closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tweed strap anyone?

Tweed strap anyone?

Was looking at some of the projects on Kickstarter and noticed this one,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nd-tweed-strap

Although the watch isn't my thing, I like the look of the tweed strap. The strap can be ordered separately. It's certainly different and I have been looking for a dark grey strap anyway.

P.s I have no affiliation to this project! (wish I did judging by the amount that has been pledged so far).
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 16th November 2013 at 21:58.

Just looks a bit odd to me, on the face of it looks like it could be a mess in a very short time.

Yeah, I agree about it not being very durable but I'm curious and I like the fact it's different. Although I do realise there is a reason why it hasn't been done before.

Looks too hairy to me - not very nice in my view

Nope, not nice at all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    But the straps are a splendid idea...

Ronda 1069.... no thanks.

Master
    Schofield do a Tweed...........for £168 ... http://schofieldwatchcompany.com/shop/grey-tweed/
    Last edited by Dapper; 17th November 2013 at 02:01.

It's a no from me.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

The tweed strap isn't for me I'm afraid, but is anyone else astounded by the amount of money raised for this project?

$122,000 (£76,000) in less than 30 days for a quartz watch that looks little different to something like say a Skagen. I don't see anything new in the design, and the movement costs less than £10. Or am I missing something here?

Rich.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    The tweed strap isn't for me I'm afraid, but is anyone else astounded by the amount of money raised for this project?

$122,000 (£76,000) in less than 30 days for a quartz watch that looks little different to something like say a Skagen. I don't see anything new in the design, and the movement costs less than £10. Or am I missing something here?

Rich.
    Nope, other than the old adage about a fool and their money being easily parted. I'm all for supporting a good idea but I don't get this at all. No great novelty here, IMHO.

SGR

Another no here.
    F.T.F.A.

I think I'd happily wear a tweed strap if I could find one that I liked the look of. Unfortunately the ones pictured above look more like carpet underlay. There is, however, likely to be a problem with itchiness though one might get used to it (I spent a lot of time wearing Shirts, KF when everybody else was running around in a Norwegian and found them perfectly fine). I imagine lining the underside may help.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think I'd happily wear a tweed strap if I could find one that I liked the look of. Unfortunately the ones pictured above look more like carpet underlay. There is, however, likely to be a problem with itchiness though one might get used to it (I spent a lot of time wearing Shirts, KF when everybody else was running around in a Norwegian and found them perfectly fine). I imagine lining the underside may help.
    I'm in a similar place - got excited by the post and then disappointed by the strap. Just doesn't look that sexy

I'm interested to see the final product as I think the one shown is a 'prototype'. Also I think the fact that it's leather backed will help with itchiness.

I'm having second thoughts though as it's really the colour I'm interested in. Anyone know where to find a dark grey 'breitling' style strap, available in a short length?

I love tweed, wear lots of it on most days.

But it's not a good material for a watch strap.

(I also love watch straps and have a few. Well, more than a few.)

But this reminds me that a few years ago The Chap magazine (for whom I write) did a "Children In Tweed" campaign

http://www.theguardian.com/g2/story/0,,1644163,00.html

I'm surprised it has the tensile strength required for a strap. Also I imagine the density would degrade quite quickly in such a use. Fine in a coat were I imagine it would be thicker. And as mentioned, it would drive me mad with irritation. The watch looks ok, and would be fine for mr bloggs who knows nothing about watches......

i don't like it

Master
    Rich.
    Yes! Astonishing really. I’ve followed a few small UK-based Kickstarter projects, one or two of which are for products that are sure to do really well and that are original ideas.
    One in particular made excellent use of Twitter and other social media to the point where I was almost getting fed up with hearing about it, with widespread support in relevant forums and online magazines etc. And it took quite a few weeks to get up to £50k ish.

Presumably these chaps are well connected in the mens fashion world, or at least in the world of selling mens fashion online, and have their eye on that market. I’d have thought it was already well catered for by Uniform Wares and similar.

I’m not that impressed with the watch (seconds sub-dial in strange position, totally lacking in anything novel) and, as above, that tweed is too hairy and will look like shit in no time.

They’ll probably do very well :)

Journeyman
    I like it... would be cool though if it came in more lively "tweedy" patterns, the ones that first comes to mind when you think tweed.

Craftsman
    Looks like something the cat drag in:p

The watch looks pretty uninspired to me and the strap doesn't look like a great match. If it was in a case full of fashion watches, I doubt it would get a second glance ...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
    Looks like something the cat drag in:p
    or coughed up.

Looks more like felt than tweed.

Master
    Not for me either!!

Blog Entries
    Well, if the watch project doesn't work out they'll be able to provide excellent consultancy on how to successfully raise money on Kickstarter!

I certainly think there is a "Kickstarter effect," where people enjoy the feeling of being part of the process and buy things they really don't need or for which there's an existing alternative. I suspect it's a bit like those late-night eBay purchases that don't seem such a good idea in the cold light of day.

And I say this because I've done it. Anyone want a strap that lets you wear an iPod Nano like a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by dbt001 View Post
    And I say this because I've done it. Anyone want a strap that lets you wear an iPod Nano like a watch?
    Haha, I've got one of those. At one point the Apple Store carried 7 or 8 different designs to accomplish the same thing, and that's just a little one. I'm sure one of the London flagship stores would have more choices.

I have worn it once or twice, certainly a talking point.

Master
    not for me.

Journeyman
    Me no likey...

The watch is nice enough. Very similar to a NOMOS Orion.

I have no idea why anyone would want a tweed strap though. It looks crap (to my eyes).

Journeyman
    Based on this thread it's clear that tweed straps aren't for everyone, but for those inclined I see that Steveostraps is doing a couple Harris Tweed options in 22mm:

http://www.steveostraps.com/autumn-sales

I was thinking something based on this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Was looking at some of the projects on Kickstarter and noticed this one,

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nd-tweed-strap

Although the watch isn't my thing, I like the look of the tweed strap. The strap can be ordered separately. It's certainly different and I have been looking for a dark grey strap anyway.

P.s I have no affiliation to this project! (wish I did judging by the amount that has been pledged so far).
    Not that unique apparently .......

http://www.birline.com/en/harris-tweed-straps.html

kev

Craftsman
    I'm sorry but....no

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzuli View Post
    Based on this thread it's clear that tweed straps aren't for everyone, but for those inclined I see that Steveostraps is doing a couple Harris Tweed options in 22mm:

http://www.steveostraps.com/autumn-sales
    Well at least Steveo seems to be the only one who actually knows what tweed looks like, although I'll concede that the binliner ones are close.