closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Feel like I'm about 90 - going for computer lesson today

Feel like I'm about 90 - going for computer lesson today

Bought an all singing all dancing MacBook Pro a little while ago..have done well to stop myself throwing it across the room a few times now. Such simple things I want to do (would be able to do in 30secs on Windows laptop) seem impossible on Mac. I know it's me, as these things are capable of all sorts

Just paid £79.99 for a years worth of unlimited 'tuition' at Apple Store. 1st one today...joy...

Quote Originally Posted by watchthisspace View Post
    Bought an all singing all dancing MacBook Pro a little while ago..have done well to stop myself throwing it across the room a few times now. Such simple things I want to do (would be able to do in 30secs on Windows laptop) seem impossible on Mac. I know it's me, as these things are capable of all sorts

Just paid £79.99 for a years worth of unlimited 'tuition' at Apple Store. 1st one today...joy...
    Strange, Macs used to be really intuitive, i could switch between mac and windows with no issue..

Since Steve Jobs Departed i really think mac are starting to lose direction, so in effect, it's not you, its them

Craftsman
    bound to be someone here who could help...i made the transition from windows to linux..to mac

frustrating at times but thats the fun in it

Quote Originally Posted by subzeer0 View Post
    bound to be someone here who could help...i made the transition from windows to linux..to mac

frustrating at times but thats the fun in it
    Odd definition of fun

Will see if they can help with my dramas, if not, you may well see a post later.

Even silly things like iPhoto, seems like it should be a really good program but there are too many restrictions. Lots of complaints similar to mine on the net, so I'm not alone.

Happy Sunday all!

Thanks

I work with computers. Very comfortable with all aspects of windows and Linux/Solaris and indeed their command line interfaces. Macs drive me crazy. Would never buy one, I just don't find them intuitive. Steve Jobs or no Steve Jobs I've always found them that way. iOS is another matter though, way over simplified.

(Obviously Macs are built on top of unix so command line is fine, its just the GUI which is pretty but awful - imo)

I think you're quite right Garmee

Only reason for changing was due to being fed up with bugs etc on Windows laptops and being able to sync to my other Apple products. Regretting it a bit now to be honest. Luckily they have a reasonable resale value :-)

In terms of performance/speed etc you can't knock it. I'm just using 1% of its capability at present.

It's simple - all apple products are built primarily for users, not geeks, so they hide away the stuff that you could hurt yourself with.

I admit to being a full-fat geek, and am more than happy telneting from the cli (for instance) but 99% of the time I don't need to. It just works.

That said, trying to do stuff which is easy on windows (such as edit a photo) can be frustrating - there's no built-in photo editing software, not even an equivalent to Paint.

On the upside, I can't remember the last time I rebooted my (6 year old) MBP.

We are a little Apple focused at the Browneatorium - three iMacs, two MacBooks, three iPads, four iPhones, five iPods... Time capsule, airport... I even have an apple server in the garage rack.

Master
    For me as a windows user at work I haven't found using a Mac too bad the few times I have. Windows 8 on the other hand I find immensely frustrating . I like to think I am fairly tech savvy but can just not get on with the PC at home with windows 8 and as such I am considering buying a MacBook.

That's super frustrating not even having Paint. Get this..I still use my knackered old laptop to edit a photo at the moment, then put onto USB to get back onto MBP. Pointless or what?

You're right about rebooting - never needed to. Battery life is amazing, it wakes up in 1 second even if left for a week.

In that respect, I do like it

- - - Updated - - -

StuS..watch this space, you may be able to buy one soon 😂

I sympathise. I hate it when they upgrade something as simple as excel. I've just switched to excel 2013 and spent the entire time while working out my accounts in the last few weeks shouting "what are you doing now" at the thing. Stuff I could do with a couple of clicks now has to be googled, hunted for, or "oh ok I just won't bother with that".

