putting into this?

Personally if my broken keeper had gone missing, I'd just find something useable off another strap and chalk it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Wouldn't that be lovely. But how much time and effort would you be putting into this?

Personally if my broken keeper had gone missing, I'd just find something useable off another strap and chalk it up.
    I'm with you there, seems so much effort and time wasted on a real none issue
    I mean broken / worn out strap (to whatever degree), buy a replacement, and that's it

I would write (a letter, not email) to the CEO or equivalent at Tudor, send it recorded delivery and then forget about it.
    In a week or two you will probably get a nice surprise.

Craftsman
    Many thanks to most of the users who have been kind enough to afford me some respect in answering my initial post. To a number of those flaming me for sending the watch back to Tudor, you need to read the thread carefully. The strap has been used since March 2014 so not even 12 months of use on a watch costing over £2k. The £200 watch I'm currently wearing is over 4 years old and somewhat tatty but the keepers are still in situ.

With regard to sending in the full watch, it wasn't something I had considered at the time. I don't see how that impacts upon the issue of the keeper. Today, the AD offered me a complimentary strap which I thought was a nice gesture. I'll await Tudor's response before deciding what to do. As some have said, it's more a matter of principle as opposed to the value of the keeper or anything like that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Tudor didn't return my keeper - advice needed plz

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    This isn't about watch parts, you're making this about something else; it's a 2 year old worn leather keeper with the stitch missing. It's gone in the bin, same as if you'd sent the watch off with a snotty tissue in the box.
    Your right, that's a exactly what's happened, but they should not have thrown anything away, thy should have retuned it with everything in the condition they found it. It's really that simple, no matter how trivial it may seem. It's jut good practise.

I don't see how any other argument can be taken seriously.

According to the post above, a complimentary replacement has been offered, so the AD obviously can see an issue too.

I might be being dumb here but I looked at this model of watch a few weeks back in an AD.

The model I looked at was on a bracelet but it came with a free strap as an alternative in the same box. I seem to recall there were two strap styles, a distressed leather one and a sort of non descript blue one but one of the straps was simply a free one. Whatever the impression I had was that you had an alternate strap whatever you bought. Perhaps I am wrong or this was something new or something the AD was doing?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    Your right, that's a exactly what's happened, but they should not have thrown anything away, thy should have retuned it with everything in the condition they found it. It's really that simple, no matter how trivial it may seem. It's jut good practise.

I don't see how any other argument can be taken seriously.

According to the post above, a complimentary replacement has been offered, so the AD obviously can see an issue too.
    Indeed, the AD was very apologetic and the chap I spoke to seemed genuinely surprised and concerned that Tudor either lost the keeper or binned it. Will see how it pans out before the end of the week hopefully.

Master

Same!

Doesn't really matter what state it was in its still your property knackered or not so I would expect it returned, simple!
    I would want everything to remain with a watch for clarity in its heritage, I like knowing the journey its been on and if that includes old straps then so be it, all adds to the whole package for me now! I expect the same with classic cars and wrongly or rightly in others eyes I want to see all historical paperwork and parts with any watch so I would want it returned! If it means you end up with a replacement then great but for me I would want the original back!

Chris

Craftsman
    Wise words sir.

It's no longer a keeper, it's a goner. Sorry 😉

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It's no longer a keeper, it's a goner. Sorry 
    Boom Boom, you're in the wrong job :-)

AD called today to advise that it is going to be escalated to a more senior level within Tudor as they seem to be dragging their heels. Will update when I hear more.

I sent you a PM a while back letting you know I'd sort out your keeper for nowt , why go to all this hassle when I could of re-stitched it for you in five mins ?

Master
    How are you planning on re-stitching what he doesn't have to send to you in the first place?
    If, presumably, Tudor hadn't saw fit to turf the part into the nearest bin, your gesture would no doubt be gratefully enacted upon – but alas, without the piece, it's of no benefit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I sent you a PM a while back letting you know I'd sort out your keeper for nowt , why go to all this hassle when I could of re-stitched it for you in five mins ?
    I quoted you in my initial posts. As yet, I haven't actually experienced any hassle as such. I've taken two phone calls and will let the AD sort it out - I wouldn't let something like this stress me out. Obviously, when the AD sent my watch to Tudor I didn't anticipate any part of the watch not being returned, unless of course they had replaced the whole strap as was suggested may be a possibility initially. Didn't hear anything today so may receive an update tomorrow.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    How are you planning on re-stitching what he doesn't have to send to you in the first place?
    If, presumably, Tudor hadn't saw fit to turf the part into the nearest bin, your gesture would no doubt be gratefully enacted upon – but alas, without the piece, it's of no benefit.

I obviously sent him the pm before the watch was shipped to Tudor.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    I obviously sent him the pm before the watch was shipped to Tudor.
    To be fair, my watch was already with Tudor when I posted up about them being unable to replace the keeper.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Many thanks to most of the users who have been kind enough to afford me some respect in answering my initial post. To a number of those flaming me for sending the watch back to Tudor, you need to read the thread carefully. The strap has been used since March 2014 so not even 12 months of use on a watch costing over £2k. The £200 watch I'm currently wearing is over 4 years old and somewhat tatty but the keepers are still in situ.

With regard to sending in the full watch, it wasn't something I had considered at the time. I don't see how that impacts upon the issue of the keeper. Today, the AD offered me a complimentary strap which I thought was a nice gesture. I'll await Tudor's response before deciding what to do. As some have said, it's more a matter of principle as opposed to the value of the keeper or anything like that.
    If the AD has offered you a complimentary strap, what is left to decide? Why don't you just take it and close the matter - seems like an excellent result.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    If the AD has offered you a complimentary strap, what is left to decide? Why don't you just take it and close the matter - seems like an excellent result.
    It's not a like for like strap they are offering, which is what I would want, although I am grateful to the dealer for offering. It's really a matter of principle as others have said. The AD called yesterday to advise that they have had no response from the Tudor rep as yet and will chase it up on Monday again.

Banned
    AD called yesterday to advise that they have had no response from the Tudor rep as yet and will chase it up on Monday again.
    Watch was taken to AD, complete.

Watch returned from AD, incomplete.

AD's problem.

I assume the strap/watch/keeper was sent to Tudor in the hope of a complimentary whole strap replacement, i hope this is the outcome for the OP and personally i think the chances of this are now much improved since the keeper has been lost

OP are we talking about the hideous faux distressed leatherette thing that Tudor have saddled some variants of this watch with? If So I'd take the AD's kind offer of a quality replacement up pronto.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I assume the strap/watch/keeper was sent to Tudor in the hope of a complimentary whole strap replacement, i hope this is the outcome for the OP and personally i think the chances of this are now much improved since the keeper has been lost
    Thanks for this. I thought they would simply replace the keeper and anything more would be a bonus.

aldfort, each to their own, I really like the distressed strap.

Journeyman
    With the absence of a keeper, it's even more distressed.

First world problem...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlsy View Post
    First world problem...
    Aren't most topics in Watch Talk?

aldfort, each to their own, I really like the distressed strap.
    Funny old world. The thing that actually stopped my buying this watch brand new from Goldsmiths late last year was exactly this poorly made strap. Without word of a lie I looked at it and thought I'd be lucky if it lasted 6 months. (I've therefore deferred the purchase of what is otherwise a really nice watch BTW)
    However on the broader subject of leather straps I've always considered them to be a consumable item. (much like oil and brake pads on a car) and as such to be outside of the terms of the guarantee. Quality leather straps can last several years but in general depending on amount of wear and in what circumstances I expect only a 1-2 year life from the average leather strap.

I am always wondering why people purchase OEM straps ok sideline their silly prices and what high quality replacements cost... Leather straps are wearing out, some faster, some slower but a used strap is not worth a penny in my mind...but why would Tudor want to replace a two year old strap that was not on a recently and new sold watch... It is two years old and worn out somehow... I would be surprised if TS get's a replacement from someone else than the Shop the watch was brought to...