These technology companies seem to uninvent as much stuff as they invent.

That's super frustrating not even having Paint. Get this..I still use my knackered old laptop to edit a photo at the moment, then put onto USB to get back onto MBP. Pointless or what?

why don't you use Preview or Iphoto to edit photos?

I use both Mac and PC for work and over the last couple of years have moved more towards PC. Do love the traditional build quality of Mac's but they have become very prescriptive locking down hardware preventing upgrade routes etc and moving OSX towards iOS to unify products. For a simple home life it is probably great but if you are looking for control under the bonnet then PC is just easier atm.

Have you tried GIMP as a (free) photo editing software?

After 8 years on mac I could say the same about windows :)

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    After 8 years on mac I could say the same about windows :)
    I hope this is how I'll be in a couple of years. I know they're capable of all sorts, but I've used Windows for 20+ years, so will take some getting used to.

Downloaded GIMP, but still not as good as Paint in my opinion.

I struggled to delete an area, and then fill that area with matching colour. (Think registration number; wanting to delete everything except '13' from DE13 OHF to hide the reg number in photos)

I struggled to delete an area, and then fill that area with matching colour. (Think registration number; wanting to delete everything except '13' from DE13 OHF to hide the reg number in photos)
    10 seconds with Preview - draw a rectangle, fill with any colour you like, save, done.

Have to have a look at that. That's how easy it is on windows with paint, right click, edit, save..done

Master
    The problem isn't that macs are no longer intuitive (Yosemite functions are mostly the same as they were at the first release of osx). The problem is that many ex windows users struggle because the windows system has trained them for so many years to do things in a very convoluted way.

I recently switched both my uncle and my dad over to Mac as I got a load of cheap imacs from work. After a short bit of instruction the 2 of them say its like somebody turned the lights on.

A few years back I purchased my first Mac (G5) - what a bust - made worse because it suffered from the "motherboard capacitor" problem - £250 quid to fix, but still cheaper than a new mother board quoted £1000 by Apple - which was more than a new G5!.

Horrible GUI and not as easy to use as Windows 95 upwards. I did consider Boot Camp, but could not be arsed. We ended up using it as a store for ITunes, iPhoto and to surf the Internet. Using it for writing a document, excel, etc was simply to difficult. TimeMachine was pretty good.

Its now gone thankfully and been replaced with a 23" Touch screen all in one running Win 8.1 - very good. All connected to my own Cloud - no more ICloud except on my phone.

All my IPads/iPhones etc will be replaced over time with Window/Android devices.

Master
    If you struggled to write a document then i don't think the computer was the problem.

Journeyman
    I bought a laptop the other year that's got Windows 8. Thing sits there gathering dust as it's that frustrating to use.
    Was ready to launch it through the window on a good few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by JS1873 View Post
    I bought a laptop the other year that's got Windows 8. Thing sits there gathering dust as it's that frustrating to use.
    Why do you think it's called windows?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dickbrowne View Post
    Why do you think it's called windows?
    Haha!! Thing would just randomly open up other apps or opening up new screens all the time.
    Obviously something I was doing but still not sure what it was.

I went from windows lap top to iMac about 4 yrs ago and i used to overthink things on the Mac it was actually simpler and i found more intuitive than windows but I'm only a dabbler self taught no expert!
    I have to say a lack of image altering programs on the Mac is a pain but i can just about do what i need by editing in iPhoto its mainly blurring things out and re sizing which i use preview for.

I found that I could take up the Ipad on the day I got it and it just worked - no doubt because I had no precedent for use. I cannot get on with OSX in what ever variety and I'm pleased to hear that I'm not alone. There seems to be an Apple way and no other and some of us like being able to tinker under the hood a little. I run both Windows 8 and Ubuntu (plus have a couple of other Linux distros on other machines) and I took to Linux like a duck to water (I'll admit I struggled with some of the earlier distros which required drivers to be loaded by command line interface but that's almost unheard of these days). SWMBO has a Macbook of the same age as a machine that I have running Ubuntu and hers runs like a dog compared to mine so I'm not even sure that the performance excellence is quite what people claim (I also have Windows 10 running on exactly the same model of laptop and that flies however I'll confess that I only use it for applications that don't really embed personal data such as Iplayer - plus it's beta so no doubt some bloatware will arrive eventually).

Obviously it's horses for courses and I'm not trying to proselytise for either Windows or Linux - just that I know what works for me.

I hope this is how I'll be in a couple of years. I know they're capable of all sorts, but I've used Windows for 20+ years, so will take some getting used to.

Use selection tool to select required area then paint bucket tool to fill with colour of your choice. Colour can be picked using colour pick tool to match existing colour in image, or selected from the the colour palette.

It is more akin to photoshop than paint so of you can coming from the latter then I can appreciate it might not be that intuitive.

PM me if you would like a step by step.

EdUK

I did actually try the free version before and it is very similar to Paint.

The area I deleted left a black line around the outside. Filling was no problem, but the line which was left didn't look clean.

I'll try again later and see how I get on. If it's OK with you, I'll send you the end result??

Thanks again,

Blog Entries
    What do you find frustrating? The Start Screen? If so, don't use it. Install Classic Shell or Start8 and you'll have a Start Menu back. You'll hardly ever need to see the not-Metro UI any more. This way it works like a slightly improved Windows 7.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What do you find frustrating? The Start Screen? If so, don't use it. Install Classic Shell or Start8 and you'll have a Start Menu back. You'll hardly ever need to see the not-Metro UI any more. This way it works like a slightly improved Windows 7.
    The way it opens up other windows/apps if you move your hand across the touch pad.
    I'm pretty much computer illiterate but I'll have a look at these programs you've suggested.
    Thanks

The way it opens up other windows/apps if you move your hand across the touch pad.
    I'm pretty much computer illiterate but I'll have a look at these programs you've suggested.
    Thanks
    Think that's settings for the touch pad. By default they work with phone-type gestures, so double finger pinches etc lead to all sort of stuff happening. Best disabled (especially to start with).

I'm using Windows 8.1 and haven't needed to install any add-ons - put required programs on task bar and no need to venture to Metro UI.

Craftsman
    If I need to learn how to use new phones, tablets etc. I give it to my son (8 years old) for a while, and next day he can teach me how to use it. Simple. :D

-OD

Blog Entries
    It sounds like Classic Shell or Start8 might well help.

Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/

Start8: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Personally I prefer Classic Shell as it's free and does all I need. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by odgreen View Post
    If I need to learn how to use new phones, tablets etc. I give it to my son (8 years old) for a while, and next day he can teach me how to use it. Simple. :D
    Hehehe

Master
    I made the switch from Windows to Mac about 6 years ago and it was like someone turning a light on. Bear in mind I am on the lighter side of 25 years and all things technological come easily to me.

Macs are just easier, thats all you need to know. The first time I went back to a Windows machine (last year for work) I damn near lost my mind with it as I was trying to open a folder and it wasn't doing it. After a while I realised I was only clicking once.

Little things like single click opening and gestures make simple tasks and day to day browsing even easier.

Touch-wood I haven't had a single problem with viruses or anything in my ownership, the only complaint is the battery has completely died, probably get an hours use of it max but then I never am in a situation when I don't have a power cable.

Best purchase ever (even better as I got student discount when I bought it from Apple!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Macs are just easier, thats all you need to know. The first time I went back to a Windows machine (last year for work) I damn near lost my mind with it as I was trying to open a folder and it wasn't doing it. After a while I realised I was only clicking once.
    You can have Windows open folders with single-click if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Little things like single click opening and gestures make simple tasks and day to day browsing even easier.
    It's just different. If you like the Mac way then so be it. Both ways work for those who prefer them.