Craftsman
    If you take the time to read the thread, you'll see that the strap has been used for less than 12 months - and in that time, has been worn for between 2-4 days per week to work. For a watch costing over £2k I would expect more...my 4 year old scabby TW Steel watch strap is still in one piece. I could debate it with some folk until I'm blue in the face, the point of the matter is that Tudor should return the watch and all other parts as they receive it. No it's not a huge issue in my life and no it hasn't caused me any stress - in my mind, as trivial as it may sound to some, it's a point of principle. I have to say that although the AD hasn't rectified things yet, they are as dumbfounded as me as to why Tudor would see fit to bin the item in question.

The movable keeper on a Hirsch Liberty which I have on my PRS-21 Voyager came apart recently. I re-glued it, put a couple of tack stitches in it and refitted it. Took about 15 minutes.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The movable keeper on a Hirsch Liberty which I have on my PRS-21 Voyager came apart recently. I re-glued it, put a couple of tack stitches in it and refitted it. Took about 15 minutes.
    I'd need to look into how the uninitiated does this - what sort of stitches and needle do you use? I would probably still have chanced my arm at getting a replacement but it's good to know that a quality DIY repair is possible.

Craftsman
    So today the AD called me to advise that Tudor would simply not supply an individual keeper and as such, my only option would be to replace the strap. Initially, the AD offered to absorb the majority of the cost of a new strap with me contributing £30. After a further short conversation, the AD agreed to waive this and replace the strap free of charge. I'm glad the outcome has been so positive and I have to say, as a result of this, I would definitely consider buying another watch from them in the future as they seem to have gone above and beyond what one would reasonably expect given that it seems Tudor is to blame. On that note, I'm very surprised and quite disappointed that a multi-million pound company had the cheek to request £30 towards a new strap but I know my opinion on this will attract a mixed response on here. Thanks for the advice folks, when I have enough posts, my watch (complete with old and brand new strap!) will be in the for sale section!

Martin

Master
    Blog Entries
    Asking for 30 quid was bizarre!

Selling already though?

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post

Selling already though?
    Won't be able to bond with it now. It often happens if you have a bad experience like this.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post

Selling already though?
    I was planning to sell before this blip tbh - just fancy a change. Yeah, don't get the £30 thing either.

Master
    ...when I have enough posts, my watch (complete with old and brand new strap!) will be in the for sale section!

Martin
    Now this thread makes sense.

when I have enough posts, my watch (complete with old and brand new strap!) will be in the for sale section!

Martin
    I can't wait.

I think you may have a shock when you see what BBs go for on SC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a comment on the missing keeper, but do people expect all part to be returned after a service or overhaul?
    Particularly if sent back to the manufacturers service centre for a re-dial, handset or service case?
    The old parts could certainly have a value, do you all expect them back or not?

Difficult issue. Some companies are reluctant to give the old parts back as it can help to support the trade in fakes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Not a comment on the missing keeper, but do people expect all part to be returned after a service or overhaul?
    Particularly if sent back to the manufacturers service centre for a re-dial, handset or service case?
    The old parts could certainly have a value, do you all expect them back or not?

Your right of course, but a knackered and used keeper will be worth the princely sum of two balloons and a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Difficult issue. Some companies are reluctant to give the old parts back as it can help to support the trade in fakes.
    +1 Not an easy issue, but I think parts being returned is helping the fakers

Master
    Sounds like a result. I am glad it is resolved OP. Unfortunately it does not always end up that way?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's a very good result mate. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Your right of course, but a knackered and used keeper will be worth the princely sum of two balloons and a stick.
    Sold to the man with the deep pockets

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinMasters View Post
    Now this thread makes sense.
    My thoughts exactly.

Craftsman
    Thanks folks, delighted with the result!

Tudor are scum

Only joking

But it does seem a bit harsh after spending over £2k on their watch they basically told you to do one. Top marks for the AD though. Imagine having to deal with those tight arses at Tudor Towers every week – they deserve a medal